PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed One-handed swordsman build?

Yael
2014-11-24, 10:29 PM
So, for 3.X, I already did something similar, but with a same concept; which ideas are "okay" for a one-handed swordsman? It is not about optimization, but for flavor. No PF, though. 3rd party for 3.X is allowed (unless it was intended for PF). This includes Dragon Magazine, and 3rd party sources like KoK, DL, LotFR, etc.

The campaign is based in the Dune movie, and every race starts with 2 Power Points by free (the Wild Talent feat). So I have two free power points. Tome of Battle was my first option, but... I use them too much, while I know it is better, I want to test something different, but ideas welcome. I want to be fighting one-handed, with a martial or an exotic weapon, this is kinda the only thing to consider, and I won't be using a shield nor armor.

Any idea?

gc25774
2014-11-24, 11:25 PM
Well, you could just play a fighter who wised up after losing his arm. Since he fights as such a disadvantage
he thinks dirty to even the odds. Using poisons and cheating sound ecstatic to this character. Other then that, I can't really think of much more.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-24, 11:32 PM
Well, there's Swashbuckler, but I can't quite convince myself that INT to damage is worth three levels. There's the Einhander feat, but it's pretty unimpressive.

You could always go Duskblade, and channel damage spells through a sword.

WhamBamSam
2014-11-24, 11:45 PM
Is Hidden Talent allowed as an alternative to Wild Talent? That'd allow you to use Psionic Minor Creation to make Black Lotus Extract on the cheap, which is a huge boon if you intend to go poisoner.

The Insightful Strike line is generally a good way to go for weapons with lower damage. Also, Snowflake Wardance is good for the one handed weapon fighting style. Maybe a Bardblade? Use Undersong to replace your concentration checks with perform checks, then dance around stabbing people for respectable damage output while cracking puns about being "armed and dangerous."

Alternately, Paimon works well with rapiers and his backstory involves having had his limbs chopped off. You could go Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal (Paimon) seeing the Dancer as a sort of kindred spirit.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-25, 12:18 AM
2nd for Paimon.

You could even have the character have both arms but choose not to use one in reverence for paimon who was de-limbed before he died.

This leads nicely into KotSS for Paimon.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-25, 12:37 AM
Pick EWP in bastard sword/dragonsplit/elven thinblade (refluff if necesary) and get at least one level in exotic weapon master for the uncanny blow stunt, which gives you 2:1 PA while holding a one-handed weapon in one hand (excuse the redundancy). That should alleviate your damage problems freeing the rest of your build to pick other intersting/fun stuff.

Fuzzy McCoy
2014-11-25, 01:56 AM
Here's a decent build: Feat Rogue 4/Warblade 2/Dervish 10/Thief-Acrobat 4

1. Combat Expertise, Dodge
2. Weapon Finesse
3. Mobility
4. Weapon Focus (slashing weapon)
6. Deadly Defense
9. Einhander
12. Open
15. Combat Reflexes
18. Robliars Gambit

With punishing stance active, it's possible to fight defensively and get -4 to attack, 7 to AC, and 2d6 extra damage. A sword of graceful strikes - from the arms and equipment guide - adds dex to damage. This gets you a highly mobile swordsperson that's skillful to boot.

Gwendol
2014-11-25, 02:56 AM
So, for 3.X, I already did something similar, but with a same concept; which ideas are "okay" for a one-handed swordsman? It is not about optimization, but for flavor. No PF, though. 3rd party for 3.X is allowed (unless it was intended for PF). This includes Dragon Magazine, and 3rd party sources like KoK, DL, LotFR, etc.

The campaign is based in the Dune movie, and every race starts with 2 Power Points by free (the Wild Talent feat). So I have two free power points. Tome of Battle was my first option, but... I use them too much, while I know it is better, I want to test something different, but ideas welcome. I want to be fighting one-handed, with a martial or an exotic weapon, this is kinda the only thing to consider, and I won't be using a shield nor armor.

Any idea?

Exotic weapon master doesn't really work since wielding the weapon in two hands is required for uncanny blow.

Maybe something like a rogue 3/swashbuckler 3/Duelist X (X being as low as possible, but high enough for you to get your full INT to AC)/Whatever (likely a martial adept class) making use of Daring Outlaw and Craven.

Or go bard using Snowflake Wardance and pump your IC.

Gwendol
2014-11-25, 03:01 AM
Pick EWP in bastard sword/dragonsplit/elven thinblade (refluff if necesary) and get at least one level in exotic weapon master for the uncanny blow stunt, which gives you 2:1 PA while holding a one-handed weapon in one hand (excuse the redundancy). That should alleviate your damage problems freeing the rest of your build to pick other intersting/fun stuff.

Where do you see that? The description of the ability says otherwise:
Uncanny Blow: When wielding a one-handed exotic
melee weapon in two hands,

It would be great if one could get that kind of return on PA with one-handed weapons!

Marlowe
2014-11-25, 03:07 AM
I've got a one-handed rapier-using Warblade who's doing OK. As in he's fine but you can't help but wonder how much more effective he'd be with two hands.:smallredface: Works by taking any strike and maneuver that gives you bonus damage; and especially by maxing out concentration skill and using Insightful Strike as much as possible.

Yael
2014-11-25, 03:13 AM
Well, you could just play a fighter who wised up after losing his arm. Since he fights as such a disadvantage
he thinks dirty to even the odds. Using poisons and cheating sound ecstatic to this character. Other then that, I can't really think of much more.

Good party D: But the literally one-handed swordsman concept really catched my eye.

