PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Should I build warlock 18/bard 2 or warlock 19/bard 1?

ghost_warlock
2014-11-22, 05:24 AM
Our group is starting our first 5e game in a couple weeks, playing through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure path. I've decided to play a Great Old One/Tome warlock character that dips a bit into bard at 3rd-level for some back-up healing, a couple extra spell slots, and a bit more versatility (extra skill proficiency as well as more spells known).

Dipping one level into bard has a lot to offer, especially since the warlock capstone is pretty flaky anyway. However, I'm not sure it's worth picking up a second level. Jack of All Trades and Song of Rest seem okay, and an extra spell slot never hurts, but are they enough to justify delaying my warlock progression? On the odd chance that the campaign lasts that long, I'd also be giving up the 19th-level feat (since my Cha will be maxed long before that).

The rest of the party consists of a druid (shapeshifting-focused), a cleric (war domain), a ranger (archery), a rogue, and a fighter (no idea about the sub-builds for the rogue and fighter).

Edit: Looking over some of the other threads around here right now, I suppose I should note that this character is intended to be playable from 1st-level & up. :smalltongue:

Backstory for those interested in that sort of thing:

Stretching back into antiquity, the members of Julian's family have almost universally been druids. A firm believer in family traditions and the sanctity of the natural world, Julian had planned on following in his ancestor's footsteps. However, despite his most earnest efforts, druidic magic proved to be impossible for him to perform. He proved to be a capable naturalist and herbalist, but lacked any ability for druidic spellcasting or shapeshifting.

In the end, his elders had no choice but to halt his training and put him to work in other ways, never fully initiating him into the Order. They assigned a remote stretch of land to him, placing an ancient ruin there under his watch. He spent long, nearly solitary months there, caring for the forest, aiding the locals who lived in harmony with the woods, and giving directions to the sparse travelers.

He often stayed awake long into the night, staring up at the night sky and whispering wishes and pledges upon the stars as he tracked their progress across the wheel of night. Gradually, he began to notice that some of the stars were whispering back.

A multitude of odd, sometimes sickly, colored lights in the black sky - Acamar, Caiphon, Delban, Gibbeth, Hadar, Ihbar, Khirad, Nihal, Ulban, and Zhudun - the stars whispered prophecies to him - foretelling a terrible doom that was about to befall Toril. Vague and confusing, the prophecies were never whole enough for Julian to completely understand what, exactly, was the cause of this terrible apocalypse now what, if anything, he could do to prevent it.

Eventually, however, a group of emissaries came from the stars and told him they could help - for a price. They called themselves the mi-go and said that if he pledged himself in service to them, they would change him and, thereby, grant him fantastic powers to fight back against the coming destruction. Without a moment's hesitation, he agreed.

With surgical skill unknown in the Realms, the plucked his brain from his body, placed it within a special canister, and made their adjustments. He hallucinated wildly with mad, waking dreams while they altered the structure of his mind but, before long, they reunited his brain and body and declared their work complete. With that, they took their leave.

The next morning, Julian left the ruins, seeking to test his new abilities and discover what he could about the coming doom.

Madfellow
2014-11-22, 09:49 AM
If this influences your decision at all, you should know that the Tyranny of Dragons storyline only goes up to level 16.

To answer your question, though, it's basically a calculated risk. The way the Warlock progresses, if you dip two levels of Bard you will always be one spell level behind the other casters, which can be a big deal. If you dip only one level, you'll still be a bit behind but the gap will be much smaller. Personally, I don't think it's worth a second Bard level.

ghost_warlock
2014-11-22, 10:31 AM
The DM says he has content up until 20th, though I have no idea what that would be.

And, yeah, the bard level pushing my invocations and higher-level spells back further is something I was concerned about. I wasn't really worried about keeping up with the other casters as I was getting the crucial parts of the build as well as the pact benefits early enough that they actually have a meaningful impact on the game.

Really, I was looking for a reason why the second bard level is a really good idea and I wasn't really seeing one besides the vague idea that some extra heals and the small bonus to my seldom-used skills could come in handy. I guess I'm pretty much talked out of double-dipping so thanks! :smallsmile: