PDA

View Full Version : [EMPIRE][SECRET] The Concordat Peace Conference

SamBurke
2014-11-24, 02:47 PM
Vizini waits for the delegates to enter the conference room, which barely fits in the definition of a "room." It is 50 feet long and twenty wide, with more than enough tables and scribes and historians --and spaces for the personal servants of the various nations-- to task any experiment. The central table has 8 seats: Glazfell, Sycia, Tzalteclan, Planinfrag, Symopoleou, Guilder, Serendel and Raaneka. Further space is set aside for Crima, should they wish to attend.

"Hello! And welcome, friends... for that is indeed what I hope all of us are today, both as we enter and exit this room. We come together to discuss policies and treaties, and the breaking of them. Hopefully it will end with peace, and a better understanding for all of where we stand. Regardless, let us come, sit, and air our grievances."

He sits down, and servants draw out the seats for the others as they enter. "Who would claim first words?"

BladeofObliviom
2014-11-24, 05:29 PM
One of the earlier groups to enter is the Glazfelli delegation. Only two come, rather than the expected heralds and servants: King Ghalle Daan herself arrives to represent Glazfell, while Seneschal Thrale Hoarclaw is here to represent Sympolemou. The Kingdom of Stolok sent no representative, their domestic issues currently too important to spare competent diplomats for a foreign conference. High Priestess Marvella is also slated to arrive, though she does not do so in the same post.

"Greetings to those present. This meeting is convened to discuss recent issues between the Concordat of Frost and Flame and the Empire of Dawn, particularly with regards to the question of Guilder's recent actions, its autonomy, and its fitness to remain part of the Concordat. If there are other concerns to be addressed, please speak up now to have them added to the roster.", says Ghalle, her voice steady despite her advancing age. She's getting older, she knows, and it may be less than a decade before her image of youth fades away. It's almost funny how these things creep up on a person at the least convenient moments.

Hoarclaw is silent for the moment, merely turning his gaze across the assorted delegates. He sniffles a few times, rapping his thumbclaws together as he sizes up the rest of the assembly.

HalfTangible
2014-11-24, 05:46 PM
Marvella took her seat beside the ruler of Glazfell and tried not to think about how many lives were going to be affected by their decisions today. The young woman wore a simple blue dress, and a small bracelet set with a gem upon both wrists. She had considered placing something on her tail as well, but she couldn't think of anything that wouldn't look silly. The young woman looked around the table at the various rulers.

"Keep a level and clear head." Eirlys had told her. "Always be respectful, but firm. Ignore any jabs, you are strong, calm and unassailable. You are the High Priestess of Yphine, be like her in all you do. You are young still, but no longer a child. If they treat you like one, show them you are not through words deeds - do not tell them."

Marvella cleared her throat and spoke with a calm and level tone. "The Holy Kingdom of Sycia seeks to resolve this matter as peacefully and calmly as we can, and hope an amicable solution can be reached."

Snowfire
2014-11-24, 07:30 PM
Sucheta was the first person into the room barring Vizini - and even then it was something of a close run thing. Given the now verging on extensive relationships between her family and his, it was hardly surprising in some ways that she was...more casual with her (not quite officially) uncle. And given the time that Vizini had spent in Raaneka, there was a reasonable amount of leverage for her to 'get away' with it. Not that she needed leverage, Raaneki had always been this way with family.

She took her seat politely to the other side of the chair set for her liege, the image somewhat spoiled by the traditional Raaneki garb and the glass of Heartwine set near her hand. She did at least recognise that offering a glass of their own to the other invited parties would probably not be wise, but was well enough aware of the nature of other nations that she could accept that - to her - strangeness with a smile. A smile that blossomed widely at Marvella's words.

She didn't say anything; despite her decade-previous recognition as a Voice of the Empire, she preferred to leave these opening statements to her cousin. Yet she remembered them, and the smile upon her face was nothing but sincere as she nodded in recognition of the High Priestess's statement. Not, perhaps, an agreement, but certainly an acceptance. And there was little between the two in Raaneki culture.

