PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading armor

D.U.P.A.
2014-11-26, 08:59 AM
When is appropriate time to upgrade heavier armor? Level 1 heavy armor users start with chainmail (medium with scale mail). I'd say at 4th level where Dex characters increase their Dex score, raising their AC by 1. At that time characters should be able to afford splint mail (or breastplate). For plate armor (half plate) I'd say 8th level, when is the next ability score increase, although fighter increase it at already 6th level.

Felvion
2014-11-26, 09:10 AM
Well, i think that anything non-magical should be affordable at level 4 maximum.
What i actually wanted to comment though after seeing your post is these 2 weeks still seem too damn long...:smallmad:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 09:48 AM
With bounded accuracy you can give someone any armor at level one and creatures can still mess them up. Low level creatures are still a threat, in bulk, to high level creatures after all.

So throw in a set of plate mail or whatever, it won't always save their hide.

odigity
2014-11-26, 10:02 AM
Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...

Currently playing a Paladin 3 in a game (start at 1), only scored about 100-200gp so far from adventuring (can't remember the exact amount). Saving it all for Plate Mail (1500gp).

Since there are no WBL, I have no idea how long that's going to take, so I'm curious: How long did it take you to reach 1500gp worth of total treasure when starting from level 1 in your 5e games? What seems to be the average actual-world WBL for people's games so far in the early levels?

Selkirk
2014-11-26, 12:57 PM
our fighter is 4th level and just bought splint mail (had been running with chainmail before that). that pretty much wiped out her gold and other party members are low on gold too. so 1200 gp seems a long ways away :D. maybe 5th or 6th level at our present pace.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-26, 12:59 PM
Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...

Currently playing a Paladin 3 in a game (start at 1), only scored about 100-200gp so far from adventuring (can't remember the exact amount). Saving it all for Plate Mail (1500gp).

Since there are no WBL, I have no idea how long that's going to take, so I'm curious: How long did it take you to reach 1500gp worth of total treasure when starting from level 1 in your 5e games? What seems to be the average actual-world WBL for people's games so far in the early levels?

Personally my group went to the blacksmith and did a quest for him so we could have a set of armor... The bard ended married to his daughter and we now have controlling interest in his smith... We kinda work as advertisement agents... Hmm..

Mad Men: D&D Style

MaxWilson
2014-11-26, 01:12 PM
When is appropriate time to upgrade heavier armor? Level 1 heavy armor users start with chainmail (medium with scale mail). I'd say at 4th level where Dex characters increase their Dex score, raising their AC by 1. At that time characters should be able to afford splint mail (or breastplate). For plate armor (half plate) I'd say 8th level, when is the next ability score increase, although fighter increase it at already 6th level.

If fighters can't afford to upgrade to heavy armor, wizards/warlocks/etc. won't be able to transcribe spells. So for the party's sake, I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Slipperychicken
2014-11-26, 01:34 PM
I recently had a number of fights, levels 1-5, with varying AC levels. Here's my intuition about AC:

0-10: Autohit
10-14: Most likely hit
16-18: Get hit sometimes
19-21: Rarely get hit

I was running a Paladin in plate+shield (AC 20) and 41hp. I was able to solo-tank like 5 werewolves and 2 wolves for almost 7ish rounds before going down, and they were each swinging 2 attacks per round with advantage. They only took my paladin down after they wrestled his shield off and got in a few crits.

So I would say the upgrade from AC 18 to 20 is pretty meaningful.

odigity
2014-11-26, 01:49 PM
I was running a Paladin in plate+shield (AC 20)... So I would say the upgrade from AC 18 to 20 is pretty meaningful.

Easy for you to say. I'm sitting here at AC 16 with nothing but a Halberd in my hands. :) (Polearm Master)

I intend to get Sentinel next level to help mitigate the problem by stopping foes before they get me within their reach.

