PDA

View Full Version : Quintessential Blackguard

Shadowscale
2014-11-24, 04:12 PM
How would one go about building the quintessential black guard, also a fairly optimal one?

While taking all 10 levels of the class I was thinking first level rogue, 9 levels paladin and then the rest blackguard as to me a quintessential blackguard would have all the fallen paladin abilities and this would help with the hide requirement and sneak attack?\\Any handbook to building a blackguard what are good feats for it and intended for it? How would one stat one and all?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-24, 04:22 PM
First, do you mean a blackguard-type character, or a character who uses the Blackguard prestige class? Because the best blackguard is not a Blackguard, if that makes sense.

Non-Blackguard blackguard: Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 1/Bone Knight 10/Ordained Champion +4/Cleric +1

Blackguard blackguard, I'm not sure about. But Paladin of Tyranny 20 is a better blackguard than a Blackguard.

The Viscount
2014-11-25, 03:15 PM
As for building "best" blackguard it depends on what you want. If you wish something true to the class's flavor of a Paladin fallen, I like using Rogue 1/Paladin 6/Shadowbane Inquisitor 5/Blackguard 6/Other stuff 8 (Yes this is a modification of my Iron Chef build). As for most effective blackguard builds they usually involve things like Paladin of Tyranny 2/Hexblade 3/Blackguard 2/other stuff for triple cha to saves and other assorted evilness.

Urpriest
2014-11-25, 03:19 PM
As for building "best" blackguard it depends on what you want. If you wish something true to the class's flavor of a Paladin fallen, I like using Rogue 1/Paladin 6/Shadowbane Inquisitor 5/Blackguard 6/Other stuff 8 (Yes this is a modification of my Iron Chef build). As for most effective blackguard builds they usually involve things like Paladin of Tyranny 2/Hexblade 3/Blackguard 2/other stuff for triple cha to saves and other assorted evilness.

If you want to be "more Blackguard-ish" at the cost of being less effective, just take more levels of Shadowbane Inquisitor and Blackguard. You won't be able to take all of each, so you'll have to decide which capstone to skip.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 03:21 PM
Rogue 1/Paladin 6/Shadowbane Inquisitor 5/Blackguard 6/Other stuff 8

You can't trade in Paladin levels unless you originally had 11 or more of them.

Urpriest
2014-11-25, 03:26 PM
You can't trade in Paladin levels unless you originally had 11 or more of them.

You did, though. Paladin 6/Shadowbane Inquisitor 5 is I believe how that build looked before it traded in its Paladin levels. Remember, Shadowbane Inquisitor counts as Paladin for Blackguard's Fallen Paladin features.

The Viscount
2014-11-25, 03:55 PM
If you want to be "more Blackguard-ish" at the cost of being less effective, just take more levels of Shadowbane Inquisitor and Blackguard. You won't be able to take all of each, so you'll have to decide which capstone to skip.

Well the choice between +3d6 SA and Smite good 3/day, and +3d6 SA and Smite any 3/day, it's a pretty simple choice. It's a question of what you want more when deciding how many levels of each to take. Both get great features at 5, but neither has a clear advantage after that for most other levels. Personally, I'd take the casting from blackguard (which has a pretty rocking list) over the features from Shadowbane past 5 and the undead servant, though if you really focus on using the undead servant it miiight be worth it.

Using Shadowbane Inquisitor does open up some funkiness, though, since you will technically fail to qualify the instant you fall. The intent (as shown by Absolute Conviction) is obviously for you to keep features after falling and entering blackguard, but when you fall you lose dectect evil and turn undead.

On trading levels for blackguard Ur-Priest is, as always, right.

As for feats, divine feats as well as devotion feats are a good use of the rebuking you get from the class. The Improved Fiendish Servant feat is a great one, as it lets you choose some meatier animals that can be useful in combat like ape, black bear, and Large viper.

Troacctid
2014-11-25, 04:35 PM
Improved shmimproved. Draconomicon lets you take dragons as alternative fiendish servants and you don't even need a feat for it. Get yourself a wyvern, use it as a badass mount, and maybe even milk some poison from its stinger while you're at it.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 05:19 PM
You did, though. Paladin 6/Shadowbane Inquisitor 5 is I believe how that build looked before it traded in its Paladin levels. Remember, Shadowbane Inquisitor counts as Paladin for Blackguard's Fallen Paladin features.