Well, there's Swashbuckler, but I can't quite convince myself that INT to damage is worth three levels. There's the Einhander feat, but it's pretty unimpressive.

You could always go Duskblade, and channel damage spells through a sword.

Thought of going DB, I just don't like its list.

Is Hidden Talent allowed as an alternative to Wild Talent? That'd allow you to use Psionic Minor Creation to make Black Lotus Extract on the cheap, which is a huge boon if you intend to go poisoner.

The Insightful Strike line is generally a good way to go for weapons with lower damage. Also, Snowflake Wardance is good for the one handed weapon fighting style. Maybe a Bardblade? Use Undersong to replace your concentration checks with perform checks, then dance around stabbing people for respectable damage output while cracking puns about being "armed and dangerous."

Alternately, Paimon works well with rapiers and his backstory involves having had his limbs chopped off. You could go Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal (Paimon) seeing the Dancer as a sort of kindred spirit.

Nope to the Talent switches, if I want Hidden Talent, I must take the feat. Also, forgot to mention:
Good party D: What is Paimon? I... don't like the bard class :/

Uncanny Blow goes only for one-handed weapons being held with two hands, if I remember correctly.

Malroth
2014-11-25, 03:31 AM
Bard with Snowflake Wardance and Dragonfire Inspiration, Season in words of creation and song of the heart to taste.

DrKerosene
2014-11-25, 03:38 AM
I don't know what level you're expecting, but I would at least like to suggest using the Omnislash in some way.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=q9ht56a0jf9q9o1q7gpb6dieu7&topic=11530.msg195510#msg195510

Or maybe an Arcane-Order Mystic-Ranger Swiftblade.

If all Dragon is allowed, I'm sure I've seen a build for a Duskblade/Paladin who stacks several spells on one melee strike.

Edit: Have you considered Two-Weapon-Fighting with Armor Spikes?

ILM
2014-11-25, 04:02 AM
I once made a duelist who fought with a rapier one-handed and unarmored, but I was only trying to jack up AC as high as I could (I know, I know, AC is a poor defense mechanic, but a few tweaks would give her miss chance on top of that - her will save is abysmal though). It went Kalashtar Swashbuckler 3 / Rogue 1 / (Carmendine) Monk 2 (Cobra Strike variant) / Fighter 2 / Warblade 1 / Duelist 10 / Warblade +1.

Relevant feats (2 flaws, some retraining used): Improved Combat Expertise, Carmendine Monk, Deadly Defense, Dancing with Shadows, Einhander, Robilar's Gambit, Stormguard Warrior, Craven, Telling Blow.

She got 2x Int to AC, something like +15 to AC when fighting on the defensive, Improved Combat Expertise if needed, and basically all the AC boosters I could stack. I got up to 88 AC, with another +24 available from Improved Combat Expertise, Defending weapon and a couple other minor things.

Also, the combo of Dancing with Shadows, Improved Combat Expertise and Stormguard Warrior means you can spend a round making touch attacks with all your defenses up, and then hit hard on the next round with an attack that's virtually guaranteed to hit and a large damage bonus (though I made that work better with a warblade abusing Diamond Nightmare Blade). Similarly, Robilar's Gambit with Stormguard Warrior lets you provoke a bunch of AoOs, then refrain from taking them to get significant bonuses on the next round.

Probably not practical in a real game since opponents can't be expected to stay politely next to you for 2 rounds (and with the kind of will save she had, it's not like she was likely to survive the 2 rounds anyway at that optimization level), but fun for a showcase.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-25, 10:30 AM
What is Paimon?

Paimon is a vestige, that a Binder from Tome of Magic can bind, with either a 4 level dip, or a 3 level dip and a feat. Gives you all sorts of dervish-y, swashbuckler-y benefits.

WhamBamSam
2014-11-25, 10:49 AM
Nope to the Talent switches, if I want Hidden Talent, I must take the feat. Also, forgot to mention:
Good party D: What is Paimon? I... don't like the bard class :/Ah, I see. I misread the OP and thought you just wanted to take Wild Talent at 1st level to be psionic. Now I read it again, everyone is getting it as a bonus feat. That still might make Hidden Talent worth it if your DM allows the two alongside one another.

Poison isn't necessarily evil, it's just exalted characters that can't use it.

Paimon is a 2nd level vestige for the Binder class in Tome of Magic. So you can bind him at 3rd level, or as early as 1st if you have the Improved Binding feat. He was a famous swordsman and womanizer who ended up having first his sword hand chopped off, then all of his limbs when that didn't stop him from kicking ass and wooing women. He gives you the following...

The Dance of Death ability, which lets you move your speed making an attack against anyone you move past 1/5 rounds (though Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 lets you use it on consecutive rounds once per day)
Proficiency with Short Swords and Rapiers, and the benefit of Weapon Finesse while wielding them.
A +4 untyped bonus to Dex.
The ability to use the Tumble skill untrained and a +4 untyped bonus to Tumble and Perform (dance).
Uncanny Dodge
The benefit of Whirlwind Attack.

So yeah, he's sort of fun.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-25, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure you need at least 3 levels in Binder to bind 2nd level vestiges, cuz the Binder progression is all weird and wonky compared to the normal spellcasting ones.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 11:20 AM
KoK, DL, LotFR, etc.

I've never been good with acronyms. What are these?

Fuzzy McCoy
2014-11-25, 11:28 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar, Dragonlance, and Legend of the Five Rings. All are various campaign settings.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 11:30 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar, Dragonlance, and Legend of the Five Rings. All are various campaign settings.

See? Those are names I recognize. Acronyms are annoying (though I use them sometimes).

