PDA

View Full Version : Xykon remembers everything!

Pvednes
2007-03-24, 09:38 PM
But he's just feigning it to piss off Roy.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-03-24, 09:39 PM
I don't think so. He's forgotten even when Roy wasn't around.

the300
2007-03-24, 09:58 PM
he has no brain

(FIRST POST)

Kaerbek
2007-03-24, 10:10 PM
-He forgot about Roy's Father.
-He didin't even know who Roy was until he called him "baldy".
-He forgot about the Order eventually.
-He forgot where his keys were, so he had to ask a dead goblin about them.
-He forgot where the personal diary of that Halfling was, until Redcloack found it.
And I presume that he would still forgot many things that Rich just couldn't find the space in the comic to put in.

So, lets say that Xykon's inteligence score is not high enough to make him remember such superficial and superflous things that other cares so much about. Even his war strategy is as simple as it sounds: "just straight forward and crush everything", while redcloack tries to find other ways to accomplish the goal, a real military mind (even Vaarsuvius has some idea of the strenght of intelligence rather than brute force) just won't send billons of goblins to march on over a city without thinking of the posible enemy strategy, etc.

EDIT: plus he's a sorcerer, not a wizard, he doesn't really have to think much.

Kaerbek
2007-03-24, 10:14 PM
he has no brain

(FIRST POST)

Actually he has nothing but bones AND a brain, a skeleton warrior don't have a brain, even a zombie, but xykon is a lich, a powerful undead version of a living arcane mage.
That's why even a Demi Lich (being ten times more powerful than a regular lich) is nothing but a flying skull, everything he needs is in his head...

Angela Christine
2007-03-24, 10:17 PM
But . . . but . . . he has no fluids. Wouldn't his brain just dry up and fall out?

SPoD
2007-03-24, 10:21 PM
But . . . but . . . he has no fluids. Wouldn't his brain just dry up and fall out?

He drinks a lot of Gatorade.

Kaerbek
2007-03-24, 10:21 PM

Ahh, but that's where WE are the ones to forget that... magic is our ever trusted friend to solve those problems... a lich is a natural magic being (he may have made a pact with death to be one step closer to inmortality and such, but by doning so, he gained natural magic means to preserve himself from just being dust in the wind)

Lycanthromancer
2007-03-24, 10:25 PM
In other words...

A wizard did it.

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 10:45 PM
Actually he has nothing but bones AND a brain, a skeleton warrior don't have a brain, even a zombie, but xykon is a lich, a powerful undead version of a living arcane mage.
That's why even a Demi Lich (being ten times more powerful than a regular lich) is nothing but a flying skull, everything he needs is in his head...

Demi-Liches aren't always flying skulls. Some of them are nothing but a floating forearm.

Pvednes
2007-03-24, 10:53 PM
The floating hand thing may be more physically utilitarian, but the flying skull is traditional!

Icewalker
2007-03-24, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I dunno about a super lich as floating hand. Sounds kinda useless. Of course, if the floating heads are arcane casters, how else would they cast spells with somatic components! I think most demi liches probably have an animated arm hanging out somewhere nearby for those spells.

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 10:57 PM
The floating hand thing may be more physically utilitarian, but the flying skull is traditional!

True. If I were a demi-lich, I'd definitely go with the skull thing. The ELH just says that the surviving part doesn't necessarily have to be the skull, and even includes a hand demi-lich that spends its eternity writing in a gigantic spellbook.

* tries to imagine what a demi-lich ribcage would be like *

Mewtarthio
2007-03-24, 11:11 PM
In other words...

A wizard did it.

No, a sorceror did it. Well, actually, any spellcasting class with at least eleven caster levels, Craft Wonderous Item, and a soul as black as the deepest hells could have done it, and I think Wizards released a Psionic Lich somewhere to let the manifesters do it, too, but in this particular case it was a sorceror.

Plus you need the Soul Gems to be stuck somewhere. It looks a lot cooler to have them inside the head.

