PDA

View Full Version : When You Call (Persona-SotVD)

Kioku
2014-11-26, 11:56 AM
It is a tune-humming Asami that walks the halls of the dorm this evening, having just returned home from work. I'll tell them all this weekend, she thinks to herself, having had her job discovered already by two of her dorm-mates. The fact that she probably won't be able to hide it for long once summer break starts has nothing to do with it. Really. An ear twitches as she unexpectedly hears a voice from one of the girls' dorm rooms, the one she isn't on her way to for changing. She slows her pace slightly when she thinks her hears her name, with a slight frown. It's none of my business, and I shouldn't intrude on a private conversation, but...

banthesun
2014-11-26, 10:24 PM
"Ahahahahahaha! Yes, yes, exactly!" Kyoko squirmed with delight, lying on her back and talking on the phone. "Right, right, but get this: so she replies 'I must be scheming some horrible plot to organize a gang of the friendliest and brightest students around!' Yeah, really!" Kyoko continued, putting on an impression of Asami's voice. "I know! I mean like, wow, I really thought that would have shut anyone up!"

As she talked, Kyoko was having so much fun she was completely forgetting to keep her voice down...

Kioku
2014-11-26, 11:35 PM
Asami blinks a few times and stops walking, then lets out a slight giggle before taking a couple of steps toward the door and poking her head in to let Kyoko know she's there. The first overheard bit was accidental, but one does not continue overhearing a friend without their knowledge, nor interrupt their conversation - not unless one wants to risk trust issues in the future, anyway. She seems really happy. This thought from observing her friend fills Asami with warmth and causes a smile of her own to break out.

banthesun
2014-11-26, 11:45 PM
The door creaked a bit as Asami stuck her head inside, catching Kyoko's attention.

"Oh, Asami? Oh, Mariko, she actually just turned up, uh, sorry, I'll call you back in just a bit!" Kyoko hurridly ended the call and flipped her phone shut. She sat up to face Asami. "Uh, we weren't- well, I guess we were talking about you. But it, uh, well, we were talking about otherthings too!" Kyoko rubbed the back of her neck as she spoke, with an embarrassed grin on her face.

Kioku
2014-11-27, 12:42 AM
"I don't mind!" Asami says hastily. "Nothing bad, I hope, but I didn't mean to interrupt. You just sounded so happy, like you were having a lot of fun, and..." she sways gently on her feet and shrugs, biting her lip in a sheepish smile.

banthesun
2014-11-27, 01:43 AM
"Oh, that was Mariko. She's a friend from my old school, uh, sorta my best friend. Uh, not that you're- uh-"

Kyoko blushed and looked at the ground. Well, Asami is kinda like- No! Mariko is special, that's what best friends are about, after all! But still...

"Uh, nothing bad! It was just about the stuff that happened at the sushi place. We kinda talk about everything."

Kioku
2014-11-27, 04:08 AM
Asami shakes her head quickly, hair flying a bit. "Nnmh, don't worry! It was really nice seeing you that way. It's infectious! I don't mind if you talk about things that happened in public, after all." She giggles a little again and tilts hear head, apparently (although not actually) confused by Kyoko's... well... confusion, over what to say. She slips in the doorway, pushing it mostly closed somewhere along the way, and soon is sitting next to her friend.

banthesun
2014-11-27, 04:42 AM
"Ah, okay, I'm glad you don't mind!" Kyoko smiled. "I guess I have been talking about a lot of stuff with her. Eh, some people miiiiight call it gossiping, but it's more like, you know, when you have someone you can talk to about anything?" Kyoko didn't stop to think whether Asami might actually know the feeling she was talking about, she just asumed Asami would have experienced something similar.

