PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Curse of the Crimson Throne

Kon Lesh
2014-11-24, 11:02 AM
Curse of the Crimson Throne, Edge of Anarchy
http://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/0/0d/Korvosa_panorama.jpg

A calm breeze blows over the city of Korvosa, momentarily relieving the beat of the hot late morning sun. All over the city, people move about their lives. Merchants in the Heights are selling fine goods, while children are running around in Old Korvosa, to a wing of the sable company doing morning maneuvers in the air, to the wizards of the Academae beginning to study their books.

But while the citizens go about their lives, they do not know that, on this day, Korvosa will be forever changed.

Another day, a new day to impress. These past few summer days have been well for you. The heat has been promoting a large number of people to come to the inns to cool off and to watch you. But that also means you are quickly running through your performances. The morning though gives you the perfect chance to train and prepare. It isn't until you sit down that you notice it, an old battered card sitting on your desk. At first you wonder if it is just a note from an admirer, but how did it get on the desk? Picking it up, on it is a large open stage with several rows of seating. A single person stands on the stage, his arms outstretched. On the top are are the words, "The Theater." It is a harrowed card.

You blink, and, when you look back at the card, a silvery script is crawling across it. It reads: “I know what Gaedren Lamm has done to you. I too have been wronged. Where he dwells is known to me, yet I cannot strike him. Find me on Lancet Street, at noon. My house lies under the old oak tree. Others like you will be there. Gaedren will soon face his fate.”

Another day, a new day to search. The streets of Korvosa is a truly difficult to jungle to get anything done. Every person that you talk to give you the disdain that you have grown accustom to. Half the people ignore you and the other half speak of your scars to try to drive you away. Are these people just hateful or are they fearful of Lamm's wraith? You do not know. As you are walking along, looking for any lead that you can, someone bumps into you. As you turn to look, you see no one. Fearing the worse, you search yourself for anything taken. But instead of finding nothing you find something extra. A damaged harrowed card. On it is a man wearing a heavy set of clothes, a walking stick in his hands, and a pack on his back. On the top is the words "The Wanderer."

You blink, and, when you look back at the card, a silvery script is crawling across it. It reads: “I know what Gaedren Lamm has done to you. I too have been wronged. Where he dwells is known to me, yet I cannot strike him. Find me on Lancet Street, at noon. My house lies under the old oak tree. Others like you will be there. Gaedren will soon face his fate.”

Another day, a new day of training...or well not. Oddly enough this was one of the first days in quite a while that you have been given leave. Giving you a few more hours to continue your personal pursuits. Even with the bustling city streets, you are able to move through the them with ease, most people moving the second they see your uniform. It is actually quite a peaceful day. Most of the problems that you come to are cleared by you just showing up. It isn't until closer to the afternoon that you see a man yelling at a beggar and then grabs the beggar, ramming him up against a wall. When you move directly behind the man, he jumps back, releasing the beggar, giving the beggar time to run, leaving an old hat on the ground. The man tries to explain himself that the beggar was scaring away customers. Knowing that there is no way to actually prosecute the man, especially since the beggar has fled, you let him go.

As you turn to leave you give a quick look down to the hat and see something inside of it. For some reason you are drawn towards it and move to pick it up. On it is a nightly view with a full moon in a stary sky, a single blade of grass is across the card with a cricket on it. Along the top are the words, "The Cricket." There is no doubt it is a fortune tellers card, a harrow card.

Another day, a new day of hiding and alchemy. Even with the bright sun outside, your room is dark except for a few lit candles. Slowly you take several different herbs and minerals and begin to grind them up for another of your mixtures. You watch with a skilled eye as the liquid in a vial slowly changes color. Placing it down to allow to mature, you reach for a single leaf to begin the process over again. But instead of of finding your leaf, you take hold of a card.

Though fear may grip you of an intruder, a quick look will show that no one has entered the room. Your attention returns to the battered card. On it, you see a young lady and a man, both dressed in common clothes. Yet, both seem to be enjoying themselves as both are smiling, even seeming giddy. Along the top of the card you see the words "The Joke."

The Joke

The clocks strike eleven, bells tolling. You have an hour, and Lancet Street is far away. Gaedren Lamm awaits...

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-25, 07:15 AM
Sitara

Grunting as she passed a brush through her shoulder-length red hair, Sitara stifled a yawn, her emerald green eyes blinking as she swept the away last vestiges of sleep - last night's performances had gone on a bit longer than usual, and she'd slept in a fair bit to compensate.

That's really going to cut into practice time... Ah well. Could be worse, I suppose.

It was, all in all, a perfectly ordinary morning in Korvosa, and the young dancer cricked her neck as she prepared to face it. Looking at herself in the mirror, she smirked as she took in the sight - hair still partly unbrushed and mussed from the bed, her usual makeup not yet applied. It was a far cry from the impeccably presented beauty that she presented herself as on stage, and she wondered momentarily what her audience might think if they saw her like this.

Then she looked down and remembered she was still in her smallclothes.

You know what? Cancel that thought.

Quickly pulling on a simple green tunic with white breeches, Sitara shook herself out, took in a deep breath, and centered herself. Perhaps it would be best to start the morning off by brainstorming ideas for the storytelling component of her performance. Ideas didn't come from nowhere, after all, and just like iron they needed to be hammered out before they could serve of any real use. She strode over and sat down, easing herself into her chair... and that was when she saw it. Nestled in between all her other notes, an old battered card poked out, it's ragged edges contrasting with the rest of her parchments. Briefly wondering if she'd somehow missed an admirer's letter, not that that was too big of a tragedy, Sitara frowned as she pulled out the card - then gasped as she realized just what it was. Then, as the silvery script with its message of the promise of vengeance crawled across the card, she gasped in shock, dropping it unceremoniously back onto the desk.

Sitara...

Mommy, please! We gotta get you up! Get you to someone who can help-

Sitara... I love you, my little morning star... Be strong for Mommy...

Mommy? Mommy, wake up! Please, wake up!!!
As the memories of a life long left behind sprang forth unbidden by the name of Gaedren Lamm, tears sprang from Sitara's eyes. Did she dare believe, after an entire year of searching with only that name to go on, that her mother might finally be able to rest easy? That she could strike down the man who stole her only family from her?

All of a sudden, the bells rang, tolling out eleven. Not much time. Sitara furrowed her brow, her eyes taking on a dangerous glower.

With dread purpose, she strode over to a chest she kept near her bed. A chest full of the things she'd kept on hand if the chance should ever arise. Prising her fingers under the lid, with a grunt and a strain, she threw it open. A stiff, ordinary brown hide shirt, to protect her from blows. A slightly oversized version of her performer's outfit, designed to be worn over it. A quiver of arrows, and a bow that was rapidly strung, with a small sword following behind. And two pouches to go around her belt.

Sitara stood in front of her mirror, the exact opposite of the woman she'd been not fifteen minutes before. Even with the armor adding a bit of bulk, her lovely figure stood out, all the more accentuated by her performer's outfit - a blazing, firey vermilion in color trimmed with gold, with a halter that accentuated her bosom and a long skirt split far up her legs, so much so that would have been more of a loincloth if not for her breeches. All of it was accessorized with sequins and beads the clinked as she swayed. It was through this that she channeled her magic dances. It was through dance that she drew her power.

It was through her power that Gaedren Lamm would answer for his crimes. Quickly mulling over her mental layout of the city, Sitara left her room, exited the building, and made a beeline for the house under the old oak tree. There was much work to do.

As a native, I'm assuming Sitara would have some idea of where the place on the card is.

Nixed
2014-11-25, 10:30 AM
Iain spun the card over repeatedly in his grimy fingers idly as he though. Likely this wouldn't be Gaedren, but whomever delivered the note got in and out undetected and wasn't someone to be underestimated. It could be a trap, yet he had spent the majority of the past months trying to make a contact such as this; there was no room for doubt now. The tolling of the eleven o'clock bell spurred him into action. With a sigh he scrapped the product he was currently working on and started several others. Nimble fingers went through a practiced routine as he proceeded to quickly infuse a mixture with his own energy. His escape plan in place he packed up his few belongings and not fifteen minutes later was on the street.

Leaving his place he had a brief moment of indecision. He had little time to spare if he wanted to make it to the meeting on time and go by his typical circuitous routes. He didn't want to be on time, however, preferring to be there first to observe these others entering if possible. Finding the later the more important of the two he took off at a jog. Slowing once he reached Lancet he circled the block with the oak tree before doubling back and finding a spot to try and inconspicuously observe the entrance to the house until the noon bell rang.

gmoyes
2014-11-25, 11:16 AM
It was a quiet day for Vallis. He was allowed to have the day off on leave from training which was a rare occurrence. Still, it allowed him free reign around the city for an extended patrol. Maybe today was the day he would find his little sister. Then maybe he wouldn't be the forgotten member of the Jeggare house. He was only part of that family because his mother remarried into it. Maybe if he returned his stepfather's precious little girl to him unharmed he might get some notice. Either way, he had the sense that something was going to happen this day.

On the back of his trusted partner Mahone, Vallis could see over the heads of most of crowd. It was certainly an advantageous position to keep a lookout. He could only imagine the view he would have once he could ride a Hippogriff. Though it may be difficult to keep an eye on the small things, such as a scuffle that broke out in front of a nearby storefront. The hunter jumped off the horse and strode over to the two men. As he approached, he could see that a beggar had been slammed up against a wall by another man who was yelling at the beggar. When he got close, the man noticed him an released the beggar who quickly scampered off forgetting his hat. The other man hastily explained that the beggar was scaring off his customers.

Vallis let out a sigh. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence for people to lash out violently against those on the street who have no real way to defend themselves. It was a sorry state, but there was nothing he could do about it. The hunter looked at the shopkeeper. "Well you've certainly scared him off now. I'm certain that your scuffle has attracted some attention to you and your shop. Carry on."

He waved the man off and turned to get back to Mahone, but the beggar's hat caught his eye. Sticking out from the crown of the hat was a card. His first thought was that it was a playing card the man hid under his hat to cheat while gambling, but then some writing on the card got his attention. Picking it up, the first thing he saw was a name.

Gaedren Lamm

He quickly read it and thoughts came to his mind. Whoever wrote this knew of Gaedren's location and was arranging a meeting. Why did the beggar have the invitation? From the looks of it, it seemed that there was going to be a bout of vigilantism against the criminal. While it was certainly something that should be left to the city guards, Vallis felt this was the only chance to find his sister. Still, he just picked this card off of someone else, it wasn't his. Either way, it was his best lead. It wouldn't hurt to scout it out. The meeting was within an hour so the should be off.

