PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Fang assassian

redfeline
2014-11-25, 11:02 PM
It has taken many long hours and a great deal of effort but you have finally found a solid lead. Instead of wasting time invading castles in a far off land, you dug around the local cults. Now you know where the black scroll is and can act to retrieve it.

The place seems so unlikely however, one of three small towns of maybe 200 set deep in a forest on the shores of a very large glacial lake. The place is essentially unheard of and the lake itself hasn't had much history other than it being the home of an aboleth some 15 generations ago. Tolbertown itself has no historical importance, nearby surdace was the the town that the aboleth was slain in, and no scum have been seen since.

In any case the lead seems solid, and that is where the black scroll and the cult leader must be.

greenpotato
2014-11-26, 01:47 AM
"Strange that this little town would be the cause of all this trouble." Artlis says with a wave at the meager settlement before them all.

Anyr
2014-11-26, 03:08 AM
"Indeed. I wonder why they chose such a strange location."

So spoke the elderly figure floating nearby. From her concealed position in the treetops, Myria Taldani squinted at the distant town. Gone were the days when she could just waltz into the local tavern and start asking questions. Legendary adventurers had to be somewhat more cunning.

"Now to choose our method of approach. Personally, I think we should shift to the Ethereal plane: That way we can search the entire area unobserved. Opinions?"

JennTora
2014-11-26, 05:13 AM
"Hm... It's possible they choose this place precisely because it seems so unlikely. Or perhaps there's more to this town than meets the eye. Going ethereal is a good plan."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-11-26, 01:50 PM
Vara looks around the tiny town, but it looks like "village" would be a better word. "Yes, we have to be careful. There may only be a couple hundred people, but it's possible they could all be hostile. We need to be on our guard, and going ethereal is a good idea. Anticipate Peril. Greater Arcane Sight." She looks around the group and asks, "Do we want to send one person in on the material plane? Someone to bait the trap, if there is one?"

I'm also assuming Vara has her usual daily buffs, Overland Flight and Moment of Prescience, up. If not, she casts them now as well.

Anyr
2014-11-26, 03:11 PM
"No. If this is indeed a trap, then we should all face it together; And if it isn't, then surprise is on our side."

Assuming nobody voiced an objection, Myria would begin preparations for a transplanar trip. She spent a few minutes readying the necessary spells, casting a few buffs, and transforming herself into a Troll. This accomplished, she gathered her comrades (including her summoned Archon) in a circle.

"As usual, this spell is woefully inaccurate. One of you should ready a Greater Teleport, to be cast the instant we cross over. That way we'll effectively arrive on this very spot."

Myria prepares an extra 'Plane Shift', and a 'Greater Prying Eyes'. She then casts 'Foresight' and 'Shapechange' (both extended) on herself. Once everyone's ready, she'll shift them all to the Ethereal plane: At which point a fellow spellcaster will (hopefully) teleport them straight back to this spot, before the air even has a chance to displace.

Planar drift (just in case):[roll0]

Yas392
2014-11-26, 03:42 PM
Bjorn creases his head. Perhaps, it is fitting because the area's infamy had reached the devoted ears. Or perhaps, this is a trap or diversion. I second the notion of your preparation.

JennTora
2014-11-29, 08:55 AM
"Very well, cast your plane shift, and I'll bring us back here." Marco says as he prepares to cast greater teleport.

ready action to cast greater teleport when everyone is in the ethereal.

Mousedigits
2014-11-29, 12:39 PM
"I'd say the reasoning behind this location is simply because it's small, and thus less noticeable.

Anyways, I s'pose going over to the Ethereal would be a good idea. Sadly, I cannot cast Greater Teleport. Someone else will have to provide that.

Aah, thank you, Marco."

redfeline
2014-12-01, 07:56 PM
The group fades into darkness for a moment and before the world seems to be covered in blurry figures and shapes. A large dark grey figure swings and several smaller light grey figures among a forest of green and brown. After a moment the scenery changes and you find yourself in a shadowy blurry village.

