PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Body-Mod Beatsticks

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-23, 04:05 AM
Looking for classes/PrCs in 3.5 or Pathfinder that can be used to make good damage-dealers (preferably melee) with fluff centered around or involving changes to physical form (either permanent or temporary). The Aberrant archetype for DSP's Aegis is a good example. What else is out there? Homebrew is accepted, and I'd like to stay away from Vancian casters.

2014-11-23, 05:14 AM
Alchemist/Master Chymist is focused around becoming Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde through mutagens; a Master Chymist has taken so many mutagens, they now have a form they can turn into for hours at a time that has the effects of a mutagen...as well as some extras, including a personality change. They can grow, get fast, get tough, get strong, and just generally get powerful in melee. The leveling damage bonus is great when you have access to a number of ways to get natural attacks. One of my favorite things to do is to either dip into, or gestalt/tristalt with, Barbarian: a Natural Attack Barbarian can get tons of natural attacks while raging with just a little investment (although maintaining full capabilities could be difficult).

When I tried to make the Hulk in pure PF, I made a gestalt Barbarian 20//Alchemist 10/Master Chymist 10. Tell me, do you want to be the Hulk? Cause it sounds like the direction you were going in.

EDIT: Of course, the various Barbarian PrCs of 3.5 that worked well together (Frenzied Berserker, Bear Warrior, etc.) usually have high Str bonuses from taking new forms (well, more angry forms usually).

Another way to make a character that shapeshifts into a badass is to combine Master of Many Forms/Warshaper/Nature's Warrior: alter your form to whatever you please as often as you want, and tear through your enemies. You don't even have to be a Druid: go Ranger, and take the Wild Shape ranger from UA (along with, perhaps, the spell-less Ranger from Complete Warrior), and you have a combat-capable shape-shift.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-11-23, 10:55 AM
PF:
Synthesist Summoner
Beastmorph Alchemist (better w/ Vivisectionist) - Master Chymist is actually a nerf in the long run compared to Alchemist 20
Forgot the name, but there's a Fighter archetype that gets mutagen now
Egoist Psion / Slayer focused on metamorphosis powers

3E:
Wildshape Ranger / Master of Many Forms (gets just 1 Vancian spell slot; can swap for a feat if it really bothers you)
Changeling [Whatever class(es)] / Warshaper
Barbarian / Bear Warrior / War Shaper (late start to shape shifting)
Egoist Psion / Slayer focused on metamorphosis powers
EDIT: In related news, broken template is broken (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385022-Yet-Another-Reason-Why-Divine-Minion-is-Awesome)

Another way to make a character that shapeshifts into a badass is to combine Master of Many Forms/Warshaper/Nature's Warrior: alter your form to whatever you please as often as you want, and tear through your enemies. You don't even have to be a Druid: go Ranger, and take the Wild Shape ranger from UA (along with, perhaps, the spell-less Ranger from Complete Warrior), and you have a combat-capable shape-shift.
I'd keep the spell, but yeah, you can swap it for a feat. Also note that using the Urban Companion variant from the Cityscape web enhancement, you can swap your animal companion (which will be perma-stuck at 2 HD and a liability anyway) for a better version of a familiar (3/4 instead of 1/2 your hp; no xp loss if it dies). That means you'll get free Alertness from the familiar and together with Ranger's Endurance bonus feat, get all of Master of Many Form's feat taxes out of the way without actually spending any, which is very nice.

Xerlith
2014-11-23, 04:44 PM
There is the Renegade Mastermaker from Eberron, which gives you a slam attack, some enhancements and slowly turns you into a Warforged (opening, say, the use of Warforged Components). If I remember correctly, it doesn't require spellcasting, but two Magic Item Creation feats. Silverbrow Human gives you a caster level needed, and if you want, you can probably dip Warlock or Dragonfire Adept to progress throughout the class.

I think that class was actually pretty okay in terms of power. Nothing to write home about, but fun and flavorful enough for it to not matter that much.

Zaq
2014-11-24, 12:17 AM
Totemist was the first thing that leaps to my mind.

Necroticplague
2014-11-24, 05:18 AM
Depending on how etreme you are willing to go:
Lycanthropes of Sewrms advanced to Large size are ridiculously strong. 5HD for either +18 or +20 STR(don't remember off the top of my head).

The Shriver magical location gives you a lot of benefits if you are able to survive it, and most of them are pretty good for a beatstick. Just from memory, it gives you regeneration and the ability to steal healing spells cast nearby to heal yourself.