PDA

View Full Version : Where's the spell for waking up the party?

odigity
2014-11-22, 02:49 PM
3.5 had a spell that would immediately and quietly wake up the rest of the party, which is usefull when you're on watch and see danger approaching, and also during combat if the enemy casts sleep successfully.

I can't find any equivalent in this edition.

MaxWilson
2014-11-22, 02:58 PM
I suggest the Message cantrip, followed by Shatter, and if necessary by Blade Barrier.

Arzanyos
2014-11-22, 03:16 PM
I think here the verbal component is "What'd the five fingers say to the face?" This, Fighters are the best alarm clocks.

odigity
2014-11-22, 03:57 PM
Wow. You both just suggested ways of waking people up one at a time; and one of you suggested waking up everyone using a loud, damage-dealing 2nd level spell.

The fail is strong with this thread.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-22, 04:26 PM
In order to wake someone, you need to shake them or deal damage to them.

So Earthquake should do the trick on both levels.

odigity
2014-11-22, 04:36 PM
I give up.

Back to the four-long-strings plan, I guess...

Arzanyos
2014-11-22, 04:49 PM
No no no, a level twenty fighter can slap up to four people awake at once!

Dalebert
2014-11-22, 04:50 PM
Create Water right over their heads.

You're getting frustrated, aren't you?

You probably mean the Alarm spell which can be cast as a ritual. It can be mental but then only the caster hears it. If you want it to wake everyone, it will be noisy.

The only thing I can think of was a magic item--the Orb of Wakefulness or something like that.

Abithrios
2014-11-22, 04:51 PM
Wow. You both just suggested ways of waking people up one at a time; and one of you suggested waking up everyone using a loud, damage-dealing 2nd level spell.

Not so much fail as troll. Speaking of which, you could get a troll to wake them up.

On a more serious note, is alarm what you are looking for?

People tend to be very sensitive to the sound of their own name, so whispering their names should do the trick, if they are sleeping naturally.

Dalebert
2014-11-22, 04:53 PM
A message cantrip was able to whisper into the ears of multiple people all at once but I see that it has now been nerfed. It used to last 10 mins / level and have multiple targets. Now it's one target and 1 min duration.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-22, 05:00 PM
just homebrew the spell you're looking for. Here's an example:

Tremble
1st-level Evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: M (a small pebble)
Duration: 1 round

The ground trembles in a 20 foot radius sphere from a location of your choosing within range. Those in its area of effect feel the ground shift and shake beneath them, but the effect is imperceptible to those outside the area of effect.

Those so affected have disadvantage for any checks required by movement made within the affected squares, though the spell itself does not impose a requirement for any such checks.

This spell is often used as a stealthy means of rousting sleeping companions, who are awakened by the shaking of the spell, to stealthily intimidate someone with a show of magical power, or for making someone look like a fool (or worse) while attempting a difficult feat of dexterity.

odigity
2014-11-22, 05:02 PM
You're getting frustrated, aren't you?

Yes.

You probably mean the Alarm spell which can be cast as a ritual. It can be mental but then only the caster hears it. If you want it to wake everyone, it will be noisy.

Nope, I mean when someone is on watch and wants to wake the rest of the party, preferably quietly. Also, in combat if the enemy successfully casts sleep on multiple allies.

The only thing I can think of was a magic item--the Orb of Wakefulness or something like that.

That was a great utility item, but I seem to recall a 3.5 supplement also containing a spell that would accomplish the same thing. Possibly a Ranger spell?

Dalebert
2014-11-22, 06:16 PM
The ground trembles in a 20 foot radius sphere from a location of your choosing within range. Those in its area of effect feel the ground shift and shake beneath them, but the effect is imperceptible to those outside the area of effect.

Isn't the Thaumaturgy cantrip capable of a very similar effect as just one of it's possible uses?

MaxWilson
2014-11-22, 06:30 PM

Poe's Law strikes again.

Callin
2014-11-22, 06:35 PM
Long and the short of there is no equivilent spell. Alarm will be the closest. Cast it x number of times equal to your party size. Each one set to silent for a different person.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-11-22, 06:47 PM
Yelling Really Loud
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60ft
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You yell really loud. Every sleeping creature within range wakes up. They may become annoyed at you, at the DM's discretion.

odigity
2014-11-22, 06:52 PM
Long and the short of there is no equivilent spell. Alarm will be the closest. Cast it x number of times equal to your party size. Each one set to silent for a different person.