As you poke in and out of buildings you see some interesting things, but nothing out of what is to be expected in a small village.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-12-02, 08:29 PM
Vara notices a priest. "That cleric has the Tongues spell active. Maybe they were using it to talk to something extraplanar?" Vara floats closer to inspect the cleric's religious symbols.

Knowledge: Religion to identify any symbols the cleric may have: [roll0]

Anyr
2014-12-03, 02:19 AM
Myria's approach to searching was a little different. She summoned over twenty tiny magical sensors, which all had True Seeing. The little eyeballs were given the following instructions:

"Search the entire area that stretches one mile from this point. Report any suspicious people, hidden entrances, cult activity, or signs of the Black Scroll."

Myria casts 'Greater Prying Eyes'. Number of sensors: [roll0]+21. The eyes all have a +21 Perception modifier.

redfeline
2014-12-03, 02:13 PM
The cleric symbol is that of Erastil deity of farming and hunting and fairly common in this type of town. As for the man himself, his features are distorted by the plane but his hair color seems uncommon in these parts.

The eyes scatter about peering out of ethereal plane. Some even skim across the water which was included in the search. Many dive into buildings and begin to search as well. It'll be some time before they finish.

redfeline
2014-12-06, 03:08 PM
At the extent of the arcane eye spell, under the water ruins start to show up. Details are hard to make out but they seem to be in good repair, for being unattended underwater for many years. As for under the town and in the buildings, it would seem your informant gave false information, the town is wholly unremarkable.

The sun moves behind some clouds in the sky, giving the early day a cool shadow.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-12-06, 04:58 PM
Vara sighs in frustration. "No, they're just a cleric of Erastil. Or at least, they look like one. Maybe it's best to make sure?" She follows the cleric without getting too far from the rest of the group.

"too far" is defined as a fifth of a mile, which is about the range of her Dimension Door.

Anyr
2014-12-06, 05:58 PM
A few of the eyes soon returned to make their reports. Myria grabbed each one from the air and assimilated their memories, one by one. The underwater images which followed prompted her own eyes to snap open.

"The lake: There are intriguing ruins beneath the lake. In the absence of other leads, this seems like the most promising thing to investigate. Shall we take a swim?"

Mousedigits
2014-12-06, 07:14 PM
That would seem to be a good idea. However, does anyone have any way to help with the whole "breathing underwater" problem. I can do it myself, by turning into a water elemental, but I cannot transfer this to anyone else.

Anyr
2014-12-06, 07:36 PM
"If necessary, I can surround others with a shield of air. But I'd be surprised if any of us lacked the capacity to survive underwater. Surely by this point in our careers, we've all discovered a way around that particular hazard."

Even kindly old Wizards could be a bit arrogant sometimes.

redfeline
2014-12-07, 03:38 AM
As you follow the cleric around the temple a child runs in panting for breath and screaming about what is happening outside. The priest and child run outside to a nearby farm where a man it trying to tie a turnicate around his bleeding leg. The priest casts a spell sealing the wounds. The priest asks what happened and the child says day hit himself while chopping wood.

redfeline
2014-12-09, 02:19 PM
The overcast turns darker as the last sensor reports back in. It would seem a mid day storm is forming.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-12-11, 01:20 AM
""If necessary, I can surround others with a shield of air. But I'd be surprised if any of us lacked the capacity to survive underwater."

"Well..." Vara mumbles. "That's not actually a problem I've run into before. So I'd appreciate it. Not everyone can be as prepared as a Wizard, you know."

Mousedigits
2014-12-11, 08:19 AM
"Indeed. I, personally, would not like to use my elemental body spell for a thing like breathing water, especially since I'm a good bit weaker, in my experience, as a water elemental than in my own form. And, we Magi get quite a bit fewer spells than you wizards...

JennTora
2014-12-11, 11:50 AM
"you're all seriously mad at her because you weren't smart enough to be prepared in case you ever had to swim for a long time? If you haven't noticed the world has quite a lot of water. I find it odd that you apparently thought it would never come up, " Marco says to Vara.

The little creature at his side(that he crafted to look like himself in miniature, though with demon wings and other standard homunculus body parts) covers it's mouth as if to giggle, though it's silent. Master the sorceress, is she a fool? How can she be so strong and not be able to get past a little water.

