PDA

View Full Version : Pale as Bone (Playable Race)

Kioran
2007-03-25, 05:48 AM
A long while ago, before I stumbled upon this board, I had been involved in a lot of online-rp on several boards, with several different people. Unfortunately this was during the worst of the R.A. Salvatore-hype, with drow and Drizzt-clones all over the place. Now I have no real problem with Drow, play them if you want, but I realized two things during my massive exposure to them:

1: I donīt like Drow aesthetically - there is a lot of better or cooler looking stuff out there, at least in my opinion
2: I donīt like the Drow fluff

Paired with that, I realized most Fantasy settings lack a true nocturnal PC-race. And thatīs where this Idea started to ferment. I apologize in advance for introducing another race of Elves........

...and swear this was before WC3

Addition: Until further notice or another complaint, I will temporarily rename my creation from "Bone Elf" to "Ghost Elf". I will also readjust the stats and subtype, explanation following in alter post.

Ghost Elves
True Nocturnals, Cave Dwellers, Ghost Elves are totally adapted to life in utter darkness. They stand realtively tall, about six feet on average with the males, the females slightly smaller, their skin a pale Alabaster white with jet black hair in several matte and glossy shades. The eyes are milky white and have an only faintly discernable Iris. These Eyes greatly amplify any ambient light and can become luminiscent if necessesary, glowing in a harsh, whitish blue. The have very keen senses, but are a little frail.
Driven out of their home in the deep in a fierce, genocidal three-way-war with Drow and Dwarves, the few survivors now try to survive and rebuild while maintaining low profile and the Drowīs assumption of extinction. Life on the surface is hard for them - they are albino and nearly blind during day, thatīs why they prowl the night - and dread the coming winter

Ghost Elves
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Abilities: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
Speed: 30 ft.,
Blazing low-light vision(Ex): Functions just like low light vision, but in additon, it enables this creature to create itīs own light, rendering this fully equal to normal vision in range and detail(though colour is slightly off) even in utter darkness. "Blazing up" sheds a 15ft. cone of faint illumnation
Blindsight(Ex): Ghost Elves posses Blindsight with a range of 15ft.
Albinism: Ghost Elves suffer 1 point of lethal and d3 points of nonlethal damage per hour of full exposure to sunlight. They take the same same amount of damage only every 6hours if cloaked or otherwise shielded from the Sun.
Massive Light sensitivity: Bone Elve become dazzled during normal daylight, and blinded in bright sunlight or the radius of a daylight spell
Sensitive Ears: Any Ghost Elf exposed to overly loud noise (a howling mob or such) must make a DC 15 fortitude save or become sickened for 1 round
RacialSkill/SaveBonus: +6 bonus to Spot and Listen Checks, +4 on Hide or Move silently Checks
Automatic Languages: Lumian, Common
Bonus Languages: Undercommon
Favored Class: Stalker*
Level Adjustment: +1

Lumian is this races specific Language. I will also, later on, introduce the Stalker, a base class working on and enhancing the racial traits.

Since this is my first homebrew, any Ideas, corrections or such? Is the LA appropriate(weighing power Blindsight against the vulnerabilities)?

EvilElitest
2007-03-25, 02:25 PM
They should not take lethal damage from the sun. Sorry but that does not make to much sense. i would surggest that they suffer like drow in sunlight. Maybe they could be nuasated
Anyways some more fluff would be nice. And where have i heard of Bone elves before?
from,
EE

Kioran
2007-03-26, 03:36 AM
Okay - they started out as "Knochenelfen" anyway (I just translated it, not looking it up beforehand). I have now noticed Il Chefe already has Bone Elves as a part of a campaign setting........Anyway, duly noted, Iīm already looking into an alternative name. Soon as I got that out of the way I will elaborate a little more on the Fluff.

The Sunlight vulnerability is a major point of this race - they are true nocturnals, not "amphibious" like Drow, which still function to a good extent even during the bright day. A real Albino suffers major damage up to second degree burns from being exposed to large amounts of sunlight without sunscreen or blocker, so I thought the amount of damge would be appropriate.
Same with the senses - they are honed to such a fine egde that they react to minimal stimulation - but also grossly overreact if exposed to something we would be accustomed to, like a loud schoolyard during recess etc.

They biggest problem I have is assesing the "value" of blindsight (which, I think, wasnīt meant for PCs originally) and the sound/light vulnerability. Any Ideas somewhere

Zeta Kai
2007-03-26, 11:53 AM
For the record, the Raptorans from Races of the Wild are nocturnal. They have no real major penalties in daylight, but the other PC races don't have penalties at night, either.

