PDA

View Full Version : Prestige class for Shadowcaster?

Bad Wolf
2014-11-25, 08:03 PM
I'm playing a Shadowcaster, and I can't find any classes that it fits. Are there any good prestige classes that are good for it? I'm only going for a one level dip, for the 9th dead level.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-25, 08:43 PM
Shadow Adept from PGtF. Gets you three feats (Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Tenacious Magic) that apply to most of your mysteries and only requires one feat (Shadow Weave Magic) to enter.

These three feats make it so anyone trying to find you or your non-transmutation/evocation mysteries with divinations has to succeed on a caster level check (DC 11+your CL) to do so. And to dispel your mysteries, they need to beat DC 15+CL instead of the normal 11+CL for your non-transmutation/evocation mysteries. And you get +4 to overcome SR when not using transmutation or evocation mysteries.

The entry feat also gives you a +1 DC to enchantment, illusion, and necromancy mysteries (so, most of them), and +1 to beat SR with those schools, but you take -1 CL for transmutation and evocation, and lose the ability to cast mysteries with the light descriptor.

Werephilosopher
2014-11-25, 09:19 PM
Shadow Adept from PGtF. Gets you three feats (Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Tenacious Magic) that apply to most of your mysteries and only requires one feat (Shadow Weave Magic) to enter.

This will require DM permission, as Shadowcaster doesn't fulfill Shadow Adept's spellcasting prerequisite. However it is a very nice fit, thematically and mechanically.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-25, 10:26 PM
This will require DM permission, as Shadowcaster doesn't fulfill Shadow Adept's spellcasting prerequisite. However it is a very nice fit, thematically and mechanically.

Only because it was written before there were other magic systems. We have to take that sort of thing into consideration: when the class was written, saying "arcane or divine spellcasting" was the same thing as saying "spellcasting", which would allow the shadowcaster to qualify via its special qualification text. Yes, it requires DM approval, but honestly it's such a tiny stretch that I don't see why anyone would say no.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 10:38 PM
Actually, a Shadowcaster does have arcane casting; they always have at least one mystery level that they cast as arcane spells. Note, however, that since your SLA and (Su) mysteries aren't actually spells, a lot of the benefits you get from Shadow Adept won't apply to them by RAW.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-25, 10:46 PM
Hmm, I'd have to have 15 Wisdom for that feat..or under go a hasty divine conversion and retrain one of my other feats. Thank goodness non-divine casters can worship dieties opposed to their alignments.

Funny, I also have Spellfire Wielder as a feat. Does that work, crunch-wise?

Fax Celestis
2014-11-25, 11:43 PM
Don't see why not. The feat means you know how to tap the shadow weave. Maybe you do that because your spellfire affinity makes using the normal weave dangerous.

And yes, while they technically cast arcane spell like abilities, they have special qualification mechanics that make that not work.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-25, 11:47 PM
Okay, I guess I'll take that. Unless anyone has any other suggestions...?

gorfnab
2014-11-26, 12:13 AM
The Shadowcaster Handbook in my signature has a list of prestige classes that Shadowcasters can qualify for.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-26, 08:43 PM
The Shadowcaster Handbook in my signature has a list of prestige classes that Shadowcasters can qualify for.

Thanks. Didn't find anything that fits me, so I guess I'll just take Shadow Adept. My character loathes deities to the very core (had a very miserable series of events in his life starting from the moment he was born, that he blames on the gods), but thankfully I don't have to worship Shar.

Thanks everyone.