Am I right in saying that Ghalle is related in some way to the overarching Raaneki royalty (all of them are current descended from Aditi)? I was told something along those lines when I was beginning to join the game, and I haven't been able to work out if it's actually the case. So asking you seemed like the thing to do.

BladeofObliviom
2014-11-25, 12:26 AM
Am I right in saying that Ghalle is related in some way to the overarching Raaneki royalty (all of them are current descended from Aditi)? I was told something along those lines when I was beginning to join the game, and I haven't been able to work out if it's actually the case. So asking you seemed like the thing to do.

Actually, looking it up now, the relation is a bit closer than I thought due to lack of familiarity with the crazy Jarrow and Raaneki family trees. Aditi is Ghalle's Great-Great-Grandmother through an unbroken matrilineage. However, Ghalle's descended from a different daughter of Aditi than Sucheta is. Assuming my genealogy studies haven't gotten too rusty, Sucheta is Ghalle's second cousin five times removed.

Also, Anguryn Jarrow is (was? don't know if still alive) Ghalle's Aunt, and was "attached" to Amber Adite, Sucheta's Grandmother. As can be surmised from the fact that both characters are female, they did not have children together. So that's mostly just a curiosity.

DoomHat
2014-11-25, 05:34 AM
Earlier
Before everyone had arrived, the Cree had filled the bulk of their delegation space with a slightly elevated dais. It had a railed banister and a smallish ornate gong.
Atop it stood the imposing figure of Ganbaatar, Heart of the New Crima Inquisition, in his dark robes and full face mask of office.

His voice carried like that of a stage actor, deep and smooth, loud without giving the impression of yelling. As the last delegates arrived, and before they could properly settle in, he tapped the gong, causing it to hum loudly but pleasantly.

“If I may have your attention please. As you are all aware, the Cree have spent a not inconsiderable amount of resources helping to insure this event could take place with in the maximum degree of comfort and safety possible.

As such, it is in our interest to ensure that these discussions remain orderly. With your collective permission, and in light of our neutrality by virtue of physical distance and lack of historical entanglement, we offer ourselves as mediators.

He paused a moment, allowing time for someone to object and everyone the opportunity to be seated.

(Assuming there were no serious objections) He tapped the gong again, then indicated Vizini with an open handed gesture, saying,
"The floor is first yielded to the host nation..."

If no one objects, it can just be assumed Gantaabar will run general robert’s rules of order style interruptions between posts. “The floor shall now be yielded to....” and so on.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-11-25, 07:36 AM
Girard has no objections to the Cree, as they file in, so long as they do not place any influence to either of the delagations. Perhaps they will do some good, as they had by assisting in the protection of the event.

He greeted each as they entered by standing out of respect. When all had entered, he once again sat, and nodded to Vizini to proceed.

After listening to the opening by Vizini, and King Ghalle's response, Girard spoke.

"I do not have any further topics to bring at this juncture," Girard stated, "however, in light of this being our first meeting in several decades, I motion for a review of the roster when your proposed topic is concluded, King Ghalle."

Best to cover all sides. There was much that Girard was unaware of the Concordat. All he knew at present was that the Concordat was unhappy at the limitations he had set forth on Guilder. And that worried him.

SamBurke
2014-11-25, 11:05 AM
(Assuming there were no serious objections) He tapped the gong again, then indicated Vizini with an open handed gesture, saying,
"The floor is first yielded to the host nation..."

If no one objects, it can just be assumed Gantaabar will run general robert’s rules of order style interruptions between posts. “The floor shall now be yielded to....” and so on.

I've intended to use a rough version of the Rules of Order, yes. So if you're willing to play moderator, then even better.

Vizini bows to Gantaabar. "Thank you dear friend. I shall be brief, as I believe that Ghalle has many more important words to say. However, I will say this, as a start, as the frame to the conversation: Guilder recognizes that is in violation of trade treaties, and, worse, sacred trust. In light of this, we are more than willing to suffer consequences such that the other members of the Concordat will place upon us. This is only right and just. So, let us take action to restore our trust, to rebuild what was broken! Let us again find peace in the East." he bows to the Concordat, and to the Empire of Dawn, then turns to Gantaabar.

"I yield the floor to King Ghalle."

