PDA

View Full Version : Edible Monsters

Pyon
2014-11-25, 12:00 PM
So just a fun question, are dragons, giant sea serpents, demons, and the like edible? What about the Tarrasque? I was thinking of the best way to celebrate a good victory, and a large feast of the defeated beast seems like the best way to end the day!

Also if edible, what would they taste like?

Heikold
2014-11-25, 12:03 PM
I hear alligators taste a bit like monkfish. Potentially dragon would have a similar texture/flavour.

sakuuya
2014-11-25, 12:14 PM
I remember seeing a campaign setting based around the idea of a city that captured the tarrasque and harvested its flesh/blood/etc. for food and tools. It was pretty gross, but I mean that in the best possible way.

EDIT: Dug it up! Here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?261519-D-amp-Dish-The-city-built-around-the-tarrasque)'s the rpg.net thread that spawned it, and here (http://waelfwulf.wordpress.com/)'s a site with a PDF of the finalized setting.

Also, I imagine gelatinous cubes are delicious when consumed in small enough quantities that their acid/paralyzing whatsit just becomes a nice tingle. Like, the consistency of jello, but tarter and fizzy.

Telonius
2014-11-25, 12:20 PM
With an application of Purify Food and Drink, and Prestidigitation? Whatever it is, it's both edible and delicious. :smallbiggrin:

ellindsey
2014-11-25, 12:37 PM
My players were attacked by several Cave Fishers. Afterwards, in addition to salvaging the glue glands they cut off the claws and legs and boiled them for a celebratory feast.

One of my players is a cleric with "You must not waste meat" as one of her god's teachings, so I expect I'm going to be having to figure out the edibility of a lot of monsters for this campaign...

Pyon
I remember seeing a campaign setting based around the idea of a city that captured the tarrasque and harvested its flesh/blood/etc. for food and tools. It was pretty gross, but I mean that in the best possible way.

EDIT: Dug it up! Here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?261519-D-amp-Dish-The-city-built-around-the-tarrasque)'s the rpg.net thread that spawned it, and here (http://waelfwulf.wordpress.com/)'s a site with a PDF of the finalized setting.

Also, I imagine gelatinous cubes are delicious when consumed in small enough quantities that their acid/paralyzing whatsit just becomes a nice tingle. Like, the consistency of jello, but tarter and fizzy.

****in' hell that's one amazing campaign setting o.o

Xelbiuj
Fey probably taste really gamey, same for magical beasts, but instead of gamey, a new, unknown to us, flavor.

Dragons shouldn't be too good, they eat treasure, a dragon steak should taste really bloody, even if it's been drained and well cooked, etc. same for rust monsters.

Undead who's touch can kill shouldn't decay from bacteria or fungus so perhaps depending on the creature, once slain it could be compared to lutefisk (fish in lye) or that Norwegian fermented shark. Or jerky.

If you're okay with cannibalism, I'm sure mind flayers would be good, like a really fatty and tender calamari.

I'd avoid eating beings made for pure XYZ. No demons, devils, angels, elementals and whathave.

Pyon
2014-11-25, 12:47 PM
Fey probably taste really gamey, same for magical beasts, but instead of gamey, a new, unknown to us, flavor.

Dragons shouldn't be too good, they eat treasure, a dragon steak should taste really bloody, even if it's been drained and well cooked, etc. same for rust monsters.

Undead who's touch can kill shouldn't decay from bacteria or fungus so perhaps depending on the creature, once slain it could be compared to lutefisk (fish in lye) or that Norwegian fermented shark. Or jerky.

If you're okay with cannibalism, I'm sure mind flayers would be good, like a really fatty and tender calamari.

I'd avoid eating beings made for pure XYZ. No demons, devils, angels, elementals and whathave.

I'm a level 20 character optimized to the max. I have a +999999 bonus on my eating skill. Throw it at me, what would demons taste like? And angels and elementals?

Xelbiuj
2014-11-25, 03:33 PM
I'm a level 20 character optimized to the max. I have a +999999 bonus on my eating skill. Throw it at me, what would demons taste like? And angels and elementals?

Elementals;

water - seltzer water
earth - dirt
air - no corpse to eat, you could eat the debris I suppose.
fire - no real corpse, bits of ash and charred organic matter.

Devils; lizards or lamb marinaded in sulfur.
Demons; rotten meat marinaded in sulfur.
Yogs: Very sour I imagine.
Angel, like humans but "better" in ineffable ways. The wings taste like a cleaner, leaner, chicken wing.

Slimes - depends on the type but you need to add baking soda to neutralize the acidity.

dysprosium
2014-11-25, 03:48 PM
Elementals;

water - seltzer water
earth - dirt
air - no corpse to eat, you could eat the debris I suppose.
fire - no real corpse, bits of ash and charred organic matter.

Devils; lizards or lamb marinaded in sulfur.
Demons; rotten meat marinaded in sulfur.
Yogs: Very sour I imagine.
Angel, like humans but "better" in ineffable ways. The wings taste like a cleaner, leaner, chicken wing.