Gah! I missed that. It's been a while since I last read through Complete Adventurer. As always, the unwritten rule holds true...

darksolitaire
2014-11-25, 07:03 PM
Being Rogue 1 /Blackguard 10 isn't at all bad at 11th level. After that, there's a nice class called Nar Demonbinder which gives some accelerated spellcasting progression.

Snowbluff
2014-11-25, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I think Antipaladin1/Blackguard10/NarDemonbinderX would be my bet. It's an all around solid build.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-25, 08:09 PM
Improved shmimproved. Draconomicon lets you take dragons as alternative fiendish servants and you don't even need a feat for it. Get yourself a wyvern, use it as a badass mount, and maybe even milk some poison from its stinger while you're at it.

Personally im all for an Abyssal Drake, get your Ringwraith on! On topic, while Blackguard isnt great, it IS full BaB and full Sneak Attack, so thats something, on top of that you get a pretty solid list that has splatbook support (gasp) as well as being flavorful. So warm up that evil cackle a polish your ironshod boots (and dont forget to feed your drake) and get ready to terrorize villages!

The Viscount
2014-11-26, 03:46 PM
On topic, while Blackguard isnt great, it IS full BaB and full Sneak Attack

Blackguard is not full sneak attack; it's 3/5ths, 4/5ths if you have 5 levels in paladin/shadowbane.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 03:49 PM
Blackguard is not full sneak attack; it's 3/5ths, 4/5ths if you have 5 levels in paladin/shadowbane.

I stand corrected, sorry been awhile since ive looked at it

Snowbluff
2014-11-26, 10:20 PM
Personally im all for an Abyssal Drake, get your Ringwraith on! On topic, while Blackguard isnt great, it IS full BaB and full Sneak Attack, so thats something, on top of that you get a pretty solid list that has splatbook support (gasp) as well as being flavorful. So warm up that evil cackle a polish your ironshod boots (and dont forget to feed your drake) and get ready to terrorize villages!

Can they get an abyssal drake?

I guess my suggested build would be Barbarian1(for pounce)/Paladin1(11 formerly)/Blackguard10.

Good ideas for feats: Divine MM: Persist (hard to get with limited feats), Ride-By Attack (with a flying mount, this is desired), and your typical Power Attack you need for BG, and Spirited Charge. Neraph Charge will let you Sneak Attack, and Craven will add your level to damage.

Then grab a lance, and a sword for a sidearm. Hop on your mount with your with your lance and Lance pounce. Add in Persisted Sadism (which is labeled as a Blackguard spell but not on the list... what?) for some more attack and the Ebils.

Troacctid
2014-11-26, 11:25 PM

I don't believe so. Draconomicon only lists dragonnel, wyvern, dragon turtle, and an assortment of young and juvenile chromatic dragons.

Snowbluff
2014-11-26, 11:30 PM
I don't believe so. Draconomicon only lists dragonnel, wyvern, dragon turtle, and an assortment of young and juvenile chromatic dragons.

Wyvern looks like the viable option. Most of those aren't even big enough to ride.

Remember never to ride anything that's not large, unless you are small.

Urpriest
2014-11-27, 09:14 AM
Wyvern looks like the viable option. Most of those aren't even big enough to ride.

Remember never to ride anything that's not large, unless you are small.

FTFY. Small is best for mounted characters.

Snowbluff
2014-11-27, 09:37 AM
FTFY. Small is best for mounted characters.

Yeah, but the QBG isn't a halfing like the Quintessential Paladin.

Urpriest
2014-11-27, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but the QBG isn't a halfing like the Quintessential Paladin.

Why not? If the Quintessential Paladin falls, shouldn't they become the Quintessential Blackguard? :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-11-27, 10:41 AM
Why not? If the Quintessential Paladin falls, shouldn't they become the Quintessential Blackguard? :smalltongue:

They can't. Frodo couldn't do it because of help from his friends, and them Gollum died so we can't have any evil halflings. :smalltongue:

Blackhawk748
2014-11-27, 10:47 AM

Upon further review you cant, i was thinking of Death Knight, where you can. And honestly that template and this class go together so well.