PDA

View Full Version : Proposed House Rules and Feedback

Dalebert
2014-11-25, 02:05 PM
Phantom Steed and Unseen Servant each have a duration of 8 hours.

Tome warlocks should be able to swap out a cantrip in their book when they go up a level in place of swapping out one of their other spells known.

These are thoughts so far. What do you think? Which house rules are you using in your games?

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-25, 02:31 PM

Tome warlocks should be able to swap out a cantrip in their book when they go up a level in place of swapping out one of their other spells known.

These are thoughts so far. What do you think? Which house rules are you using in your games?

Make sure that while Phantom Steed or Unseen Servant is being used those spell slots can't be refreshed. I'm AFB but I think those spells are low enough to be refreshed.

Warlock... Part of me wants to say the warlock is powerful enough and don't need this upgrade. However, I think it would make sense due to just how the Tomelock and Warlock works.

My main houserule is the following.

When a mage uses a spell while threatened that doesn't have an attack roll but targets a creature and gives a save (to negate or for half) that target has advantage on it's save.

This stops the wizard with medium/heavy armor just casting save spells while in melee without a penalty. If attack roll spells have a penalty then so will save spells.

Kurald Galain
2014-11-25, 02:38 PM
Which house rules are you using in your games?

(1) advantage stacks; and one advantage cancels out one disad instead of all of them, and vice versa;
(2) proficiency bonus to skills is doubled (tripled with the rogue's skill mastery);
(3) gain a free extra skill training every third level;
(4) use a point buy that allows you to get a 16 through 18, since you can also get those numbers by rolling; and
(5) we still need to do something about saving throw scaling.

Dalebert
2014-11-25, 02:55 PM
I should note that my DM has house-ruled that if a grimoire gets destroyed, the recovered grimoire still has all the rituals in it including any that were added. As a lock in his game, this is awesome for me. I haven't decided if I would use the same rule myself.

MadGrady
2014-11-25, 03:01 PM
My campaign is running with the following houserules:

1. You get a +2 to one ability and +1 to another ability of your choice when choosing a race - we are not using the stated racial bonuses listed. This allows race to be more of a RP aspect vs an optimization aspect. So far no issues with this in play.

2. When you crit - your first weapon die is automatically max damage. Roll any additional weapon die you get. This allows your crit to still do pretty good damage. Worst thing ever is to get a crit, and roll two "1s" for damage.

3. Houseruled Bow Mastery feat to grant similar bonuses as Crossbow Mastery.

MadGrady
2014-11-25, 03:02 PM
(2) proficiency bonus to skills is doubled (tripled with the rogue's skill mastery

My I ask the reason behind this rule? I'm curious as to how this came about, and what it was trying to alleviate.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 03:41 PM
Many of these are anti-cheese, which is to say I don't want someone to hit level 10 or 15 and find out the trick they were counting on using is disapproved.

1) You cannot daisy-chain mental control; e.g., a Charmed creature cannot cast Charm or Dominate. This applies to spells, spell-like abilities, class features (e.g., Knowledge Cleric), and so on. Those who are not in control of themselves cannot gain control of others.

Notice what this does to Simulacrum cheese. It also keeps you from Charming a mage met on the road into casting Charm on the guards at the gate and taking the heat for doing so when the spell wears off.

2) Explicitly stated, a Wizard cannot copy spells into his or her spellbook that the Wizard does not have *Wizard* spell slots for. A 17th level Cleric who dips 1 level of Wizard does not get access to Wish.

3) Explicitly stated, any deity with Life or Light domain does not like undead, and any person who travels about with undead as part of their entourage is likely to draw attention from the clerics of those deities. An exception might be made for a deity who also has the Death domain, but you've still got plenty of do-gooders to worry about. The more undead, the more attention.

4) My char gen rules are as follows:
a) You cannot roll less than 8. If you do roll less than 8, write down 8.
b) To generate a score, roll 3 dice. If you wish, you may change any one die to a 4. No more than one may be changed; not changing anything is OK (which probably means you rolled at least 12).
c) After generating 6 numbers, you may take the standard array if you prefer.

5) Trying to enrich yourself using the Fabricate spell draws attention from those who make money producing such items by hand.

6) You cannot use True Polymorph to create magic items.

7) Rangers need help.
a) Rangers can use their class feature to scan the area without burning a spell slot.
b) Rangers get twice as many favored enemies as indicated by the tables, with the same limitations regarding humanoids (two varieties of humanoid count as one creature type).
c) A Beastmaster Ranger can teach his companion one-word commands; the companion can know as many command words as the proficiency bonus of the Ranger due to Ranger levels. If the companion is killed or replaced, teaching the new companion word takes 50 hours of training, which can take place during short rests. Using the command word is a bonus action for the Ranger.

8) The Tarrasque has a burrow speed. :smallbiggrin:

9) Several non PHB races are available as PC choices. However, any PC must have INT, WIS, and CHA of at least 8 each; that only matters if you play a race with a penalty to their scores, such as a pure blooded orc.

10) A Dragonborn of one of the chromatic types (black, blue, green, red, white) is a product of Tiamat meddling with humans and gets STR +2, INT +1, as she intended her creations to destroy and dominate. A Dragonborn of one of the metallic types (brass, bronze, copper, gold, silver) is a product of Bahamut and gets CON +2, CHA +1, as he intended his creations to endure evil and lead others to oppose it. Edit: A Dragonborn PC still has 100% latitude in their choice of alignment.

Celcey
2014-11-25, 03:50 PM
A couple of my houserules are if you roll under a 10 stat you reroll, and when you roll for HP when you level up, you can take the half+1 if you roll less than that.

Z3ro
2014-11-25, 03:56 PM
2) Explicitly stated, a Wizard cannot copy spells into his or her spellbook that the Wizard does not have *Wizard* spell slots for. A 17th level Cleric who dips 1 level of Wizard does not get access to Wish.

If I may ask, why the rule on this? A 17 cleric/1 wizard already can't prepare wish, what difference does it make if it's in their spellbook?

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 04:35 PM
If I may ask, why the rule on this? A 17 cleric/1 wizard already can't prepare wish, what difference does it make if it's in their spellbook?

I've seen the argument made that a Wizard:
1) Can copy any spell into their book if they have a spell slot of that level (not a WIZARD spell slot)
2) Prepare any spell in their book if they have a spell slot of that level (not a WIZARD spell slot)
3) Cast any spell they can prepare by using a spell slot of sufficient level (not a WIZARD spell slot)

I consider the argument to be specious, but people have advanced it in good faith (so far as I could tell). Since some people were arguing that 5e allowed a one-level dip to grant the entire spell book, I added the rule.