Slimes - depends on the type but you need to add baking soda to neutralize the acidity.

Man am I getting hungry now!

In my current group I have a player whose character likes to eat the meat of the fallen as well.

Pyon
2014-11-25, 04:04 PM
Man am I getting hungry now!

In my current group I have a player whose character likes to eat the meat of the fallen as well.

Has his character ever commented on the taste?

dysprosium
2014-11-25, 04:49 PM
Sometimes he jokes that it tastes like chicken -- no matter what it was that he eats.

LoyalPaladin
2014-11-25, 05:02 PM
Dug it up! Here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?261519-D-amp-Dish-The-city-built-around-the-tarrasque)'s the rpg.net thread that spawned it, and here (http://waelfwulf.wordpress.com/)'s a site with a PDF of the finalized setting.
Umm... I am going to run this. My players will have a heyday.

Kaeso
2014-11-25, 05:06 PM
So just a fun question, are dragons, giant sea serpents, demons, and the like edible? What about the Tarrasque? I was thinking of the best way to celebrate a good victory, and a large feast of the defeated beast seems like the best way to end the day!

Also if edible, what would they taste like?

On earth, you can pretty sure that if an animal has meat, someone has eaten it. I've heard that in India, rat tails are considered a delicacy, and in some parts of Mexico they eat scorpions and certain bugs. And in some regions of the Far East, cat and dog meat is served as food. We don't even need to go that far from the Western World to meet strange dishes: the French are famous for eating snails, frog legs and sheep brains (cervelle d'agneau, I'm not even making this up). In a world where sea serpents and dragons exist and are probably hunted, I see no reason why they shouldn't be considered edible. Dragon steak and a bouillabaisse with sahagin and sea serpent meat makes perfect sense for me. Not too sure about demons, they're probably too humanoid which would make most people squick out (but then again, there were historic civilizations that practiced cannibalism).

holywhippet
2014-11-25, 05:42 PM
Anyone ever play the old video game Nethack? It was more or less D&D based except that eating certain monsters could give you their powers. Like eating a Tengu gave you teleport control or eating a mind flayer game you telepathy. You could even polymorph into a rust monster and eat magical rings to gain their powers IIRC.

Doorhandle
2014-11-25, 05:46 PM
I'm very accepting of players eating monsters. Anything that moves a setting closer to Monster Hunter or Toriko is good in my book.

For the record, I've heard that giant squid IRL taste awful due to ammonia in their very flesh.

Pyon
2014-11-25, 05:49 PM
I'm very accepting of players eating monsters. Anything that moves a setting closer to Monster Hunter or Toriko is good in my book.

For the record, I've heard that giant squid IRL taste awful due to ammonia in their very flesh.

I was thinking exactly of Monster Hunter when I made this thread. There are some monster descriptions such as "Lagacrius tail is a Moga Village delicacy" and stuff like Barroth tail and Popo tongue.

atemu1234
2014-11-25, 06:12 PM
I know it's not related, but when I read the thread title I immediately thought of the Calzone Golem.

Rijan_Sai
2014-11-27, 04:02 PM
Aberrant Blood + Scavenging Gullet = everything's edible! Yes, even that...

At least, that's how our BSF plays it...eats just about everything we kill...and a few things we don't...

Dunsparce
2014-11-27, 04:44 PM
There's an official 3.5 module that has a Calzone golem as an enemy.

hamishspence
2014-11-27, 04:53 PM
In Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, it discusses a campaign that began with the characters deciding (after losing their supplies to wyvern attack) that they would keep themselves fed by eating monsters ("Wyverns first!") - if they were edible.

It went on to provide a recipe for cooked stirge (with a meat replacement for those readers that want the closest thing to a "real world version" to make themselves).

Pearstriker
2014-11-27, 05:55 PM
In a particularly wacky campaign I was DMing, the party had to defeat a Huge Size Cake Golem.

That immediately sprung to mind when I read the topic.

That being said, anything that's fleshy should be edible, provided it isn't also poisonous in some way, and as was mentioned, purify food and drink is a 0 level spell.

I'd definitely take along a copy of "How to Butcher a Rust Monster and 1000 other Culinary Adventures".

ArqArturo
2014-11-27, 07:22 PM
You've never experiences absolute terror until you've faced an elder dark chocolate brownie elemental.

That is awesome, creepy, and also slightly cruel... I'd probably play an outraged druid.

Ruethgar
2014-11-28, 10:47 AM
There were actually rules in AEG's Dragons book for effects from eating dragon flesh/blood. Nothing about the taste though. Also I'm pretty sure that eating demons gets you a magical disease from the BoVD, can't recall it's name though. I would add effects to some of the more powerful creatures, maybe eating angels/celestials/demons/devils temporarily changes your alignment(or at least your perceivable alignment).

Blackhawk748
2014-11-28, 10:50 AM

Thats cool on so many levels. I love the fact that the city is so messed up a DM may let me use Apocalypse from the Sky and not get the glare of death as i nuke half the city.