PDA

View Full Version : "Flavor" Characters

Wyrmslave
2007-03-24, 08:33 PM
Anyone ever wish you could create a character, just for the helluva it? Then welcome to the "'Flavor' Characters" thread! Post your would-be characters here for critique, fun, and such! As our future campaign's DM (We are about to start playing DnD in about a few months, as soon as everyone gets their dice, PHBs, and characters done) I can't really make a PC, so here's what mine would be:

Forgotten Realms
Name: Saevel Laelithar (Temporary)
Class(es): Fighter/Harper Agent/Ranger of Kelemvor
Race: Half-Elf (Which elf sub-race? not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards Wood Elf)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity: Kelemvor
Size: Medium
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 164 lbs.
Eyes: Dark Green
Hair: Black, shaggy
Skin: Light Tan
(Using 32-Point Buy)
STR: 16
DEX: 15
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 10
Preferred Weapon: Longsword on right hand, Short sword in Left

Stevenson
2007-03-25, 01:02 PM
Technically,nobody requires a deity.

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 01:05 PM
In FR, nobody requires a deity if they are OK with spending eternity in the Wall of the Faithless. Rangers need a deity if they want to cast spells. Clerics, Paladins and Druid need a deity, period.

cupkeyk
2007-03-25, 01:07 PM
d00d, a 32 year old elf will be about just past toddler.

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 01:19 PM
Not really. An elf finishes most of her physical maturation (uh, is it the right word to be there?) around 20. The rest of her years is spent on being a proper adult.

In other words, 20-something elves are children in the bodies of adults. Usually. A particular elf may be much more mature at such an early age.

EDIT: Besides, his character is a half-elf, not an elf. I apparently missed that fact.

Wyrmslave
2007-03-25, 01:19 PM
I believe the Age of Adulthood for a Half-elf is about 20 or so in v 3.5...lemme take a look-see

EDIT: Khantalas beat me to the post, either way I want this guy to be almost at the peak of middle-age, so let's fix that up!

JellyPooga
2007-03-25, 04:38 PM
Campaign: Ravenloft
Race: Human
Class: Sorcerer
Stats: Can't remember, but only 1st level (maybe 2nd by the time I retired him)
Story: Born to peasant parents, his magical powers developed at a young age (I think he was in the 16-18 range during play). For a time he managed to hide his powers, but was eventually found out and banished for witchcraft (oh, can you smell the stereotype!!!). Forced to wander the world, fending for himself, he moved from place to place refusing to use his powers except in the most dire of circumstances. As he is completely untrained and only uses his powers more by reflex than anything else, most of the effects he can produce are directed force effects and uncontrolled bursts of energy (i.e. magic missile, mage armour, going towards fireball etc. at later levels, no illusions or mind affecting type stuff, purely damage, protection and telekinesis...if I had had Complete Arcane at the time, he would probably have been a Warlock). A surly, self-loathing character, he spoke rarely and was often more of a hindrance to his companions, though when he did use his powers, they proved devastating (hence why he was dragged along by the party).

He eventually left the party because the DM was crap and didn't allow for roleplaying in his game...only rollplayers were allowed (that particular campaign ran for about 2 months, in which time all the players had at least 3 characters and 1 player had 2 characters die in one session). So as far as I know, this particular character is still wandering the realm of Ravenloft, eking out a meagre life of misery...maybe he'll find a portal to another plane of existence and fulfill a truly heroic destiny...

axraelshelm
2007-03-25, 05:06 PM
WARforge Favor soul,
Name Rustler

The immortal champion of Orcus with his rusted wings and his UnHoly Mace he shall lead the armies of the demon lord to destory the devils in the eternal blood wars and to raid the material planes for more slaves.

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 05:12 PM
NE Half-Fiend Elan. Ardent 12 / Soulknife 4. Is the guardian of the future ruler of hell (who was, for unknown reasons, born to mortal parents).

CN Half-Celestial Tiefling. Favored Soul 7. Is just plain crazy and blessed due to his strange heritage.

CN Winged Whisper Gnome Vampire. Ninja 16. I don't know, I just like Winged Whisper Gnome Vampires.

NE Half-Shadow Dragon / Half-Drow. Shadowcaster 20. Shadows, shadows and more shadows.

LN Warforged. Warblade 20 / Incarnum Blade 5 / Corrupt Avenger 10 / Pious Templar 10 / War Mind 10 / Shadowsmith 10. An ageless guardian who was created to be a master warrior and to use various different abilities to his advantage in battle.