WhamBamSam
2014-11-25, 11:32 AM
Pretty sure you need at least 3 levels in Binder to bind 2nd level vestiges, cuz the Binder progression is all weird and wonky compared to the normal spellcasting ones.Nope. 2nd level vestiges come at EBL 3, so a 1st level Binder with Improved Binding can get them. The progression only starts to get wonky later on (there are 3 levels instead of 2 at the same maximum vestige level when that vestige level is 4th or 6th).

Gnome Alone
2014-11-25, 11:40 AM
Nope. 2nd level vestiges come at EBL 3, so a 1st level Binder with Improved Binding can get them. The progression only starts to get wonky later on (there are 3 levels instead of 2 at the same maximum vestige level when that vestige level is 4th or 6th).

Well, I just looked it up, and while you're right in that a 1st level Binder with Improved Binding can get 2nd level vestiges, it turns out that Paimon is a 3rd level one in the first place.

WhamBamSam
2014-11-25, 12:00 PM
Well, I just looked it up, and while you're right in that a 1st level Binder with Improved Binding can get 2nd level vestiges, it turns out that Paimon is a 3rd level one in the first place.Yeah, you're right. No idea why I was thinking that he was 2nd level.

So, yes. It takes at least 3 levels of Binder to get Paimon. My bad.

gorfnab
2014-11-25, 02:05 PM
Here is a Einhander build that I cam up with a while ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2.

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-25, 02:13 PM
Psion (Kineticist). Manifest control body on yourself, and then use solicit psicrystal to concentrate on it. Int to attack, damage, and AC.

Optimator
2014-11-25, 07:23 PM
Poison isn't necessarily evil, it's just exalted characters that can't use it.

Indeed. I believe most of the confusion stems from poison being against the Paladin's Code of Conduct because it's dishonorable.

I have a character with the same concept: Lyle Lanley--Swashbuckler 3 sneak-attack variant Thug Fighter 1 Warblade 2, with the idea of going Warblade the rest of the way. Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Combat Expertise (DM houseruled it functions as Improved Combat Expertise), Improved Feint, Staggering Strike. His schtick is that he's a duelist who fights defensively, feints, then uses standard action strikes to do relevant damage and stagger enemies with an extra-high DC. I think I would take Einhander at 9th, Power Attack at 12th, Combat Reflexes at 15th, and Robilar's Gambit at 18th.

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-25, 08:14 PM
Throwing in a suggestion for Iaijutsu Master. It's 3.0 Oriental Adventures (?) if that makes a difference.

Also, because it's mentioned so much in conjunction with Iaijutsu Focus, I will suggest Factotum.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-25, 09:50 PM
Im gonna second Paimon, as he is a LOT of fun as you basically can Dervish Dance 1/5 rounds. The best part is is that you can work this into most builds as its 3 levels and a feat, so you can happily go Swashbuckler/Rogue and Daring Outlaw your way to victory!!

Also i just realized that Andromalius qualifies you for Daring Outlaw, so you could go Binder 8/Swashbuckler 12. So you have full sneak attack, +18 BaB, and you can bind 2 Vestiges which will most likely be Paimon and Andromalius. Not overly optimized but definitely functional and wonderfully simple.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-25, 10:35 PM
Uncanny Blow goes only for one-handed weapons being held with two hands, if I remember correctly.

Where do you see that? The description of the ability says otherwise:

It would be great if one could get that kind of return on PA with one-handed weapons!

I think Darrin explains my point much better than I would be able to, so I'll limit myself to quote him

]Exotic Weapon Master (Complete Warrior). Under the Exotic Weapon Stunt Uncanny Blow, there are two sentences. The first says that when you wield a one-handed weapon with two hands, your Strength bonus on damage is treated as x2.0 instead of x1.5. The second sentence says, "If he has the Power Attack feat, he treats the weapon as two-handed for purposes of determining his bonus on damage rolls." Now, this sentence may be dependent on the first sentence, but if it was, then it would be completely redundant: one-handed weapons wielded with two hands are already treated as if they were two-handed weapons according to the text of Power Attack. If this is an independent sentence, then this is referring to wielding a one-handed weapon with one hand while using Power Attack, in which case you get the same x2.0 damage payout as a two-handed weapon. (Not all DMs will agree with this interpretation, so check with your DM before you devote any feats to get into this PrC.)

Here is the class feature, as Darrin mentions in his TWF Off-handbook, the abilities are separated.

Uncanny Blow: When wielding a one-handed exotic melee weapon in two hands, the character can focus the power of his attack so that he deals extra damage equal to his Strength bonus x2 instead of his Strength bonus x1-1/2. If he has the Power Attack feat, he treats the weapon as two-handed for the purposes of determining his bonus on damage rolls

Emphasis mine

Now you or your DM may rule differently; I don't see the problem with allowing that, since you are burning two feats and a class level to simply be on par with level 1 Two handed fighter, but then again that might be just me.

Yael
2014-11-26, 12:11 AM
{QUOTE}

{QUOTE}

I think Darrin explains my point much better than I would be able to, so I'll limit myself to quote him

{QUOTE}

Here is the class feature, as Darrin mentions in his TWF Off-handbook, the abilities are separated.

{QUOTE}

Emphasis mine

Now you or your DM may rule differently; I don't see the problem with allowing that, since you are burning two feats and a class level to simply be on par with level 1 Two handed fighter, but then again that might be just me.

Now I understand it, it seems pretty solid :O

Gwendol
2014-11-26, 02:13 AM

Emphasis mine

Thanks! That makes it a lot clearer, and I agree that the sentence in question puzzled me as well. It's a most reasonable interpretation.

