PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Starbound Races (Need Feedback)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-11-22, 01:45 AM
Based on the Chucklefish game.

Threw this together today using the 5e D&D rules. I'm wondering whether it's necessary to give them more racial traits or not. Feedback?

Apex
Primates who live in a thoroughly Orwellian empire.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.
* Educated: Choose two types of tools or vehicles. You are proficient with both.
* Paranoia: You have proficiency in the Insight skill.
* Agility: You can climb at full speed. Anytime you make a Strength (Athletics) check to climb, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

Avian
Flightless birds whose government is an expansionist theocracy.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
* Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the glaive, halberd, and pike.
* Sharp Eyes: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
* Light Bones: Your maximum jump height is doubled. Reduce any falling damage you take by 15.

Floran
Carnivorous plants who have a nasty reputation as raiders.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
* How Did You Do That!?: As a bonus action you can make an Intelligence check with proficiency and advantage to get a desired result out of any computer, electronic device, machine, or vehicle. The DC is no higher than it would be for someone with tools and a few minutes to work on it. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again until you take a long rest.
* Venom: You have a bite attack which is treated as a one-handed light melee finesse weapon. On a successful hit, your bite deals 1d4 + Constitution modifier poison damage. A living creature who is dropped to 0 hit points by your poison becomes paralyzed for 1d4 hours and is stable.
* Photosynethesis: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws while standing in direct sunlight. When you take a short rest in direct sunlight you regain an additional 2 hit points per Hit Die rolled.

Glitch
Robots that have feudal societies inexplicably spread across the galaxy.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
* Armor Training: You have proficiency with light and medium armor.
* Simulated Anatomy: Although your body has almost all of the needs of a biological one, you are still made of inorganic components. You have resistance to psychic and poison damage.
* Tireless: You have the ability to sleep, dream, and feel discomfort, but your limits are far beyond those of other races. You are immune to exhaustion and the poisoned condition.

Hylotl
Amphibious folk who have a rich culture focused on peace and enlightenment.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
* Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
* Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
* Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for a number of hours equal to your Constitution score.

Novakid
Plasma beings that build anarchic frontier settlements.
* Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
* Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the hand crossbow, light crossbow, and heavy crossbow.
* Plasma Body: You have resistance to cold and fire damage.
* Glow: Your skin glows, providing bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. You can reduce your light's intensity or suppress it entirely just by thinking about it.

Terran
A rather immature race, mostly harmless.
* Ability Score Increase: Your ability scores each increase by 1.

Rfkannen
2014-11-22, 09:51 AM

Threw this together today using the 5e D&D rules. I'm wondering whether it's necessary to give them more racial traits or not. Feedback?

Apex
* Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 2.
* Educated: Choose two types of tools or vehicles. You are proficient with both.
* Agility: You can climb at full speed. Anytime you make a Strength (Athletics) check to climb, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

Avian
* Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 2.
* Light Bones: Your maximum jump height is doubled. Reduce any falling damage you take by 15.

Floran
* Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 2.
* Technophilia: You have proficiency with all computers, electronic devices, machines, and vehicles. You also have proficiency with the tools used to maintain them.
* Photosynethesis: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws while standing in direct sunlight. When you take a short rest in direct sunlight you regain an additional 2 hit points per Hit Die rolled.

Glitch
* Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 2.
* Tireless: You are immune to exhaustion.

Hylotl
* Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 2.
* Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
* Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for a number of hours equal to your Constitution score.

Novakid
* Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 2.
* Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the hand crossbow, light crossbow, and heavy crossbow.
* Plasma Body: You have resistance to cold and resistance to fire.

Terran

For all the races besides Terran I would only add 1 to the second stat, and instead add another racial trait. For example, add the abilities from the racial armor to the races themselves.
With florans.... What? I may not have played starbound in a while but I am pretty sure they are technophobic and savage hunters. Also aren't they kind of stupid?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-11-22, 11:50 AM
With florans.... What? I may not have played starbound in a while but I am pretty sure they are technophobic and savage hunters. Also aren't they kind of stupid?

They're surprisingly good at reverse-engineering technology and repairing starships. What if I change Technophilia to this?

How did you do that? As a bonus action you can make an Intelligence check with proficiency and advantage to get a desired result out of any computer, electronic device, machine, or vehicle. The DC is no higher than it would be for someone with tools and a few minutes to work on it. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again until you take a long rest.

Rfkannen
2014-11-22, 12:03 PM
They're surprisingly good at reverse-engineering technology and repairing starships. What if I change Technophilia to this?

