PDA

View Full Version : Who's scrying in #698, bottom panel?

RighteousWarior
2014-11-26, 02:09 PM
I recently re-read through the oots archive. I can't figure out who is scrying on Mr.Scruffy in #698. Anyone now? What am I missing?

Jasdoif
2014-11-26, 02:12 PM
That was Zz'dtri.

cheesecake
2014-11-28, 08:38 PM
ding ding. crazy drow

Sartharina
2014-11-28, 11:49 PM
Can we get this thread stickied?:smalltongue:

Porthos
2014-11-29, 01:39 AM
Can we get this thread stickied?:smalltongue:

Wouldn't help much. :smalltongue:

For instance, back in the day, there used to be a sticky thread for Haley's Aphasia. People still started threads asking for translations/solutions.

ti'esar
2014-11-29, 01:41 AM
This is why I used to carry around a link to that quote in my signature.

Cizak
2014-11-29, 08:17 AM
If I remember correctly, Rich hinted at devoting a bonus strip in BRitF to this due to it not being clear enough in the online version.

littlebum2002
2014-11-29, 09:02 AM
A better question would be:

Does Mr. Scruffy have Detect Scrying?

DaggerPen
2014-11-29, 05:20 PM
If I remember correctly, Rich hinted at devoting a bonus strip in BRitF to this due to it not being clear enough in the online version.

I recall that as well though I can't seem to find it (it may not be in the index). Either way, I doubt it'll help all that much.

Porthos
2014-11-29, 05:32 PM
I recall that as well though I can't seem to find it (it may not be in the index). Either way, I doubt it'll help all that much.

The post in question.

Near as I can tell, ThePhantsam decided not to put it into the Index when he was curating

=====
ETA::: Looking back, he didn't include the fact that it would be in the book because (presumably) the comment was redundant and/or trivial.

The post that talks about the scrying eye being Zz'dtri is presently in the Index under Scrying in the Desert.
=====

The thread was a much more informal at the time. :smalltongue:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-11-29, 07:48 PM
This is why I used to carry around a link to that quote in my signature.

I think at one point that was the most sigged comment.

137beth
2014-11-29, 08:03 PM
I think at one point that was the most sigged comment.

It's still in some Gift-bearing Jeraff's sigs.

Peelee
2014-11-30, 12:28 AM

Huh. I've always been under the impression that the Jeraff itself was a Gift.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-11-30, 12:30 AM

Huh. I've always been under the impression that the Jeraff itself was a Gift.

It could be both. A Gift of a Gift-bearing Jeraff.

RighteousWarior
2014-12-01, 02:42 PM
Interesting. But there isn't an actual link between Z and the scry in the comic itself?

Keltest
2014-12-01, 02:44 PM
Interesting. But there isn't an actual link between Z and the scry in the comic itself?

The magic aura colors match, but in the online comic there is nothing that explicitly points to Z and nobody else.

Kornaki
2014-12-01, 02:48 PM
The link is drawn more directly in 801:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html

How DID Nale know Elan was in the desert hundreds of miles away? Because ZZ'dtri scried on him, duh.

RighteousWarior
2014-12-08, 04:03 PM
The link is drawn more directly in 801:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html

How DID Nale know Elan was in the desert hundreds of miles away? Because ZZ'dtri scried on him, duh.

Ooh, nice catch! I just kinda brushed over that when I read it the first time. At least now I can put my suspicions to rest. No plot holes here! No sir!

Mike Havran
2014-12-09, 02:12 AM
Anyway, it's more or less regular thing to raise the desert scrying question once in a few months, so thanks for keeping the tradition :smallsmile:

RighteousWarior
2014-12-11, 05:49 PM
Anyway, it's more or less regular thing to raise the desert scrying question once in a few months, so thanks for keeping the tradition :smallsmile:

Oh. Really? I looked three pages back in the forum and didn't find a topic discussing this.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda disappointed at the answer seeing as how Zzz'dtri just popped in and died suddenly and unexpectedly like that. Heh. I bet the lawyers are waiting for him in the afterlife.