Kurald Galain
2014-11-25, 04:43 PM
My I ask the reason behind this rule? I'm curious as to how this came about, and what it was trying to alleviate.

My opinion is that the difference between "trained" and "untrained" characters is too small, especially at the levels most campaigns appear to play at (i.e. approx 1-10). I'm fine with characters automatically succeeding at basic rolls for which they've made an investment.

Z3ro
2014-11-25, 04:48 PM
1) Can copy any spell into their book if they have a spell slot of that level (not a WIZARD spell slot)
2) Prepare any spell in their book if they have a spell slot of that level (not a WIZARD spell slot)
3) Cast any spell they can prepare by using a spell slot of sufficient level (not a WIZARD spell slot)

I consider the argument to be specious, but people have advanced it in good faith (so far as I could tell). Since some people were arguing that 5e allowed a one-level dip to grant the entire spell book, I added the rule.

Ah, I see. The PHB is pretty clear that multi-classing spellcasting doesn't work that way, but I could understand the rule if you're getting honest push-back.

McBars
2014-11-25, 04:53 PM

I'd just tell them "No. Not only is that unreasonable, but is explicitly detailed in the players handbook."

If they push back, I CRUSH them!

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-25, 05:11 PM

The upshot is that something described as 'Nearly Impossible' (DC 30) becomes actually pretty likely. Normally the cap of +11 to the skill check (+5 from ability mod, +6 from proficiency) means that nearly impossible is a 10% chance of occuring. With doubled proficiency, that becomes a 35% chance of occuring. It kind of wrecks the point of having bounded accuracy.

jaydubs
2014-11-25, 05:22 PM
(2) proficiency bonus to skills is doubled (tripled with the rogue's skill mastery);
(3) gain a free extra skill training every third level;

I'm assuming by skill mastery you mean expertise. Bard's should get the same treatment, since they also have expertise. And you should also be buffing the bard's jack-of-all-trades in that case, since the more skill proficiencies everyone has, the less useful it becomes.

I'd also suggest an alternative racial options for those that get skill proficiencies, since they became comparatively less valuable if the game goes to higher levels.

MinaBee
2014-11-25, 06:07 PM
Healer's kits no longer auto-stabilize.

When you use a Healer's Kit, you still have to make a Wisdom(Medicine) check, but the Healer's Kit doubles your Medicine proficiency bonus.

I'm still playing around with this, cause I haven't actually used this with a game. Other variants I'm considering are:
*Healer's Kits only don't auto-stabilize if you are in combat rounds.

*Instead of doubling your proficiency bonus, it just adds a flat bonus to the check. (Like, perhaps a +5)

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 07:06 PM
Healer's kits no longer auto-stabilize.

When you use a Healer's Kit, you still have to make a Wisdom(Medicine) check, but the Healer's Kit doubles your Medicine proficiency bonus.

I'm still playing around with this, cause I haven't actually used this with a game. Other variants I'm considering are:
*Healer's Kits only don't auto-stabilize if you are in combat rounds.

*Instead of doubling your proficiency bonus, it just adds a flat bonus to the check. (Like, perhaps a +5)

Medicine seems to be too weak. I'm considering adding the idea that while a DC 10 roll stabilizes, a DC 20 rolls restores 1 HP and gets them back in the fight (hopefully the next person in the initiative tree has healing magic).

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-25, 07:10 PM
One that I saw on here a couple weeks ago or whatever was changing the Fighter's Indomitable to be legendary saves instead of rerolls.

I love this and will try it out when I can.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-25, 11:38 PM
Oh, I had a question.

How balanced do you all think it would be to trade "Mask of the Wild" for a Druid cantrip?

Kurald Galain
2014-11-26, 02:19 AM
The upshot is that something described as 'Nearly Impossible' (DC 30) becomes actually pretty likely.
I explicitly mentioned levels 1 through 10 in my post, and of course your counterexample requires level 20. Very few campaigns ever get to level 20, let alone spend an appreciable amount of time there.

I'm assuming by skill mastery you mean expertise. Bard's should get the same treatment, since they also have expertise. And you should also be buffing the bard's jack-of-all-trades in that case, since the more skill proficiencies everyone has, the less useful it becomes.
Yes, and yes. And I don't think the bard's JOAT needs a boost, but I'll consider it.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-11-26, 02:56 AM
I explicitly mentioned levels 1 through 10 in my post, and of course your counterexample requires level 20. Very few campaigns ever get to level 20, let alone spend an appreciable amount of time there.I wonder if you'd be better off having a higher base level and scaling at the standard rate to achieve your effect. So instead of all skill proficiency bonuses doubling, you could just add 2 to the starting bonus. That means it's the same as your house rule at levels 1-4, but the advantage tapers off over time to the point where "Impossible" DCs are still basically that.

Of course, I think level 20 characters should be able to mundanely achieve "impossible" things, but I have no special fondness for bounded accuracy.

Sindeloke
2014-11-26, 05:43 AM
The upshot is that something described as 'Nearly Impossible' (DC 30) becomes actually pretty likely. Normally the cap of +11 to the skill check (+5 from ability mod, +6 from proficiency) means that nearly impossible is a 10% chance of occuring. With doubled proficiency, that becomes a 35% chance of occuring. It kind of wrecks the point of having bounded accuracy.

It's easy enough to change the DCs if that bothers you (though I agree with GoodbyeSoberDay that there's really no reason level 20 characters shouldn't be doing the impossible on the regular). The salient thing is that you go from "years of practice and skill are worth, at best, marginally more than being natively inclined toward something, and both those things together are still only half as important as sheer dumb luck," to "practice is twice as valuable as innate ability, and someone both innately talented and willing to put in the work can mostly overcome bad luck."

When you look at how real-world things like juggling, rock climbing, lockpicking, and historical research work, for example, this feels a lot more realistic, and puts you in a position where a guy who's never even learned to swim isn't going to beat Ian Thorpe in a swimming race.

McBars
2014-11-26, 06:08 AM
It's easy enough to change the DCs if that bothers you (though I agree with GoodbyeSoberDay that there's really no reason level 20 characters shouldn't be doing the impossible on the regular). The salient thing is that you go from "years of practice and skill are worth, at best, marginally more than being natively inclined toward something, and both those things together are still only half as important as sheer dumb luck," to "practice is twice as valuable as innate ability, and someone both innately talented and willing to put in the work can mostly overcome bad luck."

When you look at how real-world things like juggling, rock climbing, lockpicking, and historical research work, for example, this feels a lot more realistic, and puts you in a position where a guy who's never even learned to swim isn't going to beat Ian Thorpe in a swimming race.

For some things yes; for many others however, no amount of practice can substitute for innate ability.

