PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin build help!

Meth In a Mine
2014-11-25, 11:28 PM
Hi all, my character recently got smacked by the Ban-Hammer (apparently my DM didn't like a 9th level fighter killing two iron golems and a graveknight in three turns, IDK).
I have chosen to play a Paladin. I think it'll be a fun rp challenge and I'll have an excuse to not negotiate with undead. (Like, four encounters in a row involved undead that we were supposed to parley with and not kill, and apparently I'm supposed to curl up in a fetal position for any old pale stranger with red eyes we meet)
Anyhow, 9th level, 34 point buy (dunno where that number came from but whatever), and only pathfinder material. Everyone else can use 3.0/3.5 material but I have been banned from that, as implied above, my fighter was dealing 100+ damage each round.
Anyhow, I think I'll go with Aasimar as my race. I want to be either a sword and boarder or a two-hander.

Thanks in advance!

Blackhawk748
2014-11-25, 11:35 PM
While i cant help with the build, as i dont know PF all that well, could you post you Fighter's build? That way we know what NOT to do to have your character banned again.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-25, 11:40 PM
Sword and Board is a lot worse without 3.5 support (no Agile Shield Fighter, for example). I would strongly advise against it.

How to play a two-hander in Pathfinder:

1. Use a two-handed weapon.
2. Have a high strength score.
3. Pick up Power Attack and Furious Focus

That's basically all there is to two-handing. Anything else is extra. Maybe use a Falchion, take Improved Critical, and nab some critical feats? I honestly have no idea.

Meth In a Mine
2014-11-26, 12:06 AM
While i cant help with the build, as i dont know PF all that well, could you post you Fighter's build? That way we know what NOT to do to have your character banned again.

Basically my fighter used a combo between Power Attack, Combat Brute, and Leap Attack (the latter two are from Complete Adventurer and Complete Adventurer, respectively), as well as a Lion Totem Barbarian dip (from Complete Champion) and abused how these feats could interact with each other.
But really my DM says I'll be fine as long as I stick to Pathfinder material.

On a side note I though this whole situation was kinda funny, because my DM said to go crazy with my build and he proceeds to ban me because I turned everything to paste so darn fast. :smallbiggrin:
Cheers,
MiaM

TheCrowing1432
2014-11-26, 03:20 AM
So your dm basically banned uber chargers.

You you were a fighter dipped barbarian?

And let me guess, he/she thinks wizards/druids/clerics are all perfectly fine and balanced.

God forbid a mundane does a lot of damage, all of which can be easilly avoided if he threw, I dunno, flying foes? Archers? Difficult terrain? Damage Reduction?

But no, he threw big dumb stat blocks at you and you smashed them to pieces and now hes mad.

Ugh.

I hate when people hurt mundanes for no reason, does he think monks are op too?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 09:02 AM
Basically my fighter used a combo between Power Attack, Combat Brute, and Leap Attack (the latter two are from Complete Adventurer and Complete Adventurer, respectively), as well as a Lion Totem Barbarian dip (from Complete Champion) and abused how these feats could interact with each other.
But really my DM says I'll be fine as long as I stick to Pathfinder material.

On a side note I though this whole situation was kinda funny, because my DM said to go crazy with my build and he proceeds to ban me because I turned everything to paste so darn fast. :smallbiggrin:
Cheers,
MiaM

Wow, didnt even have Shock Trooper in there. Well your party is going to miss your insane DPR i can tell you that, especially if your mages arent blasters.

And ya, chargers are actually fairly easy to deal with. Dont let them charge, have multiple opponents, or use Undead as they have metric crap tons of HD.

Optimator
2014-11-26, 11:46 AM
DPS? Is this an MMO now? Perhaps you meant DPR or, you know, damage.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 11:51 AM
DPS? Is this an MMO now? Perhaps you meant DPR or, you know, damage.

Whoop, terminology slip there

Meth In a Mine
2014-11-26, 10:41 PM
Wow, didnt even have Shock Trooper in there. Well your party is going to miss your insane DPR i can tell you that, especially if your mages arent blasters.

And ya, chargers are actually fairly easy to deal with. Dont let them charge, have multiple opponents, or use Undead as they have metric crap tons of HD.

Forgot to mention Shock Trooper. I did have that. And for what it's worth, we have been fighting loads of undead and not to be arrogant but they were like puppies facing a freight train. :smallbiggrin:

I am looking at a stock paladin (as in no archetype) with weapon bond, since we already have a cavalier, and for feats I am looking at Power Attack, Turn Undead, Iron Will, Weapon Focus, and Toughness. Any thoughts on that selection. My stats are currently Str 17, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 13, Wish 14, Cha 18 after applying race and level up stat boosts. (loving this enormous point buy value).

Meth In a Mine
2014-11-26, 10:52 PM
So your dm basically banned uber chargers.

You you were a fighter dipped barbarian?

And let me guess, he/she thinks wizards/druids/clerics are all perfectly fine and balanced.

God forbid a mundane does a lot of damage, all of which can be easilly avoided if he threw, I dunno, flying foes? Archers? Difficult terrain? Damage Reduction?

But no, he threw big dumb stat blocks at you and you smashed them to pieces and now hes mad.

Ugh.

I hate when people hurt mundanes for no reason, does he think monks are op too?
Sorry for the double post, my phone can't copy and paste.

To answer your first comment, yes, he has no issue with those tier 1 classes.
And he apparently thinks that I was outshining the rest of the party, when the party included a cavalier who trampled a full mob of soldiers to paste in one turn, and a healing centered cleric, a dracomancer, and a psion. Everyone else in the party was always happy to have me around, too.

Cheers,
MiaM

Meth In a Mine
2014-11-28, 10:15 AM
Hi all, my fellow PCs reacted negatively to having a Paladin in the party. Although I think that it would be fun to roleplay, I will acquiesce to their demands and play an Arcane caster, an Arcanist looks fun in particular.