Yael
2014-11-26, 04:17 AM
In the end, I made up my mind of going off with Iaijutsu Master, so my build would go as follows, please rate it honestly. For now, the character is level 3rd, beyond 3rd is the planned build.

It is a Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 8/Exotic Weapon Master 1/X 3

32 PB used.
STR: 14
DEX: 16
CON: 8
INT: 16
WIS: 8
CHA: 14

Increases at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th are as follows and in order:

DEX, CHA, CHA, DEX, ?Factotum 1
Factotum 2
Factotum 3
Factotum 4
Factotum 5
Factotum 6
Factotum 7
Factotum 8
Iaijutsu Master 1
Iaijutsu Master 2
Iaijutsu Master 3
Iaijutsu Master 4
Iaijutsu Master 5
Iaijutsu Master 6
Iaijutsu Master 7
Iaijutsu Master 8
Exotic Weapon Master 1
X 3[Lv1] Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passion)
[Human] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)*
[Spice Melange] Wild Talent
[Flaw] Improved Initiative
[Flaw] Quick Draw
[Lv3] Weapon Focus (Katana)
[Lv6] Flick of the Wrist
[Lv9] Einhander
[Iaijutsu Master] Weapon Finesse
[Lv12] Combat Reflexes
[Iaijutsu Master] Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
[Lv15] Robilar's Gambit
[Lv18] Power Attack

*Listed as Katana, but it is essencially Bastard Sword.

This game is aimed to reach 30th, so I am trying to move this as far as I can, but that's as far as I can think, the concept is in-place, and I thank you all for the ideas, any addition to the list?

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-26, 07:39 PM
Apart from knowing it exists, I know basically nothing about Iaijutsu Master. So take what I say next with that in mind.

Factotum is extremely happy if you bump INT as high as possible. Font of Inspiration is an excellent feat that will get you extra Inspiration Points for... well everything the Factotum can do.

Gnomish Quickrazor is an awesome weapon if you're focusing on Iaijutsu strikes as you can sheath it as a free action. You can use weapon familiarity to swap out a Gnome's original favoured weapon for another one (Complete Warrior lets you do this.)

If you focus on Iaijutsu, then you're going to want to focus on getting as many abilities to keep your opponents flat footed. Things like; Grease, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Acrobatic Backstab, Invisibility.

Also stuff to increase your damage output: Knowledge Devotion, Collector of Stories.
Whirling Blade allows you to multi target Iaijutsu strike (if you're undetected by everyone in the area).

Yael
2014-11-26, 10:15 PM
Thing is I have no space for 2-4 Font of Inspiration feats, every feat from 1st to 3rd is a prerequisite for Iaijutsu Master, and Faerie Mysteries Initiate is to reduce MAD.

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-26, 10:37 PM
Thing is I have no space for 2-4 Font of Inspiration feats, every feat from 1st to 3rd is a prerequisite for Iaijutsu Master, and Faerie Mysteries Initiate is to reduce MAD.

You can make an Iaijutsu focused character without Iaijutsu Master, which would free up those feats.
Else if you want to stay with the PrC you may be able to custom craft items with the prereq/Font of Inspiration feats on them.

Yael
2014-11-28, 03:08 AM
You can make an Iaijutsu focused character without Iaijutsu Master, which would free up those feats.
Else if you want to stay with the PrC you may be able to custom craft items with the prereq/Font of Inspiration feats on them.

And how a Iaijutsu character would go w/o Iaijutsu Master?

Malroth
2014-11-28, 07:29 AM
simply take the skill from an expert/factotum/Rokugan Samurai level and ignore the Iaijutsu master's abilty to add their Cha mod to each damage die since it requires a lot of feats and prestigue class levels.

Yael
2014-11-28, 01:57 PM
simply take the skill from an expert/factotum/Rokugan Samurai level and ignore the Iaijutsu master's abilty to add their Cha mod to each damage die since it requires a lot of feats and prestigue class levels.

So Xd6 damage + X times Cha mod isn't worth? How could I pump up my damage output then?

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-30, 08:04 PM
And how a Iaijutsu character would go w/o Iaijutsu Master?

Everything that I posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18456706&postcount=33) can easily be done with a Factotum.

Factotum has become the defacto class for those who want to do an Iaijutsu character.
They get the skill, Iaijutsu Focus, as a class skill (as they get all skills as class skills).
They're Int based with a tonne of skill points and all Dex/Str skills get a bonus from Int. Use Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories to pump your Iaijutsu strikes' damage.
They can use Cunning Insight (I think that's the one) to pump an Iaijutsu strike higher.
They have access to extra actions. (Level 8)
As you have Dex and Int to initiative (Int being your main stat and Dex being a very good second) you're mostly going first. If someone hasn't acted in combat they are flat footed.
You've then got Gnomish Quickrazors for free action sheathing (Gnomes can swap out a racial weapon proficiency to be able to use these).
Skill tricks like Acrobatic Backstab to make your opponents flat footed. Spells such as Invisibility to do the same.
If you dip Warblade you can get Punishing Stance (extra damage) and Sapphire Nightmare Blade (another source of flat footed).

As a Factotum you just have a tonne of utility and a million different options to do any problem you come up against.

