PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Intelligent Sword Feedback

Chester
2014-11-23, 06:05 PM
So, I'd like to create an intelligent sword for our party's Lawful Neutral Duskblade.

For capabilites, I rolled 82, and p. 269 of DM's guide gives that scores of 15/15/10, speech, and three lesser powers.

I might mess with the powers a bit, so I'd like some feedback. As the sword will be Lawful Neutral, I was thinking:

If I go three lesser powers--10 Ranks in Sense Motive, 10 Ranks in Diplomacy, Cure moderate 3/day

OR I could substitute one or two of the lesser powers to be able to cast Magic Circle Against Chaos as a major power.

Also, is there a particular type of longsword / magical ability that might suit this weapon?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

atemu1234
2014-11-23, 09:08 PM
I always liked my duskblades armed with bastard swords.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-24, 07:17 AM
How much of the sword do you want to be a boon / vs something he has to figure out the best way to use?

Thoughts

- An intelligent weapon is a character, not an item. Start with a goal, then build the personality that was created to fill that goal, then fill in the powers it uses to make that happen.

- I don't like putting a high diplomacy NPC in the party. It encourages the party to let you talk to yourself rather than engage them, as your DMPC sword has a high modifier. Maybe put those 10 ranks in Knowledge (Nobility) or something like that.

Chester
2014-11-24, 10:20 AM
I always liked my duskblades armed with bastard swords.

Funny you should mention that....although he doesn't have the proficiency, our Duskblade found a random Bastard Sword and uses that.

How much of the sword do you want to be a boon / vs something he has to figure out the best way to use?

Thoughts

- An intelligent weapon is a character, not an item. Start with a goal, then build the personality that was created to fill that goal, then fill in the powers it uses to make that happen.

- I don't like putting a high diplomacy NPC in the party. It encourages the party to let you talk to yourself rather than engage them, as your DMPC sword has a high modifier. Maybe put those 10 ranks in Knowledge (Nobility) or something like that.

Well, I was thinking that the sword is concerned with balance and justice, hence the lawful neutral alignment and the Diplomacy. But what you said makes sense.

The player would be controlling the sword, though, not the DM.

Pyon
2014-11-24, 07:16 PM
If the player is controlling the sword make the sword have an extremely heavy English accent. Then force the player to make the accent when he roleplays the sword. Also sword should have one liners for battle.

atemu1234
2014-11-24, 07:29 PM
...sword should have one liners for battle.

"Bugger you all, I'm a talking sword!"
"Pelor save the queen!"

Pyon
2014-11-24, 07:34 PM
"Bugger you all, I'm a talking sword!"
"Pelor save the queen!"

"Right then, let's fight already! All this talking's got me on edge!"

*Sword offends an NPC*
"Oh what did you expect luv, I'm a talking sword I'm bound to be a bit sharp."

atemu1234
2014-11-24, 08:13 PM
"Right then, let's fight already! All this talking's got me on edge!"

*Sword offends an NPC*
"Oh what did you expect luv, I'm a talking sword I'm bound to be a bit sharp."

This isn't sounding lawful anymore.

Pyon
2014-11-24, 08:25 PM
This isn't sounding lawful anymore.

Dude does it matter? You can have lawful sword or a sword that spouts amazing jokes and pretty much makes the campaign better by 50 points. Your call =/

Although in all seriousness I myself could never take a talking object seriously. Part of me will always remember Fallout NV's talking toaster and armor.

atemu1234
2014-11-24, 08:30 PM
Dude does it matter? You can have lawful sword or a sword that spouts amazing jokes and pretty much makes the campaign better by 50 points. Your call =/

Although in all seriousness I myself could never take a talking object seriously. Part of me will always remember Fallout NV's talking toaster and armor.

I haven't taken them seriously in years because of a certain perverted intelligent (cursed) (Japanese) ring of X-Ray vision.

Pyon
2014-11-24, 08:35 PM
I haven't taken them seriously in years because of a certain perverted intelligent (cursed) (Japanese) ring of X-Ray vision.

Sounds like an amazing tale. Which is way we need to give the duskblade the best damn English Intelligent Bastard Sword!

atemu1234
2014-11-24, 08:45 PM
Sounds like an amazing tale. Which is way we need to give the duskblade the best damn English Intelligent Bastard Sword!

A tale which would most definitely stretch (if not break) forum rules. If you really want to know the story, PM me, I'll respond tomorrow (in all likelihood).

I'm a fan of Spike from Buffy, personality- wise.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-24, 08:57 PM
Im all for the English accented Bastard Sword, but personally i think a Greatsword with a Scottish accent would be better.

"All right lads, they've got us surrounded. Now we ave'm right where we want them"

and the ever classic "FREEDOM!!"

Pyon
2014-11-24, 08:58 PM
Im all for the English accented Bastard Sword, but personally i think a Greatsword with a Scottish accent would be better.

