PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcerer/Wizard multiclass--viable?

asorel
2014-11-24, 04:22 PM
I've created a level 1 Sorcerer for an upcoming 5th edition campaign, and the back story I created means it would make sense for the character to have some levels in Wizard. I have a 19 CHA and a 16 INT, so it's not a huge penalty ability-wise. If I were to do this, I'm considering Sorcerer 14/Wizard 6. Is this, or any other combination, viable? Or am I just nerfing myself? Character sheet here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22Uj6wOMzAFNXk3WHZoR0R0S2M/view

MaxWilson
2014-11-24, 04:37 PM
There are some pros (free access to level 3 spells and below; you get wizard specialization features) and some cons (you never get Wish/Dominate Monster/Meteor Swarm/etc.).

asorel
2014-11-24, 04:42 PM
There are some pros (free access to level 3 spells and below; you get wizard specialization features) and some cons (you never get Wish/Dominate Monster/Meteor Swarm/etc.).

Full caster spell slots stack, so I still end up with the full number of spell slots, and still have access to 8th and 9th level spells. The real con is feats. I don't have access to Sorcerous Origin, Draconic Presence, or any of the feats Wizards get at 10th level and above.

Emongnome777
2014-11-24, 04:45 PM
Full caster spell slots stack, so I still end up with the full number of spell slots, and still have access to 8th and 9th level spells.

You get the slots so you can cast some spells at a higher level, but you don't get access to actual 8th and 9th level spells. You base your spells known on each class individually.

MaxWilson
2014-11-24, 04:48 PM
Full caster spell slots stack, so I still end up with the full number of spell slots, and still have access to 8th and 9th level spells. The real con is feats. I don't have access to Sorcerous Origin, Draconic Presence, or any of the feats Wizards get at 10th level and above.

I don't mean this unkindly, but you need to read the Multiclassing rules in the PHB. It works differently in 5E than how you are assuming.

Safety Sword
2014-11-24, 04:49 PM
You get the slots so you can cast some spells at a higher level, but you don't get access to actual 8th and 9th level spells. You base your spells known on each class individually.

Emongnome is correct. You are seriously under-powering yourself multiclassing this way. Higher spell levels are a big deal.

asorel
2014-11-24, 04:54 PM
Emongnome is correct. You are seriously under-powering yourself multiclassing this way. Higher spell levels are a big deal.

Upon reading the restrictions on the spells known of individual classes more closely, I see this is correct. I may be acquire the wizard variants of these higher-level spells by other means, as my character holds a good amount of clout at the university at which he works, but this is a decidedly situational solution.

saintstardust
2014-11-24, 05:05 PM
Sorcerer 3/Wizard 17 would still get you wish along with quicken and twinned spell.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-24, 05:07 PM
The only way I can see this being beneficial is if someone managed to combine evoker INT-to-damage with sorcerer CHA-to-damage. Even then, it's probably worse than pure sorcerer or warlock 3 (tome + rituals)/sorcerer X.

asorel
2014-11-24, 05:08 PM
Sorcerer 3/Wizard 17 would still get you wish along with quicken and twinned spell.

Tempting, but...dragon wings.

Safety Sword
2014-11-24, 05:09 PM

That's a lot different to the Sorcerer 14/Wizard 6 proposed...

MaxWilson
2014-11-24, 05:10 PM
Upon reading the restrictions on the spells known of individual classes more closely, I see this is correct. I may be acquire the wizard variants of these higher-level spells by other means, as my character holds a good amount of clout at the university at which he works, but this is a decidedly situational solution.

"Known" has a technical meaning in this context. You can't learn Wish because you're not a 17th level Wizard or a 17th level Sorcerer. Having contacts at the university doesn't help you unless your DM invokes Rule 0 (right to change the rules)--but you came here asking for advice on the drawbacks, and according to the rules that is the major drawback of splitting your classes that way.