Yael
2014-12-01, 06:52 PM
Well I can't go gnome, but Quick Draw can be used to do a Quick Sheathe maneuver in our games. So that solves the Gnome Quickrazor factor, as I wanted my character to wield a Katana in the first place (you know, proficiencies).
Is Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus) viable? Is Knowledge Devotion's bonus that good? The race I'm running, by the way, are psionically augmented humans that adquire the Wild Talent feat and a bonus skill point each level (4 at 1st), this is in addition to the human's bonus skill points, and bonus feat. Also, their favored classes are Erudite (Dragon Compendium), Factotum, and Beguiler.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-01, 08:33 PM
Well I can't go gnome, but Quick Draw can be used to do a Quick Sheathe maneuver in our games. So that solves the Gnome Quickrazor factor, as I wanted my character to wield a Katana in the first place (you know, proficiencies).
Is Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus) viable? Is Knowledge Devotion's bonus that good? The race I'm running, by the way, are psionically augmented humans that adquire the Wild Talent feat and a bonus skill point each level (4 at 1st), this is in addition to the human's bonus skill points, and bonus feat. Also, their favored classes are Erudite (Dragon Compendium), Factotum, and Beguiler.

Looks like you're bloody well set then!
I don't see why you couldn't get that skill focus. Also as it's a skill you could get a masterwork tool for it (a special scabbard that allows easier draw, or sharpens the blade when you draw/sheathe your weapon).
Knowledge Devotion is rather good with a Factotum as you can always Cunning Surge the bonus damage and you'll have at least one point in each Knowledge skill. I mean, it's not like you don't get enough skill points :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2014-12-01, 10:37 PM
The Storm Knight (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3429956) is an interesting build from the boards formerly known as 339. Totally works with a 1 hander only. Plus, you have the potential to be a freaking airship captain1

1 Assuming you are playing in a game with airships and the rules governing them are at least similar to the Eberron rules.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-01, 11:11 PM
To finish up the factotum build, what about three levels of Unarmed Swordsage at strategic points? I know you don't want ToB, but you wouldn't be taking it for the maneuvers. Instead, you want the Wisdom to AC (switched to Int with Kung Fu Genius, ideally), and the free Weapon Focus and IUAS. This frees up a feat, with which you take Two Weapon Fighting. You also drop Einhander for Snap Kick and Robilar's Gambit for Superior Unarmed Strike. Assuming your DM rules you can sheathe your katana as a free action with Quick Draw, you can use Iaijutsu Focus with your unarmed strike since you don't need to attack with the weapon you just drew to get the extra damage. So every full attack, standard attack, or AoO you get another set of IF dice.

Also, Emerald Razor is nice to supplement Flick of the Wrist. So are the Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw, and Acrobatic Backstab skill tricks.

Marlowe
2014-12-01, 11:17 PM
I just have to wonder about this:

32 PB used.
STR: 14
DEX: 16
CHA:14

DEX, CHA, CHA, DEX, ?

This game is aimed to reach 30th, so I am trying to move this as far as I can, but that's as far as I can think, the concept is in-place, and I thank you all for the ideas, any addition to the list?

Good luck getting to level 30 with a CON penalty.:smalleek:

atemu1234
2014-12-01, 11:20 PM

Meh, go CON 3 and be a Necropolitan ASAP.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-02, 12:14 AM

I think the appropriate response to this is... yolo?

That's what that LoreDrake said, didn't he?

Keld Denar
2014-12-02, 12:33 AM
YOLO is gramatically incorrect. The proper acronym should be YLOO. I got pedant in my swag.

Marlowe
2014-12-02, 12:52 AM
That's nice. I don't suppose it would trouble either of you gentlemen to speak English?:smallconfused:

Jeff the Green
2014-12-02, 12:59 AM

He has Faerie Mysteries Initiate. Fortitude saves might be a problem, though.

Marlowe
2014-12-02, 01:17 AM
Just looked that up. I no longer wonder why people ban Dragon magazine material.:smallbiggrin:

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-02, 02:04 AM
YOLO is gramatically incorrect. The proper acronym should be YLOO. I got pedant in my swag.

I'm not arguing with the LoreDrake. It's his motto after all.

That's nice. I don't suppose it would trouble either of you gentlemen to speak English?:smallconfused:

Never. But if you're actually wondering... check this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDKK95cpfM) out (I'm sorry in advance) Also NSFW.

Good thing I hit preview before posting this. Still leaving it in for amusement. Apparently hyperlink trumps white text.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-02, 06:33 AM
Just looked that up. I no longer wonder why people ban Dragon magazine material.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, it's a bit much for me, and I have a pretty high dairy tolerance. However, there is some good stuff in there, so it's worth taking stuff from Dragon on a case-by-case basis if you have the time and experience to review it.

atemu1234
2014-12-02, 04:28 PM
Yeah, it's a bit much for me, and I have a pretty high dairy tolerance. However, there is some good stuff in there, so it's worth taking stuff from Dragon on a case-by-case basis if you have the time and experience to review it.

Which issue is it from?

Marlowe
2014-12-02, 04:53 PM

Pretty much what I do. However it's not cheddar content that bothers me so much as that it's just plain bizarre. You get hp based on Intelligence because you had really great sex with a certain person a while ago.

Sex+Intelligence=Hit Points.

What.

If it worked on Charisma, or if actual Fey races could take, it would make slightly more sense.:smallconfused:

Jeff the Green
2014-12-02, 05:19 PM
Which issue is it from?

Pretty much what I do. However it's not cheddar content that bothers me so much as that it's just plain bizarre. You get hp based on Intelligence because you had really great sex with a certain person a while ago.

Sex+Intelligence=Hit Points.

What.

If it worked on Charisma, or if actual Fey races could take, it would make slightly more sense.:smallconfused:

Sensual ≠ sexual. You could give each other massages or eat chocolate-covered fruit just as well as having sex.

But yeah, it doesn't make any more sense to me.

