PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help Planning a Party (3.5)

YoshiCline
2014-11-24, 04:29 PM
I have been DMing for the better part of a year now, dealing with all that it entails. Now one of my players would like to DM (as I would like to relax as we come to the end of this campaign) and has a short campaign planned. He is a big time minmaxer and he put me through the ropes showing what I should and shouldn't allow. So, he has given me free-reign to make the PCs for his campaign as a way to get even. Problem is, I'm fairly new to minmaxing and now dndtools.eu is down. So I'd like to get some help fleshing out ideas for a party of six with good synergy but capable of standing alone as well. This is 3.5, we start at level 1 but I would like to make plans out to level 10ish.
Here's what I've got so far -
Halfling Wizard planning to aim for daggerspell mage prc
Dwarf Cleric planning for a warpriest or possibly stormlord (lightning is great at killing those damned trees) prc
Tiefling Swashbuckler planning for duelist prc
Elf Ranger planning for arcane archer prc
Tibbit Rogue planning for assassin prc
and then I'm conflicted between a warforged warblade or a human druid (wild shape focused) but have no idea what prc's to go for

The idea being, when the team is willing to cooperate, the daggerspell mage (played by yours truly) would be standing on the shoulders of the warforged/back of the druid and jumping over opponents to allow for lots of flanking options and fun flavor while meanwhile the duelist and assassin are double teaming on whatever else, meanwhile the warpriest supplies heals and the arcane archer is ranged support. Then, when it all goes to **** and we start ganking each other, everyone should be able to hold their own in a fight.

Does this seem like a good mix? Are there any good builds based on these already? I know it's a lot, but even just recommending some different prcs would be highly appreciated.

Poranthi
2014-11-24, 10:32 PM
Personally I like the spellcarved soldier for warforged characters, the level or two dip into artificer can't hurt you, in fact it helps alot (self buffs/ heals ++++). A warforged warblade can't use the DR 2/- armor (counts as heavy armor; big minus). Want an idea FTW?

Warforged Fighter 5 , Artificer 2, Spellcarved Soldier 3

Make sure you look at the warforged substitution levels for both classes (Races of Eberron pg. 130)

d12 HP? = yes please
+3 inish / +3 saves vs. fear? = you betcha
bonus fighter OR warforged feat? = sure
+2 damage attached weapon? = armblade anyone?
+1 caster level for self buffs? = why not

just a sugestion from a crazy person :smallamused:

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-24, 10:50 PM
Have a read of the Dead for Nothing (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3502556) party on the Wizards Community boards. Lots of mini combos between each of the characters. As it stands your explanation always has you teaming up with one particular person. But what if you can't?

RoboEmperor
2014-11-25, 02:12 AM
deleted... didn't read the 1st post before posting again...

Feint's End
2014-11-25, 02:23 AM
So do you have other players too or are you literally telling them what to play?

YoshiCline
2014-11-25, 07:08 AM
Hmm... that seems like a good idea.

I'll check that out.

And yes, we have other players. All of whom prefer to play over building characters, so they made general requests on what they want for their characters and I'm doing my best to see it happen.

weckar
2014-11-25, 07:20 AM
I foresee a lot of "That's not how I was intending for you to play that character!" happening in your near future.

newb
2014-11-25, 05:26 PM
Ask to be able to gestalt. Then cleric/wizard, scout/ranger as base 2. Bard/fighter

weckar
2014-11-25, 05:37 PM
Ask to be able to gestalt. Then cleric/wizard, scout/ranger as base 2. Bard/fighter
What. A God, a Hippie and a Metalhead walk into a bar...

newb
2014-11-25, 08:39 PM
Hey he said min max.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-25, 09:15 PM
For the Tiefling go Daring Outlaw (Swashbuckler/Rogue) its better in virtually every way than Duelist. If your going to use Arcane Archer, please for the love of every god living or dead use the Pathfinder version. Its virtually identical (im pretty sure) except that it gives 7/10 casting. As for the Cleric id say go Stormlord over Warpriest as Warpriest loses a lot of casting and if your gonna be buff monkey you need those caster levels.

Petrocorus
2014-11-25, 09:50 PM
When you ask this kind of things, remember to state what are your limitations.
Is MoI / ToM allowed? Do you include stuffs from PF? What is your setting? Do you allow material from other setting?

Here's what I've got so far -
Halfling Wizard planning to aim for daggerspell mage prc
Dwarf Cleric planning for a warpriest or possibly stormlord (lightning is great at killing those damned trees) prc
Tiefling Swashbuckler planning for duelist prc

Swashbuckler is considered a bad class mechanically, and Duellist a terrible PrC.

Elf Ranger planning for arcane archer prc

Remember that Arcane Archer is only 2 levels long.
Not sure but you can qualify with Sword of the Arcane Order.

Tibbit Rogue planning for assassin prc
and then I'm conflicted between a warforged warblade or a human druid (wild shape focused) but have no idea what prc's to go for

Beside the cheesy Planar Shepherd, there are not so many PrC that are better than straight Druid. Lion of Talisid from BoED, maybe.

Does this seem like a good mix? Are there any good builds based on these already? I know it's a lot, but even just recommending some different prcs would be highly appreciated.

Remember the 5 basic roles IC: BSF, GC, BFC, Buff, Debuff. You don't forcibly need to fill all those role, but at least BSF, BFC, Buff.
The 5 basics roles OOC: Face, Trapfinder/ Sneak, Tracker, Healer, Utility Caster.

Remember also that a too big discrepancy in power level between the PC will lead to frustration and annoyance. Try to take this into account before having a Swashbuckler alongside a Druid, a Cleric and a Wizard.