PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Traits and Flaws Selection

Chester
2014-11-22, 08:17 AM
So, my group has placed the option of Flaws and Traits on the table for our next campaign.

We're starting at ECL 2, and I've built a Warforged Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1 / Dungeoncrasher 1 to start. I'm on the road to Warforged Juggernaut, followed by either Frenzied Berserker or War Hulk (if we can manage to find a rules-friendly way to "rebuild" me, but that's not the point).

I'm looking for ideas for flaws and traits to select (or, of course, I don't have to take them at all). Any suggestions?

Starting attributes are listed below.

We begin with 41 point buy; I'm also open to suggestions about how I might rearrange some stats. I kept my INT up for skill points.

STR 18
DEX 10
CON 19
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 8

ranagrande
2014-11-22, 08:28 AM
I'm a big fan of the Quick trait, especially for a charger. With that high of a Constitution it wouldn't really hurt you much to take the Frail flaw too.

Chester
2014-11-22, 08:35 AM
I'm a big fan of the Quick trait, especially for a charger. With that high of a Constitution it wouldn't really hurt you much to take the Frail flaw too.

Frail is actually pretty good....my buddy's building an artificer, back story that he rebuilt me, so the frail thing might actually be flavorful in that, as a low level artificer, he didn't do a perfect job.

Palanan
2014-11-22, 09:26 AM
Shaky seems perfect here. You're running into people rather than shooting at them, and you have no Dex to speak of anyway. A minor penalty to something you'll rarely use seems like a good fit.

Inevitability
2014-11-22, 10:13 AM
The 'polite' trait would be hilarious here. Not the best option mechanically, though.

torrasque666
2014-11-22, 10:29 AM
Shaky seems perfect here. You're running into people rather than shooting at them, and you have no Dex to speak of anyway. A minor penalty to something you'll rarely use seems like a good fit.

While normally I'd say that this is a horrible way to go about picking your flaws as I personally feel they should either have a significance or a roleplaying aspect, here it works. You have no dex, and you're slightly shaky because of it. Or especially if you take the quick trait. Bit hyperactive.

ALso with that Dex, it becomes that much more significant if it becomes needed.

Also, see if these flaws will fly. I've found them to be very nice. http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/flaws

OldTrees1
2014-11-22, 01:14 PM
Since the option for flaws was placed on the table, I would presume that your DM is not expecting abuse. Make sure your flaws have bite.

Inattentive(-4 Listen/Spot) and Unreactive(-6 Initiative) are probably fair for the feats you would be taking.

If the Dragon Magazine flaws are allowed(see link above me):
Cautious (skills take longer, -2 Initiative)
Claustrophobia (occasionally be shaken)
Curious (-2 Listen/Spot, -2 Initiative)

Brookshw
2014-11-22, 01:34 PM
What's your character's personality backstory like?

Chester
2014-11-22, 02:50 PM
Also, see if these flaws will fly. I've found them to be very nice. http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/flaws

A lot of those looked good and flavorful, especially the ones associated with Rage. Thank you!

Since the option for flaws was placed on the table, I would presume that your DM is not expecting abuse. Make sure your flaws have bite.

Yeah, I'm of the position that the group should agree on your flaws; too much room for abuse.

What's your character's personality backstory like?

Well, another group member (an artificer) finds him and rebuilds / restarts him. I follow my companion around as his protector and pupil; he is absolutely the boss and knows EVERYTHING (highly intelligent, no wisdom / common sense). Despite my role as a literal tank, I'm emotionally "fragile" and unable to comprehend multiple negative emotions (sadness mixed with anger and regret, for instance), which often sends me into a rage. I am overly protective of my friends, and I often react with anger without thinking ahead of the consequences. Hence, rage ability and chaotic good alignment.