PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New player Wizard/Bard multi class question

DarcyFinn
2014-11-25, 07:59 PM
I would like to be a Bard, but one that takes two levels as a Wizard with Divination as its arcane tradition so as to gain access to 'Portent'. This tradition feature looks really useful, and I think would also go along nicely with bardic inspiration. I would then also like to combine this with the Feat 'Lucky' to make what seems to me like a fun character who can change situations to their favour in a number of ways. (Think the forever lucky Domino from X-men). In essence a character for whom luck is often on their side and things often go their way, or at least not always the way the foe is expecting, but in a more subtle way than being the smartest or the strongest.

However, I am not sure what I would be losing as a Bard to take those two levels as a Wizard (or if its worth it). It looks like one 6th and 7th level spell slot, a total of +8 proficiency bonus, ability score improvement and Superior inspiration, would be lost. Does the playground think that this is too big a price to pay, or should I not worry at all? Any other ideas to make a similar character would be greatly appreciated.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster here...so please be kind. This will also be my first ever time building a character / playing D&D so advice would be great.

Ashrym
2014-11-25, 08:12 PM
You don't lose any spell slots because of the multi-class spell chart. Bards and wizards both give full progression. The proficiency bonus is based on total character level and remains +6 in the end.

The bard loses the feat and 20th level inspiration ability, and a couple of hit points.

Safety Sword
2014-11-25, 08:28 PM
The thing you "miss out on" is the earliest possible access to higher level spells that you know. Depending on when you take your Wizard levels it can be mildly inconvenient, or not. It's hardly likely to break your game.

However, it is usually better to always get the highest level spells as early as possible because they are generally "better" than the lower level spells.

This is the case when multiclassing out of any full caster class.