Kurald Galain
2014-11-26, 06:40 AM
The salient thing is that you go from "years of practice and skill are worth, at best, marginally more than being natively inclined toward something, and both those things together are still only half as important as sheer dumb luck," to "practice is twice as valuable as innate ability, and someone both innately talented and willing to put in the work can mostly overcome bad luck."

Precisely. Well put.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 06:52 AM
For some things yes; for many others however, no amount of practice can substitute for innate ability.

Fantasy game, any amount of practice can substitute for inate ability.

Rogue has a Dex of 10 but trains to be the best Acrobatics Thief around? I want that Rogue to be passing through damn walls of force around level 15+.

Because that's just how damn awesome she is.

This game doesn't need to simulate the real world, inate ability doesn't need to effect anything other than untrained skills.

D&D isn't a simulation game :)

McBars
2014-11-26, 07:06 AM
Fantasy game, any amount of practice can substitute for inate ability.

Rogue has a Dex of 10 but trains to be the best Acrobatics Thief around? I want that Rogue to be passing through damn walls of force around level 15+.

Because that's just how damn awesome she is.

This game doesn't need to simulate the real world, inate ability doesn't need to effect anything other than untrained skills.

D&D isn't a simulation game :)

Of course it's not a simulation, thankfully.

That still doesn't mean that the stupid will grow up to be better wizards than the smart just by reading real hard for long enough... Or that a naturally athletic person isn't a better long jumper or high jumper untrained than some old haunchy nag who does box jumps everyday...or that a squatty, fugly person who "don't talk so good" will be more persuasive than an attractive, glib person just because the person who looks like a dog read "how to win friends and influence people"

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-11-26, 07:59 AM
Sadly, 5e may not be the right edition for the more "Wuxia" martial feel. 3.5/PF-with-3rd-party can do it; 4e can potentially do it; rules lite systems can describe anything kind of. But this system harkens back to the old "fighting man fights, magic user bends reality" paradigm where legendary non-casters couldn't just leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Then again, there's a difference between Wuxia and "One of the greatest heroes ever known can consistently outperform Commoner Joe at the hero's area of expertise," but again, bounded accuracy.

MOLOKH
2014-11-26, 08:05 AM
This isn't exactly on topic, but I don't hink it warrants making a separate thread.

A player in my campaign went to the local smith and asked him to make what he described as "a thick metal door with straps". The idea is that when the party barbarian kicks a door in, he would move in front of him and grant the party cover with it like a SWAT team. (He also went to a chemist and wanted to buy flashbangs.) Basically, he wants me to homebrew a tower shield for him and I was a bit stumped at the time so the smith said he would work on it.

Since armor is a precious commodity in this edition I can't just make a shield with a higher bonus, unless it gives disadvantage on attacks or something like that. What I've come up with is that a tower shield can be used as a normal shield, but you can use your action (thus giving up attacks) to set it in front of you and get 3/4 cover against enemies in front of you.

Would that be balanced for an item that costs 30-50 gold?

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 08:15 AM
Of course it's not a simulation, thankfully.

That still doesn't mean that the stupid will grow up to be better wizards than the smart just by reading real hard for long enough... Or that a naturally athletic person isn't a better long jumper or high jumper untrained than some old haunchy nag who does box jumps everyday...or that a squatty, fugly person who "don't talk so good" will be more persuasive than an attractive, glib person just because the person who looks like a dog read "how to win friends and influence people"

You are still working it as a simulation game though.

In 5e the less intelligent mage could be better at Wizarding than the note intelligent wizard.

Look at V, smart as holy hell and had power in spades. But V was a blaster and a less intelligent creature ended up showing V how stupid shir was acting.

You are injecting reality into the fantasy game. There is no real reason training can't trump inate talent.

Someone with the 30 strength could lose a wrestling match to a 18 strength person because that weaker wrestler (greek wrestling...) just knew how to wrestle better and different techniques that nulify the strength difference. If they had the same strength then the one who had the better training would win all that much more.

Theodoxus
2014-11-26, 08:40 AM
3. Houseruled Bow Mastery feat to grant similar bonuses as Crossbow Mastery.

You do realize that Crossbow Expert, at least the 2nd point of not suffering disadvantage, applies to all ranged attacks, not just crossbows. Since bows don't have the loading feature, and can't be used one handed, I'm curious what features you cooked into the Bow Expert that makes it worth taking.

Theodoxus
2014-11-26, 09:35 AM

I've been adding specific skill Expertise to magic items. A dagger that grants Expertise in Medicine, a Greatsword that grants it in Intimidate, etc.

I'll probably build an item for every skill - if the campaign gets to 20, I have no problem with a player having +22 to a specific skill or 3, that aren't rogues or bards.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 09:43 AM
I've been adding specific skill Expertise to magic items. A dagger that grants Expertise in Medicine, a Greatsword that grants it in Intimidate, etc.

I'll probably build an item for every skill - if the campaign gets to 20, I have no problem with a player having +22 to a specific skill or 3, that aren't rogues or bards.

First... Lol healing shiv...

But really these don't need to be magic! You could easily make these non magical abilities and it works right into the game.

You don't need to default all cool things to magic :)

(Totally want to use this idea for future stuff btw! I love the idea of Weapon Expertise!)

odigity
2014-11-26, 11:05 AM
(Totally want to use this idea for future stuff btw! I love the idea of Weapon Expertise!)

Oooh! A weapon that gives you a bonus equal to half your proficiency bonus! That way the +1 sword you found in your formative years doesn't need to get upgraded, you just get better with it.

Dalebert
2014-11-26, 11:07 AM
I'm curious if they're going to release any further rules about doing non-lethal or subdual damage. They only have the one option right now which involves bringing them close to zero and then using a melee attack to knock them out.

In the meantime, I'm inclined to let anyone do non-lethal damage by cutting any damage they do in half, and that includes spells. It would be the equivalent of the Merciful Spell feat but with a price (half your damage). It essentially just kind of implies you're pulling your punches, so to speak, so as not to break any bones and what not but just inflict a lot of pain and bruising which all heals fairly quickly.

JoeJ
2014-11-26, 11:21 AM
I'm curious if they're going to release any further rules about doing non-lethal or subdual damage. They only have the one option right now which involves bringing them close to zero and then using a melee attack to knock them out.

In the meantime, I'm inclined to let anyone do non-lethal damage by cutting any damage they do in half, and that includes spells. It would be the equivalent of the Merciful Spell feat but with a price (half your damage). It essentially just kind of implies you're pulling your punches, so to speak, so as not to break any bones and what not but just inflict a lot of pain and bruising which all heals fairly quickly.

