PDA

View Full Version : [E6] Racial hit dice and character levels.

Jergmo
2014-11-22, 10:15 PM
I have a question for those more well-versed in E6 than I, because I haven't really seen anything in the rules that would clarify.

Suppose that a character is a race that has two racial hit dice. Would they still be able to achieve 6 levels, or only 4?

Crake
2014-11-22, 10:24 PM
I have a question for those more well-versed in E6 than I, because I haven't really seen anything in the rules that would clarify.

Suppose that a character is a race that has two racial hit dice. Would they still be able to achieve 6 levels, or only 4?

Unless you're using some alternate house rules, E6's LA system only works on just that, LA, not racial HD. Since you can think of racial HD as "racial levels", they would only have 4 levels left for class levels, as you determined.

Jergmo
2014-11-22, 10:26 PM
Okay, thank you. :smallsmile:

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-11-22, 10:29 PM
I don't think there are any hard fast rules, but I think they'd still be allowed to gain 6 class levels. The logic that would disallow this would prevent higher HD creatures from existing at all.

You can balance it by penalizing point buy the same way LA does or making them gain xp as a character of their level + racial HD.

JusticeZero
2014-11-23, 01:38 PM
You can balance it by penalizing point buy the same way LA does or making them gain xp as a character of their level + racial HD.

So basically an extra HD is worth about as much XP as two feats? That seems like something that could come back to bite you.

AMX
2014-11-23, 01:56 PM
I don't think there are any hard fast rules, but I think they'd still be allowed to gain 6 class levels. The logic that would disallow this would prevent higher HD creatures from existing at all.

It would prevent higher HD characters, not creatures.