PDA

View Full Version : Which Feats do you believe would be better as Skill Tricks?

Malak'ai
2014-11-25, 09:17 AM
So I was reading the "How do you feel Tome of Battle has let you down" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384906-How-do-you-feel-Tome-of-Battle-has-let-you-down) thread, and I saw this little tidbit

Interesting. I don't see the problem here though. It affects the same concepts as a prison shanking. You've got three seconds to do as much harm to vitals that aren't protected as you can, so make it count. That linear advancement doesn't bother me. I do wish the ambush feats weren't feats however; they would make grand skill tricks.

Many feats would make grand skill tricks.

It's the bolded part that got me thinking. This would be, IMO, an awesome way of making the not so good feats; eg: Dodge, a little less of a trap.

Keeping with our example of Dodge, I'd link it to Tumble and say you needed 8 ranks in the skill before being able to learn it. I'd also make them a bit more expensive to learn, say 4 - 6 skillpoints instead of two.

What do the rest of you think? Could this be viable? What other Feats would you consider this for? Is my idea for how to do it reasonable or is there a better way?

Have at it Playground!

Psyren
2014-11-25, 09:50 AM
I for one dislike skill tricks in general, I think most of them are just Things You Should Be Able To Do With A Skill Check.

I could see feats like Mounted Combat being a Ride skill trick (still 1/round), and Spell Thematics being a Spellcraft skill trick, but again I would prefer those kinds of things to just be skill uses.

weckar
2014-11-25, 09:57 AM
I like the concept of skill tricks myself. I think it sort of shows a certain amount of proficiency in a related skill(s) that it usually doesn't even require a roll anymore to be extra-good.

See also Healing Hands.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 11:24 AM
-Any of the dodge chain, normal prerequisites but with 8 ranks in tumble, +2 per one in the chain (Dodge requires 8, Mobility 10, Spring attack 12...)

I can't think of many more, but you get the idea.

Nightraiderx
2014-11-25, 11:32 AM
any feat that only works once on any given encounter.

Flick of the Wrist feat could just be a sleight of hand skill trick.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 11:34 AM
any feat that only works once on any given encounter.

Flick of the Wrist feat could just be a sleight of hand skill trick.

So could (/should) Quick Draw.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 12:41 PM
So could (/should) Quick Draw.

But sometimes it's useful to have free-action drawing more than 1/encounter, e.g. if you're a thrower.

weckar
2014-11-25, 05:24 PM
I personally would actually like skill tricks a lot better if they were not capped at one taken per level and one known per two levels. It seems overly artificial for abilities - I think - are meant to be extremely specialized and situational (hence their lower cost)

Malak'ai
2014-11-27, 02:43 AM
So noone has any ideas on what other Feats would be better if they were to be made into skill tricks? Or another idea on how to impliment it in game?

daremetoidareyo
2014-11-27, 11:26 AM
When I DM, I allow the PCs to add a subsequent feat in the feat chains in PHB for dodge, power attack, point blank shot, weapon focus, & combat expertise for free. That way, the feat taxes for many prestige classes are ameliorated.

I really like psyren's idea of making mounted combat, and spell thematics a skill trick.
Appraise Magic value from complete adventurer is a skill trick disguised as a feat.

Troacctid
2014-11-27, 11:34 AM
Appraise Magic value from complete adventurer is a skill trick disguised as a feat.

No, it's an actual skill trick. It showed up again in Complete Scoundrel as such.