"All right lads, they've got us surrounded. Now we ave'm right where we want them"

and the ever classic "FREEDOM!!"

DUAL WIELDING! ONE IS ENGLISH THE OTHER IS SCOTTISH! CONSTANTLY ARGUING!

it's like the sitcom of weapons.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-24, 09:02 PM
DUAL WIELDING! ONE IS ENGLISH THE OTHER IS SCOTTISH! CONSTANTLY ARGUING!

it's like the sitcom of weapons.

Better, Double-Sword, as the Duskblade can channel into both ends at once. A buddy actually did that and made the joke that we found the only practical application of a Double Sword.

Even better if they are brothers who disagree about one tiny insignificant part of canon.

Also am i the only one that thinks Intelligent weapons should be funny?

Pyon
2014-11-24, 09:09 PM
Better, Double-Sword, as the Duskblade can channel into both ends at once. A buddy actually did that and made the joke that we found the only practical application of a Double Sword.

Even better if they are brothers who disagree about one tiny insignificant part of canon.

Also am i the only one that thinks Intelligent weapons should be funny?

I agree. I mean it's an item. That talks Hilarity will ensue no matter how serious you try to make it.

Plus I love the double sword idea.

And I feel I am not contributing much to this thread other than "Hey the sword should have an accent!"

Blackhawk748
2014-11-24, 09:13 PM
I agree. I mean it's an item. That talks Hilarity will ensue no matter how serious you try to make it.

Plus I love the double sword idea.

And I feel I am not contributing much to this thread other than "Hey the sword should have an accent!"

Ya we aren't really helping lol

I would say drop two lesser powers and get the Magic Circle Against Chaos as i feel that that will get more mileage.

atemu1234
2014-11-24, 09:16 PM
The Scottish one wants independence from the arm, therein it has the dancing enchantment.

Chester
2014-11-26, 10:37 AM

No worries. I enjoyed the jokes. :smallbiggrin:

Ya we aren't really helping lol

I would say drop two lesser powers and get the Magic Circle Against Chaos as i feel that that will get more mileage.

That's what I'm thinking.

Next question: what say you to making the sword itself enchanted as well (someone mentioned a Dancing enchantment), or is a simple enchantment bonus enough?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 10:44 AM
Most people on here would say make it a +1 *insert enhancements here* weapon and then improve it with Greater Magic Weapon, and that is sound advice. Personally i dont mind have a +3 Shocking weapon as i like the bonus to hit. My recommendation is a +1 Axiomatic Longsword. If you want throw an elemental enhancement on it

Nightraiderx
2014-11-26, 11:16 AM
I can only think of the sword named... Excalibur. -grits teeth and makes annoyed face-

Chester
2014-11-26, 12:12 PM
Most people on here would say make it a +1 *insert enhancements here* weapon and then improve it with Greater Magic Weapon, and that is sound advice. Personally i dont mind have a +3 Shocking weapon as i like the bonus to hit. My recommendation is a +1 Axiomatic Longsword. If you want throw an elemental enhancement on it

So, awesome sword, but it's not intelligent? I can live with that.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 12:18 PM
So, awesome sword, but it's not intelligent? I can live with that.

The +1 Axiomatic sword can still be intelligent, its just even more awesome because of that

Zubrowka74
2014-11-26, 12:21 PM
I can only think of the sword named... Excalibur. -grits teeth and makes annoyed face-

Excalibur Junior from the Grailquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grailquest) serie of gamebooks...

About the onle liners, can't stop thinking about the Worms game. You could give your team different accents and speach patterns, specially the "Worms World Party". You had thespians, british royalty, jamaicans, russians, japanese etc...

Chester
2014-11-26, 12:29 PM
The +1 Axiomatic sword can still be intelligent, its just even more awesome because of that

*opens skull, scratches brain*

OK, what does this sword look like, then? I'm getting lost. :smalleek:

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 12:34 PM
Its a +1 Axiomatic Intelligent Longsword. It has all of the properties of being an Intelligent Weapon as well as being a +1 Axiomatic weapon. Being one does not prevent it from being the other. So in your case it would have Magic Circle against Chaos X/per day. 10 Ranks of Sense Motive, and be +1 and Axiomatic.

Chester
2014-11-26, 12:36 PM
Its a +1 Axiomatic Intelligent Longsword. It has all of the properties of being an Intelligent Weapon as well as being a +1 Axiomatic weapon. Being one does not prevent it from being the other. So in your case it would have Magic Circle against Chaos X/per day. 10 Ranks of Sense Motive, and be +1 and Axiomatic.

Thank you.

Does the Axiomatic negative level stack with the negative level from being an intelligent weapon? Like, if a chaotic character wields it, would he take one level or two?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 12:39 PM
Thank you.

Does the Axiomatic negative level stack with the negative level from being an intelligent weapon? Like, if a chaotic character wields it, would he take one level or two?

Most likely as Negative Levels stack.