Scirocco
2014-11-26, 01:54 PM
In AL play I had splint right before level 3. Considering the amount of gold available in that format, I can't see having plate before level five.

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-27, 07:56 AM

Literally as soon as possible imo. The cost difference between Chain mail and splint is fairly small considering the cost of a modest lifestyle. We're at level 5, I've upgraded to splint.

Talyn
2014-11-27, 08:53 AM
In our case, our party got a suit of plate armor as a quest-completion reward at level 2 - and our DM immediately regretted it, as it made the wearer (a war cleric with a shield) basically untouchable. We have just hit level 5 (which seems to be about when we ought to have gotten it), and that cleric, who is a front line fighter every battle, has only gone below half hit points once.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-27, 02:08 PM
In our case, our party got a suit of plate armor as a quest-completion reward at level 2 - and our DM immediately regretted it, as it made the wearer (a war cleric with a shield) basically untouchable. We have just hit level 5 (which seems to be about when we ought to have gotten it), and that cleric, who is a front line fighter every battle, has only gone below half hit points once.

There are so many ways to mess with a high AC character that it isn't funny.

For example, any spell that targets Dexterity should do quite nicely.

In the game world this cleric has become a little legend, "the untouchable". So I'm sure warlords from all around would be all like " pshaw, can't wait to knock that cleric down a notch" and come after the cleric using different tactics.

Remember, the PCs aren't the only ones that can adapt. The world can adapt to the PCs just like the PCs adapt to the world.

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-28, 10:38 PM
There are so many ways to mess with a high AC character that it isn't funny.

For example, any spell that targets Dexterity should do quite nicely.

In the game world this cleric has become a little legend, "the untouchable". So I'm sure warlords from all around would be all like " pshaw, can't wait to knock that cleric down a notch" and come after the cleric using different tactics.

Remember, the PCs aren't the only ones that can adapt. The world can adapt to the PCs just like the PCs adapt to the world.

If his AC is just plate + shield, how is that anything special? Wouldn't every other knight in the game basically be as tough?

Talyn
2014-11-28, 11:18 PM
Sure, but throw him against level appropriate enemies - at second level, an orc warrior (+5 to hit) only hits on a 15 or higher, or 30% of the time. If he's attacking with disadvantage, which thanks to some good teamwork on our party we have been able to consistently impose, only has about a 1/11 chance of hitting him.

Armored knights, on horseback, with lances and shields are grade-A badasses. In the real world, they were exceedingly difficult to defeat in anything approaching a fair fight, numbers-wise.

Slipperychicken
2014-11-29, 12:49 AM
If his AC is just plate + shield, how is that anything special? Wouldn't every other knight in the game basically be as tough?

AC 20 costs 1,510 gold. That's a lot of money. Wearing plate armor marks you out as a VIP: at least a man-at-arms, probably a knight or nobleman.

I'd imagine most normal robbers wouldn't take their chances on a plated warrior, knowing that the wearer is certainly strong (Strength >=15), well-trained in combat (fighter, paladin, cleric, or Heavy Armor feat), and rich (1500 gold).

Still, it's not like plate is some kind of game-breaker. The wearer is harder to hit, but it doesn't help with any conditions or saving throws. Also, sword-and-board sacrifices offense for defense: You don't get your fancy 2d6 maul or GWM feat if you use a shield. Unless you're using the classic quarterstaff cheese (Polearm Mastery, 1-handed quarterstaff, shield, dueling fighting style) you aren't getting a bonus action attack either.

S_Dalsgaard
2014-11-29, 07:52 AM
I did some math on the LMoP adventure and if the PCs find all the loot, they will have around 3.000 gp when they hit level 4 (just before they are ready to enter the mine). If they also score all the money awards from the citizens of Phandalin, it is more like 4.000 gp. For a standard party of four, that is 700-1000 gp per character. By borrowing some money from the other party members, the fighter could possibly be able to afford a plate mail by then (but he would still have to have it made).