If you make it so that non-lethal attacks do less damage they will almost never be used. With the existing rule there's no difference in effectiveness between lethal and non-lethal damage which, first of all, encourages PCs to take prisoners. As a DM I want to encourage that because it gives me a mouthpiece to provide important information to the party. And if things go terribly wrong, the current rules give me an easy way to turn a TPK into a TP Captured.

Also, I really like the existing rule because it matches a standard feature of cinematic action, where knocking an enemy out is as easy as killing them.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 12:31 PM
Oooh! A weapon that gives you a bonus equal to half your proficiency bonus! That way the +1 sword you found in your formative years doesn't need to get upgraded, you just get better with it.

I meant more that weapons can give expertise to skills without being magical.

Picks and Axes could give Expertise when you use Athletics to climb (so you don't fall and stuff).

So if you want to climb a smooth wall you run up it and you strike your Axe into it and push off (bringing said Axe with you) and run some more, repeating said process.

Duel wielding battle axes to climb up a wall is awesome.

Edit:

But perhaps all magic weapons should just give half prof bonus? I do like that...

Dalebert
2014-11-26, 12:49 PM
Duel wielding battle axes to climb up a wall is awesome.

It would be awesome, but yikes. Those things would be worthless for combat until you spent a couple hours on them with a whetstone.

If you make it so that non-lethal attacks do less damage they will almost never be used.

It's just bugging me that there is currently no straight-forward method other than by melee. I guess specific spells for that purpose would be nice though I don't currently know of any. A homebrew cantrip might fit the bill nicely. It would fit well with all the other diverse side effects of various direct attack cantrips.

Also, I really like the existing rule because it matches a standard feature of cinematic action, where knocking an enemy out is as easy as killing them.

I guess that is a nice cinematic thing even though it's so completely unrealistic and I always kind of groan when I see them do that in movies. Most of the time, if you actually hit someone in the head hard enough to knock them out, there's a high chance of them either not waking up at all, or having a concussion and potential for brain damage without rapid medical treatment. But then here I am arguing for the same cinematic effect for all attacks. :)

JoeJ
2014-11-26, 01:05 PM
I guess that is a nice cinematic thing even though it's so completely unrealistic and I always kind of groan when I see them do that in movies. Most of the time, if you actually hit someone in the head hard enough to knock them out, there's a high chance of them either not waking up at all, or having a concussion and potential for brain damage without rapid medical treatment. But then here I am arguing for the same cinematic effect for all attacks. :)

Absolutely unrealistic, no question about that. However, it has two gigantic advantages for storytelling:

1) It lets the heroes stay heroic by not killing a bunch of mooks who are just doing their jobs.

2) It makes it much easier for the heroes to be put in a position where they're the underdogs: just have them get captured the first time they try to go after the BBEG.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 01:07 PM
It would be awesome, but yikes. Those things would be worthless for combat until you spent a couple hours on them with a whetstone.

In the real world, yes maybe depending on how you look at it, however d&d isn't the real world.

And really at most it would change their weapon damage type from Slashing to Bludgeoning. Most splitting mauls I know aren't super sharp and they still split wood just fine, one would think an Axe could still split heads even if it wasn't sharp

odigity
2014-11-26, 01:58 PM
I meant more that weapons can give expertise to skills without being magical.

Picks and Axes could give Expertise when you use Athletics to climb (so you don't fall and stuff).

So if you want to climb a smooth wall you run up it and you strike your Axe into it and push off (bringing said Axe with you) and run some more, repeating said process.

That's a pretty fun idea, combining usefull but not overpowered abilities with matching fluff. The final result is very flavorful.

That's a neat rule for parties that like the challenge of realism. If you don't start pulling your punches soon enough, you risk an unexpected crit and accidentally killing the guy. If you start early to be super-careful, it takes extra effort.

It's just bugging me that there is currently no straight-forward method other than by melee. I guess specific spells for that purpose would be nice though I don't currently know of any. A homebrew cantrip might fit the bill nicely. It would fit well with all the other diverse side effects of various direct attack cantrips.

That's a good point. Does seem like an underserved niche.

A knockout spell would still have to be costed like a save-or-die, since it does give you the ability to (effectively) coup-de-grace them afterwards. No lowering the spell level just because they fall unconcsious instead of die right away.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 02:49 PM
That's a pretty fun idea, combining usefull but not overpowered abilities with matching fluff. The final result is very flavorful.

That's a neat rule for parties that like the challenge of realism. If you don't start pulling your punches soon enough, you risk an unexpected crit and accidentally killing the guy. If you start early to be super-careful, it takes extra effort.

That's a good point. Does seem like an underserved niche.

A knockout spell would still have to be costed like a save-or-die, since it does give you the ability to (effectively) coup-de-grace them afterwards. No lowering the spell level just because they fall unconcsious instead of die right away.

The main knock out spell is sleep, it is not only a save or die type but balanced by HP.

Hmmm...

A nonmagical way to KO someone...

Athletics versus Athletics or Acrobatics. If you win then roll xd6 where x is your strength modifier. If the target has that many HP or less they are put to sleep...

I'm sure there is a way to make this streamlined without resorting to AC. I'm thinking this is when the protagonist sneaks up on someone and breaks their neck or put them in a sleeper hold...

odigity
2014-11-26, 03:02 PM
The main knock out spell is sleep, it is not only a save or die type but balanced by HP.

Oops. Of course, sleep.

It's not often I get to participate in a multi-person brain fart. It somehow seems less embarassing.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 03:05 PM
Oops. Of course, sleep.

It's not often I get to participate in a multi-person brain fart. It somehow seems less embarassing.

Meh, no worries.

But I think you could actually make an entire system based around sleep's mechanics in order to make a real wrestling/grappling/brawling/fighting system.

Greylind
2014-11-26, 03:25 PM
My houserules:

1) Free feat at 1st level. This has worked out pretty well, only one person took variant human to get a second feat, and it suited flavor more than direct bonuses.
2) New characters and replacement characters start out at lowest level for the party tier (1st to 4th level party? 1st level new char. Etc.)

Pretty much everything else is RAWAI ("If there's more than one way in the English language to interpret a rule, and one of those is a tortured stretch to justify cheese-monkey wankery, we use the other way").

Dalebert
2014-11-26, 03:34 PM
1) Free feat at 1st level.

I'm surprised that's not in the RAW, actually. It would be an opportunity for a little more variety amongst characters. As it is, I feel like this game is hurting for that. And feats are better, yes, and also harder to get, but I think they made them a little too difficult to get. This would address that fairly well, I think.

