PDA

View Full Version : I swear, that thing was more annoying than a Gnome on a sugar rush! (Playable race)

Mr. Moon
2007-03-25, 01:23 AM
((This is my first home-brew that I created for Greenglen, so I'm not really clear on how to do it. I just used the PHB and modified all the races into Fim form, so it may not be up to snuff. Feel free to point out any flaws, over-sights, things left out, of over-powerings or offer to play-test it. That'd be nice too.))

Fim

Fim tend to be just as friendly as a a hyper-active Gnome, but more so, and all the time. Inquisitive and eager, they rarely shut up long enough to listen to the answers to the many questions they ask.
Genderless, they have no need for clothes, but sometimes sport jewelry or bits of fabric, such as a hat or a scarf.

Personality: When it comes to emotions, Fim have the ability to express a wide range in just a few seconds. While normally happy, annoying bugs, they can change to bored, sullen, angry or even depressed in just a matter of seconds. Fim are also know to burst into song with little or no warning when happy. And nothing is worse than the sound of a singing Fim.

Physical Description: Fim are about six inches tall, and thin enough to sit comfortably upon the lam of a human. They have a thick, green shell and a pair of butter-fly like wings. Their eyes are large, often blue or green. They have fingers that are slightly longer then the norm. Their hair ranges from blond to black, and they have no body or facial hair.

Relations: Fim see Dwarfs and more traditional Elves as stuck-up and boring, and Halflings and Gnomes as great fun. Indeed, often Halflings & Gnomes are the only ones good-natured enough to take them in, let alone put up with them. They are neutral to others, and view them as their personalities dictate. They get along especially well with the duller Half-Orcs.

Fim Lands: Fim live in small tribes deep within forests, or among Gnomes or Halflings. Forest dwelling Fim are known to wrap anything that goes to sleep in their "spit-stuff", see below.

Religion: Fim have no god of their own , and most are to dull to worship one. Smarter Fim might worship Ehlonna, or whatever gods those they live with worship.

Language: While Fim have no language of their own, their use of Common merits it's own dictionary. (Coming... sooner or later?) Examples of words would be: Bigthing = Human, Samewing = Butterfly or Fairy, Digdig = Troll, Dwarf or anything else that spends much of it's life underground, Nastybad = Mean or unkind, Bigtooth = Orc, Half-Orc, or anything with fangs.

Names: Fim tend to name things after obvious physical traits. Other Fim commonly receive nature-related names such as Silverdew, Bigleaf, Pettlewing, Winddance, etc.

Fim Traits:

+2 CON, +2 DEX, -2 INT: Fim have a hard shell, and are very fast in the air, but aren't all that bright. Most are just plain stupid.

Tiny: Fim get +2 AC and to hit for tiny, 1/2 carry capacity, -4 to STR, +8 to Hide

Base Land Speed: 5 ft, although Fim are more likely to catch a ride on the head of a friend.

Base Flight Speed: 30 ft, Good manuverability

Low Light Vision

Singing: The singing voice of a Fim is nearly as bad as the wail of a banshee. When a Fim starts to sing, any creatures within 45 ft. that are able to hear drops whatever they're holding and covers their ears. If they become threatened (IE: An enemy gets to close), they return to acting as normal, but suffer a -2 penalty to attack, skills, and saves to distraction. Spell Casters concentrating on a spell must take a DC 15 concentration check. Deaf creatures, other Fim, and anyone who has spent more than a year among Fim are immune to this.

Fim suffer a -10 Penelty to Perform (Sing) checks.

Thick shell: Fim always count as having a +2 natural armor. This stacks with any other armor they might have.

Spitstuff: 3+level/day, a Fim can use it's spitstuff. Spitstuff is a sticky, cobweb-like fluid that a Fim can spit (hence the name) onto an enemy (or ally). To completely wrap a target, it must be Helpless, and remain so until completely wrapped, which takes 10+1d4 rounds for a Medium Creature. (The DM should modify this as he sees fit according to the size of the target.) Once the target is completely wrapped, it remains in a state of suspended animation until someone takes the effort to cut them lose. Fim can also spit a small amount of Spitstuff into the face of an enemy, causing them to be unable to see until they can pull it off. This doesn't count against the limit, although the DM can decide if a Fim has used it to much.

Favored Class: Bard. Fim love to sing, even though others wish they wouldn't.

Arbitrarity
2007-03-25, 09:16 AM
Spitstuff is just odd, though has some interesting uses, and this isn't a template, it seems to be a race.

+2 AC and to hit for tiny, 1/2 carry capacity. Oh, sorry, +8 to hide, forgot about that (doh!)

What's the manuverability of the flight? I might guess good, at that size.

+2 AC from armour is +2 natural armour.

