PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dwarf monk favored class option

ohil
2014-11-22, 10:02 AM
It says reduce the items hardness by 1 so at level 4 it would be 4 but does this stack or is it just for my hit. For example say trapped in jail and have to punch my way through metal bars with hardness 20 does it lose all its hardness after 5 hits or I just ignore the first 4 points of hardness each time?

jjcrpntr
2014-11-22, 10:25 AM
It says reduce the items hardness by 1 so at level 4 it would be 4 but does this stack or is it just for my hit. For example say trapped in jail and have to punch my way through metal bars with hardness 20 does it lose all its hardness after 5 hits or I just ignore the first 4 points of hardness each time?

Not that I'm planning this but, please if it happens do this. Hilarity would ensue

ohil
2014-11-22, 10:30 AM
Oh busy huh lol so which way does it work because this has happened to me.

DJroboninja
2014-11-22, 11:18 AM
Based on the way it is worded, it looks like the monk's unarmed strikes ignore that much hardness when attacking an object, rather than permanently reducing it.

Otherwise, a dwarf monk who takes that favored class benefit for just one level could destroy anything with his bare hands, given enough time ("that mountain is in our way" "not for long, laddie")

mealin
2014-11-22, 12:04 PM
Otherwise, a dwarf monk who takes that favored class benefit for just one level could destroy anything with his bare hands, given enough time ("that mountain is in our way" "not for long, laddie")

Sounds perfectly dwarven to me...

Reminds me of a Magic card: Tough as the Mountains and twice as stubborn

Baroncognito
2014-11-24, 02:39 AM
I think that it actually reduces the hardness. If they meant that you should ignore a certain amount of hardness, I think they would have written it as "You ignore" or "The objects hardness counts as being so many points lower when you attack it" but this has a very similar phrasing to Flensing Strike (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Flensing%20Strike).

grarrrg
2014-11-24, 11:35 AM
I think that it actually reduces the hardness. If they meant that you should ignore a certain amount of hardness, I think they would have written it as "You ignore" or "The objects hardness counts as being so many points lower when you attack it" but this has a very similar phrasing to Flensing Strike (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Flensing%20Strike).

Unlike Flensing Strike, the Hardness-reduction does NOT state that multiple hits stack. So it doesn't matter how many times you punch, only the 'best' applies.

The next question becomes, "Should ONLY the Dwarf Monk benefit from this? or do the other party members get the benefit as well?"