PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sniper build help!

Elrihm
2014-11-23, 02:44 PM
So, I'm going to be playing in a low-magic setting, meaning no straight typical casters. Our campaigns tend to end around 9, but there is not a definite cap. I'm making a build out of a great crossbow sniper, which I know isn't great but what I'd like to do. My DM has approved both the gnomish crossbow scope, and a repeating variant available later. He gave us a bit of extra gold, so I have both my crossbow and the scope at lvl 1.

What this means for now is that my effective range is 360 feet with 2d8 damage. What I'm trying to do is decide whether the factotum, or the swift hunter/sniper variant would be better. Factotum is a bit of a lower curve to the power scaling, but I could take mystic ranger/sword of the arcane order for the scout. The real issue comes with that bow builds are really feat starved.

FACTOTUM
With factotum, I'd like to take as many FOI as possible, meaning that I'd skimp on things like PBS, precise, and far shot. He'd offset the -4 into melee with cunning insight, and then stack up the damage later with cunning strike.

SNIPER ACF SCOUT TO MYSTIC RANGER/SOTAO
Scout would give me consistent precision damage at ranges longer than 60 ft, and let me take those ranged feats. This would give him precise shot, as well as an effective range of 540. However the power curve tends towards level 9 when we'd be wrapping things up.

The question is what do you guys think would be better, or do you have a better path? I'd appreciate the insight.

Optimator
2014-11-23, 05:44 PM
I made a Great Crossbow Sniper who was a remake of one of the first characters I ever made in 2nd edition. The problem with him though is he used a homebrew class that got him six crossbow feats over three levels (and so far I've only 2 of the 3 levels for 4 feats). Archery in 3.5 is very expensive and using a crossbow is more feats on top of that.

Anyway, his build is Rogue 3 Hit-and-Run Fighter 1 "Crossbow Marksman" 2 Assassin 2 Deepwood Sniper 4, and the plan is to take more Assassin levels. The bonus feats I got from the custom prestige class are Rapid Reload, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Improved Critical (Hand Crossbow) and I took Crossbow Sniper with the Fighter level. My feats are H: Hand Crossbow Focus 1: Point Blank Shot 3: Rapid Shot 6: Darkstalker 9: Telling Blow 12: Deadly Aim (PF)

The idea is using an Aptitude Great X-Bow with a gnomish sight that instantly reloads thanks to Hand Crossbow Focus and using things like Grease or sniping to take things out. My DM has always allowed one feat- or class-based crit multiplier to work with one magic multiplier, so the crossbow crits for 12-20 x 3 thanks to Deepwood Sniper. Telling Blow so far has proved useful on the build despite being a subpar feat normally. Certainly helps my long-distance volleys.

The Assassin spells I don't have yet would be very useful for long-distance sniping. The best class for this type of thing is Chameleon since they can buff up using ALL the archery spells.