Baptor
2014-11-27, 12:26 AM

Here are our house rules thus far, subject to change (especially when we see the DMG)

1. There is only one kind of healing potion. It restores 50% of your maximum hit points as a bonus action. Once you drink a healing potion, you can't drink another until after a short rest.*

2. Magic weapons and armor do not receive the stock enhancement bonuses (see my published thread on this matter). Instead, magic weapons are at "+0" and may or may not have other powers. (this may change)

3. Casters can swap out cantrips when they level up.

4. Critical strikes deal a straight up x2 damage (all bonuses factored in).

5. Concentration effects are maintained for as long as you can hold the concentration or until a short rest. This rule is to avoid tedious bookkeeping. As best as possible, all duration types are being converted from real-time (rounds, minutes, hours) into the following three formats: encounter, short rest, long rest. This is to avoid tedious bookkeeping.

6. Anyone can make magic items. For single shot items like potions and scrolls, I use the Pathfinder magic item creation rules and gold costs. For permanent items, you have to do quests and get reagents and stuff.

7. I am strict on teleport-on-demand, but very lenient with Fey Crossroads. Essentially my PC's travel at the speed of plot. If they need to get there fast, hey look, a Crossroads! (Not exactly a houserule I guess.)

8. It's hard to die, but death is serious. I give characters plenty of chances to live through a failed combat, not unlike James Bond. Should fate deal a cruel blow and kill one faster than I can think, there are ways to come back even then (think the Crow), but I usually don't allow them to just hire a priest to do it.

i think that's it?

*I know some people are going to freak at this one, but it works just fine for us. Really it does. :smallcool:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-27, 10:46 AM
5. Concentration effects are maintained for as long as you can hold the concentration or until a short rest. This rule is to avoid tedious bookkeeping.

Tedious book keeping? Figuring out when you lose a spell is the least tedious part of being a caster.

Concentration is one of the few rules that help non-casters out in this game and you are throwing it away...

Seriously if someone has a problem with writing down that their spell ended due to concentration rules, anything outside Champion Fighter isn't for you.

Is it tedious book keeping to remember when rages end? How about how many superiority dice you have?

Taking away concentration is getting awfully close to going back to 3.5.

Dalebert
2014-11-27, 11:41 AM
5. Concentration effects are maintained for as long as you can hold the concentration or until a short rest. This rule is to avoid tedious bookkeeping.

I didn't understand the rule at first except that he was making concentration ends with a short rest when it normally doesn't. But if you're saying that people can now keep multiple concentrate spells going at once, then I have to agree with Baptor that you're potentially breaking a serious balancing point in the game. As a caster I hate it. I really do, but I understand why it's there. It's not tedious at all since you can only have one going at a time. You can keep up with that in your head easily enough.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-27, 12:27 PM
I didn't understand the rule at first except that he was making concentration ends with a short rest when it normally doesn't. But if you're saying that people can now keep multiple concentrate spells going at once, then I have to agree with Baptor that you're potentially breaking a serious balancing point in the game. As a caster I hate it. I really do, but I understand why it's there. It's not tedious at all since you can only have one going at a time. You can keep up with that in your head easily enough.

It makes concentration spells not be dispelled by damage.

Baptor
2014-11-27, 03:08 PM
Tedious book keeping? Figuring out when you lose a spell is the least tedious part of being a caster.

Concentration is one of the few rules that help non-casters out in this game and you are throwing it away...

Seriously if someone has a problem with writing down that their spell ended due to concentration rules, anything outside Champion Fighter isn't for you.

Is it tedious book keeping to remember when rages end? How about how many superiority dice you have?

Whoa! That's not what I meant! We are not getting rid of concentration! :smalleek:

I think you really misunderstood me OR I really miscommunicated. :smallconfused: In any event I apologize. Let me explain how this works.

We are still using concentration rules. Only one concentration spell can be active at any given time. Period.

What we have changed is the duration. In my opinion, you should be able to have the spell up for as long as you concentrate upon it. So for example a protection spell that has a duration of (Concentration - 10 minutes) now has a duration of (Concentration - until a short rest).

If you cast another Concentration spell, the current one ends. If you get hit and fail your check, the spell ends. Otherwise, the spell lasts until you take a short rest, then it ends.

We just don't want to keep up with whether 10 minutes have passed in game or 5. It's easier to just say "until your next short rest."

So far we've had no issues, but I haven't read every single spell. If there are concentration spells that last only a few rounds, then I'd rule those expire after the combat is over. If there are concentration spells that last all day, I'd let them run til the next long rest.

Bottom line is we are trying to measure as much as we can in the following time increments: encounter, short rest, long rest. As best we can, we are converting arbitrary duration into ones that fit this model across the board.

We are NOT going back to 3.5. That was until now our favorite edition but 5e fixes everything we disliked about 3.5, including the thousands buffed wizard and endless bookkeeping. (I have edited the original post to be more clear.)

Oscredwin
2014-11-27, 03:35 PM
What about concentration spells, like Hex when cast out of a 3 level or higher slot, that last much longer than "till the next short rest" (such as 8 or 24 hours)?

Baptor
2014-11-27, 03:40 PM
What about concentration spells, like Hex when cast out of a 3 level or higher slot, that last much longer than "till the next short rest" (such as 8 or 24 hours)?

Please see the third paragraph from the bottom of my last post. I have also since edited my original post for clarity.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-27, 05:40 PM
Please see the third paragraph from the bottom of my last post. I have also since edited my original post for clarity.

Probably on my end, that was about when I woke up (first or second time... Not sure) today, I don't have family around here so I don't celebrate Thanksgiving (it is quite fantastic not having to deal with all that stuff).

Dalebert
2014-11-27, 09:36 PM
So far we've had no issues, but I haven't read every single spell. If there are concentration spells that last only a few rounds, then I'd rule those expire after the combat is over. If there are concentration spells that last all day, I'd let them run til the next long rest.

They tend to have standard increments--one minute (essentially one combat), 10 mins, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours. So yeah, you need to read them but it sounds like the way you're handling it is not game-breaking. You're not going to make Hex go away on a short rest presumably once it's meant to last 8 hours and you're not going to let 1 minute spells like Mirror Image stay up for the next combat since it's clearly not intended to. For clarity, I would just say that 10 minutes or 1 hour durations get changed to "until you rest". That way 1 min last for only one combat and 8 hours or 24 hours continue through the short rest.

Baptor
2014-11-27, 11:28 PM
For clarity, I would just say that 10 minutes or 1 hour durations get changed to "until you rest". That way 1 min last for only one combat and 8 hours or 24 hours continue through the short rest.

That's essentially how we handle it.

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-28, 10:24 AM

The point being that the DC which currently described "nearly impossible" is absolutely accurate within the games rules. For any PC, such an activity is literally on the boundaries of impossible without outside assistance. By expanding proficiency bonuses we are giving lie to that terminology for no particular reason, now it would just be a DC of 36 that is actually nearly impossible.