TheDarkDM
2014-11-26, 04:47 PM
"A noble sentiment, nephew. Let us hope it bears fruit."

Senusret, new Teotlkan of Tzalteclan, swept into the room, the long train of his black robe billowing behind him from the speed of his passing. The crimson scales of his face were drawn into a smile, though the cold light in his golden eyes and the predatory sharpness of his teeth made the expression seem singularly sinister. Behind him flowed a line of adjuncts and priests, all shadowed by the inescapable eyes of Unmarked agents. Yet for all their ceremony, all eyes were drawn to the end of their column, where Nezetkhamun himself followed at a leisurely pace, eyes of golden fire sweeping over the assembled delegation. Though he had passed the mantle of Teotlkan, he remained Xiuhtlatec, eternal dragon and avatar of Tzalteclan. As Senusret took his seat at the table, Nezetkhamun came to stand alongside his son, inclining his head towards the King of Glazfell.

"Excuse our interruption, King Ghalle. Please, continue."

BladeofObliviom
2014-11-28, 03:44 AM
Sorry guys, I am utterly drained of writing inspiration right now and can't seem to muster up proper IC-ness. In a nutshell, here are Ghalle's basic points that I meant to have her get to. I'll try to write something up here properly if I'm feeling less crap later, but it's probably better if we keep things moving for now given the shortness of the remaining round.

Concordat Law states that technology is to be shared among the Concordat, without exception.
In particular, Glazfell assisted Guilder with its Arcangelo Project, sharing research from the Kaltesturm Armour design with the understanding that any useful results would be shared.
Guilder's entry into the Concordat without the presence of its Liege was allowed with the understanding that Lyradis would not interfere with Concordat responsibilities. The Emperor of Dawn at the time did not contradict this claim made by his vassal.
Concordat Law states that technologies invented within the Concordat cannot be willfully spread outside of the Concordat except by the ruler of the inventor's nation or with the permission of such.
Guilder has previously sent Concordat technologies to the rest of the Empire of Dawn without explicit permission, breaching Concordat Law.
Until the recent surge of activity within the Empire of Dawn and the disastrous events of the Caercian Coronation caused the world to take a closer look at Guilder's activities, these breaches were largely ignored or overlooked.
The Empire of Dawn has specifically ordered Guilder to withhold the fruits of the Arcangelo Project from the Concordat, despite both Concordat Law and basic reciprocity dictating that the technology should be shared.
The conflict here is obvious, and Guilder cannot uphold its duties as a Vassal of the Empire of Dawn and its duties as a member of the Concordat at the same time, at least as affairs stand.

Ghalle also sees a number of potential solutions of varying desirability, some simply included merely for completeness.

The Empire of Dawn and its remaining Vassals join the Concordat of Frost and Flame, taking the responsibilities of membership upon itself and effectively removing some conflict by changing the premises. This does not solve the immediate issue, but it could prevent further issues from arising in the future.
Guilder leaves the Concordat of Frost and Flame, and is thus relieved of all relevant benefits and stripped of all relevant duties.
Guilder leaves the Empire of Dawn, and is thus relieved of all relevant benefits and stripped of all relevant duties.
The Empire of Dawn retracts its order to withhold MECK technology from the Concordat, resolving the immediate issue but not dealing with the root problem.
Status Quo; likely result of continued schism is forceful expulsion of Guilder from the Concordat of Frost and Flame or Glazfell's resignation from Concordat depending on internal vote, possible war within the decade.

As for Girard's roster inquiry, the issue she raised is the only one on it. She'd planned to add anything more to the list, but nobody has chosen to bring anything up.

TheDarkDM
2014-11-28, 05:19 AM
Senusret rapped his knuckles against the table as Ghalle concluded her speech, a clear sign of approval from her southern ally. Then, steepling his clawed fingers, he swept his gaze over the assembled leaders.

"Friends, as is her character King Ghalle has cut directly to the issue at hand. When Guilder joined the Concordat, its obligations and the nature of our partnership was made clear to all, and met with no objection from Guilder or indeed Lyradis. Now clearly feelings can change, to deny that would be foolish, but to act on those feelings without even a modicum of communication? You can understand our doubts. And while Queen Sucheta's attempt to preserve the peace was admirable, for the only voice to be raised in Guilder's defense after the disaster in Palas Caercia to be Tzaltec? Well, let me simply say that the priorities of the Empire of Dawn seem more aligned with the desires of the Salterri than the well being of their own people. My nephew labored for years in penance for a crime he had no part in, the Caercian's prior conflict with Guilder apparently obviating the supernal corrupting influence of Ridovo and his Jaaku Na."

He paused, his gaze settling on Sucheta for a moment too long before spreading his hands wide.

"But that, as they say, was the past. And as the central continent seems set to spiral into a new era of chaos, it is important that we strengthen the ties that unite us rather than brood on our differences. As King Ghalle has said, the clearest path through this conflict would be for the Empire of Dawn to join the Concordat in the interests of a unified East. However, I imagine that the misgivings Emperor Girard expressed when my honored father first proposed the Concordat remain? If such is indeed the case, I think there may yet be a compromise to be reached in this tangle. The primary concern, of course, being two-fold: compensation for Glazfell's investment in the Arcangelo project and the resumption of free trade across our borders."

Senusret gestured to the gathered crowd behind him, and a number of Tzaltec scribes scurried to the assembled leaders, spreading before each a detailed map of the Known East.

"Of those, recompense for Glazfell seems the simplest. The Hegemony invested significant time and treasure into the realization of Doge Inigo's grand dream of a mechanized soldier, and if the Empire of Dawn wishes to withhold the fruits of that labor they must, perforce, present a suitable alternative. I cannot say what the Hegemony might desire, but we must at least agree that some repayment is due them, yes?"

Senusret then turned his attention to the map spread before him.

"Now, on the subject of trade, the influence of the Triumvirate disrupted a vital route by which Tzalteclan transported its chattels to Glazfell and the Kingdom of the Iron Doctrine. Once again, a shift in attitude driving policy without any communication with Guilder's supposed allies. When the Concordat was signed both Guilder and the wider Empire of Dawn was well aware of the nature of the merchandise that would be passing through their borders, and Tzalteclan must insist that some way be found to resume that trade."

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-11-29, 01:48 PM
Since Blade didn't really leave me much time to respond to him (all my time ready to do stuff was the beginning of the week), I'm waiting for Sam to respond formally, since its his decision in the factor of his continuation of EoD or Concordat, and then respond later on this evening.

SamBurke
2014-11-29, 04:36 PM
"Of those, recompense for Glazfell seems the simplest. The Hegemony invested significant time and treasure into the realization of Doge Inigo's grand dream of a mechanized soldier, and if the Empire of Dawn wishes to withhold the fruits of that labor they must, perforce, present a suitable alternative. I cannot say what the Hegemony might desire, but we must at least agree that some repayment is due them, yes?"

Senusret then turned his attention to the map spread before him.

"Now, on the subject of trade, the influence of the Triumvirate disrupted a vital route by which Tzalteclan transported its chattels to Glazfell and the Kingdom of the Iron Doctrine. Once again, a shift in attitude driving policy without any communication with Guilder's supposed allies. When the Concordat was signed both Guilder and the wider Empire of Dawn was well aware of the nature of the merchandise that would be passing through their borders, and Tzalteclan must insist that some way be found to resume that trade."

Vizini nods. "I understand that I must pay for my father's foolishness... However, I do not believe that MECKs are the answer. I, personally, will never field nor construct another Knight Frame unless my nation's existence depends upon it. I wish the same to others.

"I, in fact, will not trade or disseminate the technology at all. Not to the Empire of Dawn, not to Serendel my Liege, and not either to my good friends of the East." He bows to Senusret and King Ghalle.

"I would be more than willing to invest myself into your projects, to work with you on an equivalent repayment of your design--so long as it does not further harm my people.

"I'm certain that I can defer to my liege on the details of the matters, and so, I am certain equally that a solution can be reached.

"Senruset, to briefly answer your question: there is currently no blockade on your chattel traveling by sea, as I am unaware that Serendel has let down the Titan's chains. Thus, your question is answered rather simply: your trade, for all intents and purposes, has a method of continuing. It simply shall not do so upon the soil of my Expanse.