I don't have a problem with some daylight sensitivity, but I agree with EE. Lethal damage from sunlight is just too much of a liability. A 1st level bone elf commoner is dead in 4 hours or less without shielding, & with the subdual damage (which is only healed at a rate of 1 hp per hour per level), most of that 4 hours would be spent unconcious. Even a 1st level bone elf fighter would be dead in 10 hours (still passed out & helpless for most of the day). Only a barbarian would have a chance to make it through the day (assuming 12 full hours of daylight, not adjusted for seasonal variation). I know 1st level characters are fragile, but this is just too dangerous. Few players would take such a severe penalty.

At 2nd level & beyond, you have a few more survivors (fighters, paladins & rangers), but you still have to worry about bards, rogues, sorcerers, wizards & most NPC classes. Only at mid-levels would a daylight mission be perceived as less than potential suicide. I don't know about you, but I'll take my chances with the frozen wastes of Frostburn.

EvilElitest
2007-03-26, 01:45 PM
In frost burn, the sun reflects.
And by the by, where are bone elves from? I heard of them somewhere. I don't know the reference you made
from,
EE

Icewalker
2007-03-27, 12:54 AM
Yeah, but no smart one of these will be actually out in the sun. They stay heavily cloaked and last 6 times as long if they have to. For one thing, they definitely DON'T need LA+1, as they take damage from sun and can be sickened by sounds...if anything, they need something more, although the blindsight may be enough to make up for that.

Kioran
2007-03-27, 09:32 AM
Since the start of this Thread, I have now made some small adjustments, in particular renaming these beings (though Iīm not sure this is done permanently) because of the overlay with other Bone Elves in the Illumination Setting, and as the other change, souping up the attribute bonuses by adding Intelligence to warrant the LA.

The main problem with these, as PCs, is the radicality of their adaption - these are true nocturnals, not nocturnals by choice. As such they are quite weak during the day. Exposure to sunlight is slow death to them, quite intentionally so. Any daylight forays are not minor undertakings, but need to be seriously thought over. Itīs intentional low-lvl Characters of this race cannot practically act during the day.
I might, however, highlight the counterpoint: Their senses are the best of all humanoids for actiosn in the dark. On homeground, these things slaughter even Drow during fights.

This was one of the intentions during the design. I always considered the Drow design inconsequent and not totally viable - many features they have(Domination, Pigment or powerful magic) are not directly related to thier surroundings, sometimes even contradcting it. On the other hand they can still function very well on the surface, which makes them, though they have an unpractically high LA, superior both on and below the surface.
Simply creating "better" beings was not the intention of my creation - they have some very powerful abilities, but at a high cost. Especially Elven supersenses (often annoying me to no end during online RP, when others overplayed their effect), I thought, should always come at a price. It is thus that these have powerful hearing and sight (Even using sound for blindsight), but are also very sensitive to attacks on their senses.

A short elaboration on their history:

The origins of this race are somewhat unclear, but a few things have still proven to be true. Not the results of a natural process, these beings were created as a crop of engineered fighters(DC 15 knowledge Arcana or History) during a power struggle in the Underdark. Some say it was the work of Beholders, a mad Wizard, some even suspect a high ranking Evil Outsider. Whoever did the deed wanted to create smart, but weak creatures so highly adapted to subterraean venues that they would never stray far from the place of their creation, serving as infantry in wars against troglodytes and drow. And though they look quite Elven, they were bred from human stock(DC 20 knowledge Arcana or Nature), short lived but fertile. They were exposed to powerful spells and poisonous alchemies, to harsh breeding and selection.
Unfortunately, this process dulled the first few generations minds, and while making them fast and honing their senses to a fine edge, they languished in a semi-sentient state. They proved effective, powerful even in several fights against their opponents, but over time, their lack of intelligence grew tiresome to their master, who turned them lose.
(to be continued very soon)

Anyway, any kind of comment or input would be welcome....

EvilElitest
2007-03-27, 02:16 PM
Love the new name. What is this setting Bone elves where from

Any ways, i still think the lethal damage is to mean. Here i an idea

\Make them considered stunned for first three rounds of exposer. After that they take nonlethal damage and suffer minues. For every hour in the sun, they loss a hit point. Also make them blinded, and take away their blindsight in sunlight. You still need to give them some more advantages or take away LA
from
EE

Kioran
2007-03-27, 05:33 PM
Illumination is, as far as I know, some slightly rennaissance-style setting created by Mr. Burlew a.k.a. "Giant in the Playground", parts of which remain unknown to the public due to the author considering commercial use. Some details are said to be available if one digs a little deeper - I have never quite had the nerve for it, since I wonīt be using this setting anytime soon. It has, however, according to google, Bone Elves in it.