Kioku
2014-11-28, 01:31 AM
Asami nods a few times, feeling a small jolt of pain that doesn't show except by a slight twitch of her hand. I thought I'd always have Akemi... but now I do have Tsubaki and Miyuki, and Akemi always liked to make more friends, so she'd probably want me to too. She leans toward Kyoko a bit and closes her eyes in thought. "I do. It's... really nice to have people like that."

banthesun
2014-11-28, 01:53 AM
Kyoko didn't notice Asami's small tell, and she nodded vigourously. "Yeah, it really is! It, well, it's just a shame we don't get to see each other anymore..." she frowned for a moment, but quickly lightened up again. "And it's a shame you couldn't meet her too, I'm sure you'd get along really well!"

Kioku
2014-11-28, 03:29 AM
Asami opens her eyes and frowns slightly. "See or not, you do still keep in touch, though. And she's still alive, so who is to say that I shan't meet her some day?"

banthesun
2014-11-28, 03:55 AM
Kyoko was a bit taken aback by Asami's morbid comment, but she did her best to brush it off.

"Uh, I guess that's true. Hopefully you will get to meet her then! Uh, even if it is a long way away. Still, I think it is better talking to people face to face," Kyoko pondered, "though I guess we do talk a lot to try and make up the difference!"

Kioku
2014-11-28, 07:26 PM
"Mmh, face to face is nice. It always feels like something is missing, when the person you want to commune with isn't right there beside you." Asami looks somewhere between wistful and longing. "When you can't see them, touch them, sometimes it's like you have to question whether they even exist."

banthesun
2014-11-28, 11:06 PM
Wow, Asami really does understand! I wonder if this has to do with missing her family or something...

Kyoko looked downcast and nodded again. "Mhmm. It's like, we talk almost every day, but it really feels like we're drifting apart... And like, there's all this stuff I can't tell her about, with personas, and shadows, and that... It really does feel different now..."

Kioku
2014-11-29, 12:29 AM
"I'm sorry." Asami rests a hand on Kyoko's shoulder with a concerned look. "Most people I talk to live here, in this dorm. I can talk to them about those things. I'm sorry you have to keep them from your best friend, that... must feel awful."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 12:42 AM
"Uh, thanks, I guess... It's not like I really want to talk about that stuff with her anyway, but, yeah, you know..." Kyoko gave a small smile and leant in closer to Asami. When she spoke again it was in a quiet voice. "I'm... I'm glad I have you here, though. Most of my friends back home were Mariko's friends, so... I guess I was a bit worried..."

Kioku
2014-11-29, 03:25 AM
Asami hums in understanding and moves her arm from Kyoko's shoulder to around her back in a half-hug. "No need to worry now." It seems like she'd say more, but... there's nothing else to say that wouldn't ruin the moment, and everything she wants to communicate is, to her mind, already implied.

banthesun
2014-11-29, 03:45 AM
Kyoko tried to return the hug, but with her weak arm she could only presume it wasn't as comforting as Asami's hug was, so she just snuggled in close and hoped the meaning was obvious.

Hmmm, Asami smells of mirin, she must be just back from work... This is nice, but it kinda feels like Asami has to comfort me a lot...

"Hey, Asami... If you ever need help... I'd like to be there for you..." Kyoko spoke slowly, and her voice was slightly muffled by Asami's shoulder.

Kioku
2014-11-30, 02:37 AM
Asami gives a slight squeeze in acknowledgement and a murmured "thank you." She closes her eyes and takes a long breath to clear her thoughts. "I'm really glad to count you as a friend, you know? You're good at it."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 03:33 AM
Kyoko's eyes widened at Asami's statement. "You really mean that? I thought- I mean, I wasn't sure if I was..." She couldn't find the right words, so Kyoko turned to give Asami a proper hug with both arms.

Kioku
2014-11-30, 04:08 AM
Asami makes a tiny eep of surprise and takes a moment before she lets out a giggle. "Of course, silly, why would you think anything else?" She puts her free arm around Kyoko to return the hug and bumps the sides of their heads together gently.

banthesun
2014-11-30, 05:00 AM
After a few moments Kyoko released the hug, her big smile having returned to her face. When she explained her worry, it was clear she was feeling a lot more casual about it than she had been before.

"Well, like, I was a bit worried that I was maybe taking too much attention, like you had to help me out more than I could help you. But, uh, now I think of it, I remember feeling like that back with Mariko too, especially after the accident."

Kioku
2014-11-30, 11:51 PM
"Believe it or not, I can spare plenty of attention. Studying any more than I already have won't do much good at this point, now that we've started finals, and even if that weren't the case, I can always make time for all of my friends." Asami smiles brightly and cups Kyoko's cheek in her hand. "The only way you need to worry about me not being around, is if I end up on the other side of the country without travel expenses."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 12:59 AM
Kyoko couldn't help blushing when Asami touched her cheek, but she didn't attempt to move away.

"Is that likely?" Kyoko asked, a little surprised, and continued "Uh, maybe I could..." before realising Asami was most likely joking. The idea of a practical way to help Asami out had been a little bit exciting, almost.

"It's really cool that you can look after your friends like that! Just, if you do need help with anything, or need some space, just let me know."

Kioku
2014-12-01, 02:37 AM
Asami's expression falters a little at the question, but flickers back to the smile fast enough to be missed by a blink. "I... I will. Thank you." Her hand drops away just as she darts forward to kiss her friend's forehead as a sign of gratitude and affection. She leans back and re-settles her seated position afterward, hesitant. "It... might be likely," she says after several moments. "I... ahh... don't actually know what I'll do- no, what I'll be able to do, after finishing school. Or where I'll go."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 03:11 AM
"What you'd be able to do? You're so smart you could probably do anything you want! Uh, unless there's something stopping you, I guess..."

Was there something going on with Asami's family? Does she have to look after someone?

Kyoko leant back with Asami, shuffling some blankets behind her to cushion her back. She let out a nervous laugh and continued. "Eheh, I guess I've been thinking more about that kind of stuff too, since last time we talked about it. I've been wondering what kind of job I'd be able to get with my arm like it is... I mean, I can handle myself fine, but wouldn't someone want to hire someone who doesn't have something like that? And like, it might cause trouble when I have to look after a family..." She let out a proper laugh this time. "Haha, not that that's likely to happen for a while! It's not like I've met any boys that I like!"

Kioku
2014-12-01, 04:52 AM
"Mmh..." More than one 'something' at that. Asami looks relieved when her friend keeps talking instead of waiting for her to elaborate. A small grin flicks across her face when Kyoko gets to the last part, and she nods. "I can certainly understand that! I can't say that I have either." A few girls, maybe, but no guys so far. "I'd be open to the possibility, but..." She shrugs. "Just not the right type so far I guess."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 05:56 AM
"Ahahaha! I know, right! I mean, you've told me about the trouble you've been having with guys here. I mean, ugh! That sounds like the definition of 'not the right type' to me! Hearing stories like from makes me feel better about no one having asked me out yet! Well, that and not knowing anyone I'd want to ask me out."

Kyoko was aware she was making light of one of Asami's problems here, but she also felt she was making light of her own problems too, which probably balanced out in some way.

"Hmmm, I wonder if we could use our personas to scare them off some how... We'd have to keep it secret from the instructors though! And I guess if they haven't already been scared off by Tsubaki then it could be tricky," she pondered.

Kioku
2014-12-01, 11:31 PM
Asami breaks out laughing at the mental image. "Oh, I think that Tsubaki is enough on her own to dissuade most of them until you've got your eye on someone." She straightens out and snaps her fingers. "That reminds me! Saito-kun has been looking a lot more nervous lately, but also more cheerful than usual, if it's possible. He miiight have let slip something about one of your friends. Know what's up there?"

banthesun
2014-12-02, 12:00 AM
"Oh, that!" Kyoko covered her mouth as she let out a little laugh. "Apparently Reiko went on a date with him the other day! Uh, she's one who came back to pay for the stuff. Apparently it was her first actual date with a guy! I would have never thought it, since she's always flirting with everyone! Apparently she really likes him! Uh, and she seems to think I had something to do with getting them together," Kyoko admitted, glancing away with a sheepish grin. "She keeps on saying something about needing to set me up with someone now..."