Hiding away the card in his pocket and putting the hat in Mahone's saddlebags, he swung himself into the saddle and and leaned forward to whisper in the horse's ear. "We've got a lead, a house on Lancet. Keep your eyes open." The horse gave a nicker and the duo made their way toward the meeting house, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

Aspect of the Falcon for Mahone, +4 perception.
Looking out for, well, anything really.

Vallis Perception: [roll0]
Mahone Perception: [roll1]

oyzar
2014-11-25, 11:55 AM
The day started bright and early for Aratis. He woke before dawn to ready himself, carefully going over every inch of his various weapons in case he would get need for them. He oiled his sacred Scimitar and tested the links in his flail. After the weapons he did the same thing with his armor, checking that every one of the tightly intervowen small leather plates were sound and fastened tightly. You never know when a chink in you armor might kill you.

Aratis looked out of the window to see the horizon change color. Damn, I won't have time to finish up my preparation before the Dawngreeting. I guess I will have to finish up here afterwards. The magus looks over at his desk where a large leather bound book is laying all by itself, his spellbook. Beside the book, there are not much things in the sparse room, just a bed with his weapons and a backpack beside it, the desk, a chair in front of it and next to the door going out, a small bowl with water. The young man quickly dons his clothes, a grey tunic with several suns sewn on and brown simple but well-made leather breaches as well as a solid belt before strapping on his armor. He straps the Scimitar to his belt before heading out, leaving most of his gear in the room to pick up later.

The Dawngreeting is a rather simple, but important ceremony in the temple of Sarenrae. Through song and dance in the center garden the devout of the Dawnflower tell each other about the strength and joy of the light and how the dawn shows that no matter how dark the night is, the light of the sun will always come back. Just as how no matter how dark a situation might be, there is always hope for good and redemption. Aratis has memorized most of the standard texts, but he can't follow in the improvisation and he knows that he is quite awful at singing so he keeps his voice barely audible so as to not disturb the harmony. Similarly he stands with the dancing dervishes, but he can only do the most basic movements of the bladedance without making a fool of himself. Still he does his best to participate without detracting from the holy ceremony. The dancing reminds him of a memory of last night. A beautiful dancer preforming exquisite movements at the stage. Such perfect features certainly rivaling the divine. Fiery red hair flowing gracefully along with her movements and emerald green eyes he could literately look in for hours. sadly he also remembers the crowd at the place and how he didn't manage to find an opportunity to speak with her. I should have tried to find out more about you, seeing as you haunt my thoughts even without me knowing your name! Hopefully I will see you again some time, and this time I won't stay silent.

After the ceremony he quickly bows to his master and excuse himself "I am sorry master Elavuriella Vurundriel, but I need to finish preparing my spells. I am heading out in the city again today to see if I can't deal with the vile Gaedren Lamm. More of those under his iron fist should be allowed to find redemption" Without waiting for an answer he rushes back to his room to open the waiting book. Magic is fantastic, but I am not strong enough yet to use a lot of it. Hopefully this will be enough if it should come to battle. One spell to knock out a group of enemies, another to severely weaken a target and of course, some magic tricks. Upon finishing the exercise after an hour of concentration he snaps his fingers and mutters under his breath "Doog on to pu ma i raews ylnmelos i." The sweat of the morning dance and the night before dissipates from his body as if washed away, taking with it bodily odor, muck and grime. He runs a hand through his rough blonde hair. Being clean doesn't make my scars look any prettier, but it makes me feel better and it doesn't hurt my chances of finding answers either.

After strapping the rest of his weapons to his body and donning the backpack, now with the book safe inside, Aratis heads out to the city. As we know his search proves to be a frustrating one. Piercing blue eyes and Sandy blonde hair does not make up for his scars, nor for the fact that people really want nothing to do with Gaedren Lamm. As he continue his search, he gets frustrated with his lack of results, causing his mind to wander slightly. Lithe limbs flowing in perfect harmony, spinning around and around, up and down. And a voice surpassing that of an angelic chorus. Suddenly someone bumps into Aratis brutally wrenching him fully back to reality. A quick turn does not reveal who did it, but a quick search of himself does reveal a mysterious card.

After reading the card Aratis is filled with hope. This is more than I could hope for. Someone else with the same mission as me. Seeing my lack of success so far, I could certainly use some help. he looks quickly around again to see if anyone have been observing him and his odd handling of a harrow-card. He carefully places the card into his backpack strapped together with the book so it won't get crushed or bent and sets out towards his new goal. It shouldn't take too long to make it to Lancet Street from here. Hopefully I'll make it there with some time to spare. he speeds up his walk. With a destination in mind he no longer has any interest in talking to passerbyes, he breaks into a light jog as he hustles through the streets to make it there quickly.

Kon Lesh
2014-11-26, 03:50 AM
The sun continues to climb, slowing approaching its highest point, as you approach your destination. You arrive at the street of your meeting place to find it deserted, not uncommon for such an out of the way place. The cobbled street has simple thatched roof house on each side as an elderly oak tree breaks up the cobbled stones near the end of the street. Your destination is a small, poorly maintained house. Painted on the door is picture matching the design on the back of the harrow cards that each of you have. When you touch the door, you find it open slightly, giving free access inside. No sounds come from inside.

You arrive in the order that you post.

@Iain: If you wish to hide, then please roll stealth.

As you ride to Lancet Street, you do not notice anything that could justify stopping when you have such an important goal, but you do notice that some children near Jeggare Square seem to be playing a bit close to nearby food stands. If you give it some time you believe that you may see something unlawful, but it will likely take much longer than you wish to spend.

Also you can use your perception roll to see Iain or anyone else that tries to stealth.

oyzar
2014-11-26, 05:11 AM
Jogging through the city does make Aratis sweat quite profusely. While he is thankfully not too encumbered by his armor, he is is not the best runner. The thoughts running through his mind of a certain hot young woman does not make his body any cooler. Slender arms moving with ethereal grace, ending in perfect digits always in sync with the rest of the body. Fortunately for the young magus, sweat is not a problem that magic can't solve. He arrives at his destination as fresh as if newly risen out of a clear mountain spring where he forces his mind to focus at the task at hand, This is important. It's hard to tell what I might face. This could be a trap.. The young man slows his steps down to a slow walk so he can better study the house and it's surroundings. Still, he walks on with purposeful steps towards the door and raps a gloved fist hard against the wooden door, *knock knock*.

Aratis waits a few moments for a reply. Since he gets none, he slides the door fully open to look inside. He then takes a careful step in to closer study the interior of the place. "Anybody here?" He says in a loud voice if he doesn't see anyone.

Kon Lesh
2014-11-26, 11:51 AM
As you open the door, you are hit with the strong fragrance of flowers and spice. Ginger, holly, and belladonna merge to create a calming scent that quickly clears you sinuses. As you enter, you see several wall mounted burners in the shape of butterfly-winged elves. A variety of incense sticks stick out from them slowly burning, giving the room a hazy, mostly dreamy feel. Along the walls are brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and 5 elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits on the table. A plain note is tied along the handle reads;

Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. The basket on the table contains bread and drink for you.

The 1st (beast juggling hearts) depicts how easily a person's heart can be swayed. The 2nd (angles dancing) show how happy people can be how happy a person can be when their goals are achieved. The 3rd (cloaked figure with flaming sword) is a reminder that death is always watching and waiting.

Everything in the room looks to be of mid-level quality. You would not expect such things inside of such an ugly and damaged looking house.
Each tapestry can fetch atleast 100gp, the chairs are worth 25gp each, the 3 rugs would each bring in atleast 20 gp, and the incense holders could go for 10 gp. There is easily 500 gp worth of furnishings in here.

The furnishings are illusions. The room is actually very bare. The tapestries are in shreds. The incense holders are not there, they have been long ago torn from the walls. The rugs are in shreds, the basket is empty. The chairs and table are worn but firm.

The bread and wine are safe to have.
The food taste slightly off, almost airy

These are illusions. The room is actually very bare. The tapestries are in shreds. The incense holders are not there, they have been long ago torn from the walls. The rugs are in shreds, the basket is empty. The chairs and table are worn but firm.

There is a faint illusion effect on this place
Everything is an illusion. The room is actually very bare. The tapestries are in shreds. The incense holders are not there, they have been long ago torn from the walls. The rugs are in shreds, the basket is empty. The chairs and table are worn but firm.

oyzar
2014-11-26, 12:36 PM
Aratis carefully looks around the place What a wonderful smell, but this place is kinda out of place. Really fantastic interior right here in the middle of nowhere. Quite the tapestry, the artist who made it is as good as some of those in the temple. Without moving further in he focuses and waves his hand rapidly in front of him in circular movements. "Cigam neddih flesruoy wohs" He mutters under his breath as he tries to determine if there is anything of magical nature in the place. He concentrates for a few rounds to determine the nature of the aura he finds. Why would there be magic in a place such as this.

The young man pauses for a few moments after finishing his spell, his curiosity and hope for finding any further clues to deal with Gaedren eventually wins over his caution though and he goes further into the room to study the contents. He finds the note and reads it, though he tries not to touch anything yet. Bah, I was hoping to get started on something right away, but I guess I'll wait for whoever wrote this note to come back, or maybe someone else that was mentioned in the note to come. The magus continues around the room, studying the tapestry further as well as the food on the table.

Detect Magic requires a knowledge arcana to identify the type of the aura [roll0]
I am using my perception check from the OOC which was 14
Appraise [roll1]
will save[roll2]

gmoyes
2014-11-26, 12:37 PM
As Mahone clopped through the city streets, Vallis surveyed the area. Nothing much was happening while en-route, besides some children who may end up causing some trouble down the road. Nothing he could concern himself with, children will be children and he had more pressing matters to attend to. He made good progress with his mount, the crowds parted at the sight of his uniform and large horse. They soon reached their destination.

It was a rather rundown, unassuming house, besides the fact that had the front door had the design of the back of the card he had pick up on it. At least this was the right place. As he watched, a scarred, light haired man knocked on the door and made his way in. Probably some rough company. He drew up to the opposite side of the street and dismounted, propping the lance slung along his back up against the wall on a nearby building. "Wait here Mahone." He took a few steps towards the door and muttered some words under his breath.

Using Detect Magic

I'm not gonna be able to make that will save.