Delusion
2014-11-28, 11:54 AM
I haven't had chance to play yet, and I will probably rn the first campaign without houserules at all, but I have been thinking about either using 3d6 when rolling for skills instead of d20 or just doubling the profiency bonus for skills (as has been suggested her already).

McBars
2014-11-28, 12:58 PM
... or just doubling the profiency bonus for skills (as has been suggested her already).

See doubling the proficiency bonus is gonna skew rolls way too high.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-28, 07:15 PM
Ok, so I got a rough draft on a few Fighter ToB Martial Archetypes written up.

For a nonmagical transformation effect I have the following and I would like to see how it fairs against other level 18-20 class features (yes the moon druid wins, I know I know).

Essentially if the DM said you could have any level 18 ability, would this be a choice you would consider?

Level 18

*Insert Cool Name*: Your movements become so extreme that as a bonus action your form copies that a Fire or Lightning elemental for 1 hour (Max CR is 6).

You retain all class and racial abilities. You gain the HP from the crearure's Con Mod of the elemental you choose as temp HP (need to reword this...Con * CR is not what I thought it would be). You also gain the following from the elemental.

Damage Resistance, Damage Immunity, Condition Immunities, Senses, Form Ability, Susceptibilities, and Actions.

You may end this ability at anytime as part of another action. If you have any of the same abilities as the elemental you may choose the better to use.

I want this to be awesome but keep up with other abilities. Also what should be the duration for this ability? I was thinking 1 hour but maybe something variable could work?

Baptor
2014-11-30, 12:27 AM
I am considering using wealth scores (poor, middle class, affluent, rich, etc) from d20 Modern instead of using actual money. Now that there is no magic item economy, there is little reason to horde money.

Dalebert
2014-11-30, 12:33 PM
Getting reduced to 0 HP makes you lose all remaining HD to spend on healing during a short rest. (I need this in order for this mechanic to be believable to me. The way I'm making sense of it is based on the idea that your wounds are fairly minor up to that point and are just debilitating until you rest. If you're hurt to the point of almost dying, you ain't gonna rest that crap away!) Added to my OP.

Baptor
2014-12-01, 11:23 PM
Adding to my OP some more stuff I just thought of.

If you make enough death saves to stabilize, you can spend any amount of healing dice (but only at this point) and get back up, Neo style. (main reason: only two players, TPK is way too easy)

We are probably going to adopt the "healing surges" optional rule in the DMG I've heard about. I love the concept of healing dice and I am exploiting the heck out of that mechanic.

I am considering doing away with gold and going to a wealth score (a la modern d20). Did I already post this?

We are considering going over to the "skills that make sense for you" rule. Though I'm worried about it messing over rogues and so I'll need the DMG first.

MReav
2014-12-02, 12:11 AM
Here are some ideas I'm bouncing around:

Focuses like staffs and rods can be used as quarterstaves and clubs respectively.

If you are trying to knock someone out, there are a number of limitations.

In melee:
1. If you deal Slashing or Piercing that is not resisted or regenerated, you can take Disadvantage to your attack, and if it hits, you can knock the opponent out without worrying about Instant Death.

2. You can attack normally with a Slashing or Piercing weapon and if you deal less damage than the amount to cause Instant Death, the opponent is now dying, but you or an ally can stabilize them. Damage sufficient to cause Instant Death still applies.

3. You can knock someone out without any special actions if you are dealing Bludgeoning damage*, if the opponent has Resistance to Slashing or Piercing (relevant to your attack), or if the creature has Regeneration.

4. You can pommel strike your opponents for 1D4 + Str bludgeoning, but you cannot apply any Reach modifiers.

Ranged:

1. If you deal Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning that is not resisted or regenerated, you can take Disadvantage to your attack, and if it hits, you can knock the opponent out without worrying about Instant Death.

2. You can attack normally with a ranged Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning weapon and if you deal less damage than the amount to cause Instant Death, the opponent is now dying, but you or an ally can stabilize them. Damage sufficient to cause Instant Death still applies.

3. You can knock someone out without any special actions if the opponent has Resistance to Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning (relevant to your attack), or if the creature has Regeneration.

Spells:

1. You can knock someone out if the attack deals Psychic, Radiant, Necrotic damage or if the attack deals single/multitarget (but not Area of Effect) Force Damage.

2. You can attack normally and if the damage is not enough to cause Instant Death, you can stabilize the victim.

*though if you have any rules about broken limbs, they would apply.

odigity
2014-12-02, 11:44 AM
Getting reduced to 0 HP makes you lose all remaining HD to spend on healing during a short rest. (I need this in order for this mechanic to be believable to me. The way I'm making sense of it is based on the idea that your wounds are fairly minor up to that point and are just debilitating until you rest. If you're hurt to the point of almost dying, you ain't gonna rest that crap away!) Added to my OP.

That would make abilities that prevent you from getting to 0hp in the first place a lot more valuable. I mean, at lvl 20 you've got 20HD to spend during the day which is extremely valuable, and which the game is balanced on the assumption that chars are relying upon it heavily as the primary source of healing.

So, temp HP, in-combat healing, damage resistance, etc, all become more important with your house rule, and HD almost worthless, because you can't count on it being there. Combat is chaotic, and anyone could get dropped to 0hp through a quick series of unfortunate events.

If you are trying to knock someone out, there are a number of limitations.

If you're going to get that deep into detail of special cases for avoiding instant death to someone you want to take alive, I'd give players the free option to convert crits into normal hits. Fluff-wise, you see the artery exposed, but go for the torso as usual instead because you don't want to instakill the dude.

However, while it's fun to dig deep into house ruling for realism and sophistication, it's annoying to have to remember and explain lots of house rules. My first house rule would be don't do it unless it's simple and everyone really wants it.

Gnomes2169
2014-12-03, 12:41 PM
Since I'm always the DM, these are things that I've decided to give my players/ things I would love to have myself.

-Resilient feat for free. It really does just feel like a feat tax to me, and it doesn't seem to break the game's math to make your characters slightly more resilient in a single saving throw.

-Champion subclass for fighters does not exist. Instead, select features are given to the base chasis:
--Remarkable Athlete is a level 1 fighter ability. It really doesn't fit any higher.
--Improved critical (19-20) is a level 9 ability. Superior critical (18-20) does not show up.
--Aditional fighting style is a level 13 ability.
--Survivor no longer shows up.

-Fighter's Indomidable functions like Legendary Resistance.

-Beastmaster Ranger does not have to command their animal companion every round. Instead, they use their action to give their companion a command and then their companion follows that command to the best of their ability until the task is completed, they die, or an hour has passed.

-Beastmaster ranger also adds 4*His ranger level to his companion's HP, instead of taking the better of the beast's HP or 4*His level.

