PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Martial Adept Paladin Variant

Ryunosuke
2014-11-24, 05:47 PM
So I'm a little surprised that this doesn't exist already (that I could find unless I was looking in the wrong places) so I decided to make a little variant ruleset here based on the Crusaders Initiator rule set to allow a Paladin to ditch their ****ty spellcasting (and more often than not useless remove disease ability) for something a little more worthwhile in battle.

Paladin Variant: Martial Adept Paladin

Loses: Turn Undead, Spellcasting, Remove Disease

Gains: The Maneuver and Stances learned and readied progression of a Crusader, using the same method for determining Maneuvers granted and recovery; initiator level as class level. Maybe only learn from Devoted Spirit and White Raven however.

Pretty simple and to the point, but I figured restricting the Stone Dragon style out made up for the fact that Paladin's aren't losing so much to get this compared to a Crusader and what they get besides maneuvers.

Ryunosuke
2014-11-26, 11:19 PM
No comment? It's not too much extra for too little or anything?

nonsi
2014-11-27, 02:41 AM
No comment? It's not too much extra for too little or anything?

I'm no ToB fan, but...

1. 5.5 hours is really not that long to determine you're ignored.
2. Consider displaying your complete vision of the pally remake in a table (might help speed up feedbacks).
3. If you're losing Turn Undead and Spellcasting, why not just go straight Crusader?
4. You could modify the Crusader as follows:
- Replace Indomitable Soul with Divine Grace.
- Since Divine Grace > [Indomitable Soul + Zealous surge], replace Zealous surge with fear immunity (but no aura).
- Lose Smite for something better (1/day at levels 6 - 17 amounts to practically nothing). Consider moving Mettle to 6th level (your call what to put into 18th).

Ryunosuke
2014-11-27, 11:59 AM
-the first post was 3 days ago not 5.5 hours (you didn't check the dates)
-I don't want to make them a straight crusader for several reasons, including the aura power, divine grace, mount an dteh smite evil is actually fairly decent and the paladin gets it at a better use rate than Crusader

-this is a quick check in since holiday so if i don't get any replies after dinner tonight ill make up a modified table

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-27, 06:29 PM
3. If you're losing Turn Undead and Spellcasting, why not just go straight Crusader?
4. You could modify the Crusader as follows:
- Replace Indomitable Soul with Divine Grace.
- Since Divine Grace > [Indomitable Soul + Zealous surge], replace Zealous surge with fear immunity (but no aura).
- Lose Smite for something better (1/day at levels 6 - 17 amounts to practically nothing). Consider moving Mettle to 6th level (your call what to put into 18th).

Indeed. This feels like it should be a Crusader variant that grants Turn Undead, Divine Grace, and Special Mount.