"Now, to the final point: We have talked of repayment for the work, and of trade prevention, both of which may be answered well enough. However, this does not answer my shipment of the Glazfell's designs, and Tzaltec's recipes. In answer to this, I must approach my task in great sorrow."

Vizini nods to the historians in the corner, and then shares a look with the various leaders of the Concordat. He lingers for a moment in a gaze at Marvella, but gives each of them a sober bow of respect, before turning back to the scribes. They approach and pass him one of four scrolls, and then retreat to their corner again.

"I had written this document, in the hope that it was never to be used. But now, in the year 475 after the Cataclysm, I tender Guilder's resignation from the Concordat of Frost and Flame." He hands the document to the scribe, and copies are passed around to the various nations.

Due to a series of differences,

in recognition of Guilder's inability to properly uphold the terms of the treaty,

as well as the friction between various polities and empires,

and the necessary split of loyalty,

balanced by the many projects and works undertaken as an alliance,

and the assistance provided by all members of the Concordat to each other on many occasions,

not to mention trade and interconnection of our nations

The Guilderene Expanses (Containing the Colonies of Guilder, Maos, Rannara, Sah'raa, Frontier, and the Clanships) hereby declare:

a peaceful secession from the Concordat of Frost and Flame,

based on their long history and mutual benefit,

in hope of a great future and continued alliance,

and existing in mutual peace.

Vizini waits for them to finish.

BladeofObliviom
2014-11-29, 08:22 PM
Vizini nods. "I understand that I must pay for my father's foolishness... However, I do not believe that MECKs are the answer. I, personally, will never field nor construct another Knight Frame unless my nation's existence depends upon it. I wish the same to others.

"I, in fact, will not trade or disseminate the technology at all. Not to the Empire of Dawn, not to Serendel my Liege, and not either to my good friends of the East." He bows to Senusret and King Ghalle.

"I would be more than willing to invest myself into your projects, to work with you on an equivalent repayment of your design--so long as it does not further harm my people.

"I'm certain that I can defer to my liege on the details of the matters, and so, I am certain equally that a solution can be reached.

"Senruset, to briefly answer your question: there is currently no blockade on your chattel traveling by sea, as I am unaware that Serendel has let down the Titan's chains. Thus, your question is answered rather simply: your trade, for all intents and purposes, has a method of continuing. It simply shall not do so upon the soil of my Expanse.

"Now, to the final point: We have talked of repayment for the work, and of trade prevention, both of which may be answered well enough. However, this does not answer my shipment of the Glazfell's designs, and Tzaltec's recipes. In answer to this, I must approach my task in great sorrow."

Vizini nods to the historians in the corner, and then shares a look with the various leaders of the Concordat. He lingers for a moment in a gaze at Marvella, but gives each of them a sober bow of respect, before turning back to the scribes. They approach and pass him one of four scrolls, and then retreat to their corner again.

"I had written this document, in the hope that it was never to be used. But now, in the year 475 after the Cataclysm, I tender Guilder's resignation from the Concordat of Frost and Flame." He hands the document to the scribe, and copies are passed around to the various nations.

Vizini waits for them to finish.

"So be it.", King Ghalle states, pressing the letter of resignation down into the table before drawing her arm back under the King's mantle. "The Crown of Glazfell recognizes Guilder's departure from the Concordat, and moves to amend the terms of the Concordat appropriately."

She looks at Vizini, then to Sucheta, then to Girard, then back to Vizini.

"With regard to the specific issue of the MECKs, there is nothing that you or anyone else can grant to us to negate the insult of being cheated out of the fruits of our labor. However, I do understand why the Kingdom of Serendel might wish to prevent the spread of such technology. I do not like it, but I do understand. So we of Glazfell shall accept any material reparations made with the intention of soothing the wounds between our peoples. If you seek suggestions, I might point out those other, non-MECK technologies that Guilder should have shared with the Concordat but has not, such as the Ashenian Steam Trains, and this 'Loader' technology, as the other fruit of the joint project."