PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Me Stat this Monster!

thefirecrack3r
2014-11-24, 06:07 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2d8i8u0.jpg]
So my players are going to be going toe to toe with this big MF'er soon. I decided to make a mini out of a old dinosaur toy, and filled him with arrows and spears, gouged out and eye, and covered him is scars to make him look special because I want him to BE special. I want to give him specialized feats that make him feel extra-bad*ss. I think I'll stick to modifying the already existing triceratops in the MM unless someone has something better. Player are a fairly poorly optimized level 6 party consisting of a rogue, a fighter4/barbarian2, a ranger, and 2 clerics. I don't want him to TPK but I find that unlikely anyway as they'll have horses (thus being able to split if things get nasty).
To give you the fluff the players have heard already, they've heard of some massive beast who has been ravaging villages and towns in the south (where things get semitropical/swampy) a keen alchemist noticed the creature's horns were able to destroy fortified walls and buildings with ease (I'm thinking of having his horns be some sort of organic adamantine which is what the alchemist suggested). The creature appears to have gone mad and is behaving in ways an animal would not normally, seeking out and destroying structures is not in most animals repertoire. The players plan to hunt down and track the beast, however, as the mini suggests they are not the first. Many great warriors have been slain attempting to do so. They came across tales of this beast while in a tavern a while back, now that they're a bit tougher and have some spare time, they want to go and seek this big guy out and put an end to his destructive path.
Some things I kind of want from y'all:
I don't need you guys to actually stat the big guy completely, just suggest to me ideas.
He needs to have some ways of really doing structural damage, there was some kind of stomping feat for Huge+ sized creature that let them damage buildings and knock people prone but I forgot the name.
Also I don't want him to getting murdered out instantly by the high damage output my players have (the fighter has a +1 shocking lance and is usually raging and bull-strengthed as well as spirited charge, ranger has a +1 flaming comp mighty (+2) shortbow as well as 3 attacks per round, rogue focused ranged and is pretty useless once combat begins, and my clerics are smart and both competent front men as well) They usually drop over 70 damage a round without the rogue getting her sneak attack.
I mainly want this guy to be big and scary, maybe kill a few horses or make them irrelevant, but not necessarily murder my party, they'll probably fight him in the abandoned ruins of a town he destroyed, giving him plenty of opportunities to knock buildings around and show off how scary he is. Now, how do I make him as scary as he should be?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-24, 09:40 PM
First read the Triceratops Shuffle from the Druid Handbook.

Template Fun
Monster of Legend
Legendary Animal
Warbeast
Beast of Xvim
Spirit of the Woods
Telthor
Monstrous Beast
Were-Triceratops Giant
Magebred
SpellWarped
Woodling