How did you do that? As a bonus action you can make an Intelligence check with proficiency and advantage to get a desired result out of any computer, electronic device, machine, or vehicle. The DC is no higher than it would be for someone with tools and a few minutes to work on it. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again until you take a long rest.

That sounds good. Still feels weird for them to be intelligent though. I would switch their int to charisma to represent how predatory scary they are. I do rather like how did you do that though, maby int should be kept to work with that.

Overall I just want to say that I like these :)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-11-22, 02:37 PM
Alright, an extra racial ability for each of them.

Perasha
2018-06-24, 11:11 AM

Apex
* Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.

Avian
* Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Floran
* Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
* How Did You Do That!?: As a bonus action you can make an Intelligence check with proficiency and advantage to get a desired result out of any computer, electronic device, machine, or vehicle. The DC is no higher than it would be for someone with tools and a few minutes to work on it. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again until you take a long rest.
* Venom: You have a bite attack which is treated as a one-handed light melee finesse weapon. On a successful hit, your bite deals 1d4 + Constitution modifier poison damage. A living creature who is dropped to 0 hit points by your poison becomes paralyzed for 1d4 hours and is stable.

Glitch
* Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
* Simulated Anatomy: Although your body has almost all of the needs of a biological one, you are still made of inorganic components. You have resistance to psychic and poison damage.
* Tireless: You have the ability to sleep, dream, and feel discomfort, but your limits are far beyond those of other races. You are immune to exhaustion and the poisoned condition.

Hylotl
* Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
* Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Novakid
* Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
* Glow: Your skin glows, providing bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. You can reduce your light's intensity or suppress it entirely just by thinking about it.

Terran

Not having read any other's responses, here's my advice, trying to keep the simplicity of 5e and comparing them with other races:

Apex
- I'd replace Agility with a simple climbing speed of 20 feet, to keep it on par with official races (like the tabaxi). Otherwise, neat.

Avian
- Light Bones is the major issue. Monks get something that's a bit better, but at *4th Level*. Perhaps keep it equal to your level or change the trait entirely, it's op at this stage.

Floran
- I like photosynthesis, and the bite is nice. But after those two, "How Did you do that?!" seems a bit much and probably more complex than it needs to be. A simple proficiency in Investigation, or advantage on checks, would probably be better.

Glitch
- Tireless is quite overpowered; not having to worry about exhaustion might not seem like much, but in the moments when it does matter it's still powerful. Otherwise I like it.

Hyotl
- In 5e, Tritons can breathe air and underwater, so I'd give Hyotls the same thing.

Novakid
- You basically did what I did in terms of Novakid! Though, I gave mine resistance to Radiant and Fire, and shined bright light for a 5 foot radius and dim light for an additional 10. In Starbound you don't even glow, so that bright light for 30 feet would get annoying to other players very quickly.

Terran
- There are already humans, you don't necessarily need to reinvent the wheel...

Very last thing, I honestly also disagree with many of the weapon proficiencies. I see it as pointless when, if you're going to be a fighter type character, you're going to have those proficiencies anyway. If you're a wizard, you won't need them.

All in all not bad!

Dragonkingofth
2018-06-27, 04:16 PM

Apex

Avian

Floran

Glitch

Hylotl

Novakid

Terran

I think You have one main problem: not enough flavor. See when I do a race, even if it's a direct port, I always 'twist' the race's backstory so it fits into my version of D&D. If i Make a race of dinosaur people I don't just make stats, I make fluff to go with else I find it too dry to work with.

So how do you intend this document to be used? Do you only expect it to be used in D&D star bound settings or plunked down into a more regular D&D time and place. The former seems unlikely since Nova kids have proficiency with crossbows and not cowboy guns. That points to a group of Novakid on some random D&D planet without access to advance technology making due with the nearest equivalents to there preferred cultural equipment of old west fire arms. So how did they get there? Do we have a WoW Draenei situation? What are they like? What does the more normal races think of the glowing star people?

Stat's wise I think they might be a smidgen undertuned. High elves get a free cantrip for example and Teflings get a couple. The Floran feel the most flavorful since you caught the themes of being a plant person and there thing with technology, but the Glitch? They are a race of Robots that think there organic and I can't help but think you did not quite grasp that in the mechanics in an interesting, if unbalanced, way.

That's just my thoughts though, I tend to favor designs that are overturned and may be too strong in the name of something that's interesting and more accurately captures the theme and spirit of what I'm brewing.