PDA

View Full Version : On Orcs and Drow: Why Orcs Aren't (Yet) Playable

Easy_Lee
2014-11-24, 11:30 AM
I've seen a lot of discussion on orcs and drow. People wonder why we can play drow but not orcs, if both are assumed evil by FR lore. I hope to shed some light on that.

I have three main points: orcs are evil, half-orcs exist, and half-drow are extremely rare.

Orcs are Evil
Recent changes within FR lore have orcs reverting back to their primal, savage ways. Orcs are now assumed evil and chaotic, with goodly orcs being an extreme rarity. Salvatore is just one of the authors whose writing references this, in his case through character commentary and the antics of the Many Arrows kingdom.

If we assume orcs are almost 100% evil, it's easy to see why they wouldn't be playable. Campaigns full of good guys with one evil player trying to RP tend to turn out pretty bad. "It's what my character would do," said the creepy guy who just killed his party in their sleep and raped the female player. So players playing orcs is discouraged. But do we have an alternative?

Half-orcs exist

And they're all over the place. Players who want to be orcy and paint their mounts red can play half-orc.

5e suggests half-orcs are largely the product of rape. Some question the plausibility of that notion. For those who are skeptical, please consider this quote from Genghis Khan:

"The greatest joy for a man is to defeat his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all they possess, to see those they love in tears, to ride their horses, and to hold their wives and daughters in his arms."

It probably sounds familiar; Conan said pretty close to the same thing. It's a barbaric mentality. If we add to that orcs being numerous, fertile, very raidy, and very rapey...It's easy to see how things could get out of hand.

Further add to that half-orcs being generally ugly and uncharismatic. They would be rejected by society, but not killed outright since those societies (elves and humans, mostly) are overall goodly. That kind of person would likely seal out others like him/her. Thus: half-orc colonies making more half-orcs. So while descended from rape, not all half-orcs need be a direct product of it.

But wait, aren't drow evil too? They're probably even more rapey than the orcs, come to think of it. Where are all the half-drow?

Half-drow are Extremely Rare
...because drow tend to kill their impure children. It's all over the evil drow lore. Anyone who isn't drow is inferior, and probably isn't going to survive very long (or get the chance to mate) in drow society.

Drow are popular, in spite of that, so WoTC allows for the rare exception to the evil drow rule. It doesn't hurt that we have a lot more author support for goodly or neutral drow (Drizzt most notably) than goodly orcs. Good orcs just aren't a very popular thing to write about in the FR universe. Most D&D players can't even think of one orcish hero (though they exist).

Those are my thoughts on the subject. I hope that clears things up for a few people.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-24, 11:37 AM
5e actually explicitly moved away from the rapey nature of orcs from 3.5 - it states explicitly that half-orcs are typically the product of alliances between orc and human tribes. Of course, it would make complete sense that orcs act like that, but it was scrubbed in favor of not making sexual violence an official part of the lore.

Aside from this, FR is not everything - the PHB explicitly mentions other settings, even if it is the default. Orcs would probably make an okay player race in some settings (though a bit on the dumb/barbaric side for adventuring), and they were presumably excluded for the same reason many other races were excluded - they can't put in everything.

Z3ro
2014-11-24, 11:39 AM
Further add to that half-orcs being generally ugly and uncharismatic.

Nitpick: In 5E, half-orcs are no more ugly or uncharismatic than any other race.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-24, 11:40 AM
Nitpick: In 5E, half-orcs are no more ugly or uncharismatic than any other race.

They are most certainly more ugly than any other race.

They are only less charismatic than races which get a CHA bonus.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-24, 11:41 AM

Generally meaning overall across the editions =D. But true, in 5e they don't have to be uncharismatic. Ugliness isn't related to charisma (force of personality, influence), so I think that one's still a safe bet.

Z3ro
2014-11-24, 11:43 AM
They are most certainly more ugly than any other race.

They are only less charismatic than races which get a CHA bonus.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; numerically they're perfectly ordinary aesthetically.

ETA:

Generally meaning overall across the editions =D. But true, in 5e they don't have to be uncharismatic. Ugliness isn't related to charisma (force of personality, influence), so I think that one's still a safe bet.

My mistake, you're right they changed charisma specifically to force of personality. That means that they're exactly as attractive or ugly as the player wants them to be, the same as any other character.

Haruki-kun
2014-11-24, 01:33 PM
The Winged Mod: There is already a thread on this topic, closing this thread in favor of that thread.

Link for the interested. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385165-Why-are-drow-a-starting-player-race-but-orcs-not)