I think spitstuff should be reduced in usage. The singing being negated by backstory is just a bad idea. Anything negated by backstory will cause every player to say they did it. -5 to all rolls is obscene! -2 to attack, skills, and saves, prehaps, but even as a doubled edged sword, ranged attacks with that would be insane.

EvilElitest
2007-03-25, 01:29 PM
oh a annoying hyper race

heh heh heh........yeah
Have you ever heard of a kender?
This sound an awful like some race from Elf Quest

from,
EE

Mr. Moon
2007-03-25, 03:49 PM
I'm actualy in a D&D with a Kender Bard. Needless to say, my character, a Half-Orc Paladin, does not get along with him very well. ;)

I wasn't going to say anything about it unless someone mentioned it, but yeah, Fim are based very much so on Preservers. :P

Spitstuff is just odd, though has some interesting uses, and this isn't a template, it seems to be a race.

+2 AC and to hit for tiny, 1/2 carry capacity.

What's the manuverability of the flight? I might guess good, at that size.

+2 AC from armour is +2 natural armour.

I think spitstuff should be reduced in usage. The singing being negated by backstory is just a bad idea. Anything negated by backstory will cause every player to say they did it. -5 to all rolls is obscene! -2 to attack, skills, and saves, prehaps, but even as a doubled edged sword, ranged attacks with that would be insane.
Not a template? You sure? They are a race, but that's what I thought it was called.

What do you mean manuverability? I don't understand.

You think? Fim use their spitstuff alot in the wild. I think I should keep it that way. I also haven't finished up with the uses of it yet. There's a bit more.

Hmm... I was thinking the signing was a bit over-powered. Maybe it could be negated by a Concentration Check once a round?
... But think about the possibilities with Backstories... I suppose it would make that happen. Stupid power-players, ruining a perfectly viable story-point...

Lemur
2007-03-25, 04:11 PM
A template is something that modifies an existing creature, as opposed to a new creature entirely.

I think the singing ability is a bit overdone. Make a Will save to negate the penalties and item-dropping, once the ability is used. Opponents who save should be unaffected for the duration of the encounter. The DC would probably be 10+ 1/2 Fim's HD + Fim's Cha modifier. Also, -5 is too much as a penalty. Make it -1 or -2 to attacks and skill checks.

Maneuverability refers to the Fim's flight movement. It determines how well flying creatures can move around. I'm guessing the Fim should have Good or Perfect as a maneuverability rating. The Fim sounds similar to a Pixie, which has Good for it's maneuverability rating, just for reference.

I don't see a creature type mentioned, but this is almost definitely a Fey.

Tiny creatures have 0 ft. reach as well.

How many HD do they have initially? Only one? Also, are they meant to be a PC race? They probably deserve a +1 level adjustment, at least.

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-25, 04:32 PM
I don't think a concentration check would help with un-breaking their songs; perhaps lowering the penalty to a -1 or -2 and giving it a will save (DC 10 + Cha, perhaps) would help.

Fly (good maneuverability) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tableManeuverability).

And unless you want dwarf fim/elf fim/gnome fim/balor fim, it indeed should be a race. Templates are for things like vampires; they're applied to races, so you can have dwarven vampires, elven vampires, or even mind-flayer vampires.

EDIT: huh, ninja'd twenty minutes before I posted. Am I really so tired it takes me more than half an hour to hit the "post message" button?

EvilElitest
2007-03-25, 04:50 PM
Keep it as a race, a templet does not make sense
from,
EE

flawed.Perfection
2007-03-26, 02:30 AM
Have you thought about slightly altering Spitstuff? Say, they just spit a goo-y and sticky fluid on their opponents, making their movement less effective, reducing their AC, Attack bonus and Reflex Save by -2.

Also, with the natural flight ability, the high stats and the natural armor, I'd say +2 level adjustment.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-26, 11:02 AM
For the singing, I agree with lowering it to -2, possibly have a % chance every few minutes of that spontaneous chorus ;)

And if you want some fluff to it, instead of the backstory deal, do something along the lines of "If the Fim has full ranks in Perform (Vocals), the penalty for Singing may be reduced to -1 (Fim's choice upon singing)."

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-26, 03:36 PM
Do the fim get a strength penalty? They're Tiny; are they really as strong as a human? Likewise, a con bonus means that you can hit a fim with, say a greataxe as hard as you can a dwarf.

Tiny creatures need massive strength and con penalties. The shell explains a natural armour bonus, not con.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-27, 06:30 PM
There's no need for Constitution penalties IMO, but size penalties to strength should indeed apply. -4 works for tiny, I believe. Good race overall, though maybe the singing could be overcome by a massive amount of ranks in Perform (sing), or it could only come into effect when the Fim rolls a -5 or lower on its perform (sing) check. That's after applying a steep racial penalty, of course.

Mr. Moon
2007-03-30, 01:13 PM
Okay, I've fixed it up a bit. What do you think? I'm looking foreward to using one.