PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking for a mundane item akin to feather-fall wings/parachute

Jowgen
2014-11-23, 06:38 PM
I remember these from some book, but can't seem to find them now.

The item is a wing-like construction of wood and leather (I think), which folds up. If you fall at least 30 ft (I think), the item uncurls and prevents falling damage (to an extent at least, from what I remember). I think there is a chance of the item being ruined, but even if not it takes a long time (several minutes?) and possibly some sort of check to fold the thing back up so that it is useable again.

In case anyone wonders why I'm looking for such a crappy piece of gear when there are so many ways to get feather fall, I'm looking for ways to allow my character to sky-dive at an angle towards his intended location after plane-shifting to a point several miles up in the air. Using a surf-board for the purposes of Sky-suring would be much cooler, but I can't find the glide-ratio for Skysurfers anywhere. A wing-suit would be ideal from what I gather, but I doubt there is anything even similar to that in D&D. A&E paragliders are too damn slow.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-23, 11:29 PM
I know the item you're talking about. I seem to remember it causing the wearer to fall in a tight corkscrew though. I -think- it's in either races of the wild or stone or maybe the arms and equipment guide.

Jowgen
2014-11-24, 11:26 AM
I believe we're thinking the same thing, but I've checked those (and several other) books a few times now and can't seem the find the damn thing. :smallannoyed:

Zaq
2014-11-24, 02:06 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has rules for a hang glider on pg. 54.

I, too, seem to recall something like what you're looking for, though. Maybe it was in an Eberron book? Maybe a Forgotten Realms book—there's tons of crazy stuff in the FR books.

lytokk
2014-11-24, 02:13 PM
I think I also remember the item you're talking about, mostly because it reminded me of the wing that Iria had in the anime series. Maybe it was in one of the mongoose books? I think I remember it being in one of those.

Jowgen
2014-11-24, 02:58 PM
I've looked at the hang-glider, and its just too damn slow. I remember there being an illustration of the thing, and it wasn't in FR or Eberron style.

I've never owned any mongoose books, so it's certainly not from that. :smallfrown: