PDA

View Full Version : Great roll, what to play?

Felvion
2014-11-25, 08:20 PM
So a friend of mine just rolled these: 4x16 and 2x14 (yeah i'm talking for 16-16-16-16-14-14 with roll-4-drop-lowest)! The campaign is starting at around lvl 3, thats all we know about it. Her pre-rolling thoughts were playing a moon-druid wood-elf but now she is kind of intrigued on finding a class/race that would help her make the best out of these stats.
After some quick calculations we agreed that there is no way to ever get them all 20s so we got past that "idea".
My first thought was she could make a front-line character as they tend to be more MAD but i think she prefers casting roles, even not primary ones. Maybe grab human variant to start with a feat and great stats when others have to choose between the two. As countless builds scrolled down my mind-screen i realised my very first saying when reading this edition: "You can't go wrong with 5th, unless you try too hard!" Almost everything is going to be -at least- ok, almost everything is going to have some unneeded bonuses.
Do you guys have any cool ideas for builds that seem to capitilise more from multiple high attributes? Well, i'm sure you do! Feel free to suggest anything, conventional or not, but please say why you think your build is special with many attribute bonuses.
Thanks in advance!

Human Paragon 3
2014-11-25, 09:40 PM
Valor bard, blade-pact warlock, or war-domain cleric are all classes that can make great use out of a variety of high stats.

He could also go with a dwarf wizard and be a full-armor, frontline fighting wizard.

Eldritch Knight fighter is another great choice, as it needs STR, CON, and INT (and none of the other stats hurt!).

What a great problem to have.

Kyutaru
2014-11-25, 09:54 PM
Paladin. Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Cha, they love it all. Only useless stat is Int, but that applies to most classes.

Celcey
2014-11-25, 10:04 PM
If she wants to be a MAD caster, I'd say go with Warlock (preferably a bladelock), and she can up her Charisma and whatever score her weapon requires (STR or DEX). She'd be able to max out her spell and attack stats, AND her CON, assuming she went variant human and took no more feats. (Variant human is a very good idea for this, by the way because in order to max out those three, she's gonna need all her ability score increases, no matter what race she takes).

Another good choice might be a Tempest or War Cleric, both of which are full casters that were clearly meant to fight- again, good for MAD.

Finally, I'd consider and Arcane Trickster, which is a caster (although not a full one) and requires Dex and Int (and Con is always awesome).

I think variant human is the best regardless of what she decides to be, and if she is, she might consider being a full caster (non-bladelock) and asking your DM if she could switch one of her extra variant skills out for a weapon proficiency.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-25, 11:57 PM
Paladin. Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Cha, they love it all. Only useless stat is Int, but that applies to most classes.

I second paladin! Go vengeance polearm master! Half elf, dragon born (meh), or half orc with savage attacks and relentless endurance!

Half Orc is just awesome. And I was reluctant to accept polearm as a viable style, but I've SEENT DUH LAIGHT!

Giant2005
2014-11-26, 12:48 AM
Fighter 1/Wizard X
Str, Con and Int are all 16s with 14 in the remaining stats.
That'd mean your Wizard would have decent Int and Con which are important for him plus enough Str to eventually wear Plate Armor. He also conveniently has the perfect amount of Dex to get a decent AC from Medium Armor until he can afford Plate.

Felvion
2014-11-26, 05:22 AM
Fighter 1/Wizard X
I think that way you get highly tempted to get a second level for action surge. Or it may be just me...

Half Orc is just awesome.
Try selling that to a female player!

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. I hope she gets something she like's out of all the suggestions you made.

McBars
2014-11-26, 06:11 AM
Play whatever she wants to; every class benefits from stats simply by way of not having weak saves

Daishain
2014-11-26, 08:29 AM
Try selling that to a female player!

What does that have to do with it? I am currently in the midst of a campaign with a female player who is playing a male half orc barbarian.

Women are no less likely than men to try something different.

Felvion
2014-11-26, 08:45 AM
Women are no less likely than men to try something different.

IMHO female players would probably avoid playing half-orc or dwarf female characters. On the ohter hand thats just my opinion as i've met 5-6 women into rpgs and actually played with only two of them...
In this particular case though, i can tell she wouldn't play something so "ugly".

Regulas
2014-11-26, 09:22 AM
IMHO female players would probably avoid playing half-orc or dwarf female characters. On the ohter hand thats just my opinion as i've met 5-6 women into rpgs and actually played with only two of them...
In this particular case though, i can tell she wouldn't play something so "ugly".

1. Tell her to stop being a sissy

2. It's fantasy. Female's are always portrayed as at least somewhat attractive in art for better or worse so there's plenty to inspire, also keep in mind it's a half-orc, unlike krusk who is mostly an orc just with lighter skin half-orcs should equally look like humans with green skin and tusks. I've always detested how often artists just draw a plain Orc and call it a "half-orc":

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/472081/AZE_half-orc_female_heavy.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/055/0/0/half_orc_brawler_by_ianllanas-d77tza1.jpg
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140509223440/phaeselis/images/6/62/Half-orcen.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgreLTMXxzD8wp0e74HV-NTZerNEHTpTIFqqjG1Njw7ZnMU-jH

Flowing hair:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130321220642/gernon/images/9/93/Romanticized-half-orc.jpg

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-26, 12:38 PM
1. Tell her to stop being a sissy

2. It's fantasy. Female's are always portrayed as at least somewhat attractive in art for better or worse so there's plenty to inspire, also keep in mind it's a half-orc, unlike krusk who is mostly an orc just with lighter skin half-orcs should equally look like humans with green skin and tusks. I've always detested how often artists just draw a plain Orc and call it a "half-orc":

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/472081/AZE_half-orc_female_heavy.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/055/0/0/half_orc_brawler_by_ianllanas-d77tza1.jpg
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140509223440/phaeselis/images/6/62/Half-orcen.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgreLTMXxzD8wp0e74HV-NTZerNEHTpTIFqqjG1Njw7ZnMU-jH

Flowing hair:
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130321220642/gernon/images/9/93/Romanticized-half-orc.jpg

Players choose how their characters look. She can look like she-hulk. Heeeeyyy sexy half lady!
Op um gang nam style!