-Druid has to revert to humanoid shape before they can wild shape again.

-Paladins are awesome forever (not a houserule, just an observation).

Dalebert
2014-12-03, 01:04 PM
That would make abilities that prevent you from getting to 0hp in the first place a lot more valuable. I mean, at lvl 20 you've got 20HD to spend during the day which is extremely valuable, and which the game is balanced on the assumption that chars are relying upon it heavily as the primary source of healing.

So, temp HP, in-combat healing, damage resistance, etc, all become more important with your house rule, and HD almost worthless, because you can't count on it being there. Combat is chaotic, and anyone could get dropped to 0hp through a quick series of unfortunate events.

Yeah, I actually saw another thread that made me re-think this. It's not that I want to nerf people or make the game harder, but the whole healing damage from a short rest thing just pushed the limits of my ability to suspend disbelief even further than the massive amount of healing that a full night's rest does even in previous editions. It's okay though. I just needed story tools to explain this away. I'm just going to imagine that, on higher level characters and monsters with a lot of HP, most wounds are superficial and temporarily debilitating. You hurt a lot and slow down a bit and it's easier to land that blow that finally downs you. And whether that final blow was a truly critical wound that will kill you quickly is kind of retconned based on whether you later manage to stabilize.

TripleD
2014-12-03, 01:13 PM
Swap the "Circle of the Land" ability to calm animals/plants with "Circle of the Moon" ability to transform into elementals (they become the sole exception to the CR limit).

Not only does it balance the two out, but it also fits more thematically. Why wouldn't the Dr.Doolittle feature go to the subclass devoted to getting you in touch with your animal nature? And whose bright idea was it to leave "literally turns into dirt" out of Circle of the Land.

MadGrady
2014-12-03, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I actually saw another thread that made me re-think this. It's not that I want to nerf people or make the game harder, but the whole healing damage from a short rest thing just pushed the limits of my ability to suspend disbelief even further than the massive amount of healing that a full night's rest does even in previous editions. It's okay though. I just needed story tools to explain this away. I'm just going to imagine that, on higher level characters and monsters with a lot of HP, most wounds are superficial and temporarily debilitating. You hurt a lot and slow down a bit and it's easier to land that blow that finally downs you. And whether that final blow was a truly critical wound that will kill you quickly is kind of retconned based on whether you later manage to stabilize.

I will say, though, that HP is meerly a representation of how hard you are to kill. Part of this come from exhaustion and the like - as you fight, you grow tired, and are easier to harm. A full nights rest resets this.

Of course if you have a limb cut off, and wake up the next day completely fine (albeit missing an arm - but the hole is healed up and not even a scar is left) I will completely align with what you say lol

Gnomes2169
2014-12-03, 03:04 PM
Oh, other things:

-Dragonborn's breath weapon recharges just like a half dragon's (roll 1d6 while it's on cooldown, on a 5 or 6 it is ready to be used again).

-The crafting rules. All of them. Just... Just no.

TripleD
2014-12-03, 11:34 PM
-Dragonborn's breath weapon recharges just like a half dragon's (roll 1d6 while it's on cooldown, on a 5 or 6 it is ready to be used again..

Mind if I ask what the logic is behind this? It seems like an extra layer of complexity (more dice rolls) for mostly the same effect (rarely more than one breath attack per encounter) since most encounters are followed by a short or long rest.

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-04, 12:05 AM
The biggest houserule we use was mentioned in the Coup de Grace thread, but I'll put it in here because I like it:

- When reduced to 0 or less HP, the character in question (whether a player or NPC) does not bleed out or die automatically, unless they fail to receive any kind of medical aid for 30 minutes game time (which is really just an arbitrarily long time period to ensure it would never happen in combat, and that even out of combat time exists to address it if desired). That way we don't "accidentally" kill NPCs (we are basically assumed to instead exercise our option to KO them at 0 HP, as are they), and it provides a small safety net so PCs don't expire quite so randomly.
- Coup de Grace on a helpless opponent (including one who is asleep or unconscious) causes them to die instantly*

(*with possible exceptions? DM fiat can always occur, but hasn't yet)

That makes it so that running off on your own will still get you killed, but when acting as a group, as long as we either don't let a companion stay downed next to hostiles / within range of hostiles, and / or present a more credible threat to them which causes them to prioritize us, the active guys, over the unconscious guy, and don't abandon people, we can control our own destiny to an extent and get everyone out of there alive. Note that NPCs have personalities too, and if a PC was a real **** to the NPCs, it is not only possible but likely they'll be prioritizing finishing him off vs attacking someone else still up, regardless of threat level assessments, so it's not a "do what you want" card, just a "random crits won't kill you, just remove you from the fight, idiocy is what will kill you" card.

We also play in a naval campaign, so obviously there are *tons* of house rules related to ship combat, maneuverability, storage capacity, and lots more, but those are not modifications of the rules but rather additions to them.

Gnomes2169
2014-12-04, 02:19 AM
Mind if I ask what the logic is behind this? It seems like an extra layer of complexity (more dice rolls) for mostly the same effect (rarely more than one breath attack per encounter) since most encounters are followed by a short or long rest.

Actually, from what I've seen most encounters aren't being followed by rests (usong standard length rests here), and it gives the breath weapon more potential uses/ round, making it a slightly less useless ability. 2 to 5d6 once/ 1 to 3 encounters is a lot worse than typically twice/ encounter (most non-easy encounters are supposed to last at least 4 rounds, after all). Plus, it gives the players something to get excited about rolling for, since it's regaining the use of an ability that they just expended and might be able to use again.

Fwiffo86
2014-12-04, 09:43 AM
- When reduced to 0 or less HP, the character in question (whether a player or NPC) does not bleed out or die automatically, unless they fail to receive any kind of medical aid for 30 minutes game time (which is really just an arbitrarily long time period to ensure it would never happen in combat, and that even out of combat time exists to address it if desired). That way we don't "accidentally" kill NPCs (we are basically assumed to instead exercise our option to KO them at 0 HP, as are they), and it provides a small safety net so PCs don't expire quite so randomly.

Why is this necessary? Players should have the forethought to restrain their attacks so they don't "accidentally" kill a specific NPC. That is on them, and shouldn't be the job of the DM to make a houserule for their inability to control themselves.

...[snipped for space]... just a "random crits won't kill you, just remove you from the fight, idiocy is what will kill you" card.

The likely hood of a random crit killing you decreases almost exponentially per level. In order to actually die from a crit you have to take your entire HP pool's max worth of damage plus any left over HP you actually have.

I am totally on board with the Coup de grace insta killing. But I see no reason people who are critically wounded (0 hp) get an arbitrary 30 minute to linger free from the chance of death.

