PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Poisons and Minor Conjuration

MaxWilson
2014-11-22, 10:56 PM
So, does "a jar of Purple Worm poison" count as an object for purposes of Minor Conjuration? Or would Minor Conjuration just give you "a jar"?

I claim that by RAW, you only get to choose the object's "form", not its properties. Also, liquid in the jar isn't part of the object. Therefore, you could only get a jar. Likewise, Minor Conjuration could not give you a cake, only a (glowing) cake-shaped object. It's raw magical energy given form: the Conjuror's 3D printer.

Scirocco
2014-11-22, 11:02 PM
If your ref isn't allowing it to conjure expensive material components, then poisons should be off the table.

silveralen
2014-11-23, 06:13 PM
The wording of "an object" while vague, seems to remove the possibility of a jar of anything from the equation.

Similarly, it's hard to imagine describing a liquid of any sort as an object, especially an inanimate object. Would you call a puddle an object?

It'll require a permissive DM and some fast talk. Given the stipulation about damaging conjured items you likely won't even be able to conjure the raw materials and make it either.

Daishain
2014-11-23, 06:40 PM
Similarly, it's hard to imagine describing a liquid of any sort as an object, especially an inanimate object. Would you call a puddle an object?

Yes

Of course, that might in part have to do with a recent problem I did figuring out the mechanics behind using small globes of water as potentially deadly projectiles. They're surprisingly effective at it if accelerated the right way, if not really worth the trouble.

Every object in existence changes form in response to its environment, some just do so more easily than others.

That stated, I would have some concerns about being able to imagine the poison well enough to actually make it. Most of the "crafting with one's mind" spells appear to be limited in scope by what the caster is able to visualize. Poisons are typically fairly precise chemicals that aren't much different from completely innocuous compounds. Even if the caster knows what ingredients go into the poison he wants, how much will he know of what is actually going on in there beyond "powder made from the leaf of the plant that looks like this"?

Knaight
2014-11-23, 09:12 PM
I claim that by RAW, you only get to choose the object's "form", not its properties. Also, liquid in the jar isn't part of the object. Therefore, you could only get a jar. Likewise, Minor Conjuration could not give you a cake, only a (glowing) cake-shaped object. It's raw magical energy given form: the Conjuror's 3D printer.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have at least a little control over properties - things like density, flexibility, so on and so forth are closely associated with the form, and if you get the jar and the form includes a highly flexible low density substance that doesn't stay in jar shape, is nearly impossible to shatter, etc. it isn't much of a jar.

With that said, the whole idea of "an object" is discrete enough that fluids are in a bit of a grey area.