PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Bonus Domains

Xcalber
2014-11-24, 10:07 PM
I'm starting a new campaign and I'm having difficulties choosing my two domains as cleric. Assuming any domains are available to me, what do you think the best domains are both in terms of spell selections and domain powers? Thanks!

Venger
2014-11-24, 10:14 PM
this question is heavily context-dependent.

what kind of build are you doing? what're you focusing on with your character? what kind of special powers do you want? is there a prc that you're speccing for? etc.

clerics have a lot of variance in how they're played, so we need more info before we can give useful advice.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-24, 10:16 PM
If you're going DMM, the best pair is Planning (free Extend Spell) and Undeath (free Extra Turning); between the two, you can start DMMing from level 1 if you're human. Even Bane and Bless can be worth persisting, especially at such a low level.

eggynack
2014-11-24, 10:19 PM
Depends a whole bunch on what you want to do. Domains are one of the biggest customizing factors for cleric builds. So, y'know, what kinda stuff do you want to do? As some arbitrary suggestions though, the spell domain is one of the best out there for spell adding, mostly because (greater) anyspell is just that good, planning+undeath is a classic combo if you're going for DMM persist shenanigans, deathbound is great on any kind of necromancy focused cleric, and so on. Whatever else you do though, I would strongly advise going cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) for the knowledge domain. You can use it normally, to expand your spell/skill list, or you can make it into knowledge devotion, for a more combat focused build.

Venger
2014-11-24, 10:25 PM
Depends a whole bunch on what you want to do. Domains are one of the biggest customizing factors for cleric builds. So, y'know, what kinda stuff do you want to do? As some arbitrary suggestions though, the spell domain is one of the best out there for spell adding, mostly because (greater) anyspell is just that good, planning+undeath is a classic combo if you're going for DMM persist shenanigans, deathbound is great on any kind of necromancy focused cleric, and so on. Whatever else you do though, I would strongly advise going cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) for the knowledge domain. You can use it normally, to expand your spell/skill list, or you can make it into knowledge devotion, for a more combat focused build.

or take heretic of the faith and switch it out for another domain. lotta options

Troacctid
2014-11-24, 10:30 PM
The Pride domain has a pretty sweet granted ability.

Venger
2014-11-24, 10:50 PM
The Pride domain has a pretty sweet granted ability.

it sure does.

honestly, you ought to check out the seven deadly sins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375768-Two-best-of-the-Deadly-Seven) domains. this thread talks about them some, and I posted an analysis of them all there too if you like the spells.

Xcalber
2014-11-24, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry I guess I should have been more specific. I'm planning to be more of an offensive melee cleric. I do plan to take advantage of the Divine Metamagic feat as well. However, since this campaign is likely to go into epic levels I was debating whether it was worth choosing the planning and undeath domains just for feats since I could get them through leveling. Compared to the planning domain spell list, I feel that the time domain is much stronger, although admittedly with a weaker domain power. I'm just curious on everyone else's thoughts on it.