Having detected the presence of some illusion magic, he backed up towards his partner. "I don't like this. Let's just see who else shows up. Maybe that will give us a better idea what all of this is about." Mahone gave a little nicker in response. With that, Vallis stayed across the street keeping a casual eye on the door while trying to look like a bored city guard who would rather be off patrolling somewhere else. He took a little bit of time to groom Mahone slightly while killing time.

If needed, untrained bluff check if you think the loitering is suspicious. It probably will look that way.
[roll0]

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-26, 12:38 PM
It was a little before noon when Sitara reached the end of the street, looking around for a little before spotting the door marked with the sign on the Harrow card. Shivering a little, the eerie silence of the street doing nothing for her nerves - aside from a lone guard standing idly bored nearby (why here of all places?) - she tentatively pushed open the door and took in the sights.

Immediately the overwhelming smell of incense calmed her somewhat, though her heart still pounded in her chest like a drum, the steady beat reverberating in her ears. Her attention was called next to the tapestries on the walls, the macabre displays putting a frown on her lovely face.
What does that remind me of...

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Then, she saw him. A scarred, blonde-haired and blue-eyed man, clad in scale armor and brown breeches, a scimitar hanging at his belt. She found her voice and spoke. "Excuse me... who - who are you?" A flash of nervousness crossed through her, and she produced her Harrow card. "Are you reponsible for this?"

oyzar
2014-11-26, 01:16 PM
Aratis quickly turns from examining the room towards the intruder. The suns on his grey tunic waving with the movement. His eyes goes wide as he sees who it is that enters a mix of shock and surprise clearly visible on his face. Oh Sarenrae, thank you, it is her! The Magus thinks to himself before saying. "I am Aratis. And I am not responsible." He reaches into the pocked of his backpack to produce a similar card with a different design. "Though I wish I was. Bringing us together here is the best thing that could have happened to me." He takes a careful step closer to let her examine the card he holds out. "I got this card less than an hour ago. It says to meet here to have Gaedren Lamm meet his fate and that others like me will be here. Are you here for him as well? By the holy light of Sarenrae, I swear I will bring him to justice." His hand shoots down to grab the hilt of his sword, though he does not draw it. "Now that I have met you, there is nothing I wish for more than to see him dealt with appropriately." His eyes are glittering with determination, though the scars on his face makes for a somewhat sinister look.

Nixed
2014-11-26, 03:00 PM
On Iain's second pass around the block he sees the others enter the building. He pauses a moment, mustering up his courage with a deep breath before diverting his course and entering the door to the house. He stops just inside the doorway, both to allow his eyes to adjust to the change of lighting, and to listen to the end of Aratis' speech. He nearly turns to leave as the man goes for his blade, but another moment to steel his resolve he steps in further, holding his own Harrow card out as he does.

oyzar
2014-11-26, 03:23 PM
Aratis catches himself as if he forgot something. "Oh, I forgot. What is your name?" Before he gets a reply his eye catches the new guy entering the place. He turns his head to look towards the new entrant. His gaze is still burning with cold determination, but he releases the grip on the hilt of his sword. "What have we here, another person with a card? Who might you be?"

Nixed
2014-11-26, 04:16 PM
Iain offered a boyish grin in response. "This is the Gaedren Lamm funeral planning committee no?" It was a joke, of sorts, his usual response to uncomfortable situations. He stepped in fully out of the shadow of the entrance. He'd worn the robes of his former academy in an effort to blend in while he was attempting to watch the place. It seemed like a good idea at the time, though now they just felt hot and uncomfortable over his leather armor. He swung his pack off his back, it contained the majority of his worldly possessions and ran his free hand through his dirty blond hair, which appeared to have been hastily hacked short not all that long ago. "I'm Iain."

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-26, 07:28 PM
Sitara relaxed a bit as Aratis revealed he was not the one responsible, then gaped a little as he held out his own card. Taking her own, she looked at the silvery text once more.

Others like you will be there...

Then, as he went on to deliver a very forceful and emphatic speech, it was all but confirmed, though she could not help but be taken aback a bit at the forcefulness with which he delivered his speech.

So they have felt the touch of his cruelty as well. Maybe today will be the day. But what did he mean by 'now that I've met you'?

"S-so it would seem." Sitara replied to both Iain and Aratis' questions. "My name's Sitara. Pleased to meet the both of you."

oyzar
2014-11-26, 08:18 PM
Sitara, what a wonderful name. It is an Anagram of my own! Surely this must be fate. Aratis thinks before saying. "Pleased to meet me? That's great. I am extremely pleased as well." A genuine smile appears on Aratis' face. He takes a step backwards and fans out his arm as if to show off the room. "It seems like whoever gave us those cards is not here. We only got a short note to explain the situation." he points towards the note so the other can read it. "Despite the strange room and circumstances, it seems to me we share a common goal. I think it might be a good idea for us to work together. We might as well get to know each other better while we wait for our host to return." The young man takes a step closer to one of the chairs and tries to sit in it as he continues. "Most common folk want nothing to do with mobsters like Lamm. What brings you here." While his words are open to invite both of them, his eyes are focused on Sitara. He studies her face before moving on to her body then back to her face, trying to etch every lovely detail into his memory.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-26, 09:12 PM
As Aratis gestured to the note, Sitara picked it up, examining its contents. Pulling a seat out from the table, she sat down, her nervousness gradually subsiding. "That may well be what our mystery host intends, if the writing on these cards is any indication." Taking a piece of bread from the basket, she turned it over, giving it a cursory inspection for any obvious warning signs.

Perception: [roll0]
A quick tap and a sniff of the bread revealed no obvious shortcomings. "Seems safe enough." The young dancer took a bite, the hearty taste permeating her senses. Upon hearing Aratis' final question, however, she stopped chewing. While the loss of her mother was a wound over a decade old, the pain had yet to subside, and the words refused to come - even in the presence of others who, it seemed, had been wronged by Lamm. Regardless, she found her words, and spoke once more. "I... Lamm killed someone, someone close to me, a long time ago - and it was my own fault." She idly nibbled at the bread, her appetite curbed by the morose direction of the conversation. "Heh. Of course, she'd say it wasn't, if she was still alive, not that it makes a difference. For so long I knew nothing except that whoever killed her took her ring. Then, a year ago, I finally found a name... And yet he still eluded me." Grim determination showed on her face. "But not today. Not with your help." She looked around, a hopeful look on her face - and caught Aratis staring at her in wonderment. While used to the stares of onlookers, especially during her performances, Sitara could not help but quirk an eyebrow. "Um... you said something earlier along the lines of 'now that I've met you', and the way you said it... Have we seen each other before?"

gmoyes
2014-11-26, 10:16 PM
From his post from outside the door, Vallis saw a young woman enter the building almost immediately after he arrived. The girl didn't seem like one who would be drawn to criminal wrong doings, but he couldn't be sure. People could be dragged into stuff like this easily. If thinks went south, she would need to be looked after. Though then again, she did seem somewhat armed so she won't

After a while, a scruffy looking man in old academy robes went through the door as well. While a mage would be an interesting addition, his sharp eyes spied some leather armour underneath. Perhaps something other than a magician. Either way there was something going on here. Were these people of different statuses all connections with Lamm? Why were they all here? Who could have sent for them?

After waiting a bit longer and seeing no one else show up, the hunter made up his mind. He probably wasn't going to learn much by standing around out here. I may be risky, but to find his sister, it would be worth it. If he came into trouble, he was sure he could handle it. "Stay here on lookout Mahone, I'll be back soon."

If handle animal check needed to guard the area: [roll0] DC 10

Checking his bow to make sure if it was in quick access, he made his way to the doorway. Taking a steadying breath, he poked his head through the doorway. "Hello?" He saw the three people gathered talking. He entered the room and gave a slight cough from the wave of incense that hit his nose. "Are you folks here because you were summoned to deal with a Gaedren Lamm? This is where the meeting it taking place, yes?" Now that he got a closer look at the others, he could see that the men we quite a bit taller than he himself was. They seemed at ease for now, though maybe his arrival would put them on edge. He also looked around the room trying to figure out who had sent out these cards. He muttered a spell under his breath to see if there was any magical trickery to be seen.

Casting detect magic and I'm gonna try rolling everything because I can :smalltongue:
Know: Religion: [roll1]
Appraise: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]
Will: [roll4]

"This just doesn't seem right... Do any of you have an idea on who called us here?" He asked those assembled and kept to his feet and stood by the door.

oyzar
2014-11-27, 05:46 AM
Aratis is just about to reply to Sitara's question with a young short man in uniform enters with a curious question. The magus is conflicted about what to answer first. His hearts wins out over common sense in the end and he turns back to Sitara with a smile. "I don't know if met is the right word, but I've seen you preform. Your dancing is amazing, the best I have seen, so elegant and beautiful, just like you. You probably didn't notice me though. Just another face in the crowd." Aratis' smile fades on the last comment.

Having completed his answer Aratis turns back to the Marine. His face now one of suspicion. "That is kinda an odd question. The rear of us came here for whatever has sent us these cards." He holds out his own. "But you immediately assumed that none of us were that person. Do you know something we don't? Though I guess you are right in your assumption. We all got cards telling us to come here to deal with Gaedren. Who are you? Are the marines responsible for this gathering or what has brought you here?" After a moments pause Aratis remember something he forgot again. "Oh, I am Aratis."

gmoyes
2014-11-27, 03:51 PM
Vallis paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. The scarred man, Aratis, had asked good questions and he had to figure out the best way to answer. Might as well start off on an honest note. "I watched you folks come in and it seemed that you weren't quite sure what was going on. I assumed that there would be someone to explain all of this, but I see that not the case quite yet." He gave a sheepish grin. "I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to be here. Still, if we're here to hunt down Lamm, I guess you have my support."

Then with a slight, respectful bow, knowing he was most likely the highest born in the group, gave himself a proper introduction. "Vallis of House Jaggare, Sable Company Trainee at your service. And I do not think it is the Company or any other member of the city guard behind this. This method of gathering people seems rather... obtuse? Anyways, Lamm is somewhat below the attention of them, much to my family's chagrin." The hunter grimaced. "Your guess is as good as mine as to what is behind this. I personally find all of this rather suspicious and not something that's entirely within the law. I suggest keeping your guard up."