XmonkTad
2014-11-24, 05:12 PM
All that said and done, there is still a bit of good synergy to be gained by mixing wizard and sorcerer. You only need a few levels of sorcerer in order to get metamagic, and subtle spell in particular works well with an enchanter or illusionist. Heighten spell can help that save or lose necromancy spell land.
Now, lots of this stuff you could do as a single classed sorcerer or wizard. But the wizard features are really nifty, whereas sorcerers tend to just get more sorcery points. A mix might be worth it, providing you don't overdip and lose your 9th levels.

asorel
2014-11-24, 05:42 PM
If I end up doing this at all, now that I'm better versed in multiclass rules, I don't think I'll take more than two or three levels of Wizard. The crux of the matter is whether or not Arcane Recovery and access to a wide selection of utility spells is worth the loss of Sorcerous Restoration. Taking 17 levels of Wizard doesn't seem to be problematic in terms of viability, but doesn't mesh well with the backstory I've written up.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-24, 07:14 PM
Rather than dip Wizard, maybe take the Ritual Caster feat? Get the ability to cast a lot of utility spells from the Wizard list (or any other), lose no progression in Sorcerer.

Your back story shifts a little, from being trained as a Wizard per se to having assisted a Wizard in ritual magic.

asorel
2014-11-24, 07:28 PM
Rather than dip Wizard, maybe take the Ritual Caster feat? Get the ability to cast a lot of utility spells from the Wizard list (or any other), lose no progression in Sorcerer.

Your back story shifts a little, from being trained as a Wizard per se to having assisted a Wizard in ritual magic.

It's an avenue that I haven't ruled out, and fits my full backstory as well, if not better, than the multiclass route. As I already have an idea as to when and whether or not I would take the feat, and it's a subjective which can't be discussed in the same way that multiclassing can, I didn't think it was worth mentioning in the OP.

Ghost Nappa
2014-11-25, 11:43 AM
It's an avenue that I haven't ruled out, and fits my full backstory as well, if not better, than the multiclass route. As I already have an idea as to when and whether or not I would take the feat, and it's a subjective which can't be discussed in the same way that multiclassing can, I didn't think it was worth mentioning in the OP.

I wouldn't multi-class. You want 17 levels in one of the classes to know 9th level spells...but then Wizard 18, Wizard 19 and Wizard 20 are all rather nice features to get, as are Sorcerer 18, and Sorcerer 19. You COULD drop Sorcerer 20 for Wizard 1 and go Sorcerer 19 / Wizard 1, but Wizard 1 at that point isn't that nice.

Sorcerer 20 with Ritual Caster (Wizard) is probably better.

vorpalaxe
2017-05-22, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't multi-class. You want 17 levels in one of the classes to know 9th level spells...but then Wizard 18, Wizard 19 and Wizard 20 are all rather nice features to get, as are Sorcerer 18, and Sorcerer 19. You COULD drop Sorcerer 20 for Wizard 1 and go Sorcerer 19 / Wizard 1, but Wizard 1 at that point isn't that nice.

Sorcerer 20 with Ritual Caster (Wizard) is probably better.

I would say sorc 19/wiz 1 is the best because you have access to the wizard spells. the level 20 for sorc is trash. half elf gives cute stats at lvl 20: str10 con14 dex20 int10 wis10 cha20

Contrast
2017-05-22, 04:28 AM
Also if you were going to multiclass you'd really want to do it at the end (i.e. take all the levels in sorc and then take the wizard levels) so your spell progression isn't delayed. Which doesn't make much sense if the point in including it is because you are a wizard in your backstory.

Another option for multiclassing (which honestly I would avoid if you can) is a 3 level dip in warlock, choose Pact of the Tome and ask your DM if you can fluff your 'patron' as being the wizard college. Still not great but at least you get eldritch blast out of it :smalltongue:

vexedart
2017-05-22, 04:56 AM
Yes, you are nerfing yourself, but not beyond the ability to play the game and enjoy it.
As others suggested, simply taking the ritual caster feat, or starting off lvl 1 wiz could alleviate a bit of the limitations in multiclass casting.

Is there a lvl 6 wizard feature you have your eye on?