PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Reactive Stealth (PEACH)

tarkisflux
2014-11-23, 04:05 PM
I don't think any of the groups I've ever played in have used stealth as written. They either don't make checks every round, or they don't make checks for all of the opposition, or some other handwaving happens.

And I think there are good mechanics reasons not to use it as written. The opposed roll setup makes the odds of success complicated in ways that aren't helpful. The one opposed roll per guard makes the odds of someone spotting you very high in groups of more than 4, so long as they're capable of spotting you at all. And when you have to make multiple rolls to set a variable DC against multiple people over multiple rounds... it's really quite hard to be stealthy at all. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people simply default to invis. I don't like it any better on the perception side of things. It's a skill that guards need, despite rarely getting it as a class skill or having a lot of points to spend on it. There are ways this can be mitigated, but it's still a skill tax on all guards forever.

Note: There's also weirdness with multiple party members trying to stealth as well, since that often turns the setup into worst stealth roll vs. best perception roll. I don't have any ideas to resolve that in a satisfactory way though (I don't generally consider group stealth checks satisfactory), and am just going to ignore it for the moment. It will still be a problem after this, but less of one I hope. Still, if something comes to mind, feel free to add it in :smallsmile:

Anyway, those are what I consider pitfalls of the official stealth writeup, so you can see where I'm coming from and what I want to address with this. What I'm considering doing is removing the perception side of the checks, so that you make at most one check a round or even per minute out of combat, and that it's not opposed by a potentially high number of other checks. And then giving a minimum DC based on CR or character level so that even creatures who don't invest in perception can defeat your stealth. Here, have a rough draft rules proposal:

You may make a stealth check to prevent creatures who are unaware of your position from becoming aware of you. The DC for this check is 10 + half the creature's level or CR or 10 + the creature's perception modifier, whichever is higher. Creatures who are already aware of you or who have been alerted to your presence but can not see your current position add +5 to their DCs. You may not take 10 on this check, nor may you retry it. If multiple creatures could notice you, you make one check and compare it to the DC of each individual creature to see which ones notice you. You do not need cover or concealment to make these checks.

Success on this check means that the creatures do not notice you and remain unaware of your location. Failure on this check means that the creature notices you and is alerted to your position. If there is nothing blocking line of sight, they see you. If there is nothing blocking sound, they hear you. Once you have been noticed, you may not hide from a creature again until you have broken line of sight with them.

You suffer a -5 penalty to this check if you are moving faster than half your speed, and a -20 penalty to this check while you are running, charging, or attacking (including sniping). You gain bonuses or penalties to this check based on size as normal.

While this is tagged for Pathfinder, it's pretty straightforwardly transferable to DnD 3.x, 4e, and 5e as well. So here's the minor adjustments needed for those.

The changes for 3.x are extremely minor (unless I forgot something), as it's basically two skills instead of one. This makes the odds of successful stealth worse, but there are things you can do to eliminate one of the rolls like being far enough away for movement noise to be irrelevant or walking over noisy surfaces behind cover. It's still a vast improvement over the original IMO.
Since 4e and 5e have passive perception values, we can just make those the check DCs. They have different scaling added to that value, but since the same scaling is added to the stealth numbers it works out ok.

If you'd prefer to comment about this in one of those contexts instead, feel free. I'm quite interested in comments about how well or poorly it works in those systems as well. Please label them clearly though, so that it's not confusing what you're referring to. Thanks!

AtlasSniperman
2014-11-23, 04:27 PM
While I don't tell my players, this is typically how I run it anyway. With the exception that I do use Hide and Move Silently separately, because I have Spot and Listen as distinctly seperate skills. I'd have "scent" as a skill if it wasn't an ability.

A few additional addendums in my own usage of this system: creatures with Scent gain a +5 to their DC when the hiding character is within their scent range, and automatically spot if adjacent. Creatures with Blindsense/tremorsense automatically spot the hiding character if they trigger the creatures Blindsense/Tremorsense.

Kamai
2014-11-23, 04:28 PM
It's simply forcing people to take 10 on perception checks, which is nice for dealing with NPCs, but is going to feel kind of odd with PCs about to be ambushed. On top of that, are you still going to require cover/concealment for a Stealth check? I would suggest not requiring cover unless the people being snuck up on are already on alert, just to let stealth pull off iconic stunts, but that's just my opinion.

tarkisflux
2014-11-25, 01:43 AM
While I don't tell my players, this is typically how I run it anyway. With the exception that I do use Hide and Move Silently separately, because I have Spot and Listen as distinctly seperate skills. I'd have "scent" as a skill if it wasn't an ability.

A few additional addendums in my own usage of this system: creatures with Scent gain a +5 to their DC when the hiding character is within their scent range, and automatically spot if adjacent. Creatures with Blindsense/tremorsense automatically spot the hiding character if they trigger the creatures Blindsense/Tremorsense.

Glad I'm not the only one who does this. It just seemed like something I should codify if I was going to keep doing it or write it into my other projects.

Special senses are not intended to be covered by this ability, I just didn't write them in for some reason. There are feats that would turn that on though. The scent ability is a good call too.

It's simply forcing people to take 10 on perception checks, which is nice for dealing with NPCs, but is going to feel kind of odd with PCs about to be ambushed. On top of that, are you still going to require cover/concealment for a Stealth check? I would suggest not requiring cover unless the people being snuck up on are already on alert, just to let stealth pull off iconic stunts, but that's just my opinion.

Well, it's not just that. There's the part where you get half your level as a minimum score to take 10 with, even if you have no ranks in it. And I don't agree that PCs about to be ambushed will be particularly weird about it. They don't get to roll attacks against them, and this is just setting it up as that sort of thing. It's not what they're used to perhaps, but it also works a lot better for their stealth than they're used to so...

I specifically wrote out requiring cover or concealment to make these checks too. It's one part "I like iconic stealth things, and requiring cover or concealment makes them harder than they need to be" and one part "this game doesn't track creature facing, there's no reason to assume everyone is always looking at you if you don't have cover". I do still want people to seek cover if they've been spotted though (and don't have HiPS or something), because once you've been seen there's no reason to assume they just lose track of you again. So I want to disallow new checks until they've at least broken line of sight. I think that's a fair trade-off.

CptPinkamena
2014-11-27, 05:32 AM
"this game doesn't track creature facing, there's no reason to assume everyone is always looking at you if you don't have cover".

If you miss the target (whether aiming at a creature or a grid intersection), roll 1d8. This determines the misdirection of the throw, with 1 falling short (off-target in a straight line toward the thrower), and 2 through 8 rotating around the target creature or grid intersection in a clockwise direction.

From: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Throw-Splash-Weapon

The idea is that you can roll 1d8 (or 1d-whatever-the-number-of-hexes-you're-using) in a similar manner as range drop-off to determine which direction the "front" (and therefore their LOS) is facing, extended over a 90 degree arc to the extent of their vision (with appropriate penalties for distance or dim lighting, etc).

Of course this is a lot more complicated, especially in larger numbers of NPC's, but it's still an option that wouldn't take too long for a handful (2 or 3) of guards.

Additional: NPC's facing away from the PC's won't take penalties for the PC's being under cover (sight), but this would seem to call for a separate check for hearing - with different modifiers.

Also, digging into the stealth system and the use of cover means you have to calculate barrier dimensions and materials in advance to determine what special senses will be able to notice you.

Otherwise your players might be saying "this totally has one foot of wood. Look at it, it's a desk (that I ordered off Amazon as a full-scale replica from FMA)".