PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for what to run a single 3rd level fighter through?

unseenmage
2014-11-24, 08:30 PM
Character is a fighter who acts like an overzealous paladin.
Game is 3rd level. Any gameworld will do.
Game is a one-shot set for Wed afternoon.

Am good with running an NPC or two but the impression is the player would rather play this singleton. Which I'm also good for.

Cannot run either The Standing Stone nor The Voyage of the Golden Dragon as I'm playing in both of those here on the forums.

Am reading through The Sunless Citadel right now so if it is my best option then advice for running it is more than welcome.

Thanks Playground, I look forward to your input.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-24, 08:37 PM
First, give him a pile of consumable items. Potions, one-off non-spell-trigger/completion items that let him survive on his own. A few potions of healing, maybe a couple items that summon monsters when they're used, that sort of thing. It's very difficult for an entire party to survive a published adventure without caster support, let alone one character (and a non-skillmonkey at that).

Blackhawk748
2014-11-24, 08:47 PM
First, give him a pile of consumable items. Potions, one-off non-spell-trigger/completion items that let him survive on his own. A few potions of healing, maybe a couple items that summon monsters when they're used, that sort of thing. It's very difficult for an entire party to survive a published adventure without caster support, let alone one character (and a non-skillmonkey at that).

I second this, though Sunless Citadel requires less of that than most. As for changes, make the Goblins NOT act like a bunch of morons for starters. Seriously, they sell and apple once a year, but when someone comes into the ruins they try to stab them, even if they just want to talk? Talk about dumb. Though the fact that you basically have an overzealous paladin he may not care.

Honestly the mod needs primarily Fluff tweaks as mechanically its kinda fun. One of the mechanical tweaks i recommend is not having the goblin guards not go into a room if they succeed the Listen check. IIRC they have a 50/50 chance of going in because "the noise is normal". As someone once pointed out, "apparently the sound of goblins being gutted is normal around here....". Thats pretty much the biggest thing i can think of, other than opening Diplomacy if the party is willing.

unseenmage
2014-11-25, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the advice all.
I'm working on an NPC to go with him.
This pic was the inspiration (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/20/7c/0e/207c0e8cfec47bb73453a5cb1330e858.jpg) and I have the Advanced (8HD) Warbeast (MM2) Dire Ape worked up and I know the NPC is going to be a Magic-Blooded Spark (D306) Human who wields the pictured spear. She'll also need max Handle Animal. She has the nonElite Array and NPC wealth as well.

Anyone have advice as to what class she should be?
Shouldn't overpower the fighter but also should be effective enough to not die right out the gate leaving the fighter to deal with the Ape.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 10:23 AM
Maybe a Wilderness Rogue who uses a reach weapon for easy flanking? Could help cover the skills side of thing.

Also, giving the PCs an 8-HD dire ape in Sunless Citadel would be... interesting.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-25, 06:24 PM
Maybe a Wilderness Rogue who uses a reach weapon for easy flanking? Could help cover the skills side of thing.

Also, giving the PCs an 8-HD dire ape in Sunless Citadel would be... interestinghilarious.

Fixed that for you. Im gonna second Rogue as i believe there are several doors that need picking and Spot is not a Fighter skill.