Though I must admit, a disembodied, skeletal hand is a really creepy idea. A skeletal hand floats ominously through the gate at the head of the massive undead horde. A final bastion of what few brave troops remain charge it, then suddenly begin screaming in horror at some nameless fear before collapsing, dead, to the earth. Its fingers twitch as the freshly-slain corpses stand up. The hand floats silently around, as though surveying the battlefield, and pauses outside your hiding spot. Realizing that you are no longer safe, you get up to flee, but cannot make five steps before your essence is torn from your body and pulled into one of the gems set upon the ghastly wrist.

Pvednes
2007-03-24, 11:12 PM
Meh, I suppose if they reaally need to do some physical labor in the prime material, they can just kill a whole bunch of people and get their animated corpses to do it.

But that would require not eating souls, and besides, why would a demi-lich need to do that? It's way above all that stuff now, it did all that centuries and centuries ago. No more conquering the world, that's for the kids...way too busy violating the multiverse and bringing chaos and destruction to all the planes in an endless quest for more power.

Assassinfox
2007-03-25, 03:22 AM
Though I must admit, a disembodied, skeletal hand is a really creepy idea. A skeletal hand floats ominously through the gate at the head of the massive undead horde. A final bastion of what few brave troops remain charge it, then suddenly begin screaming in horror at some nameless fear before collapsing, dead, to the earth. Its fingers twitch as the freshly-slain corpses stand up. The hand floats silently around, as though surveying the battlefield, and pauses outside your hiding spot. Realizing that you are no longer safe, you get up to flee, but cannot make five steps before your essence is torn from your body and pulled into one of the gems set upon the ghastly wrist.

I demand that WotC hire you.

Mordaedil
2007-03-25, 07:12 AM
Xykon is a sorcerer, thus intelligence and wisdom are dump-stats.

hewhosaysfish
2007-03-25, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately for floating forearms, the Demi-lich template gives Perfect Automatic Still Spell but not Perfect Automatic Silent Spell.
So a floating skull is laughing, but the disembodied hand is boned (pun intended).

Baalzebub
2007-03-25, 10:02 AM
Xykon is not too bright. Quite Charismatic, but his int? in the ground.

Wooter
2007-03-25, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately for floating forearms, the Demi-lich template gives Perfect Automatic Still Spell but not Perfect Automatic Silent Spell.
So a floating skull is laughing, but the disembodied hand is boned (pun intended).

But a skull could not speak any more than a hand could. It has no vocal cords and no tongue... I assume the voice is magical and does not have to eminate from the mouth.

I'd like to se a demi-lich femur.

Edit: Eminate. Menate isn't a word.

Deepblue706
2007-03-25, 12:15 PM
Xykon is not too bright. Quite Charismatic, but his int? in the ground.

He could be a lot worse (could be as intelligent as say, Elan).

I think wisdom would be his greatest lacking. He might not remember much, but it could because he simply loses interest.

A Large Bear
2007-03-26, 03:55 PM
My money's on the losing interest thing, once you've become a nearly epic character, a lot of things are beneath your interest.

Like reality, for example...

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 04:07 PM
int and wis are dump stats? what type of sorcerer do you play....Str is a dump stat fo sorcerer...and maybe wis

Studoku
2007-03-26, 06:44 PM
Int can be a dump stat too. Unlike wizards, sorcerors don't use it.

Charisma is essential for spells like int is to a wizard and dex & con increase armour and Hp which can't be a bad thing when you use D4 for you hit dice.

Starsinger
2007-03-26, 08:52 PM
Yes, but if Int is a Sorcerer's dumpstat, they won't have the skill points to tie their shoes. Now on the other hand, if Xykon's player knew at character creation that he was going to become a Lich he would've used Constitution as a dump stat, since as an Undead he won't have a Con score. But then again, maybe he knew he would someday have servants like Redcloak to think for him, so he took Intelligence as a dump stat afterall

Assassinfox
2007-03-26, 08:55 PM
Yes, but if Int is a Sorcerer's dumpstat, they won't have the skill points to tie their shoes. Now on the other hand, if Xykon's player knew at character creation that he was going to become a Lich he would've used Constitution as a dump stat, since as an Undead he won't have a Con score. But then again, maybe he knew he would someday have servants like Redcloak to think for him, so he took Intelligence as a dump stat afterall

And Sorcerers need skills for what? Face it, if Xykon had shoes, he'd have some minion tie them for him, somehow resulting in their death.

