PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Anatomy of a Cultist

Endless Query
2014-11-23, 06:53 AM
For certain entirely scientific and in no way concerning reasons, I've been trying to figure out how one would best model members of a cult of one of the various Elder/Outer Gods that have slipped into Pathfinder (Or some of the other more mainstream dreadfully alien beings, even if it's just odd Demons and Daemons).

My problem basically comes from this: In theory, the cultists gain some amount of power from worshipping their "deity" of choice, so the obvious answer would be a Divine caster, probably a Cleric or something, buuuuut... As we all know, your classic mad cultist doesn't run around in armor with good weapon proficiencies and such, they wear ceremonial robes and rarely use anything more menacing than a dagger. And I suppose it's not that unusual to just make them Wizards with a strange or menacing ethos.

The problem for me with that is, it doesn't seem to really give any credence or leverage to the idea that for trafficking with this "darker powers" they gain something, if they're just ordinary wizards stat wise, then all they've "gained" by being a cultist is a bad reputation, so it feels like it kind of lacks flavor in design.

Ideally, I think, you'd want some middle ground, like, a Wizard who got Domains instead of an Arcane school or something, covering that hybrid area, or a Cleric with more of an emphasis on spell casting and less on the armor and martial stuff (... And maybe with less Channel energy? It feels off for STRANGE ALIEN POWERS to just give someone the ability to heal the living/undead). Shaman, in theory, is a more "castery" cleric-ish type, but there's no good way to divorce them from their spirit animals, etc. and that also just doesn't feel right. I suppose a Dimensions or Insanity Witch might fit? Ish? But I'm just looking for more ideas and options, any ideas?

Hazzardevil
2014-11-23, 07:07 AM
At this point I would probably resort to homebrew, I remember someone remade shadow casting on this forum with a class appropriately called the Cultist, which was built around dabbling with dark things. So I would just jury-rig some 3.5 homebrew into Pathfinder and do it that way.

bigstipidfighte
2014-11-23, 07:19 AM
Alienist is a weak and unpopular prestige class, but it fits what you're asking fairly well.

Heroes of Horror has mutations and derangements that might suit you. I'm not going to name specific things, the whole book is pretty golden for what you're asking.

Rokugan campaign setting has taint and tainted casters and warriors who are horribly deformed and often more than a little mad, but get flavorful boosts because of it. A quick fluff swap from Shadowlands taint to "blessings" from dark patrons could work nicely.

edit- my apologies, i didn't see the pf tag. Use this stuff if you want it.

avr
2014-11-23, 07:19 AM
Try a cleric with the ecclesitheurge archetype, and if 7th level +, the dreamed secrets feat.

Katana1515
2014-11-23, 07:58 AM
hmmmm I would be tempted to use a PF Summoner. I have seen a summoner used as a BBEG before and it can be brilliant, his Eido is clearly some terrifying outsider gifted to him by his hellish patrons and can actually face the party multiple times before the final contest. When the party finally stampedes in on the cults base, consider remodeling the cultist into a Synthesist summoner, that should give the impression of him having absorbed the beast and the power of his patrons into himself during some hideous rite that the PC's were just too late to prevent.

Just realized the OP didn't make it clear if this was for an NPC, PC or just a thought experiment. In any case I stand by the suggestion of a summoner/synthesist summoner.

Endless Query
2014-11-23, 08:30 AM
I had, in fact, forgotten all about summoner, I suppose they certainly do lend themselves to this sort of thing. I'm actually surprised none of the Archetypes are made for it, but a well crafted Summoner is quite serviceable.

Ecclesitheurge is interesting, and the feat is ideal, but I'm not 100% sold the Ecclesies actually get enough back for giving up all armor use forever... Though I suppose with the right Primary Domain selection they could certainly pretend to be a Wizard even when not using Dreamed secrets... Eh, these are both a good start. Thanks, I'll keep checking back if anyone else has good ideas too.

As for "PC, NPC, or what?" the answer is "Yes." If I get just the right idea, I may be using it for PC purposes (though the "cultist" in question will probably be more in the flavor of "I borrow power from this ancient unknowable power and really hope they never notice" as opposed to "BWHAHAHA when the stars align WE SHALL BRING RUIN!"), but working on that idea got me thinking that I had slated cults as adversaries for my players on a few occasions and had been rather lazy with the design and though I could cross purpose the whole thing.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-23, 08:33 AM
As we all know, your classic mad cultist doesn't run around in armor with good weapon proficiencies and such, they wear ceremonial robes and rarely use anything more menacing than a dagger.

Well if that's your only problem with using a Cleric, just find an archetype which trades away armor and weapon proficiencies, like avr suggests. Cloistered Cleric is another example.

Or go with an Oracle. I imagine these guys are better examples of Cult Leaders, driving their followers into blind obedience with Charisma rather than teaching and instructing with Wisdom. They also have weaker proficiencies - who on earth wears Medium armor, anyway?

atemu1234
2014-11-23, 04:54 PM
I like Thaumaturge from Book of Fiends, personally.

Raven777
2014-11-23, 05:35 PM
Maybe a False Priest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/razmiran-priest)? Fluff their Sorcerous powers as coming from their patron. Speaking of patrons, why not a Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch)? Insanity and Occult make good Patrons for an Old God theme.

CockroachTeaParty
2014-11-23, 08:16 PM
Warriors, Commoners, and Experts make fine non-magical, unimpressive cultists. Good for padding out large fight scenes with disposable mooks.

The Adept is a serviceable magical cultist, with some modest divine casting and a familiar. Sort of like a weaker witch, you can actually pump up their HD while still having a low CR for low-level cult leaders, etc.

The Witch is a great creepy arcane class, and has a proud Lovecraftian tradition. The Dimensional Occultist archetype is very similar to what I imagine Keziah Mason would be (be sure to grab Improved Familiar for a ratling / Brown Jenkin).

The Aberrant bloodline sorcerer (or bloodrager) can make for an appropriately-themed cultist. Perhaps their otherworldly patron granted them their powers for their devotion, rather than being born with magic powers, not unlike a 3.5 warlock in that regard.

Many cultists in pre-written modules wind up as multiclass Rogue/Clerics, actually. A weird combo, to be sure.

Endless Query
2014-11-23, 08:49 PM
Thaumaturge would also be a neat one if there was a Pathfinder variant...

Also, for whatever reason, whenever I think of a "Dimensional Witch" I think more of xxxHolic Yuuko than Cthulian horrors.

Bloodragers are actually a neat idea for populating the "muscle" of a cult, could go very Khorne Berserker style, to use the 40k reference, though I'm not sold on Rogue/Cleric. I suppose if I want to fill up the ranks with something that has class levels, but just isn't very good that might serve.

Yeah, I think I have a lot of good possibilities with this, though I will say... Cloistered Clerics just seem kind of bad, I'm not really seeing what they get that's worth a domain and armor usage. Though I suppose that can be a fine thing for NPCs, "competitive balance" is less of a worry there.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-23, 08:58 PM
Dude, Oracle with the dark tapestry or outer rifts mystery. Pick a nice curse to give them a outerworldly look (wasting, clouded vision, tongues).

atemu1234
2014-11-23, 09:03 PM
Thaumaturge would also be a neat one if there was a Pathfinder variant...

Also, for whatever reason, whenever I think of a "Dimensional Witch" I think more of xxxHolic Yuuko than Cthulian horrors.

Bloodragers are actually a neat idea for populating the "muscle" of a cult, could go very Khorne Berserker style, to use the 40k reference, though I'm not sold on Rogue/Cleric. I suppose if I want to fill up the ranks with something that has class levels, but just isn't very good that might serve.

Yeah, I think I have a lot of good possibilities with this, though I will say... Cloistered Clerics just seem kind of bad, I'm not really seeing what they get that's worth a domain and armor usage. Though I suppose that can be a fine thing for NPCs, "competitive balance" is less of a worry there.

Thaumaturge would be easy to convert, one would think.

Endless Query
2014-11-24, 06:48 AM
For the Thaumaturge, it is likely the case it could be updated, but for most of these projects I tend to like things I can safely bring to basically any game and not have it questioned. Otherwise there is like a "Thaumaturge alpha update." Also in that line is the Wizard/Cleric Multiclass Archetype class thing on the PF SRD that would suit, though that's also very third party.

I will say I was scoping out a Dark Tapestry Oracle with the... Whichever curse that makes everything you touch count as broken for like an Azathoth cultist, it being the ultimate destructive force and all.

Also, just from my own research, if Psionics are in, Cryptics could also make an interesting choice, with the black beams of destruction and general stealthy creepiness, good for emerging from the dark unexpectedly for extra drama. Also the ability to warp reality just feels right for your higher end cultists. Dunno about anything else in the Psionic bend though, haven't interacted with Pathfinder Psionics much.

Yora
2014-11-24, 06:56 AM
Eldritch Horrors don't give power, they give knowledge. They don't grant spells, but instead teach them magic. So I would go with a wizard or witch.

stack
2014-11-24, 12:30 PM
Eldritch Horrors don't give power, they give knowledge. They don't grant spells, but instead teach them magic. So I would go with a wizard or witch.

Sorcerer would help with having the charisma to attract and hold followers though. Works well enough for getting your powers from an outside source with a side of being warped physically in the process with the right bloodline.

Endless Query
2014-11-24, 04:31 PM
To be fair, according to the Pathfinder version of Azathoth, cultists and magic can draw power from said eldritch horrors, it's apparently the primary reason why Azathoth has any cultists at all (since all the end of the world cultists in PF go for Rovagug instead. More attentive and immediate I suppose).

mabriss lethe
2014-11-24, 11:42 PM
You can easily reskin a Bard as a cultist. Bardic music becomes a droning, mindbending chant in alien tongues. You've got good-ish combat skills when the time comes for kidnapping and sacrificing and some proper manipulative (and summoning) magic.