With that, he folded his arms and remained by the door. He hoped that things will become clear soon. Still, it looked like if they were going to be hunting down Lamm, this was an odd assortment to do it with. They might make useful companions but he wasn't aware of their motives yet. Might be for the best to keep a fair distance from them. Erastil knows what his family would think of associating himself with the likes of these folks. In the end it may be worth it though. They would see.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-27, 04:54 PM
Sitara listened as Aratis replied to her question, a sense of understanding clicking in her brain as he did so. Ah. That explains the comments. And the staring. On the upside, he seems nice enough. Sitara, of course, had come across a wide variety of admirers in her line of work - her job was to captivate the hearts of her audience, after all. In turn, she had seen all manner of manifestations, from the simple professional enjoyment of several of the more upper class patrons, to the enthusiastic fandom of many of her female viewers, to the more courtly devotion and flowers thrown by the more respectful men in her audience, and an unfortunate few men who forgot their stations and leered, forgetting their boundaries.

Aratis, at least, did not appear to fall into that latter category. Although he does seem rather... intense.

For the time being, however, she smiled and nodded respectfully. "Thank you. It's always a pleasure to know people enjoy my performances." She then turned to Vallis. "To be honest, I don't think any of us really know what's going on just yet. As for someone to explain this, maybe others are coming? There are four of us here already. Perhaps our host is hiding until everyone is assembled."

"Speaking of whom, maybe it's some sort of wizard who's behind all this? It would explain the card appearing out of nowhere on my desk, and the script." Sitara then gave a start as she realized she'd forgotten something. "Oh, uh, by the way, my name is Sitara. That's Aratis, of course, and he's Iain." She gestured at each of the men in turn as she introduced them.

oyzar
2014-11-27, 06:28 PM
Aratis nodds at the mention of a wizard. "There is definitively someone with magic capabilities involved in setting up all this. There is a aura of illusion magic somewhere here, though I am not sure what it is for. Maybe whoever called us here is indeed hidden somewhere behind magic observing us? I don't think it's just some wizard though. My card was delivered by a skilled pickpocket or similar, though instead of getting robbed, I got this card. Then again, that was probably just a messenger. This place is odd more than just the magic though. The things surrounding us are worth at least half a thousand gold! Someone with that kind of money could probably hire quite a few decent mercenaries." He waves his arms around to point out the various objects of interest. Then the he shakes his head. "I don't particularly care who is behind this though, if they can help bring Gaedren Lamm to justice I will be more than grateful. Just like Sitara I got my own reason for seeking him out." He traces the scars on his face. "He was the one who gifted me with these. I know what it is like to be under his heel. If we can others from suffering a similar fate that would be very good." He looks over at Vallis. "I am not some noble to live life in luxury removed from reality, I know what it is like there out in the shingles. What bring one noble such as you to seek someone like Gaedren?" He nods towards Vallis before turning towards Iain. "Then again, you haven't told us much about yourself either. What caused you to want to arrange Gaedren's funeral, as you put it."

Kon Lesh
2014-11-28, 12:54 AM
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/nrfc49/Curse%20of%20the%20Crimson%20Throne/Zellara.jpg

"Wonderful, you have all arrived." Says an attractive woman as she enters the room. Without delay she closes the door behind herself and returns her attention to the group. “Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I am Zellara. As you maybe able to tell, I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This is a man you know, for he has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. The woman speaks as she walks around the table and takes an open chair in front of tapestry of the dancing angles. She motions her hands for the others to sit at the table as well.

She pulls out a Harrow deck and begins to slowly shuffle, it seems from instinct more than anything else. "You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my Harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When pickpockets stole it, my son, Eran, tracked them down and took it back. When he returned, I was so happy, but it wasn't to last. The thieves found Eran and took him. The thieves were in the employ of Gaedren Lamm, and in reward for finding them, Gaedren murdered my son." Her voice drops slightly as she recounts her problems with Lamm, but quickly returns to normal.

“I sought help from the Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures. And now, I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him—what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.” Zellara continues to slowly shuffle her Harrow deck, give the group a chance to absorb everything and giving all of you a chance to speak up with questions or other declarations.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-28, 08:43 AM
Sitara gave a start as, just after Aratis spoke, a voice came from behind, their mystery host finally revealing herself. Keeping her eyes fixed on the woman who then introduced herself as Zellara, she listened with rapt attention, her heart aching in sympathy as she recounted the loss of first her Harrow Deck, and then her son.

Having bowed her head and closed her eyes during the story, Sitara opened them once more as she addressed Zellara. "And pay he will. For your son, my mother, and for all the wrongs he has done to everyone." Raising her head, she looked her in the eye and continued. "A few questions first, however. This fishery - do you know anything about the building itself? What kind of 'help' he has? I'd rather not just go rushing in blindly and let Lamm get away once more." Sitara then took her card and laid it down on the table. "And... I must confess, I'm curious. How did you get this card into my room? And why that one in particular?" She looked at the face again. "I will confess that it is appropriate to my job."

oyzar
2014-11-28, 10:39 AM
Aratis is already sitting facing the door when the woman enters so he is not surprised when she starts talking. He studies her intently as she starts to speak and a small smile climbs onto his determined face as she reveals herself to be their host. He watches her harrow deck for a time, but as her speech moves on he can't help but shoot glances at Sitara. Up close she is even more stunning and the way she acts is just so cute. Despite the distraction of the lovely young woman, his mind is still mostly focused at the task at hand. He has after all wanted to do this for the majority of his short life.

Eventually he raises his voice, still with a grim smile on his face. "I should be the one to thank you. Your efforts have brought me closer to achieving my goal than I could hope to do on my own. I am sorry for your loss, but at least I can try to help bring the villain to justice. I hope I won't have to experience losing someone I love like you two have." He looks over at Sitara with concern in his eyes as he says so. Empathy for the loss of her mother or something else entierly? " Now we need to focus on the task at hand. Do you have any particular plan in mind? Using our strengths against their weaknesses could greatly increase our chance of success. Though to do that we need to know their capabilities and weaknesses. Have your harrow deck told you such information? Similarly we need to know our strengths. What are your capabilities in battle? For that matter, what are everyone else capable off?" he looks around the table. "For myself I am quite decent with my holy scimitar, but I also got some magic. One spell I have can knock several enemies out for a short while, hopefully enough to finish the fight in our favor. Another one freezes an opponent, severely limiting their ability to fight back or to defend themselves for that matter. Sadly, I can't use them more than once each, my magic is still fairly limited."

gmoyes
2014-11-28, 01:38 PM
Vallis listened as Sitara introduced herself and the others and their theories about this situation. A magician made some sense, but surely they could have used other methods then leaving cryptic cards all over the place. However at Aratis' comment of him living a life of luxury he was about to snap back an indigent response but was interrupted by a new figure entering the building. The woman introduced herself as Zellara and said that she was the one that invited them all here. Considering that he was included meant that he himself was invited instead of getting his hands on someone else's invitation. Then how did she know that he would run into that one beggar and his hat would fall off? Unless it managed to get into the hat between it falling off and him noticing it. Most likely some magical shenanigans were involved.

When Zellara motioned for the group to sit down, Vallis took a seat somewhat close to the door. As the woman explained her plight, the hunter tried to get a read on her. While the story explained her motives, he wondered if there was something she wasn't saying. Maybe instead of an attack on Lamm, it was setting up a trap for enemies of the criminal. One couldn't be too sure.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Sitara and Aratis quickly voiced their support and started asking questions and coordinating fighting plans. Vallis figured he may as well voice his input. "I'm here because Lamm has my sister. She has been stolen from us and I intend to bring her back home. I swear to the gods that if she has come to any harm, I will personally make sure that he will never see the light of day again!" He pounded the table for emphasis. "I'll support you. I'm rather handy with a bow and mount. I also know some divine magic and I have a couple of scrolls of healing magic just in case. If you'll take me, you'll also have the backing of Jaggare House and the Sable Company." Or at least he hoped so. He didn't know how harshly he would be reprimanded for overstepping the laws like this. Still, he had to do this, for Lesine's sake.

Nixed
2014-11-28, 06:19 PM
He's about to answer Aratis when Zellara enters and clears most of their questions up. Iain steps aside to allow the woman to pass and listens as she makes her way to the table and explains herself. He however does not give up his position near the door to take one at the table until everyone else complies with the request, taking the left over chair placing his bag on the floor at his feet.

As the others begin to jump in with questioning and it seems probable that at least they are there for the reasons they claim he relaxes ever so slightly. The alchemist waits for Zellara to respond to the initial barrage of questions before speaking up. "Taking down Gaedren seems to be the only way to clear my name. I'm in."

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-28, 10:23 PM
"I should be the one to thank you. Your efforts have brought me closer to achieving my goal than I could hope to do on my own. I am sorry for your loss, but at least I can try to help bring the villain to justice. I hope I won't have to experience losing someone I love like you two have."
A feeling of simultaneous gladness at Aratis' wishes and residual sadness from the loss of her mother washed over Sitara, and she gave a sad smile. "Thank you, Aratis. Pray that indeed never comes to happen. It is the worst feeling in the world." She clutched a hand over her heart.

Now we need to focus on the task at hand. Do you have any particular plan in mind? Using our strengths against their weaknesses could greatly increase our chance of success. Though to do that we need to know their capabilities and weaknesses. Have your harrow deck told you such information? Similarly we need to know our strengths. What are your capabilities in battle? For that matter, what are everyone else capable of?"
"What can I do? Um... well, you know, of course, that I'm a dancer. It's how I make my living. That, and telling stories. Thing is, ever since I was a little girl, I've discovered that I have something of a mild affinity for magic, as well." She mildly rubbed the back of her neck, nervousness evident in her demeanor from discussing the business of combat in such a frank manner. "Recently, I've been... experimenting with combining the two. When you're performing, you live or die by the reaction of the crowd. As such, a big part is augmenting the emotions that spring forth when I dance or tell a tale." A more dreamlike smile crossed her face. "I'll confess, there are days when it's a hard life, but when I'm at my best, losing my body in the rhythm, the movement... there's nothing else like it in the world." Her countenance grew more serious as she realized she'd veered off-topic. "Anyway, I've discovered that by correctly channeling my magic as I dance, I can actually affect those around me in a number of ways. I can inspire courage in your hearts, to give you a little extra oomph when you're swinging a sword or facing off against something trying to strike fear into your hearts. I can also use my performance to counter other people's magic, in a way - I can use my dancing to help people realize when there are illusions, or singing to counter spells that rely on sound. In theory, anyway. I'm not a bad singer, but it's not really my forte. Also... um... by channeling my magic when doing a particularly... well, um... sensual dance, I can cause someone to become focused on me to the exclusion of everyone else." As Sitara mentioned the latter use of her performance, she began to blush, her cheeks turning a bright rosy red, and she shrank down into her chair.

