PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing a Paladin Oath

Jundo
2014-11-22, 07:38 PM
I couldn't really make my mind up about which Oath to take when reaching level 3. They all had some really great things, and a few things that made me go, "huh"? This Oath of Redemption was an attempt to kind of diverge a little off of Vengeance, add a little Devotion, and sprinkle in some Ancient (I think).

My question is, I have a DM who would most likely let me use a homebrewed Oath, but I need this thing balanced with the other 3. In your opinions, is this balanced, overpowered...underpowered?

Feel free to call me an idiot! But I was looking to make something that made me feel comfortable in my own skin...if that makes any sense.

http://i.imgur.com/ocB5pRc.jpg (http://imgur.com/ocB5pRc)

Justin Sane
2014-11-22, 08:05 PM
Strike of Redemption is A) silly overpowered; B) weird fluffwise.

Jundo
2014-11-22, 08:25 PM
Strike of Redemption is A) silly overpowered; B) weird fluffwise.

I noticed at 3rd level we were fighting creatures who had the same ability, i.e. having advantage if their allies are adjacent. Didn't seem too far of a stretch for a PC to have it as well, but if it is, that's what I'm looking to learn.

RealCheese
2014-11-22, 11:50 PM
How about this for 7th level. "If an ally attacks a creature within 5 feet of you, you may use your reaction to grant that ally advantage on the attack. " sort of like a reverse of the protection fighting style. Gives up your chance of an opportunity attack to aid an ally. Sounds redeeming to me.

Slipperychicken
2014-11-23, 05:05 AM
What others have done for their lives is not for you to judge
[...]

You are a relentless hunter and destroyer of that which is pure evil.

These seem paradoxical, if not contradictory. If you don't judge other peoples' actions, how do you determine who is and isn't evil?

Jundo
2014-11-23, 09:03 AM
Great tips so far - thank you. This idea was drawn up in about an hour, sort of a rough draft. It does need to evolve more, fix some mechanics, address any contradictions - I think I'll tweak it tonight before our session with some of the suggestions made.

Haruki-kun
2014-11-23, 10:01 AM
Moved to Homebrew.

Socko525
2014-11-24, 11:46 AM
Personally, along this line, I'd rather have 3 different versions of the Oathbreaker Paladin vs. an additional Oath.

The existing Oathbreaker I feel really fits the anti-Devotion paladin. I'm curious to build an anti-ancients and anti-vengeance.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

But I'm also hopeful for additional Oaths in splat books.