Anyways, the story continues:
Those now turned feral died by the hundreds, few survived, hiding in nooks and crannies, fleeing the powerful predators of the Underdark. It seemed like an end to their kind. It was a beginning.
Free from the poisonous tonics and alchemies, which reshaped their senses, organs and the brain, the children regained a thinking mind. In turn, powerful muscles, hardened reserves of power and vitality, never formed, denied the impulse which triggered their rampant growth. The children were frail - Yet they reawakened to humanity, erecting at first few holdfasts in the vast caverns.
In time, these grew to a network of small, but relative prosperous settlements, gathering moss and lichen in the tunnels or fishing the underground seas, wary of others, but not afraid. Their world was filled with gentle blue light, bringing out facets and colors unknown to all but few denizens of the deep. Few daring souls ventured out, and a few of those who returned spoke of a cruel, searing light above. Some didnīt return, while others told of battle with fearsom foes.
But Drow are not given to forgetting slights - or threats at that. So it came, after a few generations and a shift of power within a nearby drow city, someone remembered skirmishes lost generations ago, and the banners of war were raised. At first, vicious raids by Drow warbands toppled settlements, throwing the unsuspecting young civilization into turmoil. A few weeks later, after losing many of their towns to the invaders, the defenders rallied and regrouped.
The next attack was met by stalwart resistance and lastly, a furious counterattack, routing the Drow and slaying hundreds, even high ranking priestesses of Lloth. Their tactics, forces, all were beat in a pitched battle in the darkness, met by rage, determination, and a foe still aware in the deepest darkness.
This setback hurt the Drow, but nearly as badly as it hurt their pride and some of their powerful families. And thus, plans were made, and soon, lightning raids struck some deeper dwellings and mines of the Dwarven city Kraden, a few hundred meters above. The Blame was laid at the Ghost Elves feet, and dwarven warbands started roaming the tunnels, hunting for the demons who slew their brethren. The hunted and battled the cornered Ghost Elves furiously, and they, under attack from all sides retreating further into the recesses of their realm.
Things came to a head when Raithen, their warlord, managed to stall several dozen in a cavern beneath a dormant volcano. Amongst steaming pools of sulfurous water, they used all their cunning to lead another attack party of Drow into the fray with a feigned retreat. The dark elves, unwittingly, used Alchemic vials of acid and fire, bombarding their fleeing prey. Before they even realized the error of their actions, several Dwarves were rolling on the floor, writhing and dying. it started going downhill from there, with the dwarves indiscriminately attacking everyone, the Ghost Elves hanging on for bare life, and the Drow slaughtering everyone they got hold of.
In the end, though, numbers prevailed, and Raythen, now ruler of the last few Ghost Elves, prepared to make a stand after fleeing further and further towards the surface. Only a few dozen feet below the dwarven city, they dug in ready for the last battle. Two days of fighting ensued, with the Drow trying to finish up their crusade, and the dwarves trying desperately to drive the warbands away from their city, back into the deep.
The ghost Elves faltered. None were spared, neither women nor children, and the caves ran red. Outmatched by the stealth and range of their foes, the lumbering dwarves were cut up and decimated, with their city ablaze in Fire. Even though the Drow settlement came close to breaking over the casualties of that war, thousands of their enemies died that time, and to this day, months later, you can find a scarred dwarf telling of you the slaughter of his clan and the death of his city, of the demons of the deep and their demise.

And had not a lieutenant of their late warlord led a few of them on a daring escape upwards, the last of the Ghost Elves might have died that day. They arrived in a cruel and harsh environment, with only a few merciful hours of darkness, and a long, agonzing time under the suns glaring, baleful eye, living of whatever they could hunt or steal, hunting animals and killing travellers and traders in the night.
And though the nights have become longer, now bounty hunters roam the land, searching for a new menace in the woods(Plot hook?) while the nights are getting colder.

And thus the wait, a people without a past, with no real prospects of a future.......

EvilElitest
2007-03-27, 08:06 PM
Nice fluff i have to say
from,
EE

Baron Corm
2007-03-27, 09:14 PM
why do they have jet black hair if they are albino?

mabriss lethe
2007-03-27, 10:28 PM

Because no-one needs a race of Michael Moorcock style Elric clones? Just a thought...

Kioran
2007-03-28, 02:01 AM

This is the one crime against logics I commit for the sake of aesthetics.....they looke better that way.