After a few moments passed, she coughed and continued. "As far as more concrete uses of magic go, I can channel it into my bow or sword - though I prefer the use of the former - to give it an extra sting. I also know a few cantrips for reading and detecting magic and causing a distraction, as well as a couple more advanced spells to cover an area in a slick grease or charm someone into becoming friendly. I don't need to prepare them at the beginning of the day like a wizard or cleric - though I can only cast a total of about two of them a day before getting tired. I also have a wide variety of more basic skills - I can evaluate how much an object is worth, determine whether it has magic properties, tell what kinds of spells other people are casting, use wands and scrolls, and in a pinch I can try to bluff people or talk them down - though I'm still working on the finer aspects of that last one. Lastly, I tend to read a lot in my off time, so I know a lot of esoteric facts about all kinds of subjects, useful, useless and otherwise." Sitara took a deep breath. "That should be everything, unless I've forgotten something."

Kon Lesh
2014-11-29, 12:28 AM
"A few questions first, however. This fishery - do you know anything about the building itself? What kind of 'help' he has? I'd rather not just go rushing in blindly and let Lamm get away once more." Sitara then took her card and laid it down on the table. "And... I must confess, I'm curious. How did you get this card into my room? And why that one in particular?" She looked at the face again. "I will confess that it is appropriate to my job."

" Now we need to focus on the task at hand. Do you have any particular plan in mind? Using our strengths against their weaknesses could greatly increase our chance of success. Though to do that we need to know their capabilities and weaknesses. Have your harrow deck told you such information? "

Zellara continues to shuffle the Harrow as she responds to the questions "The Harrow has been able to tell me some. The fishery is an abandoned building. Like many buildings whose owners have died or failed to pay taxes, the king has taken it. But there are so many that it gets lost in the system and the tax collectors ignore it. A perfect place to hide for Lamm, until he moves on to his next hiding place. I know that Lamm has several strong arm thugs, one is even able to weave magic. There are at least a dozen children under his grip, fear for both themselves and the other children keep them slaves to Lamm's will, they may fight you out of fear or join you if you can give them hope. As for a plan, I...do not know. I am no warrior. I can't raise a weapon, nor can I weave powerful magic. I fear that if I join you, I would only get in the way."

As Sitara reaches for her Harrow card, Zellara stops shuffling and turns over the top card, The Theater, and places in front of Sitara. She then places the next three cards in front of Iain (The Joke), Vallis(The Cricket), and Aratis(The Wanderer). "As I have said, these cards have been in my family for generations. They have the soul of my family in them. They weep for my family, the end of my tree. They want vengance, as do I. I asked them to find ones who could help and they found all of you. The Theater, your performances enchant many and can sway hearts. The Joke, danger overcome by artifice and inventions. The Cricket, quick and steadfast. The Wanderer, worth in those cast-off."

Zellara then takes the cards once again and begins shuffling again.

"Taking down Gaedren seems to be the only way to clear my name. I'm in."

"Thank you

Zellara wants Lamm dead. She knows that she can not do it alone, if anything at all, and is desperate for help.

oyzar
2014-11-29, 07:01 AM
Aratis was enraptured by Sitara's recitation and followed her closely, listening to her words as the sweetes melody while at the same time drinking in her body with her eyes. When she blushed, he did too, thinking of how her marvelous body could move. With a smile he says. "I am sure your inspiration will work wonders. I also like to read, may be we can exchange knowledge some time, but this is not the time nor place to discuss such things. Though I'll certainly mention it if something I've learned prove relevant to our mission." He comments in response to Sitara's list of skills.

With Zellara handling the deck, Aratis' gaze is unwillingly drawn from the bard to study the cards their host lays out. A harrow deck eh? That's interesting. Quite different from my own magic. What do I remember Elavuriella saying about such things? he thinks to himself. After Zellara is done talking Aratis nods and says. A grim smile and a determined look is back on his face. "I guess it's down to the four of us then eh? Still, that's much better odds than me going at this alone. Sounds like we got three people capable of at least some magic, while they only got one. I doubt we'll find some secret entrance to the place, so I suggest we just head over there as soon as possible, that leaves less chance for Gaedren to react. Though maybe your magic can trick one of his henchmen to reveal things to us, Sitara? If we could surprise him alone, things would be much easier. As for giving the children hope, I think I am living proof of that, I've been in his clutches and escaped. Sadly I am not the best with words." Having turned his gaze from Zallara to Sitara he now turns back to Iain. "Artifice and inventions eh? Do you have some kind of contraption that can help us with what we are doing? You haven't told us much about yourself. Why do you need to clear your name?"

What does Aratis knows about harrow decks? Knowledge:Arcana [roll0]
Does he remember anything from Gaedren's Henchmen from the time he was there? I imagine it's something like 5 years since he escaped. I guess it's really awkward I haven't put a rank in knowledge local eh? Untrained knowledge:local [roll1]
Would arcana work for the magic-user, does Aratis remember him? [roll2]

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-29, 09:27 AM
"The Harrow has been able to tell me some. The fishery is an abandoned building. Like many buildings whose owners have died or failed to pay taxes, the king has taken it. But there are so many that it gets lost in the system and the tax collectors ignore it. A perfect place to hide for Lamm, until he moves on to his next hiding place. I know that Lamm has several strong arm thugs, one is even able to weave magic. There are at least a dozen children under his grip, fear for both themselves and the other children keep them slaves to Lamm's will, they may fight you out of fear or join you if you can give them hope. As for a plan, I...do not know. I am no warrior. I can't raise a weapon, nor can I weave powerful magic. I fear that if I join you, I would only get in the way."

Sitara shook her head at the mention of the children. "Those poor children..." A look of determination etched itself into her face. "If it's hope they need, it's hope they'll get. This is about more than just us. It's about everyone else he's hurt." She pounded her fist on the table for emphasis.

"I guess it's down to the four of us then eh? Still, that's much better odds than me going at this alone. Sounds like we got three people capable of at least some magic, while they only got one. I doubt we'll find some secret entrance to the place, so I suggest we just head over there as soon as possible, that leaves less chance for Gaedren to react. Though maybe your magic can trick one of his henchmen to reveal things to us, Sitara? If we could surprise him alone, things would be much easier."

Sitara looked over at Aratis. "We may not get that chance, but... if at all possible, that would give us a huge advantage. I'll try to keep an eye out for such a chance." She then looked over at Zellara. "As for leaving right away, there's one other thing I'd like to do first. Zellara, you said earlier that you're no warrior, nor any sort of magical adept. But there is one thing you have." She motioned to the Harrow Deck. "You said earlier that the deck has the soul of your family in it. And it is said that the Harrow deck can tell people whether to hope for the best or prepare for the worst. Before we go, could you perhaps give us a reading? See which one it is?"

Nixed
2014-11-29, 12:24 PM
Iain pauses a moment before eventually relenting and opening up. "There's not much of interest to say really; I was just a student. Gaedren thought I'd be better off dead, and when that didn't work he tried to frame me for murder. His false witness eventually recanted, but it turns out getting off on a technicality doesn't raise your standings in the community much."

An empty vial comes out of his belt pouch and he idly spins it in his hand as he speaks. "I can make a number of substances that would be helpful, but I don't have any on hand, and they all take time and money to prepare. I've been selling the ones I do have off or trading them trying to find Gaedren up until now. I got kicked out before I quite got the hang of keeping the extracts I make potent once I give them to someone else, but I've had a knack for explosives that'll be quite useful in a fight.

gmoyes
2014-11-29, 02:17 PM
Vallis took a look at the cards Zellara had presented them with. Were they supposed to represent them? The cricket, quick and steadfast she had said. Perhaps those could be words used to describe him, but they could also describe many other people. While divination through cards may be limiting and difficult, they had none the less found people willing to hunt down Lamm for whatever reason. Maybe they would tell about other thing that will come to be. When Sitara asked about giving the a harrow reading, the hunter gave a nod. "I would not be opposed to a Harrow reading, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. But we must also make haste. If we dally too long Lamm may slip away along with whatever captives he has."

With a trained eye and listening to others state their various skills, Vallis tried to think of some strategies they could put to use. Aratis seemed skilled with the blade at his side and people had their various magical abilities, but who knew if they would be able to stand up to whatever thugs were under Lamm's employ. Maybe drawing them out into an ambush would be the best course of action? It may be best to check out this fishery first to see what they were dealing with. Either way, it was too bad that Mrs Zellara wasn't going to accompany them. Her trickery with cards may be useful for a distraction or something along those lines. He guessed that it was enough for the woman to know that revenge would be delivered via proxy rather than partake in it herself. Still there was some concern about the fortune teller. "Madam Zellara, what do you plan on doing while we are challenging Lamm? If the man escapes, he may come straight for you. I suggest finding a spot where it would be hard for Lamm to strike, such as by a guard post. Also we should set up a place for us to meet afterwards so we can inform you when the deed is done or if Lamm escapes and we need to warn you. Does that sound fair? What does everyone else think?" he finished, talking to the group at large. He could have suggested protective custody, but that seemed rather dire and would take too much time and paperwork to keep this covert. Keeping their client happy and healthy is usually the key in most mercenary work, right?

Kon Lesh
2014-11-29, 02:36 PM
A Harrow deck is composed of cards, each with an associated suit and alignment. Most people use it to play a simple gambling game called Towers, but a select few are able to conduct a powerful divination with a Harrow deck.

Most Harrow decks are not magical, but with repeated use they can slowly gain some sort of magical power. A Harrow deck used specifically for divination over several generations will likely have some magical properties. If you use detect magic, you will see a magical aura around the cards.

There is a moderate divination effect on the cards. Not only that but...something else, something more. But before you can look any longer both whatever that was and the divination effect disappear. Leaving only a normal set of Harrow cards.

Lamm changes henchman relatively fast. Whenever one messes up it is very likely that no one will ever see that person again. But you do remember one person, named Yargin Balkro. Yargin is the face of Lamm's operation. He is cruel and demanding with a fondness towards acid. He uses his knowledge of magic/alchemy, along with his magical wands and scrolls, to keep the children obedient. Unlike Lamm, the only time that he spends with the children is to yell or punish them, so it is very unlikely that he would remember you.

"I have no problem with giving you all a reading. The Harrow can not tell all but it can tell you much." Zellara stops shuffling the cards and takes the basket and places it on the floor.