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-26, 01:18 PM

I've played with a half dozen women during my time RPing, and I find that the most commonly chosen class is actually something along the lines of half orc barbarian or dwarven fighter. Likely the most memorable such example was Hellyeah, a Dwarven Barbarian who felt the need to kick down every single door which was in the way, regardless of whether it was locked or not. YMMV, of course, I'm just saying that in the same way as a hulking barbarian is just as appealing to an intelligent player as a crafty wizard, the same is true of females as well. If anything, the only difference I've seen in male vs female character selection is that females tend to have more variety to work with, since they can be readily accepted playing a male or female character, whereas a guy playing a female character is not as readily accepted.

Baptor
2014-11-27, 12:16 AM
So a friend of mine just rolled these: 4x16 and 2x14 (yeah i'm talking for 16-16-16-16-14-14 with roll-4-drop-lowest)! The campaign is starting at around lvl 3, thats all we know about it. Her pre-rolling thoughts were playing a moon-druid wood-elf but now she is kind of intrigued on finding a class/race that would help her make the best out of these stats.
After some quick calculations we agreed that there is no way to ever get them all 20s so we got past that "idea".
My first thought was she could make a front-line character as they tend to be more MAD but i think she prefers casting roles, even not primary ones. Maybe grab human variant to start with a feat and great stats when others have to choose between the two. As countless builds scrolled down my mind-screen i realised my very first saying when reading this edition: "You can't go wrong with 5th, unless you try too hard!" Almost everything is going to be -at least- ok, almost everything is going to have some unneeded bonuses.
Do you guys have any cool ideas for builds that seem to capitilise more from multiple high attributes? Well, i'm sure you do! Feel free to suggest anything, conventional or not, but please say why you think your build is special with many attribute bonuses.
Thanks in advance!

MAD characters are always the hardest to play. With stats like those, I'd take this opportunity to finally play that fighter/rogue/mage you've always had in the back of your mind.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-27, 12:20 AM
My vote would be for halfling or wood elf monk. Ain't nobody landing jack on you past 14 with those stats. Plus you could afford more feats than most monks. This assumes you get to 14, of course.

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-02, 01:53 PM
Eldritch Knight/Sorcerer blend because flying-plate-mail-glaive-blasty-nightmare.

With those stats, pretty much any race/class combo is available.

Freelance GM
2014-12-02, 08:51 PM
16-16-16-16-14-14 and starting at Level 3?

With stats that good, might as well make a total Mary Sue.
STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 16
CHA 16

Start as a Variant Human Bard/Knowledge Cleric/Warlock. Boost WIS/CHA to 17's, take the War Caster feat. That way, you're a front-line fighter with tons of skills, who can also cast Arcane, Divine, and Pact magic.

You start the game with 8 skills, 3 or more languages, all weapons, light and medium armor, shields, 3d8 Hit Dice, 7 cantrips, and 5 Level 1 Spell Slots (3 Multiclass + 2 Pact Magic). Basically, you are the personification of flexibility.

You can make the most out of medium armor, and wield any weapon effectively without interfering with your spells (thanks to War Caster) with enough hit points to work the front lines. Warlock gives you access to Eldritch blast, so you can also dish out magical pain while you save your 5 Level 1 slots for healing. Bard gives you Ritual Casting, so outside of combat you can still play support caster.

At the end of this day, this combination can serve just about any roll in the party, and serve it well.

Leveling up will be a challenge, though. 2 Levels of Warlock would improve your offense (Agonizing Blast, a Pact Weapon, or possibly a familiar, so you can have a pet, too.) However, 1 more Cleric level and you can get proficiency in "whatever you need me to be for the next 10 minutes." Going 3 levels in the Bard route would be a good idea sooner than later, because then you can hand out Inspiration more frequently.

TL;DR, you have too many options, and this build lets you do everything. However, being split between 3 classes means you'll be relying almost entirely on lower-level abilities for the entire campaign.

EvilAnagram
2014-12-02, 11:23 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Blade Pact Warlock!

They are so MAD most of the time, but you can have STR 16, Con 16, Dex 16, and CHA 16, so **** it. Pick up a Glaive, make yourself a Tiefling or a Half-Elf, and murder things at all ranges.

Ohnoeszz
2014-12-03, 12:17 AM
I would lean towards something that offers a lot of skill choices.

I've been playing an Arcane Trickster/Fey Bladelock and it's been a blast. It's a pretty MAD multi-class since you need Dex for your finesse weapon sneak attack, a 13 INT to become an Arcane Trickster, and a high CHA for Warlock features. Taking rogue to 3 for Arcane Trickster gives you a great skill base, sneak attack damage, and some extra spell slots to take with you to Warlock.

I'll bump my thread up at some point...

Vintrastorm
2014-12-04, 06:48 AM
I've been playing an Arcane Trickster/Fey Bladelock and it's been a blast. It's a pretty MAD multi-class since you need Dex for your finesse weapon sneak attack, a 13 INT to become an Arcane Trickster...

AFAIK there is no need for int 13 on Arcane Trickster. Multiclassing rule just says Rogue Dex 13.

Is there a inte/wis/cha = 10+Spell level requirement to learn/cast spells from a specific level?