Marlowe
2014-12-02, 05:32 PM
"Physical fitness comes from a healthy diet and regular exercise; not from a chocolate-covered make-out session with a pointy-eared tart of indeterminate gender! Now we see the absurdity inherent in the system!"

Jeff the Green
2014-12-02, 05:35 PM
"Physical fitness comes from a healthy diet and regular exercise; not from a chocolate-covered make-out session with a pointy-eared tart of indeterminate gender! Now we see the absurdity inherent in the system!"

...can I sig this? It literally (meaning literally literally, not figuratively literally) made me laugh out loud.

Marlowe
2014-12-02, 05:37 PM
:smallbiggrin: Sure. Glad you enjoyed.

atemu1234
2014-12-02, 09:11 PM
Sensual ≠ sexual. You could give each other massages or eat chocolate-covered fruit just as well as having sex.

Or non-chocolate covered. Just ask Vonnegut!

Yael
2014-12-03, 04:24 AM
So I worked up what we talked about a while ago, so I came up with this:

32 PB used.
STR: 13
DEX: 17
CHA: 12

DEX, DEX, DEX, CHA, CHA.Factotum 1
Factotum 2
Factotum 3
Factotum + ^20

* bold equals current level.[Lv1] Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passion)
[Flaw] Font of Inspiration
[Flaw] Quick Draw
[Lv3] Flick of the Wrist
[Lv6] Knowledge Devotion
[Lv9] Einhander
[Lv12] Font of Inspiration
[Lv15] Font of Inspiration
[Lv18] ?

How is this looking up so far?

AnonymousPepper
2014-12-03, 06:10 PM
...well, I sure hope you enjoy failing your FORT and WILL saves. :smalleek:

Marlowe
2014-12-03, 09:09 PM
That.

Normally I'd recommend a Warblade dip around 6th so you could pick up Moment of Perfect Mind and some useful strikes as well as a FORT boost. But they would mostly work around Concentration. Which works around Constitution. Which you've dumped.

I would try to get those Font of Inspiration feats far, far earlier. It's that rare thing, a feat that let you do better at everything. But you need to prioritize it to get a useful Inspiration pool at low-mid levels. You're taking it so late it's not even going to make much of difference.

Maybe I've missed something, but I really do not understand why you're bending yourself over (so to speak) to get your Dexterity as high as possible. You're not even using a Finesse weapon and Factotums (Factota? Factotes? Factoti?) get INT bonus to STR and DEX based skills so the major things it's really doing for you is boosting AC (can be done in other ways) and reflex saves (already strong).

Essentially, you're taking a versatile, SAD class, focussing everything around a single situational trick, and turning it MAD. And then paying through the nose in feats to offset the MADness. All in the interests of getting some extra damage a few times per combat. Which the Factotum has other ways of doing that don't require stretching itself so thin.

Also, how are you qualifying for Faerie Mysteries while being Human? I may have missed something, but the prereqs have "Elf" as every second word.:smallconfused:

Jeff the Green
2014-12-03, 09:11 PM
Aside from what's been said, I still don't understand why you're taking Einhander. i realize that you're fighting with the einhander style, but you don't take Toughness if you want to be tough.

(Factota? Factotes? Factoti?)

Factotums. It comes from facere (to do) and totum (everything), and since totum doesn't have a plural, you default to the English rules.

Also, how are you qualifying for Faerie Mysteries while being Human? I may have missed something, but the prereqs have "Elf" as every second word.:smallconfused:

I think a human can get it if they're from particular regions of Oerth (Greyhawk).

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-03, 09:28 PM
So I worked up what we talked about a while ago, so I came up with this:

32 PB used.
DEX: 17
CHA: 12

DEX, DEX, DEX, CHA, CHA.
At the moment, as you're going full Factotum, I'd recommend something more along the lines of 10, 14, 14, 18, 10, 10. Remember that INT is your main stat.

Factotum 1
Factotum 2
Factotum 3
Factotum + ^20*
bold equals current level.
I'd recommend a level or two in Warblade. An early level (level 2) will give you Punishing Stance for an extra d6 of damage; and Sapphire Nightmare Blade, enabling you to get an enemy flat footed (Wild Talent allows you to take 15 on the SNB check once an encounter).
Picking up some levels later allows you to get Death from Above, another way to make enemies flat footed; and White Raven Strike.
Moment of Perfect Mind to shore up your Will saves has been mentioned, but a second choice is to get Diamond Mind on a ring.

[Lv1] Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passion)
[Flaw] Quick Draw
[Lv3] Flick of the Wrist
[Lv6] Knowledge Devotion
[Lv9] Einhander
[Lv12] Font of Inspiration
[Lv15] Font of Inspiration
[Lv18] ?

How is this looking up so far?
Not really sold on Einhander. it is flavourful but you can just say you do it (and get no bonus from it).
Improved Initiative is good to grab.
Flick of the Wrist, while nice, can easily be replaced by the Warblade manoeuvres. This allows you to swap ability scores around too.

Remember skill tricks!

Edits: Formatting and adding stuff.

Marlowe
2014-12-03, 09:43 PM
Aside from what's been said, I still don't understand why you're taking Einhander. i realize that you're fighting with the einhander style, but you don't take Toughness if you want to be tough. Indeed. My own stab (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1022245) at a similar project has a strange selection of feats. The only excuse I can make is that they're all better than Einhander.

Factotums. It comes from facere (to do) and totum (everything), and since totum doesn't have a plural, you default to the English rules. I was just being silly. For two of my suggestions to work we'd have to mix Greek and Latin. Which as the tele-vision tells me can't be done.

