PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Craft, Aid another and stacking rule + Unseen Crafter.

Gray Warden
2014-11-25, 02:54 PM
Hello!

As in the title, I was wondering if the Aid another +2 bonus on a Craft check made by multiple helper actually stacks.

The Player's handbook says, in the section about Aid another, that usually help isn't useful, but sometimes, on particular skill checks, it is. Examples: it's useless on a Spot check, because I can't help someone to "see better" (maximum Aid another bonus: +0); on a Heal check, an assistant could be useful, but a second could be in the way (maximum Aid another bonus: +2); on a Craft check? It seems to me that counts the rule "the more, the better", so the bonus given by each assistant (who beats the CD 10 Craft check) stacks. But how many assistants? Your answers will be: "Let the DM choose". Ok, but there's a problem, my DM isn't very expert about crafting skill and Aid another on skill checks, so I'm asking you, is there a well known method to adjust the maximum number of assistants on the item to be built (in my case, weapons in the Player's handbook)?

Actually, around the internet it seems that not only there's not an answer, but also that nobody has ever made such a question. I've just found smart guys who suggest to craft/buy a wondrous item with Unseen Craft at will, cast it all day, make them aid you on a Craft check and then pump the CD of the check to infinity in order to build anything instantly. Now, I don't think this is roleplaying, I don't think it's play at all. My pg is a Gond cleric, he builds crossbows by background, he has max ranks on Craft(Weaponsmithing), and he can cast a maximum of 15 Unseen Crafters on level 4, and it's going to explode with levels. How can I use this wonderful spell and the legit Rapid crafting rule, without ruin the game neither with nonsense math nor unreasonably understimate my possibilities (like, use just one assistant, or not use Rapid crafting rule)?

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Troacctid
2014-11-25, 03:11 PM
It depends.

In order to aid another, you need to be able to plausibly help with the task. Let's say you're crafting a pot of soup. One unseen servant could peel the potatoes, another could chop the onions, and a third could clean the kitchen as you work. But if you run out of tasks to assign them, you won't be able to gain any additional benefit from subsequent servants. They all need to have something to do to make your job easier.

As the player, you should be thinking of ways that they can help. The DM should then approve them if he/she agrees that they make sense.