Next she takes out nine cards and holds them out face down towards the group. "First is the 'Choosing.' This allows you to choose your own path. Please choose one."

Sitara pulls the Cricket. The Cricket. You will have a long journey infront of you, but speed and confidence will see you through it.

Aratis pulls the Peacock The Peacock. A major change is coming in your future. It will shake you to your core.

Vallis pulls the Demon's Lantern "The Demon's Lantern. You will face an impossible choice, one that you will not want to make. Follow the light and it will guide you to the correct path.

Iain pulls the Avalanche The Avalanche. An unthinkable disaster approaches you, but is not one you yet. It can still be averted with skill and foresight.

Zellara collects the cards once again and shuffles.She then places the cards face down in a 3x3 pattern. Now, for the spread. This will tell you not only your fate, but the fate of all around you.

She turns over the 3 left most cards. From top to bottom they show The Hidden Truth, The Midwife, and The Vision. First the past. The Hidden Truth is true to itself. What is obvious is not always the truth. Sometimes you must look past what is in front of you to see what you must. The Midwife is by itself. This Hidden Truth wasn't know until new information existed. Finally, The Vision is always true. It shows that through magic and skill you can see through any deception. The deception of Lamm, hiding under all of our noses. Now he is found, now he can be dealt with. Which brings us to the present.

Zellara turns over the 3 middle cards, showing the The Eclipse, The Betrayal, The Waxworks. Here, the Eclipse is misaligned with its position, but that is good, it shows all of your skills and abilities that you are able to confront what is coming. The Betrayal though is in the purely neutral position, neither aligned not misaligned. Only by working together can Lamm and the threats ahead of you be dealt with. Finally, the Waxworks is aligned with it's position. It shows the monotony of existence. If Lamm is not stopped now then his evil will only grow. He must be dealt with now.

To end the reading, Zellara turns over the final 3 cards. They show the Locksmith, the Winged Serpent, The Lost.
The future shows first the Locksmith, a card that can never be misaligned. It shows that the one with the keys to the future has appeared. The Winged Serpent is a wise best, one that waits to strike at the best possible moment One that has waited to strike is about to. And finally, the Lost is true to itself. A confusing and winding path is ahead. It will be a great challenge to navigate, but wisdom and finding the one who holds the keys will guide you through the trials."

With that she collects the cards for the table and begins to shuffle once again. "The Harrow can't tell all, but it can guide you. Trust in it's words and your journey will be much easier."

"Madam Zellara, what do you plan on doing while we are challenging Lamm? If the man escapes, he may come straight for you. I suggest finding a spot where it would be hard for Lamm to strike, such as by a guard post. Also we should set up a place for us to meet afterwards so we can inform you when the deed is done or if Lamm escapes and we need to warn you. Does that sound fair? What does everyone else think?"

Thank you for you concern. I do not have much hope other than this. The guards turn me away. My family is dead. Besides, the cards have faith in all of you. I know you will succeed. I will wait here for your return. If I am to face him again, then it will be here.

oyzar
2014-11-29, 03:59 PM
Aratis follows the cards with interest during the reading. "Change might not be bad, after all, what I am doing now is quite different from what I have done in the past, but I am a bit worried about the part about shaking me to my core. What could it mean? I will try to be ready for it. As for the rest of it, the part about the past and the present are similar to what we already know. We will deal with Gaedren Lamm together! The future is what is most interesting, what is this about a key? Are you and your deck of cards the key to this, or does it refer to something else? I am guessing that even if they are your words, you can't be entirely sure about the meaning behind them?" He shakes his head about his conclusion.

Aratis stands up and moves over to Sitara and holds out a hand to help her up out of her chair. "Let's be off. Daylight's burning! Sitara, if you'll let me?" He nods his head towards the bard with a small smile.

Kon Lesh
2014-11-29, 04:49 PM
Aratis follows the cards with interest during the reading. "Change might not be bad, after all, what I am doing now is quite different from what I have done in the past, but I am a bit worried about the part about shaking me to my core. What could it mean? I will try to be ready for it. As for the rest of it, the part about the past and the present are similar to what we already know. We will deal with Gaedren Lamm together! The future is what is most interesting, what is this about a key? Are you and your deck of cards the key to this, or does it refer to something else? I am guessing that even if they are your words, you can't be entirely sure about the meaning behind them?"

"I can not be completely sure about the meaning of the cards. I know what each card means, but it is up to whose life is being read to the exact meaning. They tell the future without actually saying what will happen. If you can find the truth in them, then you will understand them better than any other person could hope for. As for the key, I can tell that it isn't me, but I do know that who, or what, my Harrow is talking about will soon show their hand, even if not their face. Most importantly it will affect all of you. I'm sorry I can't say more."

Zellara smiles and waves as the group prepares to leave. "I wish all of you health and stength. May the cards guide you to a happy future."

You guys can still ask any question that you might want to. But I do want to ask, is the current plan to go and scout out the fishery or do you have a different plan. To remind you it is about 12:30 pm.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-29, 05:12 PM
As Zellara began the reading, Sitara watched with rapt attention. Pulling The Cricket, she sank deep into thought.

Speed and confidence... Easier said than done. The only time I really feel confident is when I'm dancing, and otherwise... A tear beaded at her eye. Mother... My heart still aches. Trying to steel herself, she wiped her eyes. No. I have the chance to avenge her, and three others on whom to rely. I can't let this go to waste. I won't. Although... this mention of a long journey. Does that mean something else is going to happen?

As Zellara continued with the spread, Sitara thought further. The past. Straightforward enough - Lamm was hiding, using smoke and mirrors to evade capture, until Zellara managed to track him down. The present. Also straightforward. We all have the skills and capacity to beat Lamm, but we have to work together to do so - and if we don't succeed, his wickedness will grow like a cancer. The future... that is what worries me. I pulled the cricket earlier, and if that suggests a long journey, then the Locksmith and Winged Serpent would suggest that there is one person in particular we need to find to see that journey to its end? But who? And what could that journey be?

Upon the completion of the reading, Sitara nodded in gratitude. "Thank you, Zellara. We'll try to make best use of those words."

"Let's be off. Daylight's burning! Sitara, if you'll let me?"
Sitara sat slightly taken aback at Aratis' offer. Only barely into adulthood, the young woman was still sorting out a lot of things, the trauma of the loss of her mother having stunted her emotional growth. Unfortunately, this meant that she had often been at something of a loss with how to deal with the attentions of others, including the men whose hearts she enchanted through her performance. As she looked over at him, however, a thought emerged.

There's... something different about you.

Confidence will see you through.

A small smile crossed Sitara's face - a small one, but a genuine one. "You may." Once he had helped her up, she drew herself up, taking a deep breath. "Let's do this." Then, barring any further actions, Sitara strode out into the noon sun. The fishery north of Westpier 17 awaited.

"I wish all of you health and strength. May the cards guide you to a happy future."
​"And to you as well."

gmoyes
2014-11-29, 08:14 PM
Vallis kept a keen eye on Zellara's hallow reading. While probably not a completely reliable resource, it will be interesting to see what would come out. Every little thing could be useful. He sat back and analyzed the cards being show and tried to make some of his own sense out of them. He was guessing that cards like these could have multiple meanings.

The hunter had raised an eyebrow when the first card, drawn by Sitara, was The Cricket, his card. And watching to the end, it was the only card out of the four that had shown itself. Of course the odds of that happening weren't bad, but he wondered what it meant. If it wasn't for Aratis' fawning over her, it could have meant that there could be some sort of relationship between him and her in the future. But it was the first card drawn, maybe it was supposed to mean that he was first, that he should lead? Or maybe it wasn't connected to himself at all and it was only for Sitara. The card he himself drew was slightly more straight forward, though more ominous. The Demon's Lantern. There was going to be an impossible choice to make, but there would be a light to guide him to the right path. It seemed to be useful advice, though they would see just how well it would serve him. Lights could also be used to lead one stray, such as the Will of the Wisp.

The spread was interesting. The theme seemed to be that the past was hidden but true, the present was grim and they had to act now and the future would be a challenge unless they found the one with the keys. Somewhat uncertain, but there one thing that was sure. They had to go now in pursuit of Lamm. Rising from his chair, he gave a nod towards the fortuneteller and put his hand out to shake. "I must thank you for your hospitality and your information Madam Zellara. I'm sure we will put it to great use. I hope you keep yourself safe. When we come back to celebrate, the first round is on me." He grinned and looked at his new found companions. "I'm sure you guys will keep me to that. Anyways, we should go with haste to catch Lamm. May the gods keep you safe."

With that Vallis turned and walked out the door. He quickly walked up to Mahone and stoke his neck. As Sitara, Aratis and Iain filed out of the building, he began introductions. "Guys I would like you to meet my partner Mahone. Mahone, this is Sitara, Aratis and Iain. Come say hello." The large bay horse arched his head down to regard the trio and then turned to give the each a friendly nuzzle. The hunter grinned. "Don't worry, he's a gentle giant. I've raised him myself and I guess you could say he's my closest companion." With that done, he picked up his land and slinging it across his back, he swung himself into the saddle ready to head off towards the fishery.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-30, 09:05 AM
As Mahone arched down to give Sitara a nuzzle, she smiled and responded in kind with a gentle rub on the side of the neck. "It's very nice to meet you, Mahone. You're a very beautiful horse."

oyzar
2014-11-30, 10:32 AM
Aratis is elated at the positive response from Sitara. A small step, but an important one. She has accepted me helping her and as her companion. Of course I hope that in time she will come to accept even more. I wonder if she will be part of the change that will shake me to my core. No matter what happens in the future, I would want her to be part of it. I guess I would like her to be there for the change as well, even if she is the cause of it. He studies the young woman as she walks toward the sunlight. Someone that can rival the beauty of holy sunlight. Not something you see you again. before following her Aratis nods to their host. "Thank you for this opportunity, we will make the best of it." And with that he turns and hurries after the others.

Once outside he studies the horse carefully. "I've never been particularly good with animals." He warily reaches out a hand to follow Sitara's example.

Once they get moving Aratis says . "I am sure Lamm will have plenty of eyes and ears near him. Such has always been the case. We shouldn't spend too much time looking and loitering around the place, otherwise he'll have plenty of time to prepeare. Our best shot might be either a quick look around or to simply barge into the place. As for how to handle all the children, I said before that I was living proof of their hope. I was once like them, but managed to escape to a better life. If they aid us, they'll all have the same opportunity. From the time there I do remember one of the henchmen that fits the description Zellara gave. Yargin Balkro is the face of Lamm's operation. He is cruel and demanding with a fondness towards acid. He uses his knowledge of magic and alchemy to keep the children in line." After finishing with his words he looks to the others for opinions on how to proceed.