And now, I bring to you the "Shrouded Stalker", this races specific Class - It can of course be used by other races, though I wouldnīt recommend it because some of the class Features depend on/expand upon blazing darkvision and blindsight, which most donīt possess.

Hit die: d8
Skills: (6+Int)
Class Skills:
Balance(Dex), Climb(Str), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Disable Device(Dex), Escape Artist(Dex), Heal(Wis), Hide(Dex), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge(dungeoneering and nature) (Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Search(Int), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex)
Proficiencies: The shrouded Stalker is proficient with all Simple weapons, Bolas, Shuriken, the Longsword and the Greataxe. He is also proficient with light and medium armor, bur ganis no shield proficiency.

Shrouded Stalker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Tunnel Weapom

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Lurking predator

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Weapon Focus

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Predatorīs Strike

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Weapon Ability, Mantle of Darkness

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Blindsight +15ft., base land speed +10ft.

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|Predatorīs Lunge

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Weapon Ability

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|Flashing Attack

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Shroud of Darkness

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Improved Critical

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|base land speed +20ft., Weapon Ability

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|Improved Lunge

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Weapon Ability

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Flashing Savagery

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Weapon Ability

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Blindsight +45 ft.[/table]

Iīll go into the details about the class features and the Weapons later.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-28, 01:50 PM
I personally would give them a -2 (or -4) penalty to fortitude saves in day-light rather than damage. Actual damage isn't realistic, it's not how sunburn works. Unless they're under some kind of Vampire-style curse it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that it's unbalancing to give three racial bonuses along with a +1 LA but it just doesn't feel right. Are you sure they need all those bonuses for fluff purposes?

Kioran
2007-03-28, 02:15 PM
I personally would give them a -2 (or -4) penalty to fortitude saves in day-light rather than damage. Actual damage isn't realistic, it's not how sunburn works. Unless they're under some kind of Vampire-style curse it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that it's unbalancing to give three racial bonuses along with a +1 LA but it just doesn't feel right. Are you sure they need all those bonuses for fluff purposes?

The Wisdom and the Dex, yes. These are "fluffily justified". I donīt know about intelligence though.

I see that the lethal sunburn is a point most of you contest. I maintain that it is entirely possible to die from severe sunburn - It is just like an ordinary burn, just slower. Doesnīt kill you from blood loss or organ failure, but from loss of bodily fluid and poisoning from the decomposing tissue. Large area burns remain life threatening.
Besides, how else would you really enforce moving at night?

EvilElitest
2007-03-28, 03:55 PM
The Wisdom and the Dex, yes. These are "fluffily justified". I donīt know about intelligence though.

I see that the lethal sunburn is a point most of you contest. I maintain that it is entirely possible to die from severe sunburn - It is just like an ordinary burn, just slower. Doesnīt kill you from blood loss or organ failure, but from loss of bodily fluid and poisoning from the decomposing tissue. Large area burns remain life threatening.
Besides, how else would you really enforce moving at night?

1. Yes their is lethal sunburn. But even albanos don't die from it just from walking in the sun. They are more likely to get sunburn and skin cancer, and will die if they go sun bathing, but no they will not die just by walking around. A ghost elf will die
2. Give them the major minuses i mentioned before. With those in mind, as well as lethal damage if in the sun for more than an hour will make sure characters will be careful running around in the sun. It will be an option, but a last resort option
from,
EE

Kioran
2007-03-28, 04:20 PM
Maybe I can resolve some of this by finally writing down a little story nestled in the back of my minf for over a year......
Anyways, whatever Iīll do, iīll do on the morrow. It is quite late over here.....stay tuned

Kioran
2007-03-29, 05:38 PM
The Class Features of the Shrouded stalker:

Tunnel Weapon: The shrouded Stalker gains, upon attaining the first class level, proficiency with either the tunnel lance, the heavy shortblade or ghost elven throwing knives. These Weapons are considered Exotic otherwise. Weapon Focus and improved critical, gained as class feature, apply to the weapon selected.

The Weapons

{table=head]Name|Price|Dmg(S)|Dmg(M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type

Heavy shortblade|10gp|1d6/1d4*|1d8/1d6*|x3|
10ft.|3lbs.|slashing
Throwing Knife |10gp|1d4|1d6|19-20/x2|
20ft.|1lbs.|slashing or piercing
Tunnel Lance(ranged)|20gp|1d6|1d8|x3|
-|11lbs.|slashing or piercing
Lance(split form)**|20gp|1d6|1d8|x2|
-|11lbs.|slashing[/table]

* Use the lower numbers if the Weapon is thrown
** In split form, the tunnel Lance(similiar to a Glaive or Naginata in full length) is disamssembled into two parts, creating a short, cleaver-type Weapon and the lower half, which grants a +2 Shield bonus to AC. Assembly or disassembly takes a move action.