Lemur
2007-03-25, 05:24 PM
Campaign: Any one crazy enough to accept it
Name: Nir Amar
Race: Human Ghost
Class: Sorceror
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Nir is a cybernetic ghost from the future. If you made it past that first sentance without severe brain hemmorhage, congratulations.

From the distant future, Nir Amar is a human enhanced by nanobots which exist inside his body. This advanced technology allows him to create wondrous effects, which are mechanically identical to a sorceror's magic. After all, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Nir doesn't really remember what the future and his life was like because it hasn't happened yet. Instead of being the kind of ghost that lingers after death, Nir appears to be lingering before birth. In addition, Nir's nanobots also appear to have become ghostly with him, and his ghost nanobots seem to have adapted to function in his current state.

He sets off adventuring to learn more about himself, and how exactly to deal with his unique condition.

Kultrum
2007-03-25, 05:36 PM
Warforged druid/master of many forms... more than meets the eye.

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 05:39 PM
Warforged spellcaster with alter self is the way to having Transformers. Think about it.

Lemur
2007-03-25, 06:28 PM
Nah, warforged druid works as well, it's just more like Beast Wars than the original Transformers.

Sutremaine
2007-03-25, 06:44 PM
Just-for-kicks Tiefling Duskblade of unknown level

Starting stats (36pb)
Str: 12
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 18
Wis: 10
Cha: 10

I boosted TWF some (dispensed with ITWF, GTWF, and PTWF as separate feats, and made each of those available with each iterative attack gained after taking the altered TWF) in order to fit both Power Attack and Weapon Finesse in.

Main weapon: flaming rapier of speed with various enchantments
Off-hand weapon: thundering sickle of speed with various enchantments
Armour: Leather / mithral chain shirt until I have 75k gp to spare, then a Robe of the Archmagi. Also in leather. Red leather. :smallbiggrin:

It could probably be played without the altered TWF. Would it be unbalacing to allow it in the hands of classes that aren't full casters?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-26, 02:43 AM
Name: Durik Kel'Dremesh
Class(es): Bard 4
Race: Orc, fullblood
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: Gruumsh
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 244 lbs.
Eyes: Red
Hair: Black, unkempt and shaggy
Skin: gray-black
STR: 23
DEX: 14
INT: 16
WIS: 10
CHA: 15
Preferred Weapon: Orcish Darkwood Baby Grand Piano.

Krugg
2007-03-26, 05:01 AM
My current character, made entirely for the sheer awesomeness, not for tha actual gameplay stats and everything:
Human Hexblade with dual scimitars
:D I heart dual scimitars. Most awesome looking dual wield weapons evar
Basic but still awesome (in my opinion, that is)

Armads
2007-03-26, 07:03 AM
Peace, the Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker
with a berserking sword

hee hee

Hypothetical
2007-03-26, 07:09 AM
How about an entire Race that's got a good flavor?

The GM I just started officially gaming with has Homebrewed an entire race ( well, a few races actually, but this one in particular).

This entire Race, the Zalackney ( and I hope I spelled that right) are a group of basically upright Crocogators. ( Crocodile, Alligator, What's the differance..LOL.)

Now, this entire Race have an obsession with clothing. As in, the flashier the better. Think this through...

Can you say...an entire Race of Reptiles that talk,dress, and act very much like Zorro, the Gay Blade?

1337_master
2007-03-26, 07:29 AM
1st level hexblade, human, Longsword, leader of party.

3rd level cleric, 2nd level wizard, (aspiring to become a mystic theurge.

Both of which were created to actually play, if you had the Idea of the SHEER number of character sheets, with no purpose, i created, your mind would DIE.

Leon
2007-03-26, 08:22 AM
if you had the Idea of the SHEER number of character sheets, with no purpose, i created, your mind would DIE.

I can well guess, i make up Chraracters as something to to when im bored - there are books full of PC idea's in my room

Two most Recent

Name: Lilyth
Class(es): Sorcereress lvl 14
Race: Half Vampire Human
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Auburn
Skin: Pale White
STR: 14
DEX: 20
CON:18
INT: 14
WIS: 16
CHA: 20
Racial Ability: Charm Person

Inspired by a Picture i have and ive been reading Liber Mortis recently
Her nature is that of a Storm and she tries to emulate some of her heritage through spells and magic items, otherwise Sonic and Electrical spells are her norm with the option of altering those to fire. knows she is a soft target and has no qualms with directing other's to their doom to protect her

Name: Narthik Darkmaw
Class(es): Warlock 11 / Necrolock 5
Race: Human (barely)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Deity: Nerull
Height: 6'1''
Eyes: Unearthly Yellow
Hair: None
Skin: Deathly Pale
DEX: 16
CON: 16
WIS: 12
CHA: 18
Preferred Weapon: Soul's Edge (+2 Keen Ghost Touch Sycthe)

Devoted to Unlife and the Service of Nerull, Narthik is about as close as you can be to death while still alive. Long ago he gave up Sleep and Sustenance to better serve his Lord crafting better and more dangerous Unliving servants.

Some mistake him for a cleric of that dark god until they taste a blast of his unearthly power and succumb to its effects

(Inspired by a Mini i bought and on seeing the Necrolock PrC from these boards)

Talyn
2007-03-26, 08:40 AM
This guy came to me and if I ever get to play a Forgotten Realms game (I usually DM) I'm playing him.

Name: Daren Vyrkos
Class(es): Fighter 1/Paladin 4
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: The Red Knight
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 186 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black, cut short
Skin: Caucasian

Stats Based on the "Heroic" 28-point system. If we're only using the 22-point system, Daren will take the hits in Strength and Wisdom. Yes, I'm well aware that this isn't an optimized build.
DEX: 10
WIS: 15
CHA: 12

Now, Daren would seem to be the "typical" paladin, if such a thing can be said to exist. He's from a minor noble family, is clean and pious and virtuous and slightly full of himself, and is fanatically devoted to the cause of Good and Law and the church of the Red Knight.

Here's the difference - he's in love with his goddess. Romantically in love with his goddess. In fact, he was originally intended to be a paladin of Torm, but the Red Knight (a very minor Lawful Neutral goddess of strategy) happened to accompany Torm during the visitation, and Daren was smitten with her instantly - she seemed so beautiful and cold and alone.

So when Torm granted him paladinhood, he begged the deity to forbear, and to find another more worthy soul, because Daren wished only to serve the Red Knight. If my DM will allow it, I'll have Torm actually be amused by this, and grant Daren his wish.

So now Daren is a paladin of the Red Knight - the only one, as far as he knows, since his goddess has no temples, few shrines, and isn't even Good - and every act he makes he performs with the hope of getting the Red Knight to favor him, maybe even visit him again in a dream. During his downtime, he plays chess and reads books on tactics and leadership when he isn't praying.

Imrix.
2007-03-26, 08:58 AM
I don't think I actually statted the guy out completely at any point, but I came up with the notion of a half-dragon (red) "scavenger" at one point, who made a living by following adventuring parties and looting what they leave behind. Think about it, a few gold may be pittance to an adventurer, but for a peasant or a frugal wanderer, it's enough to keep them fed and (sparsely) housed for days, maybe weeks.

Broken weapons, scrap metal, discarded rations... Whatever. Even corpses. Bones can be sold to necromancers, meat to butchers, skin to tanners, hair to wig-makers or catapault builders, organs to alchemists... He'd sell anything to anybody.

I had trouble thinking of his alignment, all told. On the one hand, he was selfish, greedy and only cared about the price. On the other hand, he wasn't actively out to hurt people, and would often shy away from dealing with infernal forces (admittedly more because those deals tend to come back and bite people than any actual morality).

He wasn't much for religion, but was utterly obssessed with exploring his heritage and researching draconic knowledge, to the point where he revered pureblooded dragons with an almost religious significance. Almost, but not quite. Notably, the whole Tiamat-Bahamut thing didn't bother him at all, he revered Chromatic and Metallic drakes equally (though with a slight bias for reds, obviously).

He was an interesting concept, though, not much for active combat, fairly focussed in his skills, might have gone spellcaster, might not. However, what he did have was roleplaying oppurtunities, such as people he inadvertantly harmed with his indifferent atitude towards selling whatever to whoever coming back to bite him, or what he might do if the party starts working against a dragon.

I generally imagine him looking pretty draconic (claws, tail, scales, back-bending legs), but heavily clothed to hide it. Looking all monstrous isn't good for buisiness. Rules-wise, he'd have ranks in Diplomacy, Gather Information, Survival, Appraise and either Knowledge: Arcana or, if the Dm allows it, a subdivision for Knowledge: Dragons. He doesn't care much about magic items and such, just dragons.

Colin Archibald
2007-03-26, 09:22 AM
Halfling Rogue 7/Master thrower 1
Chaotic Neutral

Wear's a fake eye patch over his right eye to mislead his opponents.

Weapon of Choice. Darts and lots of them.

Obsessed with never missing.

Dart Sharp-Eye has a dart with your name on it.

Cheesy yes. But man he's fun to play.

Wyrmslave
2007-03-27, 09:36 PM
My current character, made entirely for the sheer awesomeness, not for tha actual gameplay stats and everything:
Human Hexblade with dual scimitars
:D I heart dual scimitars. Most awesome looking dual wield weapons evar
Basic but still awesome (in my opinion, that is)

Agreed, but if you make a character use dual scimitars, it'll seem like a Drizz't rip-off D: My character is Half-Elf, no less so that's adding fuel to the fire...

The Mormegil
2007-03-28, 05:14 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

Zincorium
2007-03-28, 05:40 AM
Two maddly powerful comboes:

First thing: This thread isn't supposed to be about cheesy builds, it's about stuff that you'd want to play for flavor, it even mentions that in the name of the thread.

Second thing: Firefox. Built in Spellcheck. Good stuff. Oh, and just a teensy bit of page turning to the index of the books to at least get the right names would go a long ways towards you being taken seriously. No offense meant, but it's far too easy to assume very unflattering things about someone's intelligence when they can't spell things correctly and don't bother to double check.

Thirdly: My personal flavor character (that I've yet to get a chance to play)

'Jeeves', warforged swashbuckler.

Originally comissioned by a noble family in Cyre as a personal bodyguard for their rebellious teenage son, Raleon, as well as a companion to follow him in his revelry that would be immune to the effects of drink and the charms of the fairer sex. Gaudily colored, with rich purple and red enamel competing with gold filigree for attention over a streamlined suit of integral mithral armor, Jeeves was viewed as much a fashion accessory as a servant by the young scion. While initially trained as a soldier, the only combats Jeeves was involved in during his duties were duels and tavern brawls, much more suited to the tactics and equipment favored by Raleon's friends, bravos and rakes from all walks of life. Jeeves adapted quickly and soon became a master in the use of a pair of daggers.

When the war began, Raleon accepted a comission as an officer and boldly if unsubtly led several sorties into neighboring lands, always with Jeeves at his side. The newly promoted lieutenant's luck eventually ran out, and he was separated from his troops and bodyguard in battle and slain. Were it not for the cataclysm, Jeeves would, full of regret and anguish, have returned dutifully to the family manor to tell Raleon's parents of their son's death.

As it is, he now wanders the lands in search of adventure and romance, attempting to live up to the spirit and sense of adventure that Raleon had always talked about.

The Mormegil
2007-03-28, 08:01 AM
Sorry, my mistake. I thoght I posted this in Character Builder Thread, not here. I apologize, I'll change it right now. Besides, I haven't got english books, you know? As you can see, I'm from Italy...

I apologize again for the trouble.

Dareon
2007-03-28, 11:19 AM
I come up with tons of oddball characters here and there. Some examples:

Warforged Paladin/Kensai with Jaws of Death feat (Races of Eberron), his jaws made into his Kensai signature weapon. BITE EVIL!

Theme party: Chaos. Chaos Monk (From a Dragon issue), Sorc/Wild Mage, Wilder, Barb/Frenzied Berserker. Possibly Cleric/Entropomancer, too.

Mutants & Masterminds: Meatneto and his sidekick, Condiment Boy. (Meatneto's main power is Telekinesis, limited to processed or prepared meat of creatures with Int of 2 or lower, Condiment Boy has a pair of Devices: The Squeezers of Gold and Crimson)

The Nose: Gnome Ranger/Warblade, Hunter's Sense stance.

Captain Slurpy: Human PsiWar/Ranger/Illithid Slayer, Illithid Heritage/Grapple/Extraction tree.

talsine
2007-03-28, 11:49 AM
A Dragonborn Orc Monk with the Heart feature. And the Tail feat. I called him Goji. Much fun was had until i met a monkey-person (the race from OA) Monk named Kongo. Or the Anthor Turtle Sorcerer named Gameras. Ah, DaiKaiju, is there anything you don't make better. I think not.

kamikasei
2007-03-28, 12:19 PM
Second thing: Firefox. Built in Spellcheck. Good stuff.

I'll just point out that "mystic" and "mystical" both are correctly-spelled words, and that "theurge" doesn't seem to be in Firefox's dictionary anyway.

Zincorium
2007-03-28, 04:03 PM
I'll just point out that "mystic" and "mystical" both are correctly-spelled words, and that "theurge" doesn't seem to be in Firefox's dictionary anyway.

Yeah, but it is correctly in the SRD, which as far as I know does still exist in Italy, even if the books aren't available, and I was thinking of mistakes like 'comboes' and 'maddly', which I know firefox's subprogram will pick up.

kamikasei
2007-03-28, 04:48 PM
I was thinking of mistakes like 'comboes' and 'maddly', which I know firefox's subprogram will pick up.

Hmm, I didn't see those; perhaps they were edited before I posted. Apologies.

Now to find out how to add "theurge" to the dictionary...