Silverlocke980
2007-03-27, 12:00 AM
No, Xykon really does kill enough people in the span of his (un)life that he just doesn't remember them, anymore.

Heck of a way to (un)live, I'd say!

Frank
2007-03-27, 12:06 AM
And Sorcerers need skills for what? Face it, if Xykon had shoes, he'd have some minion tie them for him, somehow resulting in their death.

I'm glad someone posted on this thread just now, so I could remark on how hard I laughed at this comment.

And Wisdom is Xykon's dump stat...as far as I know, he's smart enough to read and figure out where the coordinates to the various gates happen to be.

That said: Wait until he starts the Snarl ritual before we find out how much int he has, or lacks.

-Frank

Pvednes
2007-04-03, 06:11 AM
I still suspect he's still lying about his memory of matters.

It's the perfect way to wind Roy up.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-03, 06:21 AM
I still suspect he's still lying about his memory of matters.

It's the perfect way to wind Roy up.

Why would he want to though? Its clearly making him able to use his green sword attacky thing.

Shapechanger
2007-04-03, 06:52 AM
Odds are I'm wrong, but I thought Wisdom was responsible for how good a character's memory is?

Old One
2007-04-03, 09:16 AM
I don't know so many rules as you guys seem to do, but I don't think he's faking bad memory anyway! He's an awsome, powerful lich who's concern about others and their thoughts/feeling/goals ect ect is vitually none. And as we all know, things that doesn't interest us much doesn't stay in our memorys as much as things we do find interesting. Xykon's only interested in himself and his goals and therefor he forgets all else that's of no real importance to him! And he might have a really bad memory on top of that. That's what I believe! And that he's really cool badass! :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Darkxarth
2007-04-03, 09:28 AM

What kind of DM wouldn't just say, "Ok, a floating skull should have Perfect Automatic Still Spell, but a floating arm should have Perfect Automatic Silent Spell. We'll just switch those..." And voila! Problem solved.

As for the original topic...

No. He really just has bad memory. Comes from a poor Wisdom score. Also it's funnier if he doesn't remember anything.

Rhialto
2007-04-03, 09:56 AM
Xykon's lack of brain power definitely adds fuel to the "Redcloak is the real evil mastermind, and he's just using Xykon for the nonce" theory...

Black of Night
2007-04-03, 11:18 AM

I was laughing so hard when I read that, my coworkers turned around to see what was so funny.

Anyway, yeah, to quote Office Space - "The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy, its that I just don't care." He doesn't care, and I support this with his ability to remember things of interest to him, e.g. the crown.

Peanut Gallery
2007-04-04, 02:24 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html - Not the speech of someone who lacks intelligence.
If a band of mosquitos came after me tomorrow demanding I receive vengence for the Great Slapping of 2002, I'd prolly blow them off the same way Xykon is doing to Roy. I squish mosquitos all the time. Why should they be any different?

Setra
2007-04-04, 04:24 AM
Xykon's lack of brain power definitely adds fuel to the "Redcloak is the real evil mastermind, and he's just using Xykon for the nonce" theory...
I could see it

Redcloak could kill him by destroying his soulhidey place, right?

totalnerduk
2007-04-04, 06:37 AM
But a skull could not speak any more than a hand could. It has no vocal cords and no tongue... I assume the voice is magical and does not have to eminate from the mouth.

I'd like to se a demi-lich femur.

Edit: Eminate. Menate isn't a word.

Emanate. Eminate isn't a word either.

Of course, a skull and hand, joined by the neck and shoulder, could be an effective Demi-Lich. Assuming that it would be allowed.

SteveMB
2007-04-04, 07:46 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html - Not the speech of someone who lacks intelligence.
I see Xykon as more intellecutally lazy than stupid per se.

Kish
2007-04-04, 09:26 PM
It's part of being Roy's particular nemesis. There is little worse for Roy's ego than an archenemy who will never recognize or remember him, whatever he does.

jindra34
2007-04-04, 09:29 PM
Xykon is going to remeber ROy just before he falls again due to being minorly incovinoinced due to head removal