PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the most pets with share spell

kulosle
2014-11-25, 12:09 AM
I want all the pets! I want as many competent pets with as minimal investment. Share power/spell automatically makes it usefull with no effort because of polymorph. Im thinking cleric with prestigious palidan and ranger. Take sword of the arcane order and pick up a familiar. Maybe dip into a psion class and take the theurge prestige class so i can have a psicrystal. Any other useful pets?

Renen
2014-11-25, 12:13 AM
Can always make yourself a buncha animated from death bunnies, ridden by some small simularcrums and commanded by some dedicated wights.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 12:18 AM
Dragon Cohort? Then take Dragon Familiar and Dragon Steed so you can have three.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-25, 12:22 AM
Planar Bind as many "pets" as you want as a wizard.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 08:04 AM
Planar Bind as many "pets" as you want as a wizard.

Reminds me of a Malconvoker I once made with all the conjurer variants from Unearthed Arcana. Essentially translated down to (at level 20), "I summon a Demon who wrecks your face. Roll to see how painful your death is."

ranagrande
2014-11-25, 08:39 AM
I would go with something like a Lawful Good Female Half Moon-Elf Martial Rogue 2/Ranger 1/Fighter 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Samurai 1/Sorcerer 1/Necromancer 1/Aglarondan Griffin Rider 1/Ashworm Dragoon 1/Beast Heart Adept 1/Beastmaster 1/Beloved of Valerian 1/Knight of the Flying Hunt 1/Knight of the Iron Glacier 1/Knight of the Raven 1/Moonsea Sentinel 1/Skylord 1.

They're all fairly low level, but you get an animal companion, an ashworm, a dire hawk, a familiar, a flying mount, a griffin, a monstrous companion, a pegasus, a psicrystal, a raven harrier, a skeletal minion, a unicorn, and a war megaloceros.

WesleyVos
2014-11-25, 09:32 AM
Or just purchase what you need. See the Handle Animal Guide. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1060781)

kulosle
2014-11-25, 02:14 PM
How many of those pets can br good fighters, or easy to be made good fighter via share spell

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 02:24 PM
How many of those pets can br good fighters, or easy to be made good fighter via share spell

The ones that scale. Full-leveled animal companions and Dragon Steed special mounts are quite good.

kulosle
2014-11-25, 04:01 PM
In all honesty i shoukd just reword this to, how can i get the most pets with share spell/power.

Necroticplague
2014-11-25, 07:39 PM
All the Symbionts from Eberonn are aberrations with the [Symbiont] Subtype. Part of this subtype includes the Share Spell ability like that of a familiar. You can just plain buy these guys for money (most are in the 2 to 10k range, IIRC), and there's a ranger PRC that can lure some specific ones for 100 GP and an 8 hour ritual a pop (more levels in class let you lure better ones, obviously). Their stats are mediocre on their own, but that's nothing a nice helping of self-only buffs can't fix. Or for the less scrupulous, some attack-granting powers, like Cloud of Knives.

kulosle
2014-11-25, 10:16 PM
Yes, i was aware of those. Unfortunately we disallowed that prestige class because of some shenanigans a player did with it. Also how would sharing polymorph with your symbionts work? Do they really turn into the creature with me, even though they were a part of me? I might pick up some if i have money left over on my build.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 10:31 PM
All the Symbionts from Eberonn are aberrations with the [Symbiont] Subtype. Part of this subtype includes the Share Spell ability like that of a familiar. You can just plain buy these guys for money (most are in the 2 to 10k range, IIRC), and there's a ranger PRC that can lure some specific ones for 100 GP and an 8 hour ritual a pop (more levels in class let you lure better ones, obviously). Their stats are mediocre on their own, but that's nothing a nice helping of self-only buffs can't fix. Or for the less scrupulous, some attack-granting powers, like Cloud of Knives.

Where's the PrC from?

kulosle
2014-11-25, 10:47 PM
The class is called Merchant Prince and its from the Power of Faerun book.

I lied it's called Impure Prince and it's from Magic of Eberron.

Does anyone know where the silverwood arcanist is?

Uncle Pine
2014-11-28, 01:02 PM
Are Dragon Magazine and Dark Chaos Shuffle ok? Because if you play an elf Duskblade 20 with two flaws you could get 12 competent familiars (1 from Obtain Familiar and 11 from Extra Familiar, one feat is used to get Improved Familiar). And that's without even factoring Othyough Hole (with which you could have an arbitrarily high number of familiars) or going dip-crazy: I'm sure that things like Zhentarim Skymage could easily help the build.

