PDA

View Full Version : Need help reinforcing Rule of Cool with RAW

Dgrin
2014-11-25, 03:56 PM
So I was messing around with the old concept of playing the Hairy Spider (Fine Vermin for Monsters of Faerun). They were given LA +0, therefore they are available to choose as a player race (depending on GM, of course). The main thing that prevents it is the fact that it has Int -

Here's what Monster Manual says about vermin:

Vermin traits: Vermin possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in creature's entry),
- Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns and morale effects)

As I understand it, being mindless is the trait of Vermin type. So applying template such as Unseelie Fey, which changes its creature type to Fey, should eliminate that trait, and Int score should default to 10, as per usual rules when no Int adjustment is listed. That allows one to play Hairy Spider without Skitterhaunt Sentry Ooze shenanigans, not having any additional HD or LA.

Does that work by RAW? Or did I miss something?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 05:16 PM
Fiendish and Celestial set Int to 3 as well.

Dgrin
2014-11-25, 11:59 PM
Fiendish and Celestial set Int to 3 as well.

Both have LA +2, as far as I remember

frost890
2014-11-26, 12:12 AM
As I understand it, being mindless is the trait of Vermin type. So applying template such as Unseelie Fey, which changes its creature type to Fey, should eliminate that trait, and Int score should default to 10, as per usual rules when no Int adjustment is listed. That allows one to play Hairy Spider without Skitterhaunt Sentry Ooze shenanigans, not having any additional HD or LA.

Does that work by RAW? Or did I miss something?

Ok. First, Where did you get that the Int score would reset? Secound Normaly adding a template only changes the stats if it points it out. I do not have my books with me so I cant check but even animals with emplates have pritty low Int scores. Now if your GM will alow a spider as a PC chances are they will alow you to be spawned from a nature diety and grant you a higher Int for the nine hells of it. I know I would just to see how you deal with the town gaurds evry time you try and enter the city.

Dgrin
2014-11-26, 12:25 AM
Ok. First, Where did you get that the Int score would reset?

That is exactly the part I'm asking about. But it is analogous to Undead and their Con score: if your type trait turns your score into nonability, you lose that score. So, if you lose that trait, you should acquire ability score again, at least that's how I see it now. Hairy Spider has no Int modifiers (obviously), so I use default score, which is 10 for NPCs and one of their set as PCs

Secound Normaly adding a template only changes the stats if it points it out. I do not have my books with me so I cant check but even animals with emplates have pritty low Int scores.

Yes, templated animals have low Int scores, that's because their Int never was a nonability at the first place.

Now if your GM will alow a spider as a PC chances are they will alow you to be spawned from a nature diety and grant you a higher Int for the nine hells of it. I know I would just to see how you deal with the town gaurds evry time you try and enter the city.

I understand that I simply need to convince my GM into it but I want to know RAW ruling. Also, I'm Fine, screw that guards :smalltongue:

Inevitability
2014-11-26, 01:35 AM
I made a hairy spider once and had the same idea. I'm not sure if it'd work by RAW, though.

However, templated creatures keep the features of the original type, but the traits of the new type, right? That'd mean vermin traits (such as mindless) are, in fact, replaced.

I'd let it fly. A half-fey spider isn't too powerful anyway.