I think a human can get it if they're from particular regions of Oerth (Greyhawk).

Specifically Verbobonc, apparently. The other option (Lendore Isles) apparently hasn't actually had a human population for a while.:smalleek:

EDIT: Hey, with Faerie mysteries, what happens if your "Ritual Partner" catches up with you and wants to perform a different ritual? Maybe he/she didn't dump Con and wants an actual bonus to something.

Let's see. Turn him/her down and give my entire background a frump to the face, or lose most of my hit points permanently. Decisions.:smallconfused:

Oh well. I'm sure no DM in the entire world would be so sly as to actually put a player in this situation.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-03, 09:55 PM
For two of my suggestions to work we'd have to mix Greek and Latin.

Not really. Were it Latin, 'factotum' would be either a neuter second declension noun like bellum (war), a masculine second declension noun like dominus (master) in the accusative case, or a third declension noun like princeps (chief) in the plural genitive case. The first would become factota, the second factotos (factoti in the nominative case), and would already be plural in the third, but put in the nominative plural would be factotes.

Given the inconsistency of words English pilfered borrowed from Latin, any of those is plausible.

Marlowe
2014-12-03, 10:08 PM
I now have a mental image of an army of factotums conquering nation after nation, not least because their enemies keep getting flat-footed while debating the grammar involved in the situation.

gooddragon1
2014-12-03, 10:09 PM
The raptoran can get a bonus multiplier to damage on a single attack of x2 with a piercing weapon if he makes a dive attack (distance traveled minimum 30 feet, and a decrease in elevation of at least 10 feet minimum). There are swords that deal piercing damage. If you use strike of perfect clarity (9th level maneuver), you can get 200 bonus damage added on to your attack (I think I remember reading the raptoran dive attack carefully to see if it was a charge and only seeing only the requirements for minimum travelling distances). I originally had the idea of a raptoran with black feathered wings in a grim reaper getup with a scythe. However, it can work for your idea too I think. There are also lesser maneuvers which can take the place of strike of perfect clarity if you want.

Dive attack/raptoran [savage species, I think]
Strike of perfect clarity [tome of battle]

EDIT: Have to post the grim reaper idea now to see how much the playground can do with it.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-04, 12:24 AM
If you use strike of perfect clarity (9th level maneuver)

Note that I think the only way you can get 9th level manoeuvres while still going to at least level 8 with Factotum is if you use Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster to get 1.5 IL per level.

Yael
2014-12-04, 06:32 AM
So, after reading everyone's suggestions, I came up to my senses about how to build this guy.

Firstly, I swapped out Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passions) for a decent Constitution Score, as a +1 HP/lv isn't worth a feat, especially because I realized (after you guys told me lol) that I forgot that I dumped the Iaijutsu Master PrC idea, and high Dexterity was an excuse because the Weapon Finesse that the class gives you. So my ability scores resulted as follows.

32 PB used.
DEX: 17 14
CON: 8 14
INT: 16 17
CHA: 12 10

DEX, DEX, DEX, CHA, CHA.

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT.

As for the build breakdown, in the end I will succumb to my favorite melee class, Warblade. I just love it, and I didn't wanted to use it because I tend to overuse it, but it just fits. I'll take a level of Warblade after level 4th, to get 2nd level maneuvers, including Moment of the Perfect Mind, I won't take Action Before Thought, but I think that Mind over Body fits... But I'll see later. Sapphire Nightmare Strike is a must-have, maybe Mountain Hammer or Disarming Strike (for that tasty Iron Heart Surge aka Sunkiller.) The build should follow the following path.

It would end up being a Factotum 18/Warblade 2 build, I think.

Factotum 1
Factotum 2
Factotum 3
Factotum 4
Warblade 1
Factotum 5-18
Warblade 2
* bold equals current level.

After that, I swapped out feats. Yes, I already mentioned about the FMI, so I changed it. Running suggestions that I read earlier, Font of Inspiration should be taken more, but I'll only add 3 into my build, sure, four adds +10 Inspiration, but a +6 for three is just fine IMHO.

[Lv1] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)*
[Human] Font of Inspiration
[Flaw] Quick Draw
[Lv3] Knowledge Devotion
[Lv3-Skill Trick] Collector of Stories
[Lv6] Font of Inspiration
[Lv9] Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
[Lv9-Skill Trick] Acrobatic Backstab
[Lv12] ?
[Lv15] ?
[Lv18] ?

How is it now?

As for skills, I'm maxing Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Iaijutsu Focus, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty), Knowledge (Religion), Tumble, and Use Magic Device, and by level 3rd I have 5 ranks in Bluff and Knowledge (Spacing Guild)**. The two remaining skill points were used for Collector of Stories.

**From the Dune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29) book series. Campaign-especific.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my character is going unarmored (maybe I told so earlier), it was part of the first concept, so that's one of the reasons why I wanted to keep Dex high.

Marlowe
2014-12-04, 06:14 PM
That looks much better. Although if you want to get the most out of MoPM and Sapphire Nightmare Blade you should probably have some ranks in Concentration.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-04, 09:52 PM
32 PB used.
DEX: 17 14
CON: 8 14
INT: 16 17
CHA: 12 10

DEX, DEX, DEX, CHA, CHA.

INT, INT, INT, INT, INT.

Looks good. 18 INT is preferred, but I can understand wanting to have a more rounded character :smalltongue:

Factotum 1
Factotum 2
Factotum 3
Factotum 4
Warblade 1
Factotum 5-18
Warblade 2
* bold equals current level.
As you'll be playing your character from the early stages I'd strongly recommend Warblade at level 2. You're kind of strapped for ways to get people flat footed at early levels, so you need all the help you can get. It'll make the next few levels MUCH easier.

