PDA

View Full Version : Player Help need help decidening on which to choose for my first class (druid or rogue)

kchil
2014-11-24, 06:29 PM
So my friends and i are starting in a day or two and for race i plan on being a half elf and my rolled stats are 8,10,14,14,14,18

The DM is planning on playing 5e rules and such..

originally i wanted to be druid but im not too happy with ranged combat. my other option is rogue.

any advice on which i should choose?
i like dual weapons and melee combat a little bit...Im not too crazy on changing into animals. Taking advantage of my surroundings sound cool too..

i just cannot choose

also any guides and such to help me learn more about the game would be very much appreciated. Sorry if i sound like a total moron.

McBars
2014-11-24, 06:33 PM
So my friends and i are starting in a day or two and for race i plan on being a half elf and my rolled stats are 8,10,14,14,14,18

The DM is planning on playing 5e rules and such..

originally i wanted to be druid but im not too happy with ranged combat. my other option is rogue.

any advice on which i should choose?
i like dual weapons and melee combat a little bit...Im not too crazy on changing into animals. Taking advantage of my surroundings sound cool too..

i just cannot choose

also any guides and such to help me learn more about the game would be very much appreciated. Sorry if i sound like a total moron.

Read both classes over, play which one sounds more fun to you.

There are almost no "wrong" choices in terms of classes in this edition especially compared to previous editions.

Have fun!

MaxWilson
2014-11-24, 06:42 PM
If you like melee combat and dual-wielding, you might consider a monk. With those stats you'd do pretty well. It depends though on whether you like zipping around in combat, being impossible to hit (assuming Mobile feat), or standing there with a battleaxe slugging someone between the eyes until he falls over.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-24, 06:43 PM
Druids are split. Moon druids are versatile and hard to kill, good at a wide variety of things depending on chosen form. Land druids are solid casters and very solid conjurers.

Rogues, all things considered, have some of the best melee dps available. A pure assassin is hard to beat for burst potential and sustained damage. A thief is very useful to have around if played intelligently and if the DM lets you UMD wands and such. Arcane tricksters are fun and consistent.

As above, pick what interests you.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-24, 07:04 PM
There are guides for all classes around here, use Google or the site built-in search engine.

As a half-elf you'll have a Charisma bonus; if you want to be able to hurt people at range, Warlock and Sorcerer are there for you. With that rolled 18 you can start with 20 Charisma, which is maximum you'll ever have. BRING THE BLAST.

Another high charisma class is Bard, which gives you full casting, some melee, and all the skills you'll ever need. A bard makes an excellent party face and "last guy to choose skills" party member - let everyone else choose what they want, as a half-elf bard you'll start with 2 for half elf, 3 for bard, and 2 from your background. Take College of Lore, add 3 more. BE THE SKILLMONKEY.

You might want to consider what the rest of the party is doing. I opine routinely that in 5e you want to optimize your party, not your character.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-24, 09:36 PM
Ok, so don't put that 18 in Cha if you go something like Warlock or Bard, you really don't need to hit 20 anytime soon and if you place a 14 in Cha you will start with a 16 Cha which is more than enough.

Half-Elf Criminal Rogue (Thief)

Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 15 (14+1)
Int: 8
Wis: 15 (14+1)
Cha: 16 (14+2)

This way you are good at melee or ranged depending on your choice...

When you get expertise... I suggest at least taking Acrobatics to defend against grappling and then either Perception or Deception depending on how you want to play your character... Perception just because it is crazy good skill.

Your attack roll at level 1 will be something like +6 to attack and +4 to damage... That's not to bad you know.

AC: studded leather = 12 + 4 dex = 16 (not bad)

And for some ranged options... Hit up Warlock for a couple levels (Tome is the best) in order to help out with your abilities. See in magical darkness will help your stabbity stabbity abilities.

RealCheese
2014-11-24, 11:27 PM
And for some ranged options... Hit up Warlock for a couple levels (Tome is the best) in order to help out with your abilities. See in magical darkness will help your stabbity stabbity abilities.
Why are people on this board so hell bent on multiclassing. You are telling a first time player to multiclass.

For OP: as people have said there is no wrong choice in this version. Talk to your party about what they are going to choose though and choose something that meshes well. You'll have fun whatever you do!

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-24, 11:35 PM
Why are people on this board so hell bent on multiclassing. You are telling a first time player to multiclass.

For OP: as people have said there is no wrong choice in this version. Talk to your party about what they are going to choose though and choose something that meshes well. You'll have fun whatever you do!

Because multiclassing isn't the pain it used to be unless you multiclassing caster/caster. I should have said Rogue (Thief) but even so, multiclassing isn't the pain it used to be.

Though I would prefer a feat type system but whatever.

Plus a two level dip in warlock makes this character pretty effective all around and gives him a lot of interesting, effective, and fun abilities.

Just because you are new doesn't mean you can't comprehend things like mukticlassings. Why are people so hell bent on assuming that?

The OP said that taking advantage of surroundings sounds cool... A Rogue/Warlock does that better than almost anyone.

RealCheese
2014-11-24, 11:54 PM
The OP said that taking advantage of surroundings sounds cool... A Rogue/Warlock does that better than almost anyone.

Is casting darkness that you can see in and so receiving advantage the same as taking advantage of your surroundings?

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-25, 12:16 AM
Is casting darkness that you can see in and so receiving advantage the same as taking advantage of your surroundings?

Yes, also there is so much more a Rogue/Warlock can get into.

Use EB to knock down stalagmites/stalactites from range and have it fall on the enemy (EB being better at it than a weapon due to damage type).

Using fast hands to manipulate objects (BA) while you use your action to blast (only need one hand) and deal more damage than hand cross bow.

Levitate eventually.

And... You know what, if all you are limited to is what you read on the forums then that isn't my problem.