Marco shrugs at the homunculus.

In truth, not even wizards can be prepared for everything but I'd rather they think we're going to give them a hard time for everything they're not ready for, otherwise they might get as lazy as these townfolk.

To Aistkus he says:
"well at least you managed to be ready with a way around it. I have plenty of polymorph any object spells prepared, if anyone would prefer. Let's go."

He says and casts winds of vengeance.

Anyr
2014-12-11, 12:21 PM
Myria's reaction was less pronounced than that of her fellow Wizard. She just made a few quiet 'tsk' noises, along with a gentle shake of the head. Then she was right back to business.

"It's all right, my dears: I've got atmospheric shells for all who want them. Just give me a few minutes to prepare the spell again."

Some minutes later, she emerged from her studies once again: Ready to dispense oxygen supplies to her comrades. This accomplished, Myria looked towards the lake.

"Now, shall we be off?"

redfeline
2014-12-11, 02:03 PM
The sky now covered with dark clouds lets out the soft sounds of distant but approaching thunder. It was likely to rain soon, but the depths of the lake should be safe from stray lighting.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-12-12, 08:31 PM
"you're all seriously mad at her because you weren't smart enough to be prepared in case you ever had to swim for a long time? If you haven't noticed the world has quite a lot of water. I find it odd that you apparently thought it would never come up, "

"Mad? No, I'm not angry at all," Vara clarifies. "I'm grateful. Thank you, Myria," Vara says as she accepts the spell. "I only wanted to explain why I, as a Sorcerer, didn't prepare for something as unusual as waterbreathing. I wasn't complaining at all. And now, with this spell- Myria, thanks again- I'm ready to go down. Is everyone else ready?"

Mousedigits
2014-12-12, 11:37 PM
"Aah, thank you, Myria. Hrrm, that storm doesn't look good. Hey, anyone know if we can be effected by a lighting bolt while in the ethereal plane? (Whoops, just read the last part of Red's post xD)

[roll0] Knowledge Planes
[roll1] Knowledge Arcana

JennTora
2014-12-14, 01:26 AM
"Let's go." Marco says and enters the lake.

Mousedigits
2014-12-14, 01:44 PM
Aistkus will enter the lake as soon as Myria does.

redfeline
2014-12-15, 02:37 PM
The waters a dark and murky and the shallows are lined with long chains of vegetation. That combined with the nature of looking from one plane onto another visibility is extremely poor. As the group descends lower into the depths the plants part before them and only the thick soup of floating debris limits their vision to a few feet.

After a small amount of swimming the group comes across obelisks followed by long destroyed ruins. As they continue to swim more and more of them show up until it becomes clear your in what was once an underwater city. Now in the city you notice the murk and floating debris seems to be gone and the water here is unusually clean for the bottom of a lake.

Off in the distance you see a palace of granite with a white top lined with coral. The coral must of been imported, because there is none in the lake obviously.

Anyr
2014-12-15, 07:28 PM
Before entering the Lake, Myria paused to cast a 'Getaway' spell on her group: Just in case they needed to make a hasty exit. She matched pace with the others as they swam through the murky waters. Though the darkness didn't bother Myria, visibility was still poor. She made a cursory inspection of each ruin which she came across on her way to the palace. That impressive structure was definitely worth investigating.

redfeline
2014-12-15, 08:34 PM
The runes seem to be mostly gibberish in abyssal. Something about elements and all being consumed by the dark depths. Normal aboleth propaganda frankly.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-12-16, 02:29 PM
Vara looks around and checks for any magical auras. To conserve air, she avoids speaking.

redfeline
2014-12-18, 03:33 PM
As Vara stares at the runes on the ruins (in a hole at the bottom of the sea?) their magics become visible to her. Several spells seem to be acting upon. Which spells are difficult to say, as she hasn't seen these ones before. How ever transmutation, abjuration, and evocation seem to be present and it would be a mistake to say they are constant power, as the enchantments seem to be actively gaining in power.

Anyr
2014-12-19, 01:58 PM
Myria examined the runes, in an attempt to discern their purpose.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]