Kon Lesh
2014-11-30, 12:59 PM
Zellara stands next to the door as she watches you leave, not closing the door till you are already turning the corner. Your walk through the streets of Korvosa is without complication. Most people are already on their business for the day and many do not want to draw any unnecessary attention. You are able to get into Old Korvosa and find the fishery within half an hour. The reek of brine and the stink of week-dead fish hang thickly in the air here. The old double doors in the side of this weathered building are tightly closed, with a drooping signpost hanging above. The sign it once displayed is long gone, leaving behind only a single short length of rusted chain. On the side of the building is a fifteen-foot-wide loading dock abuts the side of the building here. A few carts sit nearby, partially loaded with large tar-caked barrels marked with a fish-shaped splotch of red paint on the side. Every so often a child wearing old breaches comes out with a bucket and dumps it into one of the barrels. Double doors to the immediate south of the loading dock’s ramp provide access to the building’s interior, while a rickety flight of stairs descends nearly to the river’s surface to the east, where a second door provides a secondary entrance. A decaying old ship, unfit for water travel, is tied up on the far side of the building. You can not see anyone else around the fishery.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/TiamatZ/CrimsonThrone4thEd/FisheryRoof.jpg

If you guys want to do something before you get her then go ahead. You will not find any of Lamm's henchman out in the streets. Also, I am unsure about what skills you guys want to make or if you want to be more direct or if you want to wait and see if someone shows up or if you want to wait for night time raid. It is up to you guys.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-11-30, 03:26 PM
Sitara struggled to keep from choking on the aroma of rotting fish as the party took in the sight of the ruined fishery. They watched for a little while, the only sign of activity being the coming and going of the ragged-looking children who Lamm kept under his thumb. A shiver went through her body - whether from disgust at their treatment, the smell of the fish, or from fear at what she was about to do, Sitara could not say.

"Well, it doesn't look like any of Lamm's guards are patrolling around the outside, at least. Although I guess that means no source of information. Sorry Aratis." She turned to the others, smiling awkwardly. "Unless anyone objects, I'd prefer to strike hard and fast before they realize we're here."

And before I think twice about all this.

"I say we sneak up to the front door, take a listen. Once we've got an idea of what's in there, on... someone's count of three, kick in that door and hit whoever's inside hard and fast."

In the event no-one objects, Sitara will take 10 on Stealth (for a grand total of 10) to sneak up to the door, where she will listen at it to try and hear what's inside (or, in the event there's a crack, try to peek inside.

...well, now that gmoyes has suggested an alternate stratagem, hopefully that utterly awful roll won't matter.

oyzar
2014-11-30, 06:51 PM
Aratis has felt this smell before. After all he has been in a similar position as the kids inside, though then at a different location. This smell brings back memories. Awful memories. I remember one time I was so hungry that I ate some fish that had stayed too long. I was sick for days afterwards. He shudders as he thinks back to the days of surviving under Lamm's harsh rule. Of course the memories of Gaedren can't help but bring him to the memory of him finding his faith and the subsequent beating. He shudders as he lightly touches one of the scars on his arm. "Wouldn't want to keep a lady waiting. Hard and fast I'll do for you." He nods to Sitara and puts up a grim smile as he draws his scimitar and moves closer to the door.

Taking 10 on stealth for 9

Nixed
2014-12-01, 11:21 AM
Iain didn't think of himself as a particularly superstitious person. He was a man of science. Yet he could not deny that Zellara's reading had worried him. Unthinkable disaster, and yet she has faith in us. Does that mean we win and then things go bad afterwords? These thoughts troubled him and he coasted through the next part of the day. Cursory goodbyes with Zellara, meeting Mahone and idle chat during the trip to the fishery Iain more or less responds with simple one word answers. As the smell of the docks hits him he shakes his head, trying to clear the thoughts of impending doom to get himself ready.

Not being one for tactics he listens to the others plans at first. He's ready to go along when a thought strikes him. "What's to stop him from slipping out the other door while we handle his thugs?" he asks in a whisper.

Take 10 stealth

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-01, 12:30 PM
"Nothing, really. But there are too few of us to flank him, and we don't know how many rooms are in there. If the thugs inside are concentrated in one particular spot, one of the split teams could easily be overwhelmed. Plus, my magic works best when we're all in a group. I mean, I guess I could try the magic storytelling really, really loudly, but I still don't feel too good about splitting up."

Nixed
2014-12-01, 02:46 PM
Nods, he'd assessed the same thing apparently. "Maybe kicking the door in and giving him warning should be our second option and we could see if we can get in quietly first..."

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-01, 10:42 PM
"How? As far as I can tell, those four doors are the only way in. I don't see any ladders to get up onto the roof or rafters, if this building even has any. And a building this small? Once we start taking down his thugs, Lamm's gonna hear us no matter what." Sitara shook her head. "Speed and the element of surprise is our biggest advantage here, I think. Unless..." She furrowed her brow. "The children. Does anyone have any idea what to do about them beyond 'hope for the best?'"

gmoyes
2014-12-02, 09:59 AM
Vallis raised an eyebrow at the others approaching the door and trying to listen through it. While a good idea, from the street it was obvious that they were doing something suspicious. Even their talking sounded suspicious. Still there are some good ideas in there. He had dismounted Mahone and was up close to the others and spoke his thoughts. "The children... Well they are the weakest link in this place's defences." He waved towards where the children were coming out with buckets of fish. "Maybe it would be a good idea to grab one of the children and get them to tell us about what happening. If they know we're here to get rid of Lamm and his thugs, I'm sure they would cooperate."

The hunter then gave a grin. There was a way to flush out their prey. "Also, if one of their slaves doesn't come back, then they will send someone out to find them. We ambush that guy so then there would be less thug to deal with. What do you think? Also, Mahone probably wouldn't that comfortable inside so he may be able to guard one of the doors. Also if anyone tries to flee, he's a 'convenient' get away horse. That is until he caves their skull in with his hooves." This was his element. Try to know your prey so you can take advantage of their weaknesses and work with whatever allies you have. They should be able to do this.

oyzar
2014-12-02, 12:23 PM
Aratis turns and sheepishly looks down at his drawn sword before his face turns serious. He then looks back up at Vallis and whispers back. "Grabbing a child might be a good idea, though there is also a high probability that they will scream out. If only we had some way to assure that we didn't fail or that they didn't scream out. We could knock them out, I know how to knock out without killing, but that is not very nice. If the child does scream out, we'll just have to be ready to storm the building." He studies the others closely for a moment. "No offense, but I think I'll have the best chance of grabbing onto one of the children, though it's certainly not my speciality. Anyway, we should stick close together in case they do notice us." Aratis starts moving around the building to get to the terrace where the children come out. As he does so he sheats his scimitar so he has both hands free to grab the next child that comes out.

gmoyes
2014-12-02, 03:31 PM
"Hold on!" Vallis hissed as the scarred man started heading towards the door. "When I said grab one of them I didn't mean it quite that literally. If you're going to attack and threaten them then you are no better than Lamm. There must be a more peaceful way, one that won't set off an alarm." He paused for a moment and then his eyes fell on Sitara. "Hey, do you think that you could talk one into leaving? I mean no offence, but you look like the least threatening of the four of us. It would be easier for you to approach them. And didn't you say something about you could use magic to charm someone? Do you think that would work here? You'd probably know the limits of your magic better than I do, but I think it is a better alternative than trying to wrestle one into an alley somewhere."

oyzar
2014-12-02, 04:33 PM
Aratis stops and turns towards the others with a frown. "It's for their own good. If we don't deal with Lamm, a lot of these children will suffer. It's not like grabbing them will hurt them. It's not like taking over their will by magic is less brutal than just restraining them, but if that is possible, I would agree to it as the safest way to make sure whoever it is doesn't come to harm, doesn't scream out and doesn't escape. So Sitara, can you do it?" He looks towards the bard.

Nixed
2014-12-02, 04:56 PM
As the others debate grabbing the kid, Iain does his best to keep his eyes and ears open so they don't get surprised in the process.

perception:[roll0]

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-02, 05:10 PM
Sitara sat for a moment, thinking Vallis and Aratis' proposition over. "There's no reason I shouldn't be able to do that. I can't say that I like the idea of dominating a child in that manner, but... Well, I suppose it's not like I'd be ordering them to do anything they don't really want to do. They undoubtedly want a way not to be under Lamm's thumb, and we need information and a way to minimize the chance they get hurt." She hung her head, rubbing her brow for a moment and took a deep breath. "I'll do it - but I'm going to try talking to them normally first."

Slowly, Sitara crept to the corner of the building near the set of double doors and waited for a child to emerge.

Sitara will Take 10 on Stealth (for a 10​) to move to the corner of the building, out of sight from someone peeking out the door. Once a child emerges, she'll say something akin to the following: "Psst! Little one! May I talk to you for a second?" while trying to look as demure and nonthreatening as possible. If the child looks like s/he's going to sound the alarm, she will cast Charm Person.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

oyzar
2014-12-02, 05:32 PM
"Fair enough, we'll do it your way then. Might be larger risk of them raising the alarm, but it certainly is kinder." He moves to stand close behind Sitara. He also draws up his Scimitar again, though keeping it between his body and the wall so it's not as easily spotted if someone were to pass by, just to stay ready. While they wait he studies the small woman in front of him and his mind can't help drift back to the tantalizing movements she did even as he tries to draw in every detail of her. He is even close to draw in her smell, and even that makes him feel good. He takes a deep breaths, as if to steady himself, but truthfully mostly just to have her smell douse away the stench of the rest of the place.

Kon Lesh
2014-12-02, 09:47 PM
Sitara and Aratis approach the door without complication. After a moment, the child returns outside with another bucket. He looks to be no more than 8 years old human. His clothes, a pair of breaches too small and a 'white' shirt 3 sizes too big are covered with holes and stains. His short brown hair is muffled and small scar runs across his arms. The child jumps at the sound of the soft voice. For a moment he looks at Sitara with confusion and then, with a quick look inside, moves towards her. He comes over next to the railing and squats. "The door...inside...is over there. I...I need to go back to work. You should talk...with the boss." He points sheepishly to the double doors in front of the building.

