PDA

View Full Version : Does Song of Rest only augment spending HD to heal?

odigity
2014-11-25, 11:34 AM
"If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points."

Does that apply when regaining HP at the end of a short rest via a spell or healing portion, or only via spending HD?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-11-25, 11:39 AM
Giving the ability as written the broadest reasonable interpretation, then it applies to anything that lets you regain HP if you regain that HP at the end of a short rest. Potions, spells, hit dice, second winds, or anything else you can think of. The main limiting factor is the timing.

Giant2005
2014-11-25, 11:51 AM
Giving the ability as written the broadest reasonable interpretation, then it applies to anything that lets you regain HP if you regain that HP at the end of a short rest. Potions, spells, hit dice, second winds, or anything else you can think of. The main limiting factor is the timing.

Clearly it was designed to only apply to recovering via HD otherwise it would have saved all of the nonsense and just said "Everyone within earshot heals to full after a short rest". After-all, what you are describing would have that exact same effect due to Song of Rest proccing off the HD healing and then proccing again off that Song of Rest and then again off that secondary Song of Rest which would proc a tertiary Song of Rest... over and over until everyone is healthy.

odigity
2014-11-25, 11:53 AM
Clearly it was designed to only apply to recovering via HD otherwise it would have saved all of the nonsense and just said "Everyone within earshot heals to full after a short rest". After-all, what you are describing would have that exact same effect due to Song of Rest proccing off the HD healing and then proccing again off that Song of Rest and then again off that secondary Song of Rest which would proc a tertiary Song of Rest... over and over until everyone is healthy.

I sing two songs before I sing two songs, and then I sing two more.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-25, 12:00 PM

Not really? As long as it doesn't proc off itself (which no one other than you has recommended so far), it's +1d6 to any form of healing. Suddenly healing potions and spells are more potent, but not insanely so. It's not only a fair and balanced interpretation of the rules, it's also more tactically interesting, too, as it forces people to make potentially disastrous decisions- "Hrmm, do I want to use this healing potion now, since I'm down to 5 HP, or do I want to wait until we take our short rest, since I'm down to 5 HP and can use all the HP I can get?"

odigity
2014-11-25, 12:05 PM
Why does everyone keep using the word proc instead of trigger? It's driving me nuts.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-11-25, 12:14 PM
Sorry I wasn't clearer, but I interpreted the extra 1d6 as acting only a single time. It's "an extra 1d6" with no mention of "per source of healing". The wording is very agnostic about what the source needs to be, it's only strict about the timing.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 12:29 PM
It does say at the end of the short rest, not during the short rest. The benefit of an hour's singing occurs during that precise moment and does not apply to healing which occurs before it. The only healing which specifically occurs at the end of a short rest is HD recovery.

I'd say RAI is that this is only the HD, but RAW if you can drink a potion / cast a cure wounds spell during the round which coincides with the end of the short rest, that healing is also augmented.

odigity
2014-11-25, 01:22 PM
It does say at the end of the short rest, not during the short rest. The benefit of an hour's singing occurs during that precise moment and does not apply to healing which occurs before it. The only healing which specifically occurs at the end of a short rest is HD recovery.

I'd say RAI is that this is only the HD, but RAW if you can drink a potion / cast a cure wounds spell during the round which coincides with the end of the short rest, that healing is also augmented.

You're not in rounds at that time, the concept doesn't really apply. But I agree re RAI. It's clearly about spending HD.

Ziegander
2014-11-25, 01:22 PM
It doesn't augment anything. Just read what it says. If a character regains hit points during a short rest, then, at the end of said rest, they regain 1d6 additional hitpoints. It's an if/then statement, and it applies one time at the end of the rest. It doesn't matter what happens during that short rest to cause the character to regain hit points, the ability only cares that they did regain hit points, and if they did, then they regain 1d6 extra at the end of the short rest.

odigity
2014-11-25, 01:46 PM
It doesn't augment anything. Just read what it says. If a character regains hit points during a short rest, then, at the end of said rest, they regain 1d6 additional hitpoints. It's an if/then statement, and it applies one time at the end of the rest. It doesn't matter what happens during that short rest to cause the character to regain hit points, the ability only cares that they did regain hit points, and if they did, then they regain 1d6 extra at the end of the short rest.

That's not correct, as has already been pointed out in this thread. It specifically says if you regain HP at the *end* of a short rest, not during. The only mechanic that specifically grants you HP at the end of a short rest is spending HD. For that reason, it is clear what RAI is, at the very least, and RAW seems to more or less match it.

Ziegander
2014-11-25, 01:49 PM
That's not correct, as has already been pointed out in this thread. It specifically says if you regain HP at the *end* of a short rest, not during. The only mechanic that specifically grants you HP at the end of a short rest is spending HD. For that reason, it is clear what RAI is, at the very least, and RAW seems to more or less match it.

Yep, I was reading it wrong. That's so odd. I wonder why they wrote it that way instead of, "During a short rest, if any of your allies spends a Hit Dice to regain hit points, roll 1d6 and add the result to the number of hit points that ally would regain in this way," or some other, similar wording. Maybe they thought this was the most elegant wording.

odigity
2014-11-25, 03:20 PM
Yep, I was reading it wrong. That's so odd. I wonder why they wrote it that way instead of, "During a short rest, if any of your allies spends a Hit Dice to regain hit points, roll 1d6 and add the result to the number of hit points that ally would regain in this way," or some other, similar wording. Maybe they thought this was the most elegant wording.

I abso-frackin-lutley, whole-heartedly agree with that.

Is it really so hard to say what you mean?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-11-25, 03:44 PM
Maybe they wanted to leave it open, for the case of other short-rest healing mechanics in the future.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 03:49 PM
The reason for the awkward wording, IMNSHO, is that short rests can be interrupted. If you finish 50 minutes of a rest and wandering monsters wander by and start monstering all over the place, you don't get to roll your HD unless you start all over again.

Safety Sword
2014-11-25, 10:18 PM

Anything except spending hit dice is not actually "at the end of a short rest". It's using another method.

I would say that it only applies spending hit dice to recover.

Unless you rule that the target hearing the song makes them more receptive to healing, which is another angle.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-11-26, 11:41 AM
Like I said, It doesn't explicitly cite a source of healing, such as hit dice, even though it very easily could have. It specifies the timing, and a player can easily state "At the end of the short rest, I drink a healing potion/use my second wind" etc. It's the DM's prerogative to decide whether the conditions have been met, and personally I'd say that they have been met. A single d6 of HP isn't overpowered ability, and still requires some other healing resource to be expended.