Kioku
2014-12-02, 08:12 PM
"Sounds a little like me. Shameless flirt, but it's just one way I show affection for my friends. And coerce Shadows into fighting on our side for a while. And distract or trip up bullies or get through crowds... huh. I flirt a lot more than I realized." Asami puts on a look of something between annoyance and deep thought, although it's obvious she's just playing it up. "So, worried about what she might do in this quest to set you up with someone?" She drops the expression in favor of a barely held back snicker.

banthesun
2014-12-02, 11:52 PM
Kyoko gave Asami a playful shove. "You haven't been 'leading people on,' have you?" she asked with a cheeky grin.

"I'm not so worried about what she might do..." Kyoko paused, clearly struck by a new thought. "Actually, she has had some pretty crazy ideas before, maybe I should be worried? Anyway, it's more that it's embarrassing because I didn't even do anything! I was just talking to you, and you pretended I was talking about that. Hey, she should be blaming you then! Uh, even if you didn't actually do anything."

Kioku
2014-12-03, 01:03 AM
Asami lets the shove rock her to the side, then the momentum swing her back against Kyoko, at which point she answers, "Not on purpose?" She wobbles a little longer, attentive while her friend keeps talking.

"Huh. I suppose it is a little bit my fault for giving her that idea." She thinks on this then breaks out into maniacal laughter. "Excellent. All is going as I have- hey!" Asami appears to have picked up a pillow while laughing and just hit herself with it. The 'evil' exposition gives way to giggling and dropping the pillow as she flops backward onto the bed. "Hehe. I want to see what kinds of ideas she comes up with, now. Ooh! Think she'll let me help plan them?"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 01:31 AM
"Hehe, I don't think she really plans her ideas..." Kyoko replied with a smile. "But I bet she'd be happy to share them with you! I bet you'd get on pretty well! Uh, that is, unless Hikari doesn't want her hanging out with you..." Kyoko had been having fun talking to Asami, so her face quickly cleared, and she continued, "Oh, apparently one time she organised herself a band to busk for the student council elections! Everyone says they were really terrible!"

Kioku
2014-12-03, 01:56 AM
Asami winces a little at the mention of a bad band, but is internally frowning at 'Hikari.' More at the idea of someone trying to control who their 'friends' could and couldn't hang out with, or what they did with their lives. She doesn't let the anger show, and decides instead to focus on the ideas and plans. "We probably would. Maybe the three of us should get together some time! Not like 'Hikari' needs to know or anything." She stretches and sits back up again. "About the band though, I wonder... why??"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 02:05 AM
"Ahuh, you should talk to her!" Kyoko replied, the thought of organising a time to hang out herself not having even occured to her. "It was before I transferred, but apparently she'd promised one of the candidates that she'd do something to help with his campaign. I don't think anyone really expected her to go through with it though!"

Kioku
2014-12-03, 02:46 AM
"That's an interesting way of... 'helping'." Kyoko's friend sounded like a pretty fun person. Asami's impressions mainly included spontaneity, a strange brand of honor in keeping her word, and of course flirtation. "Well, at least this gives me something to tease Saito-kun about if I really need it..." She shakes with silent laughter and scoots away to partly face Kyoko. "It'll probably have to be after we get back though. Oh! How do you feel about finals so far?"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 03:19 AM
Kyoko grimaced at the mention of finals. "Err, I've been studying harder than I was before midterms, but... err, I'm not that confident... There's been so much new stuff introduced since then! I bet you're doing all right though! You probably had it all down before the teachers even showed it to us!" Kyoko stopped herself, realising that that could be putting pressure on Asami. "Uh, you're not having trouble with it, right? I hope not!"