Even though the child has told you that he needs to get back to work, you do have his attention. If you want to continue to talk to the child make another diplomacy check. If you fail, I will assume that you use charm person, to get any answers that you want from him.

The railings are far enough appart for the child to fit through, or for one of you to use to get up there. It will cost you an additional 5 feet of movement to get up through the railing or using a DC 5 climb or acrobatics check (as a free part of your movement) will ignore the additional 5 ft of movement. It is too small for Mahone, but he can likely just break through the railing if he wants too.

When the child comes outside you hear a large amount of water moving, almost as if it is being dumped out. There are some muffled voices but the water drowns it out. You cannot hear or see anything else of importance. As of right now, you don't detect any danger.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-02, 10:15 PM
Delicately, Sitara reached out to the boy, laying her hand on his shoulder. "I promise I'll make this quick. See me and my friends? Lamm all hurt us once, too. We're here to make sure he won't hurt you, or anyone else, ever again. But we need your help. Can you tell the other children here that we're here to help all of you? And can you tell us real quick about what's inside here?"

Diplomacy (to try and convince the kid to talk without resorting to Charm Person): [roll0]

Aaand it's a natural one. Classic.

oyzar
2014-12-03, 03:46 PM
Seeing the child react badly to Sitara's words and then not change in manner after her magic goes off, Aratis jumps into action. He reaches one arm over and the other arm through the railing to restrain the boy before he can get away. Holding him against the fence. His arms are quite muscled, thicker than the boy's legs. He tries to smile, but combined with his concentration on the situation and his scars it comes off more as a snare. "You are staying here until we are done talking with you. It's for your own good. To save you and the other children we need to know what is going on here."

Grapple roll from OOC 13
If you need an intimitate for my words... [roll0] Uh yeah, no idea why I did +13, probably affected by my grapple result, should have only been +2...

Kon Lesh
2014-12-03, 04:54 PM
With a single word the child's whole body tenses and and he begins to shake. Knowing that fear has gripped the child, Sitara attempts to salvage the problem with a quick casting of charm person, but it is too late. The fear built into him for years overpowers the bard's magic. The child begins to back away, but is easily grabbed by Aratis. He tries to pull away, but Aratis's hold is too strong and he is able to pull the child down. His eyes are filled with fear, yet his body just surrenders to Aratis's violent actions.

When the child does speak, it is barely a whisper and heavily broken. "I...I...they will know I'm gone....Gnome....Orc....Dog....Acid....They'll be mad...Don't hurt ....hurt me. Please, no....We make slurry for food....Please don't.....Gruller is inside...with Bloo. Master in office. Giggles below with others.... Please don't hurt me." The child continues in his broken, yet quite voice. Only when you demand to know the location Lamm does the child tell you. "below house....His pet with him. Don't send me down there please."

oyzar
2014-12-03, 06:46 PM
"We won't hurt you. In fact we will make it so none of them will hurt you again." Aratis says with concern in his eyes. He knows all to well the feelings of the little boy. "How do we get down below the house? Is there some other way than through the building? If we could get at Lamm first, that could demoralize the others." His focus is on the little boy in his grip instead of looking at his surroundings or at his companions.

gmoyes
2014-12-03, 06:53 PM
Vallis held his breath as Sitara's words seemed to fail on the child and the boy was about to yell out. Thankfully, Aratis managed to grab a hold of him and prevent it. The hunter breathed out a sigh of relief. "That could have gotten disastrous," he muttered.

As the child spew forth barely coherent phrases, Vallis knelt down before him trying to appear less intimidating. "Easy there, we aren't your enemy. We're hoping to take down Lamm and free the rest of the children. What is your name?" He hoped to try to get to know the child more, as he isn't as skilled with dealing with people, rather than animals. Sitara would be better off trying to talk him down. He wondered if the boy's words pertained to the situation at hand or if he was trying to throw them off.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
And if needed, untrained diplomacy: [roll1]

He also needed to ask a more personal question. "Have you seen a girl by the name of Lesine around? She has dark hair and is a few years older than you. I need to find her. Please help us and we'll help you. You can trust me, I'm a member of the Sable Company. We won't let Lamm abuse you again." He hoped that his sister was unharmed. He also hoped that this boy wouldn't spoil things for them. Still, they haven't tripped an alarm yet so they still may still make a clean sweep of the place.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-03, 07:12 PM
Sitara did not stop Aratis from grabbing the child, but did glare at him. As disadvantageous as giving themselves away would have been, she could not, in good conscience, approve of scaring the living daylights out of a child who already suffered abuse at the hands of the one who had stolen her parent. "Aratis!" She hissed, displeasure evident in her tone.

Her glare softened some as Aratis semi-apologized, and as Vallis joined the group. It vanished completely as she turned back to the child and she spoke again. "The last thing any of us want is to send you back to Lamm or his pet. I'm sorry Aratis grabbed you, but we need your help. We're going to fix things here. I promise."

My original post was ninja'd by oyzar and gmoyes simultaneously. Redoing.

Diplomacy (to try and calm the lad): [roll0]

Nixed
2014-12-03, 08:02 PM
Looks nervously at the others as they stand in broad daylight outside of the building. Information was important, but at the same time so was not getting noticed while they stood there chatting. Objecting at this point only increases their chance to be noticed, so he keeps quiet; anxiously waiting for something to happen.

Kon Lesh
2014-12-03, 10:51 PM
The child continues to shake in the hands of Aratis, but he does not try to escape, partially out of fear of suddenly noticing everyone in the group and partially because of his 'respect' for strength. But it is surprising what a few kind words can do as Sitara calms the child down slightly. He responds in a whisper, much clearer from before,

"How do we get down below the house? Is there some other way than through the building? If we could get at Lamm first, that could demoralize the others."

"He is down below, down the hole. It is in the lower work...workfloor. You...you don't want to go there. B...but he also talks with the others, t....the bosses. Only we go down the hole, us lambs...bosses never go that way. I...don't know how they talk to him."

"What is your name?"

"Have you seen a girl by the name of Lesine around? She has dark hair and is a few years older than you. I need to find her. Please help us and we'll help you. You can trust me, I'm a member of the Sable Company. We won't let Lamm abuse you again."

"Luke. What is a Sable Company? Are you guards?" After a Quick explanation, Luke seems to understand the basics of the Sable Company. "I...I don't know Lesine. But I don't know many of the other lambs. Only Jasmine and...M...ax...." His voice seems to trail off slightly, he begins to sniffle slightly.

Her glare softened some as Aratis semi-apologized, and as Vallis joined the group. It vanished completely as she turned back to the child and she spoke again. "The last thing any of us want is to send you back to Lamm or his pet. I'm sorry Aratis grabbed you, but we need your help. We're going to fix things here. I promise." [/SPOILER]

He rubs his eyes and nods from Sitara's reassuring words. These past 12 seconds were a massively drain on the child, kind words and words of hope (no matter how rough) are helping him stay calm. "Than...thank you."

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-04, 05:57 PM
Leaning through the space in the railing, Sitara tapped Aratis on the arm, nonverbally urging him to relax his grip a bit. Placing her hands on Luke's shoulders, she drew him into a hug. Gently squeezing the child, she tried as best she could to block out the sights and sounds of the fishery with her embrace, the gentle smell of rose-scented soap wafting through the air. Releasing the hug, she then stood and unslung her bow from her back.

"By now, I'm certain they'll have realized he's taking longer than usual. If we send him back in there on his own, they're certain to think something's up. We know that Lamm has a pet monster of some sort with him, that going through here is the only way in and out, and that the children are likely down below as well. That will have to do, for if we are to keep the element of surprise, we must act now." She looked at Luke, her face kind but firm. "Stay behind us, and don't follow into the room until we tell you it's clear. You could get injured by an stray arrow or spell, and that's the last thing we want." She looked to the others. "It's now or never. Let's do this."

Sitara will move to the south double door. She will stand outside and ready an action to begin her Bardic Performance as soon as the door is kicked in.

oyzar
2014-12-04, 07:42 PM
Aratis lets go off the child so Sitara can hug the boy. He just held the boy for his own safety after all. He whispers. "Is that door closed?" And points towards the southern entrance. "Also, who are in the top floor of the building right now? We need to know what we are dealing with to free you all, but free you we will." Afterward he picks back up his dropped scimitar, quickly examines it to make sure it didn't get any damages and moves over to the southern door with Sitara "Kicking in a door is sure to cause a ruckus and blow our surprise. If it is not closed, we can just open it though." He whispers.

Lord Of Mantas
2014-12-05, 02:26 PM
Still mildy annoyed with Aratis, logical as his actions were, Sitara's face was more neutral than it had been earlier. However, there was no trace of negative emotion in her voice as she spoke, keeping things strictly business. "Hrm... Good point. If we kick open the door, the people downstairs are guaranteed to hear us. We could just open it manually, but opening it slowly enough not to make a ruckus would deprive us of the advantage of surprise - and it might very well be locked." She turned back toward the west side of the building. "Everyone, new plan. Aratis, see if you can get into cover just out of sight behind the doorframe there. The rest of us will try to sneak behind the cart. On your signal, we charge in."

Take 10 on Stealth for a 10 to sneak behind the cart. Sitara will ready an action to start a Bardic Performance (Oratory) when combat begins.

Nixed
2014-12-06, 11:58 AM
Nods in agreement, happy to have any plan at this point, and prepares to follow Sitara to the cart.

Take 10 stealth
prepare action bomb.

gmoyes
2014-12-07, 09:30 PM
"Right then, right behind you guys," the hunter said softly as he drew his bow and readied an arrow. He then looked to Luke and Mahone. "Don't worry Luke, Mahone will look after you. Won't you partner?"

Handle Animal for Mahone to guard Luke take 10 for 18
Stealth take 10 for 13
Perception take 10 for 16

oyzar
2014-12-08, 01:59 AM
Aratis is happy enough to go along with the plan of surprising the thugs by sneaking in through the open door. "We shouldn't let the thugs have too much time to wonder where Lukas went. Acting now is a great idea. Lukas, try to see if you can stay out of sight. Wouldn't want to have you harmed if one of the bandits come storming out. My sundisks will help us out. I can throw them at the enemy before they know we are here."

He draws a chakram and armed with the round disk-blade in one hand and his scimitar in the other he tries to aproach quietly. At once he sees the others are in position. He waves at the others and turns the corner to get into the building.

Sneak up like the others. Taking 10 on stealth for total of 9
Next action depends on what we see inside. Since surprise round is just a standard action he'll probably throw a chakram though.