Congrats, not only is that really clever, but it's also the first suggestion to actually satisfy the criteria of my original question: SILENTLY.

eastmabl
2014-11-22, 06:54 PM
A message cantrip was able to whisper into the ears of multiple people all at once but I see that it has now been nerfed. It used to last 10 mins / level and have multiple targets. Now it's one target and 1 min duration.

Why was it needed?

Because you can do it all day long now.

eastmabl
2014-11-22, 06:57 PM
That was a great utility item, but I seem to recall a 3.5 supplement also containing a spell that would accomplish the same thing. Possibly a Ranger spell?

You are surprised that a spell from a supplement two editions ago didn't make it into the core rules?

Now I'm surprised.

But the answer right now seems like you need to homebrew it.

Ashrym
2014-11-22, 07:07 PM
Minor illusion specifically calls out discrete sounds and is a likely option. It could also be a non-discrete natural (but loud) sound from the threats to make it sound like the threat woke the party but that might still be different than what you are looking for.

Justin Sane
2014-11-22, 08:10 PM
Long and the short of there is no equivilent spell. Alarm will be the closest. Cast it x number of times equal to your party size. Each one set to silent for a different person.Alas, that doesn't work. If using the silent alarm, only the caster gets the mental ping.

Daishain
2014-11-22, 08:16 PM
Alas, that doesn't work. If using the silent alarm, only the caster gets the mental ping.
Not if they're all casters of the right type or at least have the ritual casting feat!

Yeah, ever so slightly unlikely.

Dalebert
2014-11-22, 09:18 PM
Why was it needed?

Because you can do it all day long now.

Action economy. Casting it once per round for each member of the party to wake them up discreetly because monsters approach the camp means it is now non-viable for this purpose when once it would have worked reasonably well. Besides, you could cast it all day in PF already, even with the much more powerful effect. Most cantrips got more powerful in 5e so this one's a bit weird.

Maxilian
2014-11-23, 02:48 AM
Isn't the Thaumaturgy cantrip capable of a very similar effect as just one of it's possible uses?

I agree, you could easily use Thaumaturgy to make the earth shake where your party is, that will wake them up and it won't do damage also having in mind that the range isn't so big, only your party will notice

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-11-23, 04:48 AM
In 3.5, the spell was Rouse (PHBII pg. 123, level 1 for Beguiler, Duskblade, Sorcerer/Wizard)... and it had a verbal component. Silent Spell was easier for most casters to access, though.

Mandrake
2014-11-23, 05:38 AM
Yelling Really Loud
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60ft
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You yell really loud. Every sleeping creature within range wakes up. They may become annoyed at you, at the DM's discretion.

It's called Thaumaturgy.

odigity
2014-11-23, 05:48 AM
In 3.5, the spell was Rouse (PHBII pg. 123, level 1 for Beguiler, Duskblade, Sorcerer/Wizard)... and it had a verbal component. Silent Spell was easier for most casters to access, though.

Thank you! Was having trouble finding it, even though I know I had considered learning it back in the 3.5 days.

See? PHBII. Not exactly an exotic sourcebook. Seems like a solid utility spell, and I'm disappointed it's not in the 5e PHB.

But, like I said -- there's always string.

some guy
2014-11-23, 06:12 AM
Thank you! Was having trouble finding it, even though I know I had considered learning it back in the 3.5 days.

See? PHBII. Not exactly an exotic sourcebook. Seems like a solid utility spell, and I'm disappointed it's not in the 5e PHB.

But, like I said -- there's always string.

There was also Rouse, in the 3.5 Spell Compendium, which was a Druid 0 and Ranger 1 spell and had the advantage of being a swift action. But like Rouse it also had a vocal component (rooster's cry).

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-23, 06:21 AM
I agree, you could easily use Thaumaturgy to make the earth shake where your party is, that will wake them up and it won't do damage also having in mind that the range isn't so big, only your party will notice

Fourth'd, the Thaumaturgy cantrip is exactly what the OP is looking for. The only less than ideal thing about it is the V component to the spell instead of M, but otherwise it'll do perfectly