PDA

View Full Version : bard and ranger spells

Jewish_Joke
2007-03-25, 02:19 AM
I'm choosing the spell list for an epic bard/ranger... and yes, I am well aware of the fact that the character is "useless" without Epic Spellcasting.

I have access to the Spell Compendium and the PHB, and I am having difficulty picking between the Spell Compendium's "flashier" spells (such as hunter's mercy and listening lorecall), or the simple and to-the-point spells of the PHB (like grease and wind wall).

Suggestions?

HOO
2007-03-25, 09:26 AM
I'd say go with style. Style of play and the style of your charater. Choose spells that support him and improve his actions. Take advantage of your mobility if your are the only light armored person in the group. Or spells that help you to remain undetected or to detect dangers/foes yourself. Depending on the relation of ranger and bard levels your spell focus will change accordingly. Sly and supportive spells or green spells with some neat combat effects and small battle field control. Oh, I forgot that the ranger prepares spells.. (changed in my campaign to spontaneous casting like the bard) so just test some combinations

But generally it all depends on your role within the party and on the style of your campaign. Your class combination is something that most people would recommend and isn't considered to be very "powerful" (whatever that is). I've learned that's more rewarding for me to choose/cast spells that fit my character concept instead of choosing the must-have-1337-spells everbody has. Apropos everybody has: Although the Spell Compendium is allowed you might have trouble aquiring some scrolls or wands with SC spells. So it might be a better choice to learn some SC spells first and add core spells with scrolls and wands (with a bards Use Magic Device skill it should be no real problem).
I hope that helps...