Realism aside, being at 0 hp should be scary. Scary enough that players want to avoid it at all costs. Giving them 30 minutes game time to essentially get a heal does not seem like a good idea to me.

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-04, 10:15 AM
Why is this necessary? Players should have the forethought to restrain their attacks so they don't "accidentally" kill a specific NPC. That is on them, and shouldn't be the job of the DM to make a houserule for their inability to control themselves.

The likely hood of a random crit killing you decreases almost exponentially per level. In order to actually die from a crit you have to take your entire HP pool's max worth of damage plus any left over HP you actually have.

I am totally on board with the Coup de grace insta killing. But I see no reason people who are critically wounded (0 hp) get an arbitrary 30 minute to linger free from the chance of death.

Realism aside, being at 0 hp should be scary. Scary enough that players want to avoid it at all costs. Giving them 30 minutes game time to essentially get a heal does not seem like a good idea to me.

In terms of being necessary, it's not- but we find it more tactically interesting. When you actually have to make a choice about target prioritization (well, this guy is still up and slinging damage at me, but that guy was a *real* pain, so I'd like to ensure he doesn't pop back up with any healing spells or anything), and about overall priorities (it sure would be great if this guy was available for questioning, but at the same time, if he gets brought back up, it will be difficult to knock him back down again / prevent him from escaping, so do I coup de grace him or not?), it makes for a more compelling combat experience imho. Also it means fleeing from a battle is tricky, because you want to down permanently as many of them as possible before you do, but if you need to flee, you likely aren't in a position to take your time doing it, so you need to pick your priorities there as well. It makes it so if we want to try to get info out of someone we don't have to say "If I knock him to 0 HP I want to exercise my choice to knock him out" over and over, and it makes it so that if someone is down and you want them to stay down, it's on you to ensure that happens, which means getting adjacent to them and using your action to coup de grace. It's also more consistent- I prefer it when one set of rules applies to all characters in a game, it feels much more "fair" to me and helps immersion vs the PCs are special rules.

We prefer "0" to "exponentially decreases".

Being at 0 HP *is* scary. All it takes is one enemy action at that point and your character is utterly gone. No one wants to be put in a position where they can't take actions or contribute to the fight, and one enemy action ends their character. But at least it requires an enemy action (or for you to be far away from everyone) for your character to be wiped out, and isn't based on the completely random death rolls, where it's quite literally a 50/50 shot as to whether or not you live. Basically, we've eliminated the instant death (which is exponentially more unlikely per level anyway, as you said), the death saving throws (so if you die it's based on active actions of the enemy or your idiocy in being away from people, not due to rolling unfavorably), and the chance to stabilize (instead of recovering in 1d4 hours, you guaranteed die in 30 minutes). In some ways, it's much more harsh- while scouting, get caught in a trap and knocked down, and it takes your party 30 minutes to get to you? Zero chance of survival. Enemies, instead of needing to wipe out your entire HP pool in one hit to kill you (which as you said is exponentially more unlikely per level), just need one action. But again, it makes (for us) our actions feel more meaningful, as we're in charge of who lives and who dies through our actions (as are our enemies through theirs), not random rolls of the dice.

Fwiffo86
2014-12-04, 10:29 AM
Fair enough for me. I hope it works well for you guys. Thank you for the clarification.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-04, 05:56 PM
I like using that 0hp doesn't knock you out but you have to make death saving throws. Still working on a final system for it but it will allow for 0 HP to mean critically wounded instead of KO.

If you are hit and fail your third save (which a hit is 2 fails) the attacker can decide to KO you or Kill you.

This way you don't have the KO - Heal - KO conga line that messes with people.

Dalebert
2014-12-11, 06:21 PM
All magic staves, rods, and wands double as spellcasting focuses for classes that can use those types. I haven't checked the DMG so this might already be in there. Maybe it's not even a house rule.

I feel like sorcerers need a little love but want feedback:

1) It bugs the heck outta me that sorcerers know fewer spells than a bard when bards get so many other class features and sorcerers are all about casting spells. I'm inclined to use the bard chart for their # spells known.

2) Similar to the wizard ability to recover half their level worth of spell slots, once during a short rest, a sorcerer can recover half their max spell points, rounded up. This ability is renewed after a long rest.

3) To remove redundancy, the capstone of a sorcerer should be something else. I was thinking they could reduce the point cost of one of their metamagic effects by one, which may make the cost zero. Seems like this might stack a little too well with the previous feature though.

Game-breaking?

Feldarove
2014-12-11, 09:03 PM
1) when rolling hit points, roll, if you like it take it, if not the DM rolls for you(If I am dm-ing I usually hide my roll and say its something decent if I roll crappy) - Nothing makes you want to throw your character out more than gaining 1 HP when you level.

2) We vote at the end of the session of who played their character the best, like following your Bonds and Flaws, etc. (Hidden vote, though the responses of votes usually give us away). Winner gets inspiration for next session.

3) Unspoken, but you stand up when you Crit, because its awesome.

Kryx
2014-12-12, 05:44 AM
I feel like sorcerers need a little love but want feedback:

1) It bugs the heck outta me that sorcerers know fewer spells than a bard when bards get so many other class features and sorcerers are all about casting spells. I'm inclined to use the bard chart for their # spells known.

2) Similar to the wizard ability to recover half their level worth of spell slots, once during a short rest, a sorcerer can recover half their max spell points, rounded up. This ability is renewed after a long rest.

3) To remove redundancy, the capstone of a sorcerer should be something else. I was thinking they could reduce the point cost of one of their metamagic effects by one, which may make the cost zero. Seems like this might stack a little too well with the previous feature though.

Game-breaking?

I made a Sorcerer Balance (Buffs) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?387885-Sorcerer-Balance-(Buffs)) thread that incorporates your #2 idea with some of my ideas (including a fix for #1).

I think #1 should happen in some form - I chose to do it via Sorcerer Origin. #2 may be a bit OP, I'm unsure. Always round down though.

Hopefully that thread will allow more eyes to see the ideas so we can receive feedback. :)

Dalebert
2014-12-12, 09:34 AM
Always round down though.

Why do you say that? The book seems to generally round up as it does in the case of the ability that inspired this:

The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded
up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

And if the sorcerer exchanged his points for spells, he would still get less spells back than a wizard this way.

Hopefully that thread will allow more eyes to see the ideas so we can receive feedback. :)

Thanks! I didn't know that thread existed. I like your idea of giving specific spells according to their origin instead of just bumping up # spells known. Feels more thematic and might be a good compromise.

Make sure that while Phantom Steed or Unseen Servant is being used those spell slots can't be refreshed. I'm AFB but I think those spells are low enough to be refreshed.

How do you "refresh" a spell slot?