137beth
2014-12-11, 07:26 PM
Oh. Really? I looked three pages back in the forum and didn't find a topic discussing this.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda disappointed at the answer seeing as how Zzz'dtri just popped in and died suddenly and unexpectedly like that. Heh. I bet the lawyers are waiting for him in the afterlife.

That would require them to have died...unless you're suggesting that the lawyers are in league with the IFCC?:smalltongue:

Emperordaniel
2014-12-12, 01:29 AM
That would require them to have died...unless you're suggesting that the lawyers are in league with the IFCC?:smalltongue:

They are lawyers. :smalltongue:

RighteousWarior
2014-12-16, 06:16 PM
I have a little theory going that Z didn't actually die when durkula snapped his neck. Of course you do see the exes in his eyes but he could still have gotten raised off-panel by a friend of his or something.

OO! Another dark elf character? PLEASE RICH? PLEAAAASSSEE?

Maybe he/she'll be less....droll?

littlebum2002
2014-12-16, 06:28 PM
I count 12 threads on the subject in the last 4 years

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php?searchid=237030

Peelee
2014-12-16, 06:42 PM
I have a little theory going that Z didn't actually die when durkula snapped his neck. Of course you do see the exes in his eyes but he could still have gotten raised off-panel by a friend of his or something.

OO! Another dark elf character? PLEASE RICH? PLEAAAASSSEE?

Maybe he/she'll be less....droll?

In the absence of any shred of evidence whatsoever, I'd refer to that as a "hope" or "wish" rather than a "theory."

RighteousWarior
2014-12-16, 06:47 PM
Maybe so. After all, Z wasn't a very likable character. Although I did find him amusing in "Dungeon crawlin' fools". In fact, I found him to be HILLARIOUS!

As it stands, this new arc could use a dark elf character. Suppose he figured out what's going on in Durkons head and threatened to tell everyone "Just for fun"? :smallbiggrin:

Emperordaniel
2014-12-17, 02:11 AM
Maybe so. After all, Z wasn't a very likable character. Although I did find him amusing in "Dungeon crawlin' fools". In fact, I found him to be HILLARIOUS!

As it stands, this new arc could use a dark elf character. Suppose he figured out what's going on in Durkons head and threatened to tell everyone "Just for fun"? :smallbiggrin:

Durkula would do the same thing to him that he did to Zz'dtri.

goto124
2014-12-17, 08:27 AM
back in the day, there used to be a sticky thread for Haley's Aphasia.

I searched the forums and found nothing. So... link to that used-to-be-sticky thread please?

littlebum2002
2014-12-17, 09:08 AM
What Haley Said (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?4909-What-Haley-Said-Compilation)

goto124
2014-12-17, 09:19 AM
What Haley Said (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?4909-What-Haley-Said-Compilation)

that's what she said

EDIT: This is how it was translated. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=1104847&postcount=75)

littlebum2002
2014-12-17, 09:22 AM
But it doesn't explain HOW those things were translated in the first place...

All you need is a Crytogram solver, there's a bunch of them online.

Peelee
2014-12-17, 10:50 AM
All you need is a Crytogram solver, there's a bunch of them online.

Hell, I didn't even do that. I just looked for likely clues (a single letter word, for instance, is obviously "a", a two-letter word is probably "is", for instance), and worked backwards from there. Translated most of the strips, and got pretty much all the context without knowing about the books or the thread.

Crytogram solver would have been simpler. I am not a smart man.

littlebum2002
2014-12-17, 11:21 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I also use walkthroughs when I play video games.

factotum
2014-12-17, 11:21 AM
(a single letter word, for instance, is obviously "a"

Or "I"... :smallwink:

Peelee
2014-12-17, 11:23 AM
Or "I"... :smallwink:

yeah, but that was easy to catch because it would have been capitalized. Take THAT!

Jasdoif
2014-12-17, 05:22 PM
Hell, I didn't even do that. I just looked for likely clues (a single letter word, for instance, is obviously "a", a two-letter word is probably "is", for instance), and worked backwards from there. Translated most of the strips, and got pretty much all the context without knowing about the books or the thread.

Crytogram solver would have been simpler.Simpler, maybe, but nowhere near as fun.