Extra Familiar (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Extra_Familiar) is from Dragon #280, Embrace the Dark Chaos (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:YA0NEzH_gCAJ:dndtools.eu/spells/fiendish-codex-i-hordes-of-the-abyss--66/embrace-the-dark-chaos--1163/+&cd=1&hl=it&ct=clnk&gl=it) and Shun the Dark Chaos (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LADa-Dr_QWUJ:dndtools.eu/spells/fiendish-codex-i-hordes-of-the-abyss--66/shun-the-dark-chaos--1146/+&cd=2&hl=it&ct=clnk&gl=it) are from Fiendish Codex I.

EDIT: Silverwood arcanist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a).

Chronos
2014-11-28, 04:20 PM
If you can find a way to cast Shapechange on other creatures (if nothing else, a greater ring of spell storing, but there are other ways), then you can have any ally at all shapechange into a symbiont, share other spells with it, and then have it turn into whatever. You can even chain this: When one Shapechange is about to wear off, have the creature turn into a symbiont again and share another with it. If you can get the duration times your number of 9th spell slots up over 24 hours, then you can use your Ring of Spell Storing or whatever to increase your number of spell-sharing allies by one per day.

kulosle
2014-11-28, 05:48 PM
Chaos shuffle is not allowed.

Shapechange shenanigans doesnt come online till late. Id like it to be a more fluid build.

Chronos
2014-11-28, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I was just mentioning the Shapechange shenanigans for completeness. Short of that, it's just taking Obtain Familiar if needed and a bunch of copies of Extra Familiar, plus possibly Improved Familiar if you want them all to be a better creature. Chaos shuffling just means that you get even more extra familiars.

A.A.King
2014-11-28, 08:24 PM
A Fey Bard with Obtain Familiar has both an Animal Companion as if he was a Druid of his Bard level and a Familiar as if he was a Wizard/Sorcerer of his Caster Level. You can always add Beastmaster for more animal Companion though only your first Animal Companion will be combat worthy (though your familiar might be combat worthy if you also take Improved Familiar).

Jack_Simth
2014-11-28, 08:46 PM
Well, with 9th level spells and enough investment, you can have as many as you want via Ice Assasin (Frostburn).

WhamBamSam
2014-11-28, 09:41 PM
I'll repeat the suggestions of Animal Companion Bard (assuming they meant the UA variant), Silverwood Arcanist, and Extra Familiar. Strangely enough, the Bard variant doesn't appear to actually trade away Bardic music, just most of its uses. You still appear to have it for the purposes of qualification. The Enspell Familiar (from Dragon Magazine 280 alongside Extra Familiar) will also be handy.

Human Wizard 5/Animal Companion Bard 1/Mantled Warrior PsyWar 2/Urban Companion Druid 1/Sorcerer 1/Sublime Chord 2/Silverwood Arcanist 5/Fleshwarper 3

1. Wizard 1 - Wild Cohort, Enspell Familiar, Scribe Scroll
2. Wizard 2
3. Wizard 3 - Extra Familiar
4. Wizard 4
5. Wizard 5 - Graft Flesh
6. Bard 1 - Extra Familiar
7. Urban Companion Swift and Deadly Hunter Druid 1 - Track
8. PsyWar 1 - Psicrystal Affinity
9. Mantled PsyWar 2 (Magic Mantle) - Extra Familiar
10. Sorcerer 1
11. Sublime Chord 1
12. Sublime Chord 2 - Mounted Combat
13. Silverwood Arcanist 1
14. Silverwood Arcanist 2
15. Silverwood Arcanist 3 - Extra Familiar
16. Silverwood Arcanist 4
17. Silverwood Arcanist 5
18. Fleshwarper 1 - Extra Familiar
19. Fleshwarper 2
20. Fleshwarper 3

That makes a (weak) animal companion, a Wild Cohort, 6 Familiars, an Urban Companion (essentially a familiar), and a PsyCrystal to share your spells (up to 9th level, thanks to Sublime Chord) with. They've also all got fancy powers and lots of grafts thanks to Fleshwarper, though if you don't want to bother with that you can switch to Martial Wizard to pick up Mounted Combat with a Bonus Feat and get an extra feat to spend on Extra Familiar.