Weapon Abilities(sorted by weapon):
General
Second Weapon: The Character gains proficiency with a second Tunnel Weapon, applying class feature Weapon Focus and Improved Critical to that weapon as well.
Weapon Specialization: As per Fighter Feat. Can be taken allthough a Stalker doesnīt fullfil the prerequisites

Heavy Shortblade
Secondary Blade: The Stalker may attack normally with either Shortblade if he uses two of them. Neither Hand is considered the Off hand(In case one is broken/damages/Whatever). The stalker also gains a +1 Shield Bonus for the second shortblade. Normal rules of Two Weapon Fighting do not apply.
Denying Blades While wielding dual Shortblades, the character cannot be flanked
Blade Fling: Once per turn, if he wields dual Shortblades, a Stalker may throw one of the Shortblades as a swift action at full BAB
Passing slash: A stalker may attack any one creatures within attack range during a move Action as the following standard action
Continous Lunge The stalker may attack as per "Predators lunge" if he has done so during his last turn, allowing for repeated lunge attacks.

Ghost Elven Thrown Knives
Combat Throw This Counts as Point Blank shot in regard to the thrown knives. Throwing these Knives does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Blade Fling: Once per turn, a Stalker may throw one of these knives as a swift action if he has not already used a ranged attack this turn
Far Shot Character gains the Far Shot Feat
Quick Draw Character gains the Quick Draw Feat
Rapid throwing The Character may throw one additional Knife at highest BAB if using a full attack action
Fan of Knives Instead of a "Predators Lunge" this character may throw a Fan of the 3 knives at his highest BAB, with a bonus of +5 to damage for each knife.

Tunnel Lance
Rapid Assembly: Assembling or diassembling the lance becomes a swift action
Improved Shaft Block: Increase the Shield Bonus to AC from the split tunnel lance to +3.
Greater Shaft Block: Increase the Shield Bonus to AC from the split tunnel lance to +4. Requires Improved Shaft Block.
Denying Shaft: While using the split Form of the lance, the character cannot be flanked
Shaft Deflect: May Deflect Arrows(as with the feat) once per turn while holding a tunnel lance(regardless of form)
Impaling Lunge: Double the damage if character uses the long form of this weapon in a Predators Lunge.

Lurking predator: While lying in wait, the shrouded stalker closes his eyes and concentrates, slowing his heart, hardly making a sound. He gains an additional Bonus of +2 to his Hide and Listen Checks if he keeps his Eyes closed during hiding.

Mantle of Darkness: The Hide and Listen Bonuses from a Lurking predator maneuver increase to +4.

Shroud of Darkness: The Hide and Listen Bonuses from a Lurking predator maneuver increase to +6.

Predatorīs strike: If the shrouded stalker opens a fight with a spontaneous attack from a lurking predator position, he gains +2 on his attack rolls and damage rolls during the surprise round. Additionally, he gains a +2 class bonus to Initiative for the remainder of the encounter.

Predatorīs Lunge: If the shrouded stalker opens a fight with a spontaneous attack from a lurking predator position, he may attack after moving up to his move range without provoking attacks of opportunity(also counts for repeated lunges). This attack is at a +4 attack bonus and deals +10 additional damage. The shrouded stalker also gains a +4 class bonus to Initiative for the remainder of the encounter.

Flashing Attack: This is a secret art of fighting which uses the common, monochromatic darkvision against itīs posessors, making the stalkers weapon hard to follow. Any creature using Darkvision in a fight against a shrouded stalker receives a -2 penalty against AC against attacks by this stalker.

Flashing Savagery: Once per round, as a swift action, a Stalker using a flashing attack may intimidate the defender as a swift action.

Anyway, thatīs it. Since this is my first class, any comment or advice is welcome. Iīll add some fluff for the weapons and a short story during the next days.

UserClone
2007-06-14, 11:05 AM
Maybe Night Elf would be a better name, or something else if Night Elf is taken, like Shadow Elf, or Twilight Elf, as ghost elves was already taken, and are really sweet, in Dragon#313.

osyluth
2008-01-26, 12:31 AM
Hey look, another elf subrace. :wink:

EvilElitest
2008-01-26, 01:16 AM
Wow, i remember this thread from ages ago. Dude, that was a while ago, i've been using these guys for ages sense
from
EE