PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Necropolitan Bard / Cleric with the Urge to Theurge?

Chester
2014-11-26, 12:16 PM
Does it work?

ECL 10, Necropolitan Priest of Hades / Some Kind of Bard. 36 point buy. What does he look like? Is it viable? EDIT: Mystic Theurge?

(Yes, he'll be my undead cohort. I've asked previous questions regarding different types of cohorts, but this seems best considering the direction my party is moving. We'll be raising an army to sack a city and remove the anti-magic government. I plan to use this to my advantage and seize power for myself. This cohort will help those ends. Building him this weekend. That's final.)

Nightraiderx
2014-11-26, 12:41 PM
I'm assuming he's evil?

Bard 5/Urpriest 2/Mystic Theruge 3

At lvl 11 sublime chord dip and fill with theruge/ bard.

at lvl 10, he'll have enough IC (use substitution for song of the heart)

Chester
2014-11-26, 04:37 PM
Definitely evil.

Would Dirgesinger work with this?

Venger
2014-11-26, 05:13 PM
Definitely evil.

Would Dirgesinger work with this?

no, because it does not advance casting.

Troacctid
2014-11-26, 09:23 PM
Most theurges aren't Bard-friendly because they strip away all the skills and class features that make you a Bard, so that all that's left is a crappier version of a Sorcerer. Fochlucan Lyrist is, I believe, the only exception--I'd recommend it, except that it's a royal bitch to qualify for. (You need evasion, which usually requires a dip in a non-casting class, and you need to speak Druidic, which is a secret language that only Druids learn. And then even if your DM is gracious enough to let you sneak in by way of a Ring of Evasion and some "I'm totally a Druid, I swear, please teach me Druidic" disguise/bluff shenanigans, you still need 13 ranks in Perform, so you can't get in before level 10.)

If you don't go that route, your best bet is Sublime Chord, because it has casting that's actually worth advancing even if you don't get the other benefits of being a Bard.

Chester
2014-11-27, 08:56 AM
At lvl 11 sublime chord dip and fill with theruge/ bard.

If you don't go that route, your best bet is Sublime Chord, because it has casting that's actually worth advancing even if you don't get the other benefits of being a Bard.

So, if I go Bard 5 / Ur Priest 2 / Theurge 3, then dip Sublime Chord, can I apply Theurge to Sublime Chord later?

WhamBamSam
2014-11-27, 01:13 PM
So, if I go Bard 5 / Ur Priest 2 / Theurge 3, then dip Sublime Chord, can I apply Theurge to Sublime Chord later?Yes. Also note that it needs to be the Savage Bard variant to meet the base Fort Save prerequisite for Ur-Priest.

Chester
2014-11-27, 04:50 PM
Yes. Also note that it needs to be the Savage Bard variant to meet the base Fort Save prerequisite for Ur-Priest.

Well with a high enough Con score before he goes undead, I can get around this.

Is it possible to meet the prerequisite via something like a Ring of Resistance +2?

WhamBamSam
2014-11-27, 05:46 PM
Well with a high enough Con score before he goes undead, I can get around this.

Is it possible to meet the prerequisite via something like a Ring of Resistance +2?No. You cannot. Ur-Priest refers to base save bonus. High Con and items don't work. You need a +3 Fort from class levels alone. So Bard 5 won't cut it, but Savage Bard 5 will, regardless of what other variables there might be.