[Lv1] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)*
[Human] Font of Inspiration
[Flaw] Quick Draw
[Lv3] Knowledge Devotion
[Lv3-Skill Trick] Collector of Stories
[Lv6] Font of Inspiration
[Lv9] Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
[Lv9-Skill Trick] Acrobatic Backstab
[Lv12] ?
[Lv15] ?
[Lv18] ?

Consider taking Darkstalker (can't believe I haven't mentioned it before). Being stealthy is a good way to get flat footed.
As for more Font's... try to run through a combat routine. See if you need the extra standard actions. Self combos like White Raven Strike then Cunning Surge into and Iaijutsu Stike rely on Inspiration Points. So you don't want to run out halfway through combat. That being said... they do refresh each encounter. So it's a bit of a balancing act.

As for skills, I'm maxing Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Iaijutsu Focus, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty), Knowledge (Religion), Tumble, and Use Magic Device, and by level 3rd I have 5 ranks in Bluff and Knowledge (Spacing Guild)**. The two remaining skill points were used for Collector of Stories.

**From the Dune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29) book series. Campaign-especific.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my character is going unarmored (maybe I told so earlier), it was part of the first concept, so that's one of the reasons why I wanted to keep Dex high.
If you take Death from Above you'll be wanting some points in Jump.
Note that you don't have to have your knowledge points maxed, but you do want at least one in each. Try to allocate one or two skill points each level to random skills and just leave them at one rank. Except Balance. Get 5 points in Balance and make use of Grease and/or marbles.
Another skill trick could be Hidden Blade (if you've a concealed weapon on you). Another way to get flat footed condition.

Yael
2014-12-06, 05:29 AM
About leaving only one rank... Because Inspiration are refreshed at each encounter, are they usable outside of combat? That would be very strong for maxed-out skills as an at-will +LV bonus in every skill check (once per skill, tho), isn't it?

Marlowe
2014-12-06, 07:31 PM
Cunning Knowledge only works once per day for each skill. That's the limiting factor.

Also, I've just realised I've been forgetting about that class feature entirely.:smalleek:

Yael
2014-12-06, 08:28 PM
Cunning Knowledge only works once per day for each skill. That's the limiting factor.

Also, I've just realised I've been forgetting about that class feature entirely.:smalleek:

It needs one Inspiration point to be used, IIRC, im AFB, but as Inspiration is gained at the beginning of each encounter... Are those clasd features usable outside of combat? Likewise with Opportunistic Piety, can you only heal yourself in-combat? That's... Ugly at the least...

Marlowe
2014-12-06, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't read it that way. By in large, anything a Factotum can do wih Inspiration out of combat (spellcasting, skill bonuses, healing) has an /day limitation, and the strict interpretation you're suggesting would lead to problems for everyone. From starting "combats" with inanimate objects to gain Inspiration, to drawing combats out to gain the most of it ("OK Grank, throttle that last one. Very slowly please. I need to heal up".) to long debates on what counts as "combat" ("That innkeeper refused me credit! He was rude! My feelings are hurt! I roll Initiative, gain Inspiration, and open with a witty reply!").

If you want to be technical, it doesn't say you lose Inspiration at the end of combat; just that you gain it when it starts.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-06, 11:44 PM
My prepared fix is to use the same rule as skill tricks: outside of combat, they refresh every minute.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-07, 07:21 PM
My prepared fix is to use the same rule as skill tricks: outside of combat, they refresh every minute.

Close to the actual rules. Inspiration is refreshed at the beginning and end of every encounter.
Outside of combat an encounter is anything from unlocking a door to meeting a king and devising siege tactics. Because it's so ridiculously broad, if your character has time to "catch his/her breath" it refreshes. They've decided that to catch your breath you need to just chill for a minute.

Yael
2014-12-08, 05:40 AM
Close to the actual rules. Inspiration is refreshed at the beginning and end of every encounter.
Outside of combat an encounter is anything from unlocking a door to meeting a king and devising siege tactics. Because it's so ridiculously broad, if your character has time to "catch his/her breath" it refreshes. They've decided that to catch your breath you need to just chill for a minute.

So, in the same manner, Maneuvers and Stances should be at-will abilities, like Shadow Blink and Shadow Jaunt? Or am I mistaken?

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-08, 09:53 PM
So, in the same manner, Maneuvers and Stances should be at-will abilities, like Shadow Blink and Shadow Jaunt? Or am I mistaken?

You still have to recover them after you use them. Unless there's a bit on ToB about recovering out of combat? I haven't really pored over that book, so recovery methods are pretty shaky ground for me.

As to my own feelings on the subject... why the flip not?
If your DM is worried about abuse, let him/her limit it to per day out of combat.

Yael
2014-12-08, 09:56 PM
You still have to recover them after you use them. Unless there's a bit on ToB about recovering out of combat? I haven't really pored over that book, so recovery methods are pretty shaky ground for me.

As to my own feelings on the subject... why the flip not?
If your DM is worried about abuse, let him/her limit it to per day out of combat.

I don't think there's any problem with the uses, but I was kinda confused if that was actually the way Inspiration works.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-09, 01:19 AM
I don't think there's any problem with the uses, but I was kinda confused if that was actually the way Inspiration works.

Inspiration doesn't require you to use any recovery method (apart from the act of recovering) to get it back. As far as I'm aware ToB classes require you to do something to recover manoeuvres, stances, and strikes. Whether that something is a negligible action or not I'm unsure of.