Kioku
2014-12-03, 03:45 AM
Stupid! Asami berates herself. I shouldn't have brought that up! She looks a little uncomfortable, but feels several times worse from the high opinion her friend has. Not that she's wrong, the finals are just tests and the material is rather easy, but Asami still dislikes attention being brought to her comfort with it. "Err... I guess," she mumbles with a faint blush and a squirm. "Sorry for mentioning it..."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 03:53 AM
"Eh, it's alright," Kyoko replied with a shrug. "Just gotta study hard for a bit, then holidays! And then..." She sat straight up, pumping her fists with a gleam in her eyes. "Okinawa!"

Kioku
2014-12-03, 05:01 AM
Even though she's still uncomfortable, Asami lets out a small amused sound at her friend's antics. "I lived there my whole life and let me tell you, it's nothing to get excited about. There's only so much hot, humid weather on a tiny island that one can take. It'll be nice to see my brother though, he was always a lot less..." She trails off, shaking her head.

banthesun
2014-12-03, 05:29 AM
"Awww!" Kyoko was less disappointed at Asami's description than her lack of enthusiasm.

"I'm sure it'll be great!" she reaffirmed. "Beatiful beaches, summer festivals! And it'll be nice to meet your family too!" By now it was clear she was just fantasising about the trip. "Hey, do you think the beaches would be full, since we're going in the summer holidays? Actually, you're a local, you probably know some awesome secret beaches we can go to or something!"

Kioku
2014-12-03, 05:49 AM
"Don't worry about beaches, my family's house is kind of... uhh... on one." Asami tucks up her legs and lays her head on her knees, facing toward Kyoko. "It's funny actually. I guess you already know we've... never had much money. At all. But for some reason, my parents won't sell the house. We've had offers from a bunch of people who want to build a resort there, but..." she trails off and shrugs, completely confused.

banthesun
2014-12-03, 06:24 AM
"Your family's house is on a beach!?" Kyoko's eyes were really shining now. "That's amazing!"

Despite her enthusiasm, Kyoko was still able to silently take in Asami's comment about her family's money trouble. She'd suspected as much for a while, but it was good to have confirmation.

"If it's on a beach, wow, I can see why they might not want to sell it. I mean, a family home like that must be worth more than money, if you understand? I think it must be nice having your family together like that, even if you don't have that much money. Uh, not that I'd really know."

Kioku
2014-12-03, 05:59 PM
Asami twitches violently at something said. "Together. Right." She gets up off the bed, barely holding in something that looks and feels a little bit like hatred. "I should go change out of my work clothes and take a bath. Thank you for talking, I enjoyed it... sorry to have interrupted your phone call." She starts moving to the door, whispering something to herself darkly. The only word discernible is "home."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 11:56 PM
Kyoko looked shocked at Asami's reaction. What did I say!? She reached a hand out after Asami as she left, as if wanting to stop her.

"Asami... What... Are you alright?"

Kioku
2014-12-04, 12:57 AM
Asami stands, head down and eyes closed in the doorway. She feels unsafe to be around, but doesn't want to leave on a bad note. Not that a good note is possible right now, so best to settle for as... not-bad as it can be. "I'm going to that place to see my brother and to hopefully have fun with friends. But I'm certainly not going... 'home'."

banthesun
2014-12-04, 01:26 AM
"Oh, I didn't realise... Sorry, I shouldn't have said..." Kyoko's eyes were fixed on the ground as she replied, but she glanced up to at least look at her friend as she finished. "Sorry."

Kioku
2014-12-04, 02:04 AM
"Don't be. You'll be one of the people making it better, after all." Asami leaves after giving that parting... reassurance? Whatever it is, she clearly isn't personally offended, just angry at some thought or memory.

banthesun
2014-12-04, 04:22 AM
Kyoko still looked concerned as Asami left, even with her reassurances.

I'm making it better? I guess that's good, but I just wish there was something I could actually do! I guess she's not really ready to share her problems after all...

Kyoko lay on her back and sighed. She picked up her phone and sent a text to Mariko that she'd call back soon. For now, she'd need some time to think.