PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Catburglars

asnys
2014-11-23, 10:39 PM
I'm building a rogue that's focused on Hide/Move Silent and catburglary rather then combat, and I'm looking for suggestions for feats aimed at that particular niche. So far I've got:

Darkstalker (obviously)
Swift and Silent

And I haven't really seen anything else worth taking, and I have room for 1-3 more feats in the build. The character is a drow (for RP reasons), if it matters. Any suggestions? I thought about some of the feats in Drow of the Underdark that key off their darkness ability, but none of them really seem worth it.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-23, 10:42 PM
Guerrilla Scout and Guerrilla Warrior from Heroes of Battle, and Keen-Eared Scout in PHB-II.

Venger
2014-11-23, 10:44 PM
you must take master pickpocket if you're focusing on stealing stuff.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-23, 10:47 PM
Quick Reconnoiter lets you make active (as opposed to reactive) spot and listen checks as free actions 1/round each, and gives +2 to initiative. Could be useful if you wanted to move fast while staying alert.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-23, 11:31 PM
Have you taken a look at Chronos Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?88715-Chronos-s-Unalliterative-Skillmonkey-Guide-3-x)?

It's pretty fantastic and has some nice feat suggestions.

Personably I recommend obtain familiar and improved familiar if you can swing the cl. Familiars, particularly the improved variety, make righteous second-story me and having them Sid you with every skill check is awesome.

Venger
2014-11-23, 11:42 PM
Have you taken a look at Chronos Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?88715-Chronos-s-Unalliterative-Skillmonkey-Guide-3-x)?

Personably I recommend obtain familiar and improved familiar if you can swing the cl. Familiars, particularly the improved variety, make righteous second-story me and having them Sid you with every skill check is awesome.

if we're playing that game, then even a single level of incarnate (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1041916) can boost your utility as skillmonkey like you wouldn't believe.

Troacctid
2014-11-24, 01:22 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) gives you at-will short-range teleportation. The ability to ignore physical barriers is very valuable for a burglar. It's also totally silent.

Have you considered being a Beguiler instead of a Rogue? They can match Rogues on skills and they have a great kit for stealth and burglary.

Venger
2014-11-24, 01:43 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) gives you at-will short-range teleportation. The ability to ignore physical barriers is very valuable for a burglar. It's also totally silent.

Have you considered being a Beguiler instead of a Rogue? They can match Rogues on skills and they have a great kit for stealth and burglary.

in this vein, psychic rogue is also a lot of fun for the stuff you're trying to do and imposes minimal sacrifices over straight rogue (3 dice of SA for 5th lvl powers? sounds good)

asnys
2014-11-24, 09:51 AM
Guerrilla Scout and Guerrilla Warrior from Heroes of Battle, and Keen-Eared Scout in PHB-II.

Quick Reconnoiter lets you make active (as opposed to reactive) spot and listen checks as free actions 1/round each, and gives +2 to initiative. Could be useful if you wanted to move fast while staying alert.

Ooh, good ones! Thanks!

you must take master pickpocket if you're focusing on stealing stuff.

I'm aiming more for catburglar then pickpocket - especially since I just don't have enough skill points to get Sleight of Hand.

I'd missed that one - thanks!

if we're playing that game, then even a single level of incarnate (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1041916) can boost your utility as skillmonkey like you wouldn't believe.

I'm afraid I don't have those books.

Thanks for all your help!

Zaq
2014-11-24, 01:38 PM
Agile Athlete (Races of the Wild) lets you use DEX instead of STR for Climb and Jump. That can be a pretty big bonus if your stats are set up right. If you've already got decent STR, it's probably not especially worthwhile, but if you dumped STR, that can make it hurt a lot less.

If you can get your hands on a power point (Hidden Talent is a good choice anyway), Up the Walls (XPH/SRD) can help you get into places you really shouldn't be able to get.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-24, 02:17 PM
I found out yesterday, after a bit of experimentation, that an Incarnate can make an awesome skillmonkey. A human Incarnate with Int 16, Able Learner, and the right soulmelds can have anywhere from 6 to 14 of 20 skills at +20 at any one time, changeable as a swift action. An item of +6 Int (or a combination of items, tomes, and ability increases to total +6) can bring it up to equivalent max ranks between actual skill ranks and insight bonuses from soulmelds. You need to spend feats to get Listen, Hide, and Move Silently (cuz they're Totemist soulmelds), but those are important skills to have.