PDA

View Full Version : Friend new to DnD, DM wants to run a module

ZamielVanWeber
2014-11-26, 04:18 PM
But what module to run? Can anyone recommend some fun lower level ones? (Free/online is definitely better, as the only ones I have currently are Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft).

LoyalPaladin
2014-11-26, 05:05 PM
I am DMing a group of newbies currently and have found that it is pretty easy / fun for them to putz around in the H1-E3 4.0 setting. I just convert it to 3.5 as I go. Simple story and neat places. Some guy made a well done PDF of the whole thing somewhere, I will link it if I find it.

Edit
I found it! (http://community.wizards.com/forum/homebrew-campaigns/threads/1594916)

Venger
2014-11-26, 05:12 PM
ravenloft is an especially difficult module, and I wouldn't recommend it to first-timers. the monsters are dangerous and are largely played smart.

I'd recommend "eyes of the lich queen," an eberron module. I had a lot of fun with it.

atemu1234
2014-11-26, 05:59 PM
Tomb of Horrors. Because how better to learn than through a thousand deaths?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-26, 06:00 PM
I recommend Forge of Fury, it may be 3.0 but the changes required are minimal and on the whole its a pretty good module. Just do as they recommend and ditch the Roper in the basement.

WhamBamSam
2014-11-26, 07:14 PM
I'm currently running a newbie group through a few slightly tweaked modules to get them up to speed before opening the sandbox up to them. Sunless Citadel was a bit too easy (though that may have been in part because they went through at level 3), but they seem to be having fun and getting a challenge out of Red Hand of Doom thus far. So RHoD isn't a bad choice.