PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Improved Minor Binding

Bucky
2014-11-23, 10:16 PM
This feat from Pact Magic Unbound allows any level 2 character to bind a spirit like a 1st level occultist, but limited to a single minor ability. It has another feat as a prerequisite, and at first glance, none of the 1st level minors are worth committing two feats for.

Observation 1: I can swap the minor ability for a vestigial companion.
Vestigial companions are part of the general spirit binding rules rather than a class feature. So by choosing to gain the minor ability my spirit would trade for a companion, I can turn this into a feat source for temporary animal companions.

Observation 2: The vestigial companion isn't limited to one ability.
Most of the available companions come with Share Granted Abilities from level 1. Share Granted Abilities gives the companion all the abilities from its patron spirit, not just the ones the binder has access to. This includes the major ability and, by RAW, the capstone empowerment AND the ability the binder just traded away.

Observation 3: Share Granted Abilities works in reverse.
The ability sharing lets the binder use the vestigial companion's extra abilities as if he were his own. So by using a companion, I've completely circumvented the one-minor-ability limit.

So now that I have the powers of a level 1 Occultist completely from feats, what should I do with it?

Psyren
2014-11-24, 09:17 AM
You should enjoy it while you can since